Hidden Gems in the 2017 Draft

There are alot of wannabe GM's, scouts, and coaches that post on this board..I know I'm one of them. Let's use this thread to post about guys who we think will be a good player but for some reason they aren't getting a lot of pre-draft hype. Maybe they go to non power 5 conference school, over-shadowed by a teammate that gets all the press clippings, suffered a late season injury, etc...whatever the case. 

This way when they get drafted earlier than the "experts" predict or make the Pro Bowl as a rookie you can say "I told you so"...

Taylor Moton OT - Western Michigan

6_4956506.jpg

I will be the first to say that Taylor Moton is not really a hidden gem, but he's not a house hold name either so he on the thread. At 6'5" 330 lbs. Moton is a mountain of man that is powerful enough to bench 400 and squat 570, but is also nimble enough to workout with WR's on some drills. He's also smart, he's got his undergrad degree and he's working on his MBA. While he played RT for the Stangs he probably would be best as an OG in the NFL where he can use his size and strength to maul defenders in the run game and his quick feet to keep the pocket clean for a franchise QB.

Most scouts have him as a 2nd -3rd round pick at best but he could easily sneak into the first round by the time this hype fest that is the NFL Draft is over.

Here is a link to some of his game film if you want see Taylor "The Mountain" Moton in action.

If he's available in the second round I would hope the Bengals seriously consider drafting him, especially if Zeitler walks in FA. Moton can play OT or OG, but will probably end up at OG in the NFL.

Taywan Taylor WR- Western Kentucky

Sep 17, 2016; Oxford, OH, USA; Miami (Oh) Redhawks defensive back Tony Reid (14) is stiff armed by Western Kentucky Hilltoppers wide receiver Taywan Taylor (2) in the first half at Fred Yager Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Aaron Doster-USA TODAY Sports

Another guy named Taylor from a Western "_______" school that isn't an unknown quantity but isn't a household name, yet. Taywan is a beast, nothing more say. First team all conference player that finished up his amazing career with the Hilltoppers with 253/4,234/41.

Here is a scouting report on Taylor:

"Taywan Taylor is an explosive playmaker who is highly underrated as a prospect. He features the quick-twitch ability needed to outpace defenders and create separation. This quickness makes him a true home-run threat.

Taylor’s ability to take the top off the defense also helps open things up underneath. He has a well-rounded route tree thanks to his suddenness. Taylor plays with a lot of balance which helps him change direction and run crisp routes.

He has experience working out of both the slot and on the outside. Taylor is listed at 6’1”, but that seems to be a generous measurement. However, his official measurement won’t sway his overall draft stock because he plays big.

Taylor has excellent reach which allows him to make plays on poorly thrown balls. His strong hands help him to consistently pluck the ball away from his frame and make those tough catches in traffic. Taylor plays without fear.

He’s the type of receiver who quarterbacks will quickly love. Taylor knows how to locate the opening in the defense and always works back to the quarterback. This is someone who is elusive enough to take a short pass and turn it into a big gain."

12 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

Taywan Taylor WR- Western Kentucky

Sep 17, 2016; Oxford, OH, USA; Miami (Oh) Redhawks defensive back Tony Reid (14) is stiff armed by Western Kentucky Hilltoppers wide receiver Taywan Taylor (2) in the first half at Fred Yager Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Aaron Doster-USA TODAY Sports

Another guy named Taylor from a Western "_______" school that isn't an unknown quantity but isn't a household name, yet. Taywan is a beast, nothing more say. First team all conference player that finished up his amazing career with the Hilltoppers with 253/4,234/41.

Here is a scouting report on Taylor:

"Taywan Taylor is an explosive playmaker who is highly underrated as a prospect. He features the quick-twitch ability needed to outpace defenders and create separation. This quickness makes him a true home-run threat.

Taylor’s ability to take the top off the defense also helps open things up underneath. He has a well-rounded route tree thanks to his suddenness. Taylor plays with a lot of balance which helps him change direction and run crisp routes.

He has experience working out of both the slot and on the outside. Taylor is listed at 6’1”, but that seems to be a generous measurement. However, his official measurement won’t sway his overall draft stock because he plays big.

