**-------> OFFICIAL BENGALS DRAFT DAY THREAD !!!!! <------**

Guest BlackJesus

Guest oldschooler

Bengals.com is supposed to have LIVE audio.

But it`s all distorted for me... :mellow:

[url="http://www.bengals.com/team/draft_central06.asp"]http://www.bengals.com/team/draft_central06.asp[/url]

[quote name='BadassBengal' post='258460' date='Apr 29 2006, 04:13 PM']Think his teammate, Ko Simpson, could drop down to our #2 pick?

Also, TWM was right about Jonathan Joseph goin in the 1st[/quote]

I would like to see us take KO in the second round.... I think Joseph was the best pick for us in round 1 least of what was left.... lawson got close to us those damn 49'rs

Guest BlackJesus
[size=3][u][quote]Gamecock corner not a big name
By D. ORLANDO LEDBETTER
Cox News Service
April 21, 2006 [/u] [/size]

ATLANTA — Johnathan Joseph entered the NFL draft in relative obscurity. There was no major outcry in the Palmetto State.

South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier didn't even toss his visor, while much of the fuss was over safety Ko Simpson also deciding to leave early.

No one, except for dyed-in-the-wool Gamecocks faithful, really cared.

But after Joseph, who played one full season for the Gamecocks out of Coffeyville (Kan.) Community College, starred at the NFL scouting combine, he became a projected first-round draft pick.

[b]Joseph turned some heads when he ran 4.31 in the 40-yard dash[/b] and followed it up with a 4.38. In an NFL scout's report, a sub-4.4 time gets you a couple of gold stars next to your name.

"They were surprised because I didn't play my sophomore year and I got hurt," Joseph said by telephone from Charlotte Douglas International Airport on the way to a visit with the Dallas Cowboys. "When I came back my junior season, my name was not out there."

This year's draft is considered deep at defensive back.

"I expect 10 defensive backs to possibly go in the first [round]," ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper said. "They are all first-round caliber. Will 10 go? I think they could. Will eight go? Definitely."

Texas safety Michael Huff, last season's Jim Thorpe Award winner, will likely be the first defensive back taken. Clemson cornerback Tye Hill, Ohio State safety Donte Whitner, Ohio State cornerback Ashton Youboty and Virginia Tech cornerback Jimmy Williams are also highly rated. Tennessee safety/cornerback Jason Allen and Florida State cornerback Antonio Cromartie have recovered from serious injuries and are considered first-round caliber.

A couple of other intriguing defensive backs are Abilene Christian safety Danieal Manning and Fresno State cornerback Richard Marshall.

Joseph could become the first player from the SEC selected. He started two games in 2004 before breaking a foot. He survived the Spurrier purge of the program and started 10 games last season, leading the team with four interceptions.

Joseph is considered a true cover cornerback who doesn't back down from contact. He thought he stacked up against some of the nation's top cornerbacks, and that factored into his decision to leave school early.

[b]"He plays like a natural corner," said Reggie McKenzie, Green Bay's director of pro personnel. "He's not a 'tweener. He's no safety-corner. He's a corner."[/b]

Dallas picks 18th in the draft. Joseph has also visited Detroit (ninth), Cleveland (12th) and Tampa Bay (23rd).

"I don't have a particular team [I prefer]," Joseph said. "Whoever drafts me, I'll be ready to go forward with my new team."

Joseph honed his coverage skills in practice going against All-SEC wide receiver Sidney Rice.

"I think I made him a lot better as well," Joseph said.

Joseph, of Rock Hill (S.C.) Northwestern High, wasn't heavily recruited coming out of high school. He took his standardized test late and didn't have any Division I-A offers.

"My coach told me that the best thing to do was to go to junior college," Joseph said. "It's just been a great experience for me. I've worked hard to get where I'm at. I'm just blessed."

After shining at Coffeyville, he picked South Carolina over Florida.

[b]"If you are looking for a corner, he's a pure corner and he can run," McKenzie said. "He played against some big-time competition."[/b]

Joseph has moved past several more heralded defensive backs like Williams, Youboty and Simpson.

"He wasn't hyped up," McKenzie said. "It's not the fact that he's jumping up the charts, it's just that the so-called experts just now figured out who he really is."[/quote]

[url="http://www.dailysentinel.com/pro/content/shared/sports/stories/FBN_DRAFT_DB_0421_COX.html"]http://www.dailysentinel.com/pro/content/s...B_0421_COX.html[/url]

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' post='258441' date='Apr 29 2006, 04:10 PM']Do you guys think Mercedes, Watson, and pope could still be around in the second round?[/quote]

Its possible that one of the TEs will be there, but we need a team expected to take a TE to pass on one of them. These teams are the Bears in the first (likely to pass) Arizona, St. Louis, and Denver in the second, all of which may or may not go with a TE.

Guest WhoDeyForever

Well ive waited for 4 hours now its all over [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//20.gif[/img] ..have to wait for a couple more hours now :thumbsdown:

Guest BlackJesus
[size=4][quote][img]http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/scar/sports/m-footbl/auto_headshot/196395.jpeg[/img]

CB

5'11

192 lbs

40: 4.31 [/size]

2005 Preseason >> One of the fastest players on the South Carolina roster ... Is fully healed from the season-ending injury he sustained early in 2004 season, evidenced by the fact that he earned the team's Outstanding Defensive Back Award during spring practice ... Made two tackles and broke up a pass in the Garnet and Black Spring Game.

2004 >> Starting cornerback in the season's first two games, but had his season cut short after breaking his foot in the first quarter of the Georgia game ... Was ticketed to have a big season, but following surgery, he spent the remainder of the year rehabilitating from his injury ... In the two games he appeared in, he made three total tackles - two in the season opener vs. Vanderbilt and one vs. Georgia in the second game of the year ... Forced a fumble against Vanderbilt and also broke up a pass vs. the Commodores.

JUNIOR COLLEGE >> Ranked as the 31st-best JUCO player in the nation by College Football News ... Earned All-Conference honors as a defensive back at Coffeyville in 2003 ... Recorded three interceptions for 62 yards and one touchdown a year ago, while making 43 tackles and notching a sack to go along with two pass break ups ...Played for Coach Jeff Leiker at Coffeyville ... Chose South Carolina over Florida.

HIGH SCHOOL >> Recorded 127 tackles as a senior at Northwestern High School ... Had seven interceptions and four touchdowns ... Played in the Shrine Bowl ... Earned All-State honors in football and All-Region honors in both football and track.

PERSONAL >> Born April 16, 1984 ...Major is criminal justice.[/quote]

Guest oldschooler
I like the Joseph pick.

Our Defense just got faster and better all in one stroke.
Hopefully he signs and is in training camp on time !

Guest BlackJesus
[img]http://vmedia.rivals.com//IMAGES/Player/photo/JOSEPH-150X220-20050805-CJD.JPG[/img]

[b]Frank Coyle:[/b] [i]Joseph is an athletic and talented cover man with an intriguing upside as a pro. He gives the Bengals a potential starter in time and an early nickel corner for their average secondary. He should help immediately in both nickel and dime packages. [/i]

Archived