Three Thoughts on Bengals' Free Agency, Including New Additions, What's Next

Cincinnati added multiple new faces in free agency. What's next?

CINCINNATI — The Bengals added Zack Moss, Mike Gesicki, Sheldon Rankins, Geno Stone and Vonn Bell to their roster during the first week of free agency. 

Have they improved? What's next? 

Here are three thoughts on what they've done and what could be coming:

Offensive Firepower

The Bengals are hoping Mike Gesicki and Zack Moss give their offense some extra firepower. 

Gesicki's news conference was eerily similar to what we saw from Hayden Hurst a few years ago: A veteran tight end that is ecstatic to work with Joe Burrow in hopes of showing the NFL world that he can be a game changer on offense.

Gesicki is the most talented pass catching tight end the Bengals have had in the Burrow era. He's essentially a 6-6, 249-pound wide receiver that can be a matchup nightmare for nickel cornerbacks, linebackers and safeties. 

"My favorite thing in the world is making a contested catch," Gesicki said. 

Burrow happens to be one of the best [if not the best] tight window throwers on the planet. If Gesicki earns his trust in 1-on-1 situations, he could have a huge season in Cincinnati and should give them an extra weapon in the middle of the field and red zone.

Meanwhile, Moss gives off Giovani Bernard vibes. At 5-9, 205 pounds, the veteran running back has developed into a quality pass protector. He has solid hands out of the backfield and is great at breaking tackles or pushing the pile for an extra yard or two. 

"I would say I'm definitely a downhill, one-cut runner," Moss said. "However I can help this team, if it's catching the ball, running the ball, trying to keep Joe clean as much as I can with the big guys up front as well—whatever my role is that week, that's what I'm gonna try to do."

Moss had 11 runs of 20 or more yards last season. He should fit well alongside Chase Brown, Trayveon Williams and anyone else the Bengals add to the running back room. 

Gesicki and Moss have the talent and skillset to be major contributors this season. 

Better on Defense

There's no sugar coating it: The Bengals' defensive line took a step back when DJ Reader signed a two-year contract with Detroit. The veteran was a huge part of Lou Anarumo's defense for the past four seasons. 

They also improved two key areas: secondary and pass rush.

Sheldon Rankins gives them a high-end interior pass rusher that should help get the most out of BJ Hill. It should also help alleviate pressure on a secondary that gave up plenty of explosive plays this offseason. 

The Bengals added Geno Stone and Vonn Bell to a young, but talented safety room that already had Dax Hill, Jordan Battle and Tycen Anderson. 

Anarumo will have to figure out how to put the pieces together on the back end and the defensive line is going to look different without Reader, but the Bengals' pass rush and secondary is better than it was a week ago.  

What's Next?

Adding Teair Tart would be huge for the Bengals. He's clearly the best nose tackle left on the market. 

It's reasonable to expect the Bengals to add another defensive tackle and veteran offensive tackle in the near future. 

Tart was in town last week. Former first round pick Mekhi Becton also visited. Both guys would have a chance to be significant contributors on a contending team if they opted to sign with the Bengals. 

There are some other veteran offensive tackles the Bengals could target, including Trent Brown, but it sounds like they're focused on landing Tart and Becton. 

Don't be shocked if they add a veteran cornerback with Chidobe Awuzie signing a three-year contract with the Titans. 

It also wouldn't be shocking to see them kick the tires on a running back like Clyde Edwards-Helaire or a veteran interior offensive lineman. Max Scharping is still unsigned and even though they brought back Cody Ford, they would certainly be open to giving their center depth a boost behind Ted Karras.

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/three-thoughts-on-bengals-free-agency-including-new-additions-whats-next#gid=ci02d8ae39f00026fc&pid=better-on-defense

I like the Rankins signing, he will improve the interior pass rush but they need to get a run stuffer to combat the teams in this division that ran all over the defense last year. Having Bell back and adding Stone should improve the run defense but they need a space eater that can dominate the line of scrimmage. Not thrilled about expecting a rookie to come in and be that guy as there is a huge difference between the NFL and CFB when it comes to technique and strength on the lines of scrimmage. 

Tart would be the next target as he's best player at position  of need. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Arkansas Bengal said:

Meanwhile, Moss gives off Giovani Bernard vibes. At 5-9, 205 pounds, the veteran running back has developed into a quality pass protector. He has solid hands out of the backfield and is great at breaking tackles or pushing the pile for an extra yard or two. 

I like the sound of that. 

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, stryker57 said:

but isnt that against Baltimore? 

or did i miss the sarcasm completley.....

Haha yeah, I think the prevailing thought (at least on X) was that Moss wouldn't be tough enough against "AFC North" football, but he had one of his better games against the Ravens