Bengals interested in Lavar Arrington!

Guest IndianaBengal

Not talking about the chatroom here. i'm saying that whomever they sign will be inconsequential because Palmer is the man. I hate to see any missed oppurtunities to pick up good defenders while the Bengals mull over a 2nd string qb. Its obvious to us that our 3rd stringer isn't ready to assume the 2nd string after playing in Chicago even. :1violin:

Guest Claptonrocks
[quote name='IndianaBengal' post='234104' date='Mar 18 2006, 08:40 AM']This draggin ass around to get a washed up 2nd hand qb shit is getting old.[/quote]

It may seem that they're draggin ass but in reality theyre weighing all their options...
Why sign Martin immediately if they can land a better player? It takes time ..the Greise thing just came up and they're were looking into the Ramsey situation.. dont forget that Harrington might be looking for something too....Its not like they're starting workout camps this weekend...

Dolphins | Team only discussed preliminary numbers with Arrington; price is too high
Sat, 18 Mar 2006 07:16:13 -0800

Armando Salguero, of the Miami Herald, reports the Miami Dolphins have spoken with free agent LB LaVar Arrington (Redskins) and preliminary numbers were discussed, according to an NFLPA source. The Dolphins' priority is clearly Arrington, who visited last week. But Arrington's asking price is reported to be in the [b]$6 million-a-year range[/b], which is probably too rich for Miami.

I'm not sure he'll find ANYBODY willing to shell out that kind of cash. That being said, I don't think we'll see him reunited with Marvin until that number goes down, way down. :unsure:

[quote name='IndianaBengal' post='234129' date='Mar 18 2006, 10:23 AM']Not talking about the chatroom here. i'm saying that whomever they sign will be inconsequential because Palmer is the man. I hate to see any missed oppurtunities to pick up good defenders while the Bengals mull over a 2nd string qb. Its obvious to us that our 3rd stringer isn't ready to assume the 2nd string after playing in Chicago even. :1violin:[/quote]

do you REALLY think the bengals admin are sitting there like "uh im not even gonna think about LB's yet, we have to think about qb's only for 2 weeks"

cmon, if they wanted arrington or adams they would be negotiating..

if anything they are waiting until they get an offer elsewhere, neither are hot commodities for the other 31 nfl teams either, i dont understand why everyone is all grab ass about them.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='234132' date='Mar 18 2006, 10:33 AM'][quote name='IndianaBengal' post='234129' date='Mar 18 2006, 10:23 AM']
Not talking about the chatroom here. i'm saying that whomever they sign will be inconsequential because Palmer is the man. I hate to see any missed oppurtunities to pick up good defenders while the Bengals mull over a 2nd string qb. Its obvious to us that our 3rd stringer isn't ready to assume the 2nd string after playing in Chicago even. :1violin:[/quote]

do you REALLY think the bengals admin are sitting there like "uh im not even gonna think about LB's yet, we have to think about qb's only for 2 weeks"

cmon, if they wanted arrington or adams they would be negotiating..

if anything they are waiting until they get an offer elsewhere, neither are hot commodities for the other 31 nfl teams either, i dont understand why everyone is all grab ass about them.
[/quote]

I think we have some fans who see some names they recognize in FA and those players have expressed interest in Cincy and they don't see why we haven't signed them yet. Right now, the Bengals would pay significantly more to land either Adams or Arrington at this point. They have a ton of things they need to look at this offseason (Backup QB, Defensive Help, Extending O Line, Chris Henry) and seem to have prioritized them accordingly. It seems that they won't overextend themselves in FA so as not to hurt their shot at extending the O Line and trying to keep that intact.

Anyone feeling anxious about Adams, Arrington, or any other available FA out there, take a deep breath and remember that free agency has JUST started and it's not a sprint.

If we did sign Arrington, which i can't decide if i would even want, I think Simmons would be on his way out either via trade or cut. I'm not sure the cap savings we would have by cutting him, but the writing would be on the wall considering we have a young core of LBs waiting for PT (Pollack, Johnson, Miller, Thurman).

Obviously LaVar is better than Simmons (if healthy), but I just don't know if it's worth losing SImmons leadership and experiencing a pretty bad cap hit for releasing him.

