Is Ohio ready for a black governor?

DanvilleBengal

Guest Coy Bacon
[quote name='akiliMVP' post='262774' date='May 3 2006, 04:41 PM']I saw an interview with Blackwell yesterday on television..... He seemed kind of retarded.[/quote]

Ken Blackwell has always been an inarticulate mushmouth.

[quote name='Jason' post='262961' date='May 3 2006, 09:28 PM']Um, last I checked, it was the Democrats that owned slaves, and the Republican party that freed them, so to associate the KKK with Republicans is not only asinine, it's just plain wrong.[/quote]youve gotta be fucking shitting me jason, please tell me you realize party stances were completely different in that time period and that for the sake of the arguement both parties have reversed stances...

Guest #22
Blackwell is a stockholder in Diebold (voting machines), Pharmaceutical Companies that produce RU-486, and in Gambling Companies.

Guest Coy Bacon
[quote name='Hooky' post='262690' date='May 3 2006, 02:07 PM']By trying to tax the shit out of them?[/quote]

Reactionary scoundrels are always trotting out the tax canard. It's not that Democrats are worth a damn, but Republicans are absolutely abominable. They bray about lowering taxes to give their petty, peevish supporters a dodge to hide their unfocused vitriol behind. Then they find every way in the book to channel that vitriolic support into backing measures that, under the guise of lowering taxes, shift the tax burden from multinational corporations with interlocking boards that ferry the savings overseas, and really, REALLY rich people onto the backs of the stupid working bastards that put them in power. Then they make sure that they pursue policies that channel the money being paid by the stupid working bastards that put them in power into the coffers of the multinational corporations with interlocking boards that ferry the savings overseas, and the really, REALLY rich people who are already enjoying the shift of the tax burden. And then, to beat it all, they ultimately raise taxes if they stay in power long enough to have to pay on the money they borrow to cover up how badly they're fucking everything up.

Of course, by now the Democratic Party exists for no other reason than to cover the Republican Party's ass and make sure that everybody that doesn't like this state of affairs is either running around in circles or is walled off by those that are.

Then we have the phenomenon of the so-called black Republican. If you've ever actually sat down and talked to any of these people at length with a full understanding of who they are, where they come from and what they're actually talking about, you know that they're almost universally a bunch of unprincipled, lunatics. And I mean lunatics. Like Ken Blackwell, these guys have a hard time putting together a coherent sentence. Of course they sound lucid to people that heuristically feed off of all the GOP buzzwords and catch phrases that they salt their blather with. White Republicans are willing to cynically prop these guys up and make them look like they're something other than the charlatans and grifters that they are because they're either useful idiots like Charles Winburn, or in the case that they're not stupid or incompetent, because they are willing to sell out any and every scrap of human decency.

It's not so much that so-called black Republicans are oreos and Uncle Toms because they're Republicans - although most of them are Republicans because they're oreos and Uncle Toms. Some of them are too stupid or nefarous to even make a good Uncle Tom. The problem is more with the Republican Party than the silly spooks that they sit by the door. The Republican Party is so cynical and contemptuous of blacks, and everybody else for that matter, and so obviously malignant to honest people that the only people it can find to trot out as tokens of "diversity" are vermin of the order that are a disgrace to ANY race.

Guest Coy Bacon

[quote name='STRAYCAT' post='262979' date='May 3 2006, 09:50 PM']Guess Blackwell is a uncle tom to a few since he doesn't blame the MAN. Guess he is because he doesn't kiss Al Sharpten and the Rev Jessie (where is my money) Jackson :lmao:[/quote]

To a few?! You don't have good sense to even say that. A few! Blackwell is an Uncle Tom to way more than a few, not because he doens't blame the man - that's a vicious stereotype that black-haters love to perpetuate. He's an Uncle Tom and worse because he has his head squarely up the ass of the worst elements that could possibly come to represent the Man. And, besides, it doesn't make you cute or sophisticated to be too chickenshit to tell "the Man" that he's fucking up when he's actually fucking up.

Guest Coy Bacon
[quote name='sneaky' post='262495' date='May 3 2006, 01:09 AM']Blackwell makes Uncle Ruckus look like Malcolm X.[/quote]

[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img] He sure as hell does.