Taylor has excellent reach which allows him to make plays on poorly thrown balls. His strong hands help him to consistently pluck the ball away from his frame and make those tough catches in traffic. Taylor plays without fear.

He’s the type of receiver who quarterbacks will quickly love. Taylor knows how to locate the opening in the defense and always works back to the quarterback. This is someone who is elusive enough to take a short pass and turn it into a big gain."

Intriguing.

Ezra Robinson CB Tennessee State University

Image result for ezra robinson TSU

Robinson was a highly recruited CB out of Florida that went to Michigan State and was arrested for underage drinking and operating a vehicle in 2013. He transferred to Tennessee State University became one of the best players on the team. He lead the team in INT's and PB's and was 6th in tackles while all conference honors. He was invited to the Senior Bowl where he will be able show his skill set to NFL coaches against the best talent in the country.

He is currently slated to be a late round pick, but I can see him going in the 2nd or 3rd round depending on his combine numbers. 

Jamaal Williams RB BYU

Related image

Jamaal is 6'0 220lb back that tore up the competition throughout his career with a total yardage stat line of 786/4,468/36. Williams is a fighter that has overcome a few hardships to finish out his career on high note. After suffering a season ending injury in 2014 Williams missed the entire 2015 season but responded in 2016 with a monster year that saw him become the all time leading rusher in school history.

He has the speed to break big gains and size to run between the tackles, with the RB position being undervalued and some good players available in the draft this year I can see Williams being taken in the 4th round but he's a talented player that could start from day 1 in the NFL. 

Did anyone watch James Conner this year? I know he went through the whole cancer scare, but did he not come back the same monster that tore the ACC up his sophomore year? Looks like he still had a decent season but he looks like a late rounder in projections. Looks like he has size and can catch the ball. Plays in adverse weather conditions. 

Looks like he might have some significant speed issues. 

TARELL BASHAM, DE Ohio  6'4" 262  118 overall prospect according to CBS Sports

STRENGTHS: Basham looks the part of an NFL edge rusher with broad shoulders and a v-shaped frame. He shows terrific initial quickness off the ball, surging out of his stance and dipping with his shoulder to get underneath the reach of tackles and immediately threaten the corner. He complements his burst with a quick counter back inside, showing the flexibility to get skinny and slip through gaps. His quick-twitch and body control are evident when rushing out of the two or three point stance, and he shows good patience and spatial awareness to loop around on stunts and avoid cut blocks. Even when initially contained, Basham doesn't stay blocked for long, extending his arms and sprawling his legs to stack and shed at the point of attack should the ball come near him. He has quick, active hands to knock away attempts by tackles to control him and he keeps his eye on the prize, immediately breaking free to pursue downfield once the ball leaves the quarterback's hands. Though at his best rushing, Basham possesses the agility and speed to occasionally drop back into coverage, as well. The coaching staff at Ohio raves about Basham's infectious personality and work ethic on and off the field. He is the first player from his family to attend college. 

WEAKNESSES: Basham was a man amongst boys in the MAC but will need to gain more strength to duplicate his success in the NFL. He is overly reliant at this time on his speed and agility and must incorporate a better bull rush to his game. He spent time early in his career at defensive tackle but lacks the bulk and strength to remain here in the NFL. 

IN OUR VIEW: What Basham lacks in name recognition he more than makes up for with initial quickness, agility and motor. He may need a year or two to acclimate to the greater speed of the NFL but possesses the traits and work ethic necessary to handle the jump in competition.

Tanoh Kpassagnon DE Villanova

Image result for tanoh kpassagnon

Tanoh is a physical freak of nature at 6'6" 285 lbs and even though he is relatively new to the game of football he has played at a high level during his last 2 years of college. He was 2x 1st team all Conference and DPOY, while amassing an impressive career stat line of 105 tackles/22 sacks/37.5 TFL/4FF/3FR. Tanoh reminds me a lot of Ziggy Ansah for the Lions, a small school guy that played basketball, football, and track in high school before focusing on football and becoming an elite player at his position. Tanoh is also very smart, he's an Accounting and Finance major that has interned with PwC(PriceWaterhouseCoopers) during the last two summers. 

