Getting everyone on their feet...

Guest bengalrick

[quote name='Homer_Rice' date='Sep 10 2005, 05:31 AM']Fifteen bucks! Wow. Give till it hurts.

Your original post had less to do with the means by which relief is being offered to displaced folks and more to do with your attitude towards a class of people in general.

Debit cards don't debase people; people debase people. Does that have a familiar ring to you?
[right][post="145476"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Well then, I guess that I've failed in trying to bring this back.

My issue has always been with the manner of federal relief - an issue that's pretty popular these days. Popular enough to have the othere Mike Brown removed from theatre. Never with with a RACE, as I've been blasted on this board.

Now, the comment about my dollar donations - I laugh in your face. The reasons are for a low dollar contribution, but a high goods donation are many. You'd probably not recoginize them, as you're pretty focused on ONE thing right now. Truth is, the value of all those clothes may have reached a couple of thousand dollars.

I'm not even going to try and catch up on this thread, but the way it looks, if kool keith wasn't racist before, it sure as hell seems that sneaky is trying to make him one. (run-on sentence)

Ok, I have to go burn some crosses now. Later...

Just kidding, seriously.

[quote name='Kool Keith' date='Sep 10 2005, 11:53 AM']Well then, I guess that I've failed in trying to bring this back.[/quote]

Imho, yes. Keep tryin', though. :D

[quote]My issue has always been with the manner of federal relief - an issue that's pretty popular these days.  Popular enough to have the othere Mike Brown removed from theatre.  Never with with a RACE, as I've been blasted on this board.[/quote]

You're the one who "called a spade a spade" and made all those other remarks, then came up with a contradictory and stupid argument about getting these folks a little fluidity. Apply that argument to your gun-fetish and there'd be no 2nd amendment anymore.

[quote]Now, the comment about my dollar donations - I laugh in your face.  The reasons are for a low dollar contribution, but a high goods donation are many.  You'd probably not recoginize them, as you're pretty focused on ONE thing right now.  Truth is, the value of all those clothes may have reached a couple of thousand dollars.
[right][post="145567"][/post][/right][/quote]

Okay, any contribution is good.

"Got no home, got no cash,
My kids are eatin' chicken hash.
Momma's drowned, washed out to sea,
But look at these duds I'm wearing' on me!"

[quote name='steggyD' date='Sep 10 2005, 12:09 PM']I'm not even going to try and catch up on this thread, but the way it looks, if kool keith wasn't racist before, it sure as hell seems that sneaky is trying to make him one. (run-on sentence)

Ok, I have to go burn some crosses now. Later...
Just kidding, seriously.
[right][post="145571"][/post][/right][/quote]

Thats right steggyD, this is all my fault. <_<

It was me that put him up to the "spade is a spade", "human waste" , " scabs of society" and etc. remarks. :huh:

If you did bother to read the posts instead of just assuming,
you would have noticed that I have tried to diffuse the situation.

But just like the powers that run this country, you fail to pay attention to detail.

About time you take the blame for something, sneaky. Now you are on the right track to acknowledging that you are to blame for everything that is wrong on this planet. It is a ten-step program. I hope you stick around for step two.

[quote name='steggyD' date='Sep 10 2005, 04:09 PM']About time you take the blame for something, sneaky. Now you are on the right track to acknowledging that you are to blame for everything that is wrong on this planet. It is a ten-step program. I hope you stick around for step two.
[right][post="145646"][/post][/right][/quote]

[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//24.gif[/img]
Why are you trying to pick a fight with me?
:lol:
I must admit, it is tempting, but I refuse to go there with you today.