Guest Coy Bacon

[quote name='CatScratchFever' post='262652' date='May 3 2006, 12:37 PM']FYI - Lynn Swann is also on the ballot in Pennsylvania for governor. There could potentially be TWO new black governors.... both Republicans... wouldn't that just be a kick right in Jesse Jackson's teeth?[/quote]

Just goes to show you that there's nothing anyone can't do in this country if they're willing to sacrifice all scruples and dignity. :bowdown:

[quote name='Nati Ice' post='262982' date='May 3 2006, 09:54 PM']youve gotta be fucking shitting me jason, please tell me you realize party stances were completely different in that time period and that for the sake of the arguement both parties have reversed stances...[/quote]

I've known a few racists in my time. Most of them were Democrats. One was a libertarian. Of the people that I have known to be Republican, I can't think of any that I knew to be racist. I'm a Republican, and not a racist. None of the Republican policies are racist. George Bush had more blacks in key positions in his cabinet than Bill Clinton.

I get sick of hearing people call the Republican party racist. [b]Well, someone prove it. Name me one Republican party platform policy that is racist.[/b] The only current member of the House, Senate, or White House that is known to have ties to the KKK is Democrat Senator Robert Byrd. He even used "the N word" on national TV, and he gets a pass. It's disgusting. And trust me, if there were ANY Republicans known to have ties to the KKK, it would be all over the place. And the way the Democrats like to dig up stuff for personal attacks, if any Republicans did have those ties, it would be kown.

1) my point was not to argue over which party is MORE RACIST, my point was that your arguement is pointless and rediculous

2) the majority of what you said is personal opinion, and while i havnt directly called either party "racists," i will give you Exhibit A...

[url="http://lott.senate.gov/"]http://lott.senate.gov/[/url]

Guest BlackJesus
[b]so the cock sucker uncle tom that rigged Northern Ohio with Diebold for Bush .... now wants the governors mansion as a reward .... [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/30.gif[/img] [/b]

Guest BlackJesus

[center][img]http://www.sunysb.edu/afs/images/mx.jpg[/img]

[size=3][i]"There was two kinds of slaves. There was the house Negro and the field Negro. The house Negroes - they lived in the house with master, they dressed pretty good, they ate good 'cause they ate his food -- what he left. They lived in the attic or the basement, but still they lived near the master; and they loved their master more than the master loved himself. They would give their life to save the master's house quicker than the master would. The house Negro, if the master said, 'We got a good house here,' the house Negro would say, 'Yeah, we got a good house here.' Whenever the master said 'we,' he said 'we.' That's how you can tell a house Negro. If the master's house caught on fire, the house Negro would fight harder to put the blaze out than the master would. If the master got sick, the house Negro would say, 'What's the matter, boss, we sick?' We sick! He identified himself with his master more than his master identified with himself. And if you came to the house Negro and said, 'Let's run away, let's escape, let's separate,' the house Negro would look at you and say, 'Man, you crazy. What you mean, separate? Where is there a better house than this? Where can I wear better clothes than this? Where can I eat better food than this?' That was that house Negro. In those days he was called a 'house nigger.' And that's what we call him today, because we've still got some house niggers running around here." [/i]

[size=4]--- Malcolm X[/size][/size]

:bowdown: [/center]

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='263008' date='May 3 2006, 10:16 PM']When or what is this boondocks I keep hearing about? I feel left out of the loop when sneaky talks about Uncle Ruckus and such.[/quote]
Hard to explain, but "The BoonDocks" is a TV show that comes on late night on Cartoon Network, it is also a comic strip found in most major US newspapers.

The subject matter in the shows focuses on issues that are presently occuring in the world and the US in the present day, and it focuses on two black kids that have interesting views on the way the world is. One of them is a wanna-be gangbanger, and the other is a self-proclaimed freedom fighter.

It's a very interesting show, you should watch it sometime, I think sneaky should be able to give you more information on that show, though. He is the most knowledgable on it.

Guest Coy Bacon
[quote name='Jason' post='263026' date='May 3 2006, 10:30 PM']I've known a few racists in my time. Most of them were Democrats. One was a libertarian. Of the people that I have known to be Republican, I can't think of any that I knew to be racist. I'm a Republican, and not a racist. None of the Republican policies are racist. George Bush had more blacks in key positions in his cabinet than Bill Clinton.

