Arizona Desert Birds Week

Bengals vs. Cardinals Week 5 referee assignment

Greg Wilson
Thu, Oct 5, 2023, 9:00 PM CDT·1 min read

cb8d553d0e5dcd6fd38e8a03ac19f554

The Cincinnati Bengals will be in Arizona Week 5 to take on the Cardinals who also hold a 1-3 record to this point in the season. The head referee for the game will be Clay Martin.

Martin and his crew had Week 4 off, but in three games they have averaged 10 penalties per game, including the Week 3 game that featured the Miami Dolphins beating the Denver Broncos 70-20 in which 13 flags were thrown.

The Bengals are tied for sixth in the NFL with only 5.3 penalties per game, and the Cardinals are tied for last with 8.5 penalties per game.

The Bengals are the better team on paper, but have struggled with Joe Burrow dealing with a calf injury, but if the game comes down to which team plays a cleaner game, Cincinnati seems to hold the advantage to this point.

https://sports.yahoo.com/bengals-vs-cardinals-week-5-020044390.html

Bengals (1-3) at Cardinals (1-3)

4:05 p.m. ET | Fox | Spread: CIN -3 (44.5)

Storyline to watch: With the exception of last week against 49ers QB Brock Purdy, the Cardinals have been quite good against quarterbacks in first halves this season, holding Sam Howell, Daniel Jones and Dak Prescott to two touchdowns and two interceptions combined while sacking all three eight total times. Arizona will try to keep it going against Joe Burrow, who has gotten off to poor starts all season and has been sacked eight times. -- Josh Weinfuss

Bold prediction: The Cardinals will rush for 175 yards. Cincinnati is 31st in rush defense (giving up an average of 157.0 yards per game), and Arizona is second in rushing yards per attempt (5.3). Combine those factors, and this could be a day for Arizona to make its presence felt on the ground. -- Ben Baby

Stat to know: Arizona QB Joshua Dobbs has thrown four touchdown passes and no interceptions this season. No Cardinals player has ever had five passing touchdowns and zero interceptions in his first five starts with the team since starters were first tracked in 1950.

Matchup X factor: Bengals guards Alex Cappa and Cordell Volson. They rank 65th and 67th out of 67 qualifying guards in pass block win rate. Burrow is clearly not at 100% and needs better protection if he's going to get back on track. -- Walder

What to know for fantasy: The Bengals' defense has allowed the sixth-most rushing yards to running backs. Derrick Henry scored 24.4 fantasy points against Cincinnati's defense last week. The Bengals will now face James Conner. See Week 5 rankings. -- Moody

Betting nugget: Burrow is 27-18-1 ATS in his career but is 0-3-1 ATS this season. He has failed to cover five straight regular-season games. Prior to this current streak, he had never gone longer than two straight games without a cover. Read more.

Moody's pick: Cardinals 24, Bengals 20
Walder's pick: Bengals 23, Cardinals 17
FPI prediction: CIN, 64.3% (by an average of 5.1 points)

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38548015/nfl-week-5-picks-schedule-fantasy-football-odds-injuries-stats-2023#cinari

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Arkansas Bengal said:

The Bengals are tied for sixth in the NFL with only 5.3 penalties per game,

I'm surprised at this. I thought we had more penalties.

I guess it's not the quantity but the timing because a lot of our penalties have come at bad times. 

• Upvote 1

Cincinnati Bengals at Arizona Cardinals (+3)

Sunday, 4:05 p.m. ET (Fox, fubo)

At 1-3, the Bengals are in survival mode. This is a consecutive road game, which makes it tough. Arizona has been feisty so far in going 1-3, but I think this is the week Joe Burrow and the offense get it going for the Bengals. If not, they are done. Burrow has a good day. 

Pick: Bengals 27, Cardinals 23

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/priscos-week-5-nfl-picks-49ers-hold-off-cowboys-Stealers-sink-ravens-as-home-dogs-dolphins-crush-giants/

28 minutes ago, Shebengal said:

I'm surprised at this. I thought we had more penalties.

I guess it's not the quantity but the timing because a lot of our penalties have come at bad times. 

I always like to see people recognize the classic tilt conundrum. 

I would have sworn we had more penalties!  Could it be... timing?  

This is how it's done...

e1b411e1-93f5-4029-a286-6fd25b2de161_tex