I think Arrington would help bring more of that swagger to the defense that Thurman and Williams are already instilling. Simmons is very good IMO but for some reason I just think Arrington would be a perfect fit. If we could get Simmons to restructure or sign Arrington to a back loaded contract like the Redskins do - check out profootballtalk.com - so we could keep both. Then Arringtons cap hit would be low, we'd have to give him large bonuses though, and he would help get our D to the next level. Then when we win the SB and his contract is set to skyrocket we cut him.
Thats my little dream scenario.

Guest bengalrick
guys, i know that the name of lavar arrington is a catchy one, that some will gravitate too... but personally, that is not why i want him...

-this would only be his 7th season, and is 28 years old...

-and there is a reason he has a name we all know... at one time, he was a notch under ray lewis... that was while marvin was coaching ray...

-his problem seems to be attitude, not injury... and like many have pointed out, lavar has also played best under marvin (btw, noticing something here... LB's seem to play their best under marvin... marvin was a LB... [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/39.gif[/img] )

-athletically, he is extremely gifted, a proven vet, and a known leader....

-this whole thing reminds me of the deltha o'neal situation, except that marvin already knows what he has w/ lavar (good or bad... that might lead marvin to pass)

the downsides are that he commands mass money, has been known to hold out under contract disputes, hasn't played up to standards since the injury... could cause us to lose an anderson/williams or hurt us on resigning our line this year...

weighing all options, i am for signing him... marvin is known to make good LB's great... anderson can be replaced (i think) by next year... and if not, we'll figure something up then... no time to be conservative... we can win the superbowl this year, if we just get a defense together... get it done!!!!!!

Dolphins | Team only discussed preliminary numbers with Arrington; price is too high
Sat, 18 Mar 2006 07:16:13 -0800

Armando Salguero, of the Miami Herald, reports the Miami Dolphins have spoken with free agent LB LaVar Arrington (Redskins) and preliminary numbers were discussed, according to an NFLPA source. The Dolphins' priority is clearly Arrington, who visited last week. But Arrington's asking price is reported to be in the $6 million-a-year range, which is probably too rich for Miami.

peace out lavar.

All of these guys want way to much money, Lavar, Ty Law, Peterson , Adams and Grady Jackson .Teams are waiting for the price to come down.If not it looks like they will be without a team for a while.All but Lavar are in their thrities.Who wants to over pay a thrity year old.Oh I know Cleveland.

Guest BlackJesus
[b]Arrington is worth 6 mil a year .... (especially if there are clauses to protest against injury)

Although I think the Bengals could get him for 5 (and it would be worth it) [/b]

[quote name='BlackJesus' post='234278' date='Mar 18 2006, 04:44 PM'][b]Arrington is worth 6 mil a year .... (especially if there are clauses to protest against injury)

Although I think the Bengals could get him for 5 (and it would be worth it) [/b][/quote]

no he isnt.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='234279' date='Mar 18 2006, 03:46 PM'][quote name='BlackJesus' post='234278' date='Mar 18 2006, 04:44 PM']
[b]Arrington is worth 6 mil a year .... (especially if there are clauses to protest against injury)

Although I think the Bengals could get him for 5 (and it would be worth it) [/b][/quote]

no he isnt.
[/quote]He is not worth six...Agreed......

[quote name='BlackJesus' post='234278' date='Mar 18 2006, 04:44 PM'][b]Arrington is worth 6 mil a year .... (especially if there are clauses to protest against injury)

Arrington is worth $4 million tops. Let some other team overpay for him. We don't have anywhere to put him.

Guest BlackJesus

[quote name='DanvilleBengal' post='234285' date='Mar 18 2006, 04:53 PM'][quote name='BlackJesus' post='234278' date='Mar 18 2006, 04:44 PM']

Arrington is worth $4 million tops. Let some other team overpay for him. We don't have anywhere to put him.
[/quote]

[b]So you are saying he is worth the same as TJ who makes 4 per year ?

:rolleyes: [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//24.gif[/img]

some of you need to get a better understanding of the NFL market ....

You pay contracts off of assumed production and talent .... I believe in Marvins defense Lavar could be a Def MVP type player .... and he is the most physically gifted LB since Lawrence Taylor bar none .... He would be well worth a 5 year - 25 mil contract (same as Rudi) .... which I think he would take [/b]

[quote name='BlackJesus' post='234289' date='Mar 18 2006, 05:01 PM'][quote name='DanvilleBengal' post='234285' date='Mar 18 2006, 04:53 PM']
[quote name='BlackJesus' post='234278' date='Mar 18 2006, 04:44 PM']

[/quote]

[b]So you are saying he is worth the same as TJ who makes 4 per year ?