I get sick of hearing people call the Republican party racist. [b]Well, someone prove it. Name me one Republican party platform policy that is racist.[/b] The only current member of the House, Senate, or White House that is known to have ties to the KKK is Democrat Senator Robert Byrd. He even used "the N word" on national TV, and he gets a pass. It's disgusting. And trust me, if there were ANY Republicans known to have ties to the KKK, it would be all over the place. And the way the Democrats like to dig up stuff for personal attacks, if any Republicans did have those ties, it would be kown.[/quote]

Why is it that Republican Party apologists are so stuck on "four legs good, two legs b-a-a-a-a-d" thinking? The Democrats don't have to be good for the Republicans to be bad. I don't know what "racist" is anymore; it's become a meaningless cliche. I thought it was a bad idea to throw the word around so freely back in the early 70's, which is when it really started becoming a popular tactic. Prior to that, it was used more selectively.

Quite frankly, if I was as convinced that black people are as worthless and irrational as must necessarilly be concluded by the stock arguments of Republicans and their apologists concerning issues of ethnic conflict, I would be quite proud to be called a "racist." Why would people that so fervently believe in their superior morality and judgement be concerned about being called "racist." That much is beyond me.

Guest #22
At least Ohioans don't have to worry about this bitch:

[url="http://www.electharris.org/video/"]http://www.electharris.org/video/[/url]

doesn't even know her grammar

[quote name='Coy Bacon' post='263068' date='May 3 2006, 11:15 PM']Why is it that Republican Party apologists are so stuck on "four legs good, two legs b-a-a-a-a-d" thinking? The Democrats don't have to be good for the Republicans to be bad. I don't know what "racist" is anymore; it's become a meaningless cliche. I thought it was a bad idea to throw the word around so freely back in the early 70's, which is when it really started becoming a popular tactic. Prior to that, it was used more selectively.

Quite frankly, [b]if I was as convinced that black people are as worthless and irrational as must necessarilly be concluded by the stock arguments of Republicans and their apologists concerning issues of ethnic conflict[/b], I would be quite proud to be called a "racist." Why would people that so fervently believe in their superior morality and judgement be concerned about being called "racist." That much is beyond me.[/quote]

That's exactly my point. Most of the Republicans I know don't consider blacks as worthless and irrational. We think they are fully capable of supporting themselves and succeeding without having to rely on the government for their daily well being.

But that's besides the point. I'm concerned about the Republican party being called racist because I am a Republican, I am not racist, and I find the generalization offensive. People keep making that claim, but can't support it with anything.

By bringing up Robert Byrd I am pointing out the hypocrissy that a racist Democrat gets a pass simply because he is a Democrat, while people claim Republicans are racist simply because they are Republicans.

[quote name='Jason' post='263361' date='May 4 2006, 02:00 PM']That's exactly my point. Most of the Republicans I know don't consider blacks as worthless and irrational. We think they are fully capable of supporting themselves and succeeding without having to rely on the government for their daily well being.

But that's besides the point. I'm concerned about the Republican party being called racist because I am a Republican, I am not racist, [b]and I find the generalization offensive[/b]. People keep making that claim, but can't support it with anything.

By bringing up Robert Byrd I am pointing out the hypocrissy that a racist Democrat gets a pass simply because he is a Democrat, while [b]people claim Republicans are racist simply because they are Republicans[/b].[/quote]
I find it rather ironic that some people criticize all Republicans for being prejudiced.

Reminds me of the self-proclaimed "non-conformists" I went to high school with who all seemed to look, act, and dress alike.

Guest Coy Bacon
[quote name='Jason' post='263361' date='May 4 2006, 02:00 PM']That's exactly my point. Most of the Republicans I know don't consider blacks as worthless and irrational. We think they are fully capable of supporting themselves and succeeding without having to rely on the government for their daily well being.

But that's besides the point. I'm concerned about the Republican party being called racist because I am a Republican, I am not racist, and I find the generalization offensive. People keep making that claim, but can't support it with anything.

