Education

claptonrocks

Good question. You can get a high school diploma by showing up to school everyday, whereas getting a GED is undertaken by someone who wants it and works for it, usually while overcoming other obstacles or while working full time. However, not all HS diplomas are created equal. Some HS diplomas reflect hard work done by the students, i.e. , AP classes, extra classes, PSEO classes, etc. 

College diplomas are different. Students commit a lot of time and money to get a college degree. Again, it depends on the degree. A degree in liberal arts or humanities? Maybe not so much. A degree in business, engineering, the medical field, or education? Definitely. But college is not for everyone. 

• Like 1

A bachelor's degree is unfortunately the starting point for a lot of jobs that shouldn't actually require one. But they do require one probably because there's no white-collar equivalent to vocational school in the US.  The poor reputation of for-profit higher education (think University of Phoenix, DeVry, etc.) doesn't help -- and they offer associate and bachelor's degrees anyway. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, CincyInDC said:

A bachelor's degree is unfortunately the starting point for a lot of jobs that shouldn't actually require one. But they do require one probably because there's no white-collar equivalent to vocational school in the US.  The poor reputation of for-profit higher education (think University of Phoenix, DeVry, etc.) doesn't help -- and they offer associate and bachelor's degrees anyway. 

True, but the argument that colleges make for liberal arts degrees is that students learn to think critically and communicate effectively, which are skills that translate into any field. 

When I was in high school (many moons ago), vocational schools at the high school level used to offer a secretarial and/or a clerk typist program, which would be the equivalent of a pink collar program. Also, my high school offered a business track for students wanting to enter the business world right after graduation and not go to college. I don't know if those programs still exist or even exist at the associate degree level.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/20/2023 at 12:09 PM, Shebengal said:

True, but the argument that colleges make for liberal arts degrees is that students learn to think critically and communicate effectively, which are skills that translate into any field. 

When I was in high school (many moons ago), vocational schools at the high school level used to offer a secretarial and/or a clerk typist program, which would be the equivalent of a pink collar program. Also, my high school offered a business track for students wanting to enter the business world right after graduation and not go to college. I don't know if those programs still exist or even exist at the associate degree level.

Maybe if we had a far more educated populace that was capable of critical thinking we might not have had some of them attack our Captial on Jan 6

This is a good argument for at minimum free community college if not a 4 year degree.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

This is a good argument for at minimum free community college if not a 4 year degree.

Our school district does have a program in conjunction with a private foundation where graduates do get a free associate degree from our local community college. I think Cleveland Schools have a similar program.

5 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

They earn credits while in HS?

The program I was referring to is a partnership between Columbus City Schools and a private foundation called I Know I Can where they actually pay the tuition for CCS graduates to go to Columbus State Community College and get an associate degree, and then those students are guaranteed admission into some of the local universities, including OSU to further their education if they choose to. The students have to pay tuition for the further education.

However, CCS does offer a numerous amount of opportunities for students to obtain simultaneous HS and college credit, while still in HS. They partner with OSU for “ Seniors to Sophomores “ where students spend part of their day at OSU and take classes for credit. When my son was in HS, he took an online sociology course through Columbus State that counted for both HS and college credit. There’s a charter school that is a partnership between OSU, Battelle Memorial Institute, and the school districts in Franklin County that emphasizes STEM where the students take classes at OSU. My neighbor went there and started at OSU as a sophomore. There are also AP classes that HS students can take for college credit, if they pass the test. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Shebengal said:

The program I was referring to is a partnership between Columbus City Schools and a private foundation called I Know I Can where they actually pay the tuition for CCS graduates to go to Columbus State Community College and get an associate degree, and then those students are guaranteed admission into some of the local universities, including OSU to further their education if they choose to. The students have to pay tuition for the further education.

However, CCS does offer a numerous amount of opportunities for students to obtain simultaneous HS and college credit, while still in HS. They partner with OSU for “ Seniors to Sophomores “ where students spend part of their day at OSU and take classes for credit. When my son was in HS, he took an online sociology course through Columbus State that counted for both HS and college credit. There’s a charter school that is a partnership between OSU, Battelle Memorial Institute, and the school districts in Franklin County that emphasizes STEM where the students take classes at OSU. My neighbor went there and started at OSU as a sophomore. There are also AP classes that HS students can take for college credit, if they pass the test. 

Sounds like a wonderful program.

To get college credits in HS gives them incentives to study harder .

A good prime for college..

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, claptonrocks said:

Sounds like a wonderful program.

To get college credits in HS gives them incentives to study harder .

A good prime for college..

Not to mention saving money.

I remember my son commenting on how one of his friends signed up for 3 AP classes, while the friend was in the car with us. So I did some quick math and figured out that with these classes, the friend would save $9000 in tuition. Then I asked my son who the stupid person in the car was. 😂

• Upvote 1