:rolleyes: [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//24.gif[/img]

some of you need to get a better understanding of the NFL market ....

You pay contracts off of assumed production and talent .... I believe in Marvins defense Lavar could be a Def MVP type player .... and he is the most physically gifted LB since Lawrence Taylor bar none .... He would be well worth a 5 year - 25 mil contract (same as Rudi) .... which I think he would take [/b]
[/quote]

he hasnt done shit in 2 years, just like tj, so yea actually that contract seems fair.

you dont pay a player off of what he did 4 years ago. as of late he has been injured and worthless. how much does that run?

Just wondering, when you guys say Arrington isn't worth 6 mil are you refering to a cap hit of 6 mil or just the principle of not paying him that much?
I think he has proven he is worth the money but a 6 mil cap hit doesn't fit what the Bengals have done in the past with free agency. If the Bengals could work out a deal that gave Arrington the coin he desires and still wouldn't prevent us from re-signing our line would you guys want him then?

[quote name='eva4ben-gal' post='234310' date='Mar 18 2006, 05:25 PM']Just wondering, when you guys say Arrington isn't worth 6 mil are you refering to a cap hit of 6 mil or just the principle of not paying him that much?
I think he has proven he is worth the money but a 6 mil cap hit doesn't fit what the Bengals have done in the past with free agency. If the Bengals could work out a deal that gave Arrington the coin he desires and still wouldn't prevent us from re-signing our line would you guys want him then?[/quote]

how can you justify a player who has been ijnured and ineffective each of the last two seasons being worth 6 mil?

And Go-
don't kid yourself, you know deep down that Arrington is just as or more physically gifted than any linebacker in the NFL, let alone our team.
Granted he has had an injury but that is not holding him back, he simply needs the right coaches and the right scheme. If Marvin believes he is a fit for our D, which it seems like he does, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Bengals make an offer once the market comes down a little.

[quote name='eva4ben-gal' post='234316' date='Mar 18 2006, 05:32 PM']And Go-
don't kid yourself, you know deep down that Arrington is just as or more physically gifted than any linebacker in the NFL, let alone our team.
Granted he has had an injury but that is not holding him back, he simply needs the right coaches and the right scheme. If Marvin believes he is a fit for our D, which it seems like he does, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Bengals make an offer once the market comes down a little.[/quote]

what makes you think marvin thinks he is right for our D?

I just think that he has shown he has the tools to be one of the best and just needs the right situation to maximize them.
Players get injured, should we dock Palmer's pay because he might not start the season off for us.
Arrington got over his injury and will be playing at 100% next year so that is why I think he would be worth 6 mil.
and you didn't answer my question

If he didn't the Bengals wouldn't be monitoring his visits with other teams

[quote name='eva4ben-gal' post='234319' date='Mar 18 2006, 05:36 PM']I just think that he has shown he has the tools to be one of the best and just needs the right situation to maximize them.
Players get injured, should we dock Palmer's pay because he might not start the season off for us.
Arrington got over his injury and will be playing at 100% next year so that is why I think he would be worth 6 mil.
and you didn't answer my question

If he didn't the Bengals wouldn't be monitoring his visits with other teams[/quote]

just so you know, hobson isnt the bengals, he is a fool, and if youve been around much the last 2-3 years, you'll also know he is rarely accurate.

so how exactly are the bengals monitoring his other visits?

what questions didnt i answer?

and yes if palmer had missed 15 of the last 32 games, there is no way he would get a 120+ million dollar contract. he has missed 3 games in 2 years.

apples to oranges.

in fact, the only quote ive actual heard from someone credible, was marvin, who said he is the most undisciplined player he ever coached.

I read on kffl that the Bengals were monitoring him and I know Hobson is not the Bengals he is like another cheerleader.
The info was probably leaked by Arrington's agent who would probably know which teams are looking at his client.

you didn't answer my question of is it about the money or the cap? I am still kind of unclear on where you stand on that.

I know Palmer hasn't missed as much time but what if he wasn't able to come back this year, god forbid, do we make him re-work his deal once he is healthy and ready to go? I know it's all hypothetical but it would be a similar cituation.

Archived