By bringing up Robert Byrd I am pointing out the hypocrissy that a racist Democrat gets a pass simply because he is a Democrat, while people claim Republicans are racist simply because they are Republicans.[/quote]

[b]<NOTE: None of the following is meant to be interpreted as an endorsement for the Democratic Pary - Democrats aren't shit; they're just the subject of another discussion>[/b]

But your constant derisive minimization of every opinion or concern that blacks have as being a matter of us not wanting to support ourselves without relying on the government for our daily well being shows precisely how irrational and worthless you believe us to be. It would certainly be irrational to claim the Republicans are "racist," to use a meaningless cliche, simply because they are Republicans, as you allege.

I'll let white people determine among themselves if the Republican Party is "racist" - it's their party - some of them at least. "Racist" is a word, like "democracy," that shows the person that uses it without first defining what he means by it to be a charlatan. But, I do know how to identify my friends and my enemies, and I recognize the Republican Party as an enemy to me as a black person (also as a person who works for a living, as a person of conscience, and even as a U.S. citizen).

It is common knowlege (isn't it?) that since the days that the Republicans instituted the infamous "Southern Strategy" to elect Richard Nixon in the late 60's, the party has become the haven for the old Dixiecrats and their segregationist fellow travelers. Racist or not, race-baiting has become a Republican campaing and lobbying staple, as has projecting the blame for race-baiting on those that oppose it.

Somebody posted a thing at [url="http://www.mdcbowen.org/cobb/archives/000103.html"]http://www.mdcbowen.org/cobb/archives/000103.html[/url] that I thought was largely stupid in suggesting that blacks ought to integrate the Republican Party, but it did make one salient point:

[b]"if patriotism is the last refuge of scoundrels, then the republican party is the last refuge of white racists. it's important to know, however, that while desparate scoundrels get patriotic, not every patriot is a scoundrel. likewise not every republican is a racist."[/b]

Poppy Bush's campaign manager, Lee Atwater, in a 1981 interview gives insight as to why the hostility of the Republican Party is so abundantly clear to the vast majority of blacks (but we must be falling prey to our inherent irrationality), while being so vehemently denied by people that certainly don't fancy themselves as "racists," but who also are not the targets of that hostility:

[b]You start out in 1954 by saying, "Nigger, nigger, nigger." [u]By 1968 you can't say 'nigger'-- that hurts you. Backfires. So you say stuff like forced busing, states' rights and all that stuff[/u]. You're getting so [u]abstract[/u] now [that] you're talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you're talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is [that] blacks get hurt worse than whites.
And subconsciously maybe that is part of it. I'm not saying that. But I'm saying that [u]if it is getting that abstract, and that coded, that we are doing away with the racial problem one way or the other[/u]. You follow me -- [u]because obviously sitting around saying, "We want to cut this," is much more abstract than even the busing thing, and a hell of a lot more abstract than "Nigger, nigger." [/u] [1] [/b]

Those of us targeted, directly or indirectly, by this strategy know exactly how the game works, but of course we're too irrational and government dependent (translation "worthless") to know what the hell we're talking about, even if it does come from the horse's mouth. So we have to endure people that we can plainly see are ignorant calling us ignorant and talking down to us about how it's all in our irrational minds. And of course, while they don't bother to prove all their animus-laded stereotypes about us, they themselves d"proof," secure in the answer to the rhetorical question of the first writer, "who is going to go through all the trouble to prove this 'racism'?"

I'm sure as hell not going to go through all that trouble, but as an anecdotal exhibit, I'll present a further admission of the Republican race-baiting strategy with an apology from RNC chairman Ken Mehlman, followed by the typical response from Republican-oriented pundits:

[b]RNC Chief to Say It Was 'Wrong' to Exploit Racial Conflict for Votes

By Mike Allen

Thursday, July 14, 2005; Page A04

It was called "the southern strategy," started under Richard M. Nixon in 1968, and described [u]Republican efforts to use race as a wedge issue [/u] -- on matters such as desegregation and busing -- [u]to appeal to white southern voters.[/u]

[u]Ken Mehlman, the Republican National Committee chairman, this morning will tell the NAACP national convention in Milwaukee that it was "wrong."[/u]

