Sheppard named WR coach

[url="http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=5849"]Bengals.com[/url]

Posted: 11:05 a.m.

Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis has turned to one of his own to coach the Bengals’ most prolific wide receiving corps in history.

The Bengals announced Tuesday that Lewis has tapped Mike Sheppard, the former college head coach that hired Lewis the first two times he left his his alma mater. Sheppard hired Lewis as his linebackers coach at Long Beach State in 1985 after Lewis worked four seasons at Idaho State, and then brought him to the University of New Mexico when he joined the Lobos in 1987.

But Sheppard, 55, has the NFL experience the club seeks to replace Hue Jackson, the Falcons’ new offensive coordinator. He has worked with six NFL teams on the offensive side of the ball, including Bill Belichick’s Cleveland Browns of 1993-95 and Mike Holmgrem’s first staff in Seattle that secured his first playoff berth with the Seahawks. Sheppard’s last pro job was as the Saints offensive coordinator before Sean Payton replaced Jim Haslett as head coach before the 2006 season.

here's the rest:

[quote]“I’m pleased to announce Mike’s addition to our offensive staff,” said Lewis. “He has a wealth of NFL experience as a position coach over wide receivers and quarterbacks, as well as experience as a coordinator. I’ve coached alongside Mike in the NFL, and I coached under him in college. We know each other very well and are excited to work together again.”

In Sheppard’s last four seasons in the NFL (2002-05), he was with New Orleans. As quarterbacks coach his first three years with the Saints, he worked to develop Aaron Brooks, who threw for 72 touchdowns and only 39 interceptions during those three seasons. Sheppard was promoted to offensive coordinator for 2005, the last season for Haslett at New Orleans.

Sheppard and Lewis were coaching colleagues in 1996 with the Baltimore Ravens. Sheppard was WRs coach and Lewis was defensive coordinator. Sheppard had his first NFL experience as a play-caller that season, as he was given the duty by head coach Ted Marchibroda, and the Ravens offense finished third in the NFL in net yards, as well as second in passing yards.

After Sheppard's stint with the Browns and Ravens, he was offensive coordinator for San Diego (1997-98), QBs coach for Seattle (1999-2000) and offensive coordinator for Buffalo (2001). Sheppard was former Bengals QB Jon Kitna’s position coach in 1999, when Kitna led the Seahawks to an AFC West title. Sheppard’s 2001 Buffalo offense ranked 13th in the NFL.

A native of Tulsa, Okla., Sheppard played WR at Cal Lutheran (1969-72), and he entered coaching at Cal Lutheran in 1974. He holds a bachelor’s degree from Cal Lutheran and a master’s degree from Brigham Young.[/quote]

I agree - and I'm glad that Robiskie didn't get it, as I wasn't a fan of his.

I remember reading an article a few years ago about the Saints, and how their former #1 pick, WR Donte Stallworth (now an Eagle), was talking about how it's great working with him, how he listens to his players and puts them in a position to be successful.

Saw this on Pro Football Weekly...

Bengal WR coach Hue Jackson was respected and liked by his players, and he worked well with WR Chris Henry. Jackson has moved on to Atlanta to become the Falcons’ offensive coordinator, and there’s a feeling that the Bengals were fortunate to have had a coach of his caliber in the fold for three seasons.

[quote][size=3][b]Bengals hire receivers coach[/b][/size]

BY MARK CURNUTTE | MCURNUTTE@ENQUIRER.COM

Mike Sheppard, who used to be Marvin Lewis' boss, is the Bengals' new wide receivers coach.

Sheppard, a former college head coach at Long Beach State and New Mexico, replaces Hue Jackson. Jackson was hired last week as offensive coordinator for the Atlanta Falcons.

Sheppard and Lewis coached together as assistants for one year with the Baltimore Ravens. Sheppard recently was quarterbacks coach for the New Orleans Saints. He was on Jim Haslett's staff with the Saints prior to Haslett's firing in 2005.

Sheppard inherits a group of receivers considered among the league's most talented and productive.

He faces challenges in coaching an emotional Chad Johnson and trying to keep talented but troubled Chris Henry on the field each week.

Sheppard will be in his 14th season as an NFL coach in 2007, and has held offensive coordinator’s posts at San Diego (1997-98), Buffalo (2001) and New Orleans (2005).

“I’m pleased to announce Mike’s addition to our offensive staff,” Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis said in a statement this morning.

