Bass: Did Bengals underachieve or overachieve in ‘weird year’?

Mike Bass Special to Cincinnati Enquirer USA TODAY NETWORK
Fri, Jan 12, 2024, 7:57 PM CST·7 min read

We dreamed of the 2023 Bengals finishing with a victory.

Next time, we need to be more specific.

Instead of leaving the Super Bowl with the Lombardi Trophy, the Bengals exited the regular season with a consolation prize: A win over the Cleveland Backups.

It felt OK but anticlimactic, almost like a gimme.

This was the 2021 regular-season finale, in reverse. That time, the Bengals fell to 10-7. It felt more like 10-6 with an asterisk. It was a rest stop before a Super Bowl run. This time, it meant the Bengals would finish 9-8 and every team in the historic division would be above .500. It kind of feels like 8-8 with an asterisk. It depends on how you look at it.

We keep trying to get a handle on this season.

Give it time.

This season challenged us in real time. It excited us, taunted us, lifted us, teased us, rejuvenated us, disappointed us, confused us and tested us.

“It was,” Joe Burrow told the media, “a weird year.”

Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow speaks to the media during a press conference on the first day of the off season for the Bengals at Paycor Stadium on Monday January 8, 2024

Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow speaks to the media during a press conference on the first day of the off season for the Bengals at Paycor Stadium on Monday January 8, 2024

For us, too.

It is always tough when the dream ends. We grieve. We are sad. We are frustrated. We mentally replay what happened and what could have happened. It started when Kansas City excised the Bengals from the playoff race on New Year’s Eve and continued this week.

“Once Burrow got hurt, my brain went into What If mode,” @RyanFilmLover posted after the Chiefs loss. “This one will stay with me for a long time.”

OK, it started when Burrow went down for the season.

“The writing (has) been on the wall since day 2 of training camp. 🤷,” @IrelandsWhodey wrote.

OK, it started when Burrow first hurt his calf and limited him as the Bengals opened 1-3.

“Imma keep it a buck (real),” @CoachKamC wrote. “We did not achieve the goal regardless of injuries. This was a SB or bust year and we busted. It happens but this (is) the truth.”

OK, Burrow’s injuries should not have mattered.

“They actually exceeded my expectations after losing Burrow,” @Smoothbludaddy posted. “I can't complain. Looking forward to next season.”

OK, losing Burrow did matter.

“We made it further than expected without Joe and we have a great backup for the future,” @WhoDeyMal posted. “Let’s hope Joe comes in healthy and ready to play.”

Which means the Bengals were either underachievers or overachievers, and we heard both opinions in our X (ex-Twitter) exchanges the last two weeks. Maybe both are right. Again, it depends on how you look at the Bengals.

And it depends on if you adjusted your expectations.

Bengals season was a rollercoaster

The 2023 season begged for constant reevaluation.

Did yours change at 1-3 with Burrow playing hurt? At 5-3 behind the Burrow and Bengals you expected? At 5-4 when Burrow went out with the lead against Baltimore?

At 5-6 after losing to Pittsburgh? At 8-6 behind the surprising Jake Browning? At 8-8 after losing to the Stealers and Chiefs?

You decided how to process it all. It was not easy. Did you accept the 2023 Bengals as they were, even if they were not the 2021 or 2022 Bengals?

The losses still hurt. The elimination against the Chiefs was tough. The Bengals’ weaknesses were amplified. So were the strengths.

The highs Burrow and Browning provided were real, for different reasons. Both mattered. But Super Bowl contention was inevitably going to revolve around Burrow’s health. We choose how to interpret the rest.

Elimination from the playoff race in Week 17 can be a sign of accomplishment instead of failure.

“(Once) Joe got hurt,” @EspressoJose posted, “I'm shocked it took that long.”

This team was constructed around Burrow. Which is why every preseason focuses on his recovery from ... something. The knee in 2021. The appendix in 2022. The calf in 2023. The wrist in 2024. In a Bengals’ edition of Operation, Burrow would replace Cavity Sam.