"By the '70s and into the '80s and '90s, the Democratic Party solidified its gains in the African American community, and we Republicans did not effectively reach out," Mehlman says in his prepared text. "Some Republicans gave up on winning the African American vote, looking the other way or [u]trying to benefit politically from racial polarization. I am here today as the Republican chairman to tell you we were wrong."[/u]

Mehlman, a Baltimore native who managed President Bush's reelection campaign, goes on to discuss current overtures to minorities, calling it "not healthy for the country for our political parties to be so racially polarized." The party lists century-old outreach efforts in a new feature on its Web site, GOP.com, which was relaunched yesterday with new interactive features and a history section called "Lincoln's Legacy."[/b]

[url="http://mediamatters.org/items/200507140004"]http://mediamatters.org/items/200507140004[/url]
Thu, Jul 14, 2005 6:40pm EST

[b]Limbaugh blasted Mehlman's renunciation of GOP racial tactics: "Republicans are going to go bend over and grab the ankles"

Nationally syndicated radio host Rush Limbaugh blasted Republican National Committee (RNC) chairman Ken Mehlman's plans to apologize for his party's notorious Southern Strategy at the annual convention of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP). Responding to Mehlman's planned renunciation of the race-based electoral strategy, [u]Limbaugh accused Republicans of planning "to go bend over and grab the ankles."[/u]

Though [u]President Bush has refused to speak to the NAACP throughout his presidency[/u], Mehlman's July 14 speech to the NAACP renounced Republican efforts to capitalize politically on white Southerners' backlash against civil rights-era legislation. In his prepared remarks, Mehlman said, "Some Republicans gave up on winning the African-American vote, looking the other way or trying to benefit politically from racial polarization. I am here today as the Republican chairman to tell you we were wrong."

In discussing the topic, Limbaugh -- whom Bush described as a "good friend" in an August 2004 appearance on Limbaugh's show -- referred repeatedly to the group as the "NAALCP," which he has explained stands for the "National Association for the Advancement of Liberal Colored People."

From the July 14 edition of The Rush Limbaugh Show:

LIMBAUGH: President Bush skipping this week's annual NAALCP convention for the fifth straight year, but that's not preventing the White House and the Republican Party from waging a drive to woo African-American voters. Ken Mehlman of the RNC is going to the NAALCP convention, and he is basically going to tell them how the Republican Party of Abraham Lincoln lost its way with African-American voters over the years and how determined the party is to get them back. He said, "We can't call ourselves a true majority unless we reach out to African-Americans and make it the party of Lincoln. There was a time when African-American support turned Democrat, and we didn't do enough to retain it. Now we want to build on the gains we made in the last election."

Know what he's going to do? He's going to go down there and basically apologize for what has come to be known as the Southern Strategy, popularized in the Nixon administration. He's going to go down there and apologize for it. In the midst of all of this, in the midst of all that's going on, once again, Republicans are going to go bend over and grab the ankles. They're going to the NAALCP. This is like going into Hyannisport and apologizing to [Sen.] Ted Kennedy [D-MA] for whatever and expecting him to become a supporter. It's like showing up at the [Sen.] Chuck Schumer [D-NY]-Joe Wilson press conference in 20 minutes and saying, "Okay, Ambassador Wilson, we apologize. We hope you'll support us. We can't become a majority party until people like you are voting for us." It is just -- it's absolutely absurd.

—J.S[/b]

An excerpt from another piece that is a little soggy (perhaps not quite as soggy as Limbaugh's pointless diatribe), but makes the point:

[b]http://www.americanpolitics.com/20030110Thoreau.html

The Republicans' Real Message on Race Relations: We Don't Really Care
By Jackson Thoreau

Jan. 10, 2003 (APJP) -- I'm a blond-haired, blue-eyed, middle-class, middle-aged white guy who has lived most of my life in Dallas, Texas, probably the country's bastion of old-school racism.

I haven't been the victim of racism myself -- I don't subscribe to the reverse racism theory leveled by many closet Republican racists like William Bennett, who recently in the National Review equated universities with affirmative action policies that attempt to level the playing field with the same type of racism exhibited by the Ku Klux Klan, which has engaged in terrorism and murder for decades. [u]Because of my white-bread appearance, many white Republicans have felt comfortable enough around me during various times in my adult life to let their guard down and express their true feelings on matters of race.[/u]
Big mistake. This column is part of my payback for having to endure all those sickening comments. It's part of my payback for Republicans refusing to heed my responses that I don't appreciate their racist comments and them acting like there's something wrong with me because I don't play along.