[quote name='sneaky' date='Sep 10 2005, 05:24 PM'] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//24.gif[/img]  
Why are you trying to pick a fight with me?
:lol:  
I must admit, it is tempting, but I refuse to go there with you today.
[right][post="145662"][/post][/right][/quote]
Honestly, I'm only trying to amuse myself. I'm attempting to keep my brain at ease. It's anticipating tomorrow's football game, and I'm going absolutely :crazy: .
But if you wanna fight, sure, put em up, bro...
steggyD> :sterb041: <sneaky
Oh yeah, I throw rocks. [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//32.gif[/img]

[quote name='steggyD' date='Sep 10 2005, 04:30 PM']Honestly, I'm only trying to amuse myself. I'm attempting to keep my brain at ease. It's anticipating tomorrow's football game, and I'm going absolutely :crazy: .
But if you wanna fight, sure, put em up, bro...
steggyD> :sterb041: <sneaky
Oh yeah, I throw rocks.  [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//32.gif[/img]
[right][post="145669"][/post][/right][/quote]

1. Why are you nervous? We are playing the Browns for goodness sakes. :)

2. You are not going crazy, I suspect you have been crazy for some time now. :)

3. You better throw rocks at me, considering you punch like a girl. :)

Not really nervous, just can't wait to watch. It's been so long, I need my fix, bad! Pre-season just doesn't cut it for me. It's not the same feeling.

Of course I have always been crazy, please don't share it with the rest of the world.

Yeah, I will throw rocks, like you said, I punch like a girl. So why not find weapons? I don't have to fight "fair", do I?

[url="http://news.yahoo.com/s/kprc/20050914/lo_kprc/2935987"]http://news.yahoo.com/s/kprc/20050914/lo_kprc/2935987[/url]

[quote]Wed Sep 14, 6:05 PM ET

Although thousands of evacuees are still in need of financial help, questions are being raised about how some of them are spending money on debit cards they received from the
American Red Cross and
Federal Emergency Management Agency, KPRC Local 2 reported Tuesday.

Some employees at the Galleria said they saw storm victims using the debit cards to buy expensive gifts, like $250 bracelet, instead of on food or housing.

"I was upset because I donated money like a lot of people, and I think it should have just strictly been used for food and clothing and necessities ? not luxury items that, I mean, I can't even afford," a Galleria employee, who asked to not be identified, told KPRC Local 2.

The Red Cross said it is aware of the problem but admitted that it cannot control where the money is spent.[/quote]

So.... I thought you guys would maybe like to see some follow up from a debit card with virtually no exclusions.

Feel free to comment on the DEBIT CARDS. We've beat that other horse pretty dead by now, I do believe.

And this isn't the first report of this to come out of Texas about the misuse of these cards - it's just the first link I've decided to post. I didn't want to revive this one, but.....

I will not be baited (again).

No, that is not the issue. Abuse of relief funds is not what we are talking about. If we were talking about abuse of relief funds, we would be talking about the ass-dragging and $10k handshakes that determine which NOLA government officials brothers construction firm gets the big rebuilding contracts.

Nope.

Let's get back to Debit Cards v. Vouchers.

Why is everyone so afraid to discuss ^^^ this. Should I start a new thread? Get an alias?

I can't seem to grasp it.

Keith

Guest BengalBacker
[quote name='Homer_Rice' date='Sep 15 2005, 01:52 AM']Agreed.
[right][post="149193"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Come on Homer. He has a legitimate point.

To quote you, "separate the message from the messenger and the messenger's style".

[quote name='BengalBacker' date='Sep 15 2005, 02:55 AM']Come on Homer. He has a legitimate point.

To quote you, "separate the message from the messenger and the messenger's style".
[right][post="149201"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

You're right, backer. Though his point is not legitimate, imho, unless he cares to put it in a better context.

Guest BengalBacker
[quote name='Homer_Rice' date='Sep 15 2005, 08:55 AM']You're right, backer. Though his point is not legitimate, imho, unless he cares to put it in a better context.
[right][post="149269"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Well, I think his point was that if everyone was given what essentially amounts to cash, rather than vouchers or something that could only be used for necessities, some people would spend that money frivolously and abuse money that's supposed to help them get on their feet.