The NFL is a quarterback-driven league. Outside of Pittsburgh and Cleveland, every playoff team features a regular quarterback who stayed relatively healthy.

“If someone said before the season Browning would go 3-3 in any stretch after what was seen of him in preseasons, I'd gladly take this,” @BengalsMike posted after the K.C. loss. “And knowing the Defense isn't a Cleveland and Pittsburgh to lean on ... regardless of who starts at QB, I'd take what I can get.”

The Browns were a defensive force, and Joe Flacco became a revelation. The Stealers got a late bump with Mason Rudolph – and a second win over the Bengals.

Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Jake Browning (6) is sacked by Pittsburgh Steelers defensive tackle Cameron Heyward (97) in the fourth quarter of the NFL 16 game between the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Cincinnati Bengals at Acrisure Stadium in Pittsburgh on Saturday, Dec. 23, 2023. The Steelers won 34-11.

Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Jake Browning (6) is sacked by Pittsburgh Stealers defensive tackle Cameron Heyward (97) in the fourth quarter of the NFL 16 game between the Pittsburgh Stealers and the Cincinnati Bengals at Acrisure Stadium in Pittsburgh on Saturday, Dec. 23, 2023. The Stealers won 34-11.More

“Lost season,” @WilySnowPena posted Monday. “Joe, Tee  (Higgins), (Ja’Marr) Chase, DJ (Reader) all injured for significant stretches. Handled by Pittsburgh twice. ... I cannot accept that, regardless who the QB is. ... They fought til the end, though, which speaks about the culture.  Need to get nastier next year.”

It depends on your definition of a “lost season.”

Underachievers and overachievers?

Maybe the 2023 Bengals were underachievers AND overachievers. Maybe you see it as situational.

Overall, it depends on how you look at it.

“Thought the Bengals were playing with house money with Jake,” @gameonjmoney posted after the K.C. loss. “There’s some positives and negatives to take away from this season. The good news: the Bengals have (a lot) in cap space (to) rebuild it and come back with VENGEANCE. Stay tuned .”

“I love it,” @gwilly1158 replied, “game on!! This stings because we have to wait for our next opportunity. I challenge Bengals fans to watch the entire playoff run with great detail. See where teams are strong where we are deficient. Whether it’s schematic or talent level we MUST upgrade those areas.”

Time will bring perspective. Distance will bring context. You might feel better about the season. You might focus on how Browning turned temporary folk hero, gave the season meaning again and almost helped pull off the improbable. The playoffs will go on. So will you.

“I’m not feeling much,” @bjh1776 posted Monday. “I’m probably pulling for Buffalo and Detroit in the playoffs.”

“Go snowboarding, actually attend my nephew's birthday party for the first time in 2 years, and casually pull for the Texans,” @thewhobae posted.

“*Lions,” @dockerz77 replied.

“Root for the Browns,” @StevenCrowtown posted. “I know, *gasp*, and all that. I'm not gonna be as disappointed if they lose though. After that I'm probably done with football for the year.”

“I can root for the Browns— they’ve been down a long time— but not in my heart to root for the Stealers or Ravens,” @brandonmariemil posted. “Just can’t.”

“Watch, enjoy, root for good games…. And against Pitt, Cle and Baltimore,” @ImNostraThomas posted.

Detroit, Cleveland and Houston have never been to a Super Bowl. Buffalo still is trying to get over losing four straight in the early 1990s. The Bengals made it there a couple of years ago and just missed last season.

“Next year the super bowl is in New Orleans where Joe Burrow has never lost,” @DrunkBengalsfan posted.

“Destiny year!” “@PorkChop1972 replied.

This season could be a blip. A last-place schedule should be easier to navigate. Burrow will be back. Better complementary pieces can be found or will develop.

“I'm feeling sad that it's over,” @thewhobae posted, “but staying optimistic about next year. 🧡

Then again ...