I know from experience that [u]Trent Lott is only the tip of the iceberg [/u] when it comes to racism in the Republican Party.

I can't count the number of times some Anglo conservative has used the N-word in reference to African-Americans in front of me, even towards those they root for, such as Dallas Cowboys running back Emmitt Smith. I can't count the number of racial "jokes" or references some white City Council member, police officer, businessman, or other establishment figure - whom I know is a Republican - has told to my face. A popular "joke" during this time of year by such racist Republicans is, "What are you doing for Martin Luther Coon' Day?" Or they will snicker, "Have you learned anything during Black Ass' History Month?"

I've sat at high school football games in Republican-dominated towns as Anglo adults in the stands taunted the lone black player on the opposing team using that N-word. I've attended all-white meetings -- as a reporter, not participant - in which elitist Republicans have discussed getting around the Voting Rights Act by lobbying for requirements that voters have to own property. I didn't need someone to spell out what they were talking about -- they wanted some way to keep blacks from voting.

In the 1920s, Dallas had more Ku Klux Klan members per capita than any other large U.S. city. The city had an actual "segregation of the races" clause written in to its charter as late as 1968. Peter Gent, a former Cowboy player and author of classics like North Dallas Forty, says he was shocked to arrive from the Midwest in the mid-1960s to witness such blatant Jim Crow segregation. For example, the team's black players had to drive an extra hour from their segregated South Dallas neighborhoods to reach practice in North Dallas. Through lawsuits, protests, and other measures, the blatant racist policies are gone, but they have been replaced with subtle, back-door racism executed from still all-white country clubs and subdivisions in the suburbs.

[u]Sure, the white racists around here used to be mostly Democrats, who hated Lincoln-style Republicans who forced Reconstruction on them after the Civil War. But most of those have left the Democratic Party for the friendlier-for-them confines of the Republican Party, where they don't have to rub elbows with African-Americans at the multi-cultural Democratic functions that contrast with Republican events like black and white keys on a piano....[/u][/b]

Like the last guys says about Trent Lott, all this is the barest tip of the iceberg. I'm sure that died-in-the-wool Republican types will cavil and nay-say as they always do - hiding behind abstractions and insulting the intelligence of people that clearly understand the concrete motives being hidden, but that's the crux of all emnity. You say you're right - I say you're wrong - you say "screw you," I say, "No, screw you."

See how race functions in our society? It is the biggest red herring of all. The problem with Blackwell has nothing to do with his skin color and has everything to do with what it between his ears and in his heart (metaphorically speaking.) He has the soul of a scoundrel and the morals of a dishrag--his actions during the last election cycle pretty much proved that. I will give him this: he is a pretty good administrator, and that makes him effective at implementing bad policies.

On racism: Sadly, in our culture, everyone is a latent racist. And I mean everyone. Anyone who denies this is either a fool or a liar. So, how does one try to diminish this evil as a factor in one's life? By doing everything within their power to refrain from characterizing, describing, or analyzing from the perspective of race, especially in one's personal life.

To wit:

Someone you know: "Hey, see that black guy with the red hat over there."

You: "Hmm? I see a fellow with a red hat. And by the way, wouldn't 'red hat' be sufficient to distinguish to whom you are referring?"

Coy is Jesse Jackson couched in layman terms. I refuse to buy into this inherent racist crap....in fact, I reject it out of hand, It isn't about racism anymore, the class seperation we feel is due to economic struggle, and I, as a white man, am working as much as I can and am still struggling, and it has nothing to do with race, politics, etcetera.
It's just life, and I accept it.
Get a grip and a clue.

Guest Coy Bacon
[quote name='Homer_Rice' post='263731' date='May 4 2006, 11:04 PM']See how race functions in our society? It is the biggest red herring of all. The problem with Blackwell has nothing to do with his skin color and has everything to do with what it between his ears and in his heart (metaphorically speaking.) He has the soul of a scoundrel and the morals of a dishrag--his actions during the last election cycle pretty much proved that. I will give him this: he is a pretty good administrator, and that makes him effective at implementing bad policies.