His original post may have been crude and offensive to some, but so are many of BJ's posts.

Am I right?

Guest BlackJesus
[color="red"][i][b]falafel boys turn to chime in [/b][/i][/color]

September 13 broadcast of The Radio Factor, Fox News host Bill O'Reilly

[quote][b]O'REILLY:[/b] [i]Now, what's the real story? The real story is this: Ten percent of Americans, and 10 percent of any society, simply are so chaotic for whatever reason that they're never, ever going to be able to fend for themselves and make a living. They are either substance abusers, they're mentally ill, they're screwed up emotionally beyond -- they can't carry on a conversation, they're catatonic, schizophrenic, whatever it may be. No matter how much money you pour in, they're always going to be in that condition. It's not massive neglect, it's not; it's human nature.

Now, our government has a duty to provide a safety net so these people aren't living under bridges. But some of them are anyway, because all the entitlement money they get they spend on heroin or crack or alcohol. So they can't pay their rent because the money that they're given they spend on drugs and alcohol. So what do you do? Give them more money? They're not going to pay their rent, they're going to spend it on drugs and alcohol. And therefore, they're going to be out on the street with their hand out.

[b]Many, many, many of the poor in New Orleans are in that condition. They weren't going to leave no matter what you did. They were drug-addicted. They weren't going to get turned off from their source. They were thugs, whatever.[/b]

Now the tragedy is that a lot of times these people have children, and society has to take care of their children. Now, to me, I'm much more punitive than -- I would take the children away from these people. If you tested positive for heroin or crack, I'd take your child away, out of the house. All right, I'd rather have the kid in the system than under your control. It's a tough call, but that's what I would do. But it isn't society's neglect, it's the absence of personal responsibility, which the government can not force you to be responsible, not in a free society.[/i][/quote]

[quote name='BengalBacker' date='Sep 15 2005, 03:16 PM']Well, I think his point was that if everyone was given what essentially amounts to cash, rather than vouchers or something that could only be used for necessities, some people would spend that money frivolously and abuse money that's supposed to help them get on their feet.

His original post may have been crude and offensive to some, but so are many of BJ's posts.

Am I right?
[right][post="149451"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

You're right, as far as you go. I think his point went a little further, which was to not use this means of distributing aid because of the potential for abuse, thus depriving the majority of a needed and useful bit of cash. It's why I bring up the gun argument.

Guest BlackJesus
[quote]We all know that you are NOT listening to The Factor.

Where are you pulling this information from? With link, please.[/quote]

[url="http://mediamatters.org/items/200509150001"]http://mediamatters.org/items/200509150001[/url]

[b]you can click on play upper right hand corner and listen to the entire clip unedited[/b]

Homer, I'm not sure how many people clicked on your link, but that has so angry right now..........

First, the debit cards...I'm not going to kick that horse again.

Now, they are basically excusing anyone that cashes a FEMA check that turns out to be fraudulent to the presenter. (With conditions - WEAK conditions, that don't actually have to be anything "official" like a DL, state ID, etc.

This is crazy.

Hey, how many of you have heard about the DEBIT cards being used for Louis Vitton, strip club tabs, and small liquor store bills, including alcohol and scratch-offs?

I have.

[quote name='Kool Keith' date='Sep 21 2005, 01:52 PM']Homer, I'm not sure how many people clicked on your link, but that has so angry right now..........

First, the debit cards...I'm not going to kick that horse again.

Now, they are basically excusing anyone that cashes a FEMA check that turns out to be fraudulent to the presenter. (With conditions - WEAK conditions, that don't actually have to be anything "official" like a DL, state ID, etc.

This is crazy.

Hey, how many of you have heard about the DEBIT cards being used for Louis Vitton, strip club tabs, and small liquor store bills, including alcohol and scratch-offs?

I have.
[right][post="154263"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

So punish [b]THOSE[/b] people, but lets be careful we dont brush [b]EVERYONE[/b] with that wide of a brush.

Archived