“Also not looking forward to the offseason decisions Bengals need to make,” @bjh1776 posted. “Will they sign Chase or wait another year like Minnesota with Jefferson? Are Higgins, Boyd, Reader, Mixon gone? Probably.”

Maybe you need a break.

Good luck with that.

“No offseason for team and fans,” @bengaljims_BTR posted.

Just a longer wait for the next season – and more time to craft your story about this one.

https://sports.yahoo.com/bass-did-bengals-underachieve-overachieve-015704413.html

• Like 1

Underachived. Browning kept them afloat, but we only lost 2 safeties in the offseason and the defense completely fell apart, like it went from looking like a Lou A defense to a Chuck Bresnahan defense, and as good as Jessie and Vonn were it should not have been THAT dramatic of a drop-off. 

The statement of “with or without (Burrow), they should never have looked as bad as they did (at times)”, speaks volumes. 

To some extent, yes/no. The NFL is not only presently geared as a QB-driven league, but also where no one or two teams are totally dominant any longer. They have—by hook or by crook—achieved what they have wanted for decades: complete parity. Not that there aren’t “good teams” and “bad teams”…it’s that the canyon differences are dramatically narrowed. 

The Bengals are not a “great team” any more than the Rats are…overall. Any given season, the propensity for a CFT or HOU can come out of the back to equal the “great teams” is there on a yearly basis. This didn’t exist 25 years ago. 

The best the Bengals can do is retool…hope their oft-injured QB can piece 2021 together consistently…get leads and hold leads…and meander as best possible in a similarly tough division and conference. 

Easy, right? 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

The statement of “with or without (Burrow), they should never have looked as bad as they did (at times)”, speaks volumes. 

To some extent, yes/no. The NFL is not only presently geared as a QB-driven league, but also where no one or two teams are totally dominant any longer. They have—by hook or by crook—achieved what they have wanted for decades: complete parity. Not that there aren’t “good teams” and “bad teams”…it’s that the canyon differences are dramatically narrowed. 

The Bengals are not a “great team” any more than the Rats are…overall. Any given season, the propensity for a CFT or HOU can come out of the back to equal the “great teams” is there on a yearly basis. This didn’t exist 25 years ago. 

The best the Bengals can do is retool…hope their oft-injured QB can piece 2021 together consistently…get leads and hold leads…and meander as best possible in a similarly tough division and conference. 

Easy, right? 

Yep, and the trade off used to be, you'd stick with your team through the miserable times and it felt all the better when it was your team's time to dominate. Teams like the Stealers (barf), Niners, Patriots were maniacal and took full advantage when they were great. Our franchise was never like that back in the day. Couple of serious runs at it in the 80's. Even the Bills, who are 0-4 in the big dance, did it four years in a row. They were definitely dominate, just couldn't close. Probably had no real shot against the Cowboys, but should've beat the Giants, and are probably the only franchise with a bigger "close but no cigar" legacy than us in the Super Bowl. Now this era has passed us by, and "did the Bengals overachieve" while finishing last in their division, is presented as a serious question for debate. Injuries happen every year. It's professional football. Every great play, player, and win along the way is fantastic. Analysis has always been fun, and still is. But for my old school money, the correct mindset has always been, unless you win the Lombardi, the season has ended in failure. An underachievement. Like you said, times have changed, and I'm not holding my breath for this mindset to take hold from Mike Brown down through the janitor. Unfortunately, luck will probably be a greater factor, and everyone seems to sort of unconsciously accept this.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

They once again let their newly minted franchise QB get beaten to IR behind an OL that, once again, everyone not blowing amoke up each other's asses knew from day one wasn't good enough.

In that sense ownership, the FO & coaches underperformed miserably. They also let both of their veteran safeties walk in favor of cheaper inexperienced players and the defense went completely to shit. Once again, not the guys on the field that were at fault.

