How many holes are there to fill?

4 hours ago, sparky151 said:

Hill is a free safety, he just had some issues with his tackling this season. Though not as many as Nick Scott at strong safety. It seems clear that Battle will be starting at the strong side next season. 

Jordan Battle had a 82.5 pff rating as a rookie..

Seems clear to me..😎

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Sure but they also need a starting RT, starting DT, have to consider Tee's replacement, another starting LB, possibly a starting TE, punter's questionable... Then we want to add one or more DB's to the list?

They'd be lucky to get any 2 of those in the draft.  Unless someone's offering 3 first round picks for Browning it just ain't happening.

This is the supposed conundrum of the franchise (at least according to the media): “can’t afford everyone…need cheap rookie deals to get by”. Or, “have to pay X player first…nothing left”. 

Without facts from the inside to go by, I have always theorized that: 

They have Player Y (let’s just call him someone like Boyd or Higgins). Player Y is fully developed and productive. As a backstop, team drafts a few players in mid to later rounds in order to “see what they can do” in the event of catastrophic injury or simply for potential depth. 

Now, Player Y is coming up on a contract. Rightfully, he/agent are going to argue that Player Y deserves to be in a higher pay group because of his proven production. Logical. 

Team (in this case the Bengals) do not operate from a position of strength on the roster, but that the draft (and it’s cheap rookie deals) will fill in the void when they do not wish to negotiate with Player Y. They figure “cheap” mid-round/lower round draftees will fill in OK…maybe. The media then begins their dialogue. 

Team has undeveloped/underachieving players on the roster as backfill for Player Y. They also will play the draft lottery in the hopes of filling key positions vacated by the departures of Player Y’s. All well and good…if you are the NY Jets. 

But Team is not lower tier, they are in the middle of a fragile Championship “window”, wherein the one element they cannot control is time. Drafted players and undeveloped/underachieving players need that element in abundance before they can be in the same production category as Player Y. 

My argument is and has been: why dispatch proven/productive Player Y’s in the hopes of filling that loss with the unproven/undeveloped or “cheap rookies”? 

(and before the lecture of “that’s how it works” from the draft addicts, I get that teams have to cycle players in and out. I’m speaking of key personnel in impact positions) 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

There is absolute zero chance the team cuts Mike Hilton.  He may have started the season off slow, but he was the best CB on the field by the end of it. He and Britt are basically the leaders in the 2ndary. I have no idea how anyone could think this.

I agree they probably aren't cutting Hilton but next season is the last on his current contract and the team hates giving out 3rd contracts to players. So they may draft Sainristil as Hilton's heir the same way they drafted Hill to be ready for the departure of Bates. As Burrow and Chase go from rookie deals to market contracts, the team will have to be thriftier elsewhere. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

I agree they probably aren't cutting Hilton but next season is the last on his current contract and the team hates giving out 3rd contracts to players. So they may draft Sainristil as Hilton's heir the same way they drafted Hill to be ready for the departure of Bates. As Burrow and Chase go from rookie deals to market contracts, the team will have to be thriftier elsewhere. 

On that we agree as far as him not likely getting a 3rd contract, not so much because of his play, but because of how the Bengals like to do business. I think who they draft will be based on BPA, meaning they could go safety or corner, if they go safety it would allow them to move Dax to slot corner

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

On that we agree as far as him not likely getting a 3rd contract, not so much because of his play, but because of how the Bengals like to do business. I think who they draft will be based on BPA, meaning they could go safety or corner, if they go safety it would allow them to move Dax to slot corner

Agree  if Dax can handle the slot.

His speed alone is big-time for a slot.

Does he have the football IQ to handle the position?

Or even safety?

He's most effection position to help the team is still a mystery to me.