Tonah is invited to attend the Senior Bowl, so draft stock will rise after a week of NFL coaching and playing vs. some of the best players in the country. He's currently a mid round pick, but he could sneak into the back end of the first round or early second depending on how well his Senior Bowl week goes for him. 

3 hours ago, Jason said:

I have seen Tanoh mocked to us once or twice in the Footballs Future mock draft forum. Haven't watched him but the scouting report I read reminds me of the big kid from Baylor a year or 2 ago, and a little of Hunt. 

Shawn Oakman, hopefully he's 100% less rapey than that guy. I would say he's more polished than Hunt, being that he played football in high school and 4 years in college. He's a freak athlete that hasn't played against the top level of competition, but his coaches rave about his work ethic and smarts. 

The week of Senior Bowl practice will be big for him, if he can respond well to NFL coaching they are going to fall in love with his potential and he's going to be a 2nd round pick at worst. He has the production to show that he can play the game at a high level, he just needs to show he can handle the increased level of competition. 

22 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

Shawn Oakman, hopefully he's 100% less rapey than that guy. I would say he's more polished than Hunt, being that he played football in high school and 4 years in college. He's a freak athlete that hasn't played against the top level of competition, but his coaches rave about his work ethic and smarts. 

The week of Senior Bowl practice will be big for him, if he can respond well to NFL coaching they are going to fall in love with his potential and he's going to be a 2nd round pick at worst. He has the production to show that he can play the game at a high level, he just needs to show he can handle the increased level of competition. 

Yeah, Oakman, that's the name I couldn't think of.

Granted I'm in the stands every week, but I wouldn't call him hidden personally; he's the best all-around back of the Stoops era as far as I'm concerned.

Hidden as far as nobody wants him us included I'm a part of 2 Bengals forums and there's maybe 5 people combined that want him. It's crazy it would be the steal of the draft to get him any time after the second. He has hands like obj and runs like Henry. We wouldn't telegraph our plays either like we do with hill on the field. Mccshay said at least 6 teams done even have them on their board. He got a first round grade and we can get him late!

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Go-Bengals.com mobile app

Forrest Lamp WKU. He has spent his career at LT and dominated. Shut down Jonathan Allen and Tim Williams against Alabama. His size (6'4 300) and shorter arms may make a move inside necessary but he's shown he can play tackle at a high level. His stock is on the rise though and he may be gone by our 2nd round pick.

1 hour ago, akiliMVP said:

Forrest Lamp WKU. He has spent his career at LT and dominated. Shut down Jonathan Allen and Tim Williams against Alabama. His size (6'4 300) and shorter arms may make a move inside necessary but he's shown he can play tackle at a high level. His stock is on the rise though and he may be gone by our 2nd round pick.

Block Forrest, block! :lol: 

On 1/23/2017 at 8:46 AM, akiliMVP said:

Lamp would be a good pick, especially if Zeitler leaves. He can play OG or OT, very versatile player. 

Jordan Morgan OG/OT Kutztown

Image result for jordan morgan kutztown nfl

Jordan is the best lineman in DII, winner of the Gene Upshaw Award for the best lineman in DII football. At 6'4" 320 lbs Morgan is a physical specimen that has dominated at the DII level and even won his conference's Offensive player of the year award, the first time an offensive lineman has won that award. He has played in the East/West Shrine game and will be playing in the Senior Bowl on Saturday, I expect him to hear his name called on day 2 of the draft. 

Michael Roberts TE Toledo

Image result for michael roberts toledo

Roberts is a probably the best TE in the draft behind OJ Howard from Bama and his physical dimensions are stuff of legends. He has the biggest hands of any player at the Senior Bowl at an amazing 11 5/8" which he used to catch 22 TD's in his career at Toledo. At 6'5" 270 lbs Roberts is big enough to block DE's and he has the catching abilities to be a red zone threat. He isn't a burner but will be a very good blocking TE that can get you a first down or TE when needed. 

Being that Eifert and Kroft are injury prone and Uzomah is a receiving TE and not the best blocker I would love to see the Bengals draft Roberts in the 4th round, if he's still available. 

Archived