Sure many of them could've played better but it's the people in charge doubling down on their bad decisions out of stubborness and, once again, a complete lack of accountability throughout the organization that's at fault.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

They once again let their newly minted franchise QB get beaten to IR behind an OL that, once again, everyone not blowing amoke up each other's asses knew from day one wasn't good enough.

In that sense ownership, the FO & coaches underperformed miserably. They also let both of their veteran safeties walk in favor of cheaper inexperienced players and the defense went completely to shit. Once again, not the guys on the field that were at fault.

Sure many of them could've played better but it's the people in charge doubling down on their bad decisions out of stubborness and, once again, a complete lack of accountability throughout the organization that's at fault.

While I agree on your assessments 

I too bought in that with the addition of Zeus, the elevated play of Volson, the vets on the right side plus a solid center would be alright

I was wrong and so were they.

Have to fix the line.

Draft a OT ..

Let Pollack walk..

It's a start.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

While I agree on your assessments 

I too bought in that with the addition of Zeus, the elevated play of Volson, the vets on the right side plus a solid center would be alright

I was wrong and so were they.

Have to fix the line.

Draft a OT ..

Let Pollack walk..

It's a start.

I expected OB Jr to be a difference-maker as well. 

However..  Moving the guy he replaced to an entirely new position after he asked to be traded and expecting him to suddenly play well was insane.  The only reason they forced Jonah into starting at RT was because they owed him $13 million. It's the exact kind of decision that's held this team back for decades.

They can be Twitter champions or unveil a new hot dog at the concession stand but for a team in a clear Superbowl window to have more cap space than all but 4-5 teams shows they're still not serious about winning one.  The Bengals are a trust fund that came with a football team.

13 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

I expected OB Jr to be a difference-maker as well. 

However..  Moving the guy he replaced to an entirely new position after he asked to be traded and expecting him to suddenly play well was insane.  The only reason they forced Jonah into starting at RT was because they owed him $13 million. It's the exact kind of decision that's held this team back for decades.

They can be Twitter champions or unveil a new hot dog at the concession stand but for a team in a clear Superbowl window to have more cap space than all but 4-5 teams shows they're still not serious about winning one.  The Bengals are a trust fund that came with a football team.

The 60 mil plus cap is before signing their own FAs and possibly others as you know.

How little is left ..no clue

Just now, claptonrocks said:

The 60 mil plus cap is before signing their own FAs and possibly others as you know.

How little is left ..no clue

I saw a list that had us #5 in available cap space.  Considering they just signed a QB to a contract with over $200 million guaranteed I would say having that kind of unspent cap remaining indicates a problem.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

I saw a list that had us #5 in available cap space.  Considering they just signed a QB to a contract with over $200 million guaranteed I would say having that kind of unspent cap remaining indicates a problem.

We'll soon see how Katy pencil whips the cap and draft.

Late night candlelight maneuvering

to push the team to a higher level.

I trust in her...

• Upvote 1

The Browns played 4 QBs (5 if you count Driskil) and still managed the 5th seed.

That's the night and day difference between their defense and ours.

Edit: AND they lost their best player on O when Chubb went down

8 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

The Browns played 4 QBs (5 if you count Driskil) and still managed the 5th seed.

That's the night and day difference between their defense and ours.

Edit: AND they lost their best player on O when Chubb went down

All well and good. How does that translate to the Bengals? 

1 hour ago, Le Tigre said:

All well and good. How does that translate to the Bengals? 

It means that we underperformed, if the Browns can do that there is no reason this front office can't make moves to get better. They did it without their massage therapist for a good portion of the season. 

50 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

It means that we underperformed, if the Browns can do that there is no reason this front office can't make moves to get better. They did it without their massage therapist for a good portion of the season. 

They have a defense and can run the ball. They're not counting on Rub & Tug to be Superman.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, cnbengal said:

We underachieved. This team had no business losing twice to a Stealers team that is as bad as any 90's era bengals team. 

Swept in the division (outside a game against back-ups) is fuuuuugly. Definitely did not expect that even with a backup QB.