“He has a wealth of NFL experience as a position coach over wide receivers and quarterbacks, as well as experience as a coordinator. I’ve coached alongside Mike in the NFL, and I coached under him in college. We know each other very well and are excited to work together again.”[/quote]

[url="http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070116/SPT02/301160017"]Enquirer.com[/url]

[quote][size=3][b]Lewis hires longtime friend as wide receivers coach[/b][/size]
Click-2-Listen
By Chick Ludwig

Staff Writer

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

CINCINNATI — Mike Sheppard, a former offensive coordinator with three NFL teams, was hired as the Cincinnati Bengals' wide receivers coach on Tuesday.

Sheppard, a longtime friend and associate of Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis, replaces Hue Jackson, who became offensive coordinator for the Atlanta Falcons on Jan. 8.

Sheppard held offensive coordinator posts at San Diego (1997-98), Buffalo (2001) and New Orleans (2005). He served as the Saints' quarterbacks coach from 2002-04, helping to develop Aaron Brooks, who threw for 72 touchdowns and 39 interceptions in three seasons. Sheppard was promoted to offensive coordinator in 2005, the final season for head coach Jim Haslett's staff at New Orleans.

"I'm pleased to announce Mike's addition to our offensive staff," Lewis said. "He has a wealth of NFL experience as a position coach over wide receivers and quarterbacks, as well as experience as a coordinator. I've coached alongside Mike in the NFL, and I coached under him in college. We know each other very well and are excited to work together again."

The Lewis-Sheppard association dates more than 20 years. In 1985, Sheppard was head coach at Long Beach State when he hired Lewis as linebackers coach. Lewis moved with Sheppard to New Mexico in 1987, and Lewis stayed through 1989 before leaving for the University of pissburgh.

The two were colleagues in Baltimore in 1996 under Ravens head coach Ted Marchibroda. Sheppard coached the wide receivers, while Lewis served as defensive coordinator.

The 2007 season marks Sheppard's 14th year as an NFL assistant.

He entered the league in 1993 as tight ends coach for the Cleveland Browns, and coached the Browns wide receivers in 1994-95. After his 1996 season in Baltimore, he was offensive coordinator for San Diego (1997-98), quarterbacks coach for Seattle (1999-2000) and offensive coordinator for Buffalo (2001).

Sheppard was former Bengals quarterback Jon Kitna's position coach in 1999 when Kitna led the Seahawks to the AFC West title.

A native of Tulsa, Okla., Sheppard played wide receiver at Cal Lutheran (1969-72), and entered coaching at Cal Lutheran in 1974. He holds a bachelor's degree from Cal Lutheran and a master's from Brigham Young.[/quote]

[url="http://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/content/oh/story/sports/pro/bengals/2007/01/16/ddn011606bengalsweb.html?cxtype=rss&cxsvc=7&cxcat=25"]Enquirer.com[/url]

Welcome to Bengaldom Mike Sheppard!!!

Your resume is impressive and I'm confident you will do a good job.

I think having a guy who has known Marvin for such a long time and holds in high regard will help as he knows what Marvin is looking for from his wr's coach. He does have his work cut out for him though as dealing with talented but difficult wr's can be a headache, the fact that Hue was able to the most out of them shows what a great coach Hue is.

Guest BengalBacker
[quote name='Nati Ice' post='427767' date='Jan 16 2007, 12:46 PM']i really dont see a guy with a ba from cal lutheran and a masters from byu relating well to the likes of chris henry and reggie mcneil
better than robiskie i guess[/quote]

Wonder if this guy was available.

[img]http://www.yourworldzero.com/3g/images/chappelle_tyrone.jpg[/img]

From wikipedia...

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Sheppard"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Sheppard[/url]

[quote]Mike Sheppard was a college football coach. From 1984 to 1987, he served as the head football coach at California State University at Long Beach, where he compiled a 16-18 record through 3 seasons. In 1984 to 1985, he compiled back-to-back winning seasons at 6-6 and 6-5 respectively. From 1987 to 1991, he took the head coaching job at New Mexico, and led the Lobos to a 9-50 record. This all seemed so much worse when his best season was a 3-9 season in 1991.[/quote]

On a different note, I'd like to hear what other players have said about him. Hopefully he is good.

[quote name='BengalBacker' post='427775' date='Jan 16 2007, 12:55 PM']Wonder if this guy was available.

[img]http://www.yourworldzero.com/3g/images/chappelle_tyrone.jpg[/img][/quote]

Along those lines, I wonder if the leauge would let us replace gatoraid for redballs. [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/39.gif[/img]

Old article I found. Looks like ol' Shep has coached under Belichick, Holmgren, Mike McCarthy, Haslett, and several other "big name" coaches such as Kevin Gilbride and Norm Chow... and has been OC in three separate NFL cities (SD, NO, and Buffalo). I also read where he was being considered back in Baltimore, and the Jets when Mangini was hired as HC last year.