On racism: Sadly, in our culture, everyone is a latent racist. And I mean everyone. Anyone who denies this is either a fool or a liar. So, how does one try to diminish this evil as a factor in one's life? By doing everything within their power to refrain from characterizing, describing, or analyzing from the perspective of race, especially in one's personal life.

To wit:

Someone you know: "Hey, see that black guy with the red hat over there."

You: "Hmm? I see a fellow with a red hat. And by the way, wouldn't 'red hat' be sufficient to distinguish to whom you are referring?"[/quote]

I agree, except that I'm not sure that racism is the issue. Everyone harbors some degree of prejudice for or against one thing or another. Everyone is latently bigotted in some way. Everyone is not necessarilly a latent racist - depending upon what definition you use of course.

In keeping with my own pronouncement about the dishonesty of using the term "racism" without defining your use of it, I consider "racism" to first be buying into the concept of "race" as though it denotes speciation versus "ethnicity," and secondly to assign human value based on this concept. I don't define it as simple prejudice or even bigotry. Just because a person has some predilection toward disliking a class of people for a good reason, bad reason, or no reason at all, doesn't mean that they actually make judgements about the superiority or inferiority, or worthiness to live of that class or any other. I don't have to like you to honor your value and rights as a human being - that's a common misconception that I think really does a lot of mischief.

I also don't use the definition that insists that to be "racist" a person or group has to have the power to impose its judgement and will on people - that's where the idea that blacks can't be racist comes from. While I think that whites often self-servingly overstate the import of black racism, and also often misunderstand the direction in which it most often flows, blacks can definitely be "racist" by the definition that I accept. Outwardly directed black racism is a lot less common than people think. Would that black people were MORE racist in that sense - we'd look after our interests more and fewer of us would engage in stupid-assed self-destructive behavior. You have some examples of stuff like the NOI's notion that white people are some subhuman sub-species created as a scurge by the evil Yacub, but most black racism is internalized white supremacy in either the form, "White is right, so I'll be as white as I can be," or "White is right, so, since I don't want to be white, I'll be as ass-backward wrong as I possibly can be."

Most of what defensive white people call black racism ranges from people standing up for themselves against being fucked over and talked down to, to people cracking and going apeshit over being fucked over and talked down to. And of course you have the few bad-apple "scates" that everybody likes to triumphantly paint us all with, who are trying to get over, and cry "DISCRIMINATION" to turn a fast buck or cover their sorry ass.

As for white "racism," when a white cat say, "I hate niggers!" That's not necessarilly racism - bigotry maybe, but the jury is still out on racism. He probably feels that way because he considers blacks to be subhuman miscreants or something, which is racist, but he didn't say that. Now, when a guy tells me he's not a racist, and so forth, and he's careful to keep everything in the abstract, but the tacit assumption in his arguments is that he must know better because of his inherent rationality and morality as white guy, or that I couldn't possibly know what the hell I'm talking about because what I'm saying doesn't agree with white orthodoxy - well, that's racist to me - for what it's worth. In the end, I don't care because I only look at my interests. In the end I can probably do business with the "I hate niggers" guy better than I can with the smug, smarmy, dodging asshole.

I think the world would be better if people didn't worry so much about whether they were racist or not and spent more time worrying about loving their enemies - i.e. don't fuck over people and minimize them just because you don't like them or even respect them. If you can't do anything else, leave them the fuck alone. But yeah, the issue with Blackwell isn't that he's black, it's that he's a low-life piece of shit. The black part comes in when he's paraded as some kind of paragon of black virtue while all the world can see that he's a low-life piece of shit.

Guest Bengal_Smoov

[quote name='Coy Bacon' post='263770' date='May 4 2006, 10:40 PM'][b]I think the world would be better if people didn't worry so much about whether they were racist or not and spent more time worrying about loving their enemies - i.e. don't fuck over people and minimize them just because you don't like them or even respect them. If you can't do anything else, leave them the fuck alone.[/b] But yeah, the issue with Blackwell isn't that he's black, it's that he's a low-life piece of shit. The black part comes in when he's paraded as some kind of paragon of black virtue while all the world can see that he's a low-life piece of shit.[/quote]

:bowdown:

Very true

Archived