Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GoBengals

anyone else cut the cord and ditched cable tv completely?

Recommended Posts

yesterday, for both financial and practical purposes i suspended my directv service. I would have to pay $200 to cancel, so before i do that i wanted to do a test run that everyone wouldnt be miserable and missing directv. we have an apple tv on every TV, so we have hulu, netflix, HBO Go, etc. also i can torrent shows as needed, for fox, nbc, cbs if a cable login is needed i use my sisters dish network, so i can get most of those apps live as well. If needed cbs has a $5.99/mo package and so on. Right before football season is key, i can get sunday ticket via the xbox a la cart, So iam curious if the cbs and nbc and espn apps will allow me to watch the live local broadcast games streaming for when i am blacked out on sunday ticket, last year 6 games were local broadcast for the bengals.

 

should be an interesting month. and if it goes well we will cut the cable/sat cord for good.

also just saw time warner bought into hulu, so i expect more current programming to hit there, and apple tv is working on inexpensive basic subscription packages. the next tvOS update is said to include a tv guide type system for looking for shows to watch with one click watching..

i hope i am ahead of the curve and not just taking a blind leap here.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You might also want to look into the Sling TV app, they have a skinny package of basic networks for like $20 bucks through the Apple TV. My setup is pretty much the same as yours, although last year I had the NFL GamePass and also I lived in Portland so local blackouts were a non-factor and therefore Sunday Ticket through Xbox a no-brainer. This year, we'll be back in Cincinnati by kickoff so I might not go Sunday Ticket, just Redzone Channel. I suggest just getting a nice Digital Antenna to pick up local networks and broadcasts over the air.

HBONow (requires no cable subscription), Hulu (the extra 4 bucks for no commercials totally worth it), Netflix, Amazon Prime, Sling TV maybe, digital antennas, Sunday Ticket and/or Gamepass, torrentz, and of course YouTube, and I think youre golden.


Sent from my iPad using Go-Bengals.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, GoCommando said:

You might also want to look into the Sling TV app, they have a skinny package of basic networks for like $20 bucks through the Apple TV. My setup is pretty much the same as yours, although last year I had the NFL GamePass and also I lived in Portland so local blackouts were a non-factor and therefore Sunday Ticket through Xbox a no-brainer. This year, we'll be back in Cincinnati by kickoff so I might not go Sunday Ticket, just Redzone Channel. I suggest just getting a nice Digital Antenna to pick up local networks and broadcasts over the air.

HBONow (requires no cable subscription), Hulu (the extra 4 bucks for no commercials totally worth it), Netflix, Amazon Prime, Sling TV maybe, digital antennas, Sunday Ticket and/or Gamepass, torrentz, and of course YouTube, and I think youre golden.


Sent from my iPad using Go-Bengals.com

great advice on the sling tv option, do you know if dish network subscribers can get a discount or use it free? i cant find it anywhere. my sister has dish. 

I was paying for HBO now, going to axe it and go with hbo Go, and showtime anywhere, a friend has those on directv and will give me logins.

HULU, i scored on this, people on ebay for a while were selling year subscriptions for like $15-20, so i bought like $100 worth a few years ago, im still subscribed to hulu commercial free for like 3 more years prepaid up. and time warner just bought into them, so im curious where that goes.

digital anteannas dont work for shit where i live, tried that when we moved in and couldnt afford cable at first, im sure a roof mount good one would work, but it sounds like sling replaced that need i think.

i have amazon prime prepaid for 10 more months as well.

my one big miss is Altitude sports, for nuggets games.... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since I got my own apartment over a year ago I never bought cable and just did the hd antenna along with Netflix and Hulu and personally I love it miss watching some of my sports I could see on cable but It is definitely worth using streaming services over paying the outrageous cable bills


Sent from my iPhone using Go-Bengals.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it seems like Vue is slightly better than SLing as far as cost/channel ratio and amount of devices you can stream at once, BUT the only device on earth PSVue cant stream to is apple tv, which is what i am using everywhere...

cant decide if sling is worth it.... a few more days on the trial

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sling is pretty average, having some quality issues, i dont know if comcast is throttling(assume so) or what, i have 150MB internet service. and its getting degraded quality often, and cutting out a second or two here or there

the native tv apps seem to work well, but im having issues with those as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had TWC briefly and it just wasn't worth it.  Not much of a casual TV-watcher so my broadband & a couple of subscriptions pretty well covers it.  Can watch the Bengals OTA with a halfway decent antenna. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Had TWC briefly and it just wasn't worth it.  Not much of a casual TV-watcher so my broadband & a couple of subscriptions pretty well covers it.  Can watch the Bengals OTA with a halfway decent antenna. 

i would be in a much better spot if i was cincy local. OTA would solve most of my issues. sadly the non football local teams play on cable only channels.

i can get whatever the local braodcast is.. which IS bengals 1/3rd the time. broncos always play the late game

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, GoBengals said:

i would be in a much better spot if i was cincy local. OTA would solve most of my issues. sadly the non football local teams play on cable only channels.

i can get whatever the local braodcast is.. which IS bengals 1/3rd the time. broncos always play the late game

 

The money the NFL could rake in by offering a blackout-free streaming service.. Makes no sense to me.  Watching online through an.. er, nonsanctioned website is a real PITA, tend to be shit quality & cut out at the worst possible moment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

true, but that exclusive directv deal was worth 12 BILLION... so they arent exactly going broke.. but i agree..

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, GoBengals said:

true, but that exclusive directv deal was worth 12 BILLION...

 

Really puts me not ordering Rewind this year into perspective.  Crooked mofos.  :thumbsdown:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, T-Dub said:

 

Really puts me not ordering Rewind this year into perspective.  Crooked mofos.  :thumbsdown:

thats insane money, 1.5billion a year for 8 years, deal was struck in 2014. so 6 years left.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As long as DirecTV has NFL Sunday Ticket I'm not going anywhere.  Been with them since 2004.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Jason said:

As long as DirecTV has NFL Sunday Ticket I'm not going anywhere.  Been with them since 2004.

you can get sunday ticket without directv if you are cunning enough, i got to the point where the only things i watch directv for were Nuggets games and Sunday ticket, so all in all im out Nuggets games, but i will attempt a VPN + NBA League Pass and see how that goes.

going to watch sunday ticket via my xbox or ps4, 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Montana Bengal said:

Does NBA League pass have a Plex channel....

good question. i was using plex channel for nfl game pass, then bengals sent me code for free gamepass so i havent poked around plex much since.. ill have to take a look

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been itching to cancel TWC. Direct TV with AT&T internet might be a really good option...

...but change is so hard :lol:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On August 27, 2016 at 8:29 AM, Enon Bengal said:

I've been itching to cancel TWC. Direct TV with AT&T internet might be a really good option...

...but change is so hard :lol:

 

Don't let it be.  I have been with DirecTV since 2004 and am very happy with them.  Usually when there is an issue it's with a sub-contractor, and when it happens DirecTV has been very willing to take care of it and make up for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So we went to the AT&T store tonight, got a quote for tv, internet, and home phone. Looks like we can save ourselves almost $100 month, it's a no  brainer. One last issue to resolve, worthy of it's own thread in another forum...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...