=====

Saints QB's Coach Sheppard Steps Up
Slew of outside interviews turns up no better prospects

posted February 5, 2005 - print me!
updated February 7, 2005
neworleansprofootball.com

Sheppard talks with OC Mike McCarthy during training camp
Despite interviewing several outside candidates, the Saints have stayed in house and, according to various new reports, will promote Mike Sheppard to offensive coordinator.

The Saints have also announced the hiring of former Bengals QB Turk Schonert as their quarterbacks coach. Sheppard served last season as the Saints' quarterbacks coach..

Sheppard worked closely with offensive coordinator Mike McCarthy and the quarterbacks on the team for the past three seasons, and was in consideration for the offensive coodinator job with the Baltimore Ravens earlier in the offseason. The Saints interviewed several candidates, seemingly in an attempt to see if there was anyone better than their own candidate.

Sheppard arrived in 2002 and has been working with QB Aaron Brooks for three of his 5 1/2 years as a starter in the NFL. Brooks has a 56.5% completion percentage and an 82.8 average passer rating in the past three seasons.

A teacher first and tactician second, Sheppard is a respected offensive mind and talent developer. Prior to his tenure with the Saints, Sheppard was the offensive coordinator for one year in Buffalo in 2001. The 3-13 Bills were 27th in the NFL in points scored, and Sheppard had to rely on the woeful Scott Van Pelt and Rob Johnson. Sheppard came to Buffalo from Seattle, where for 1998-1999 he was the quarterbacks coach for Mike Holmgren in Seattle, working with Jon Kitna. In 1996 and 1997, Sheppard was the offensive coordinator for Kevin Gilbride's terrible pair of years in San Diego. Gilbride would later replace his former assistant Sheppard in Buffalo, only to himself be fired after two seasons.

Before then, Sheppard worked as a receivers coach with the Browns/Ravens from 1993-1996, the offensive coordinator/QB coach for the University of California in 1992, the head coach of the New Mexico Lobos from 1987-1991, and various other collegiate coaching jobs in the 1980s.

Turk Schonert, former Bengals quarterback and assistant coach with the New York Giants, has been hired to be the Saints' quarterbacks coach. A former Bill Walsh student at Stanford University, Schonert was a quarterback for the Bengals in the 1980s where he learned under Sam Wyche, Ken Anderson and Boomer Esiason. An up-and-coming guru in the West Coast offensive system he played in, Schonert has served in a similar coaching role with the Tampa Bay, Cincinnatti, Buffalo, New York and Carolina.

The Saints interviewed several candidates for offensive coordinator including Broncos RB coach Bobby Turner, former Bears offensive coordinator John Shoop, former Miami assistant Marc Trestman and had interest in Browns assistant Terry Robiskie and Lions QB coach Greg Olsen and Packers coordinator Tom Rossley.

[quote name='Nelson Muntz' post='427764' date='Jan 16 2007, 12:43 PM']Welcome to Bengaldom Mike Sheppard!!!

Your resume is impressive and I'm confident you will do a good job.
I think having a guy who has known Marvin for such a long time and holds in high regard will help as he knows what Marvin is looking for from his wr's coach. He does have his work cut out for him though as dealing with talented but difficult wr's can be a headache, the fact that[b] Hue was able to the most out of them shows what a great coach Hue is[/b].[/quote]

If thats the most that we could possibly get out of them then we are in for several more seasons of Chad disappearing, Henry loafing, and a sideshow circus every few weeks.
Hue did OK, but certainly didnt help anyone (other than TJ) achieve up to their level.
I hope this guy does a MUCH better job than Hue.

[quote name='BengalBacker' post='427775' date='Jan 16 2007, 12:55 PM']Wonder if this guy was available.

[img]http://www.yourworldzero.com/3g/images/chappelle_tyrone.jpg[/img][/quote]

[color="#FF0000"][b]Nah, that guy was Odell Thurman's position coach in college.[/b][/color]

:ninja:

[quote name='big_dish' post='427809' date='Jan 16 2007, 01:23 PM']If thats the most that we could possibly get out of them then we are in for several more seasons of Chad disappearing, Henry loafing, and a sideshow circus every few weeks.
Hue did OK, but certainly didnt help anyone (other than TJ) achieve up to their level.
I hope this guy does a MUCH better job than Hue.[/quote]

How many years has CJ either lead the AFC or the NFL is receiving yards? How many other 7th round picks are now starting and avg. 900 or so yards per season? How many 2nd year wr's have as many td catches as Henry?

To say that Hue wasn't a hell of a wr coach is just not right, he got the most out of a talented but emotional group. Although our wr corp has talent, motivating them to perform on a weekly basis isn't the easiest job in the world.

Archived