Latest Rumor - Marvin to Dallas

[quote name='TheBZ' post='432236' date='Jan 24 2007, 12:08 PM']No.

You don't get rid of the guy that pulled you out of the gutter, without at least giving him the chance to take you all the way to the top...And a 4-year window is awfully small for a 32-team parity-driven league.

Besides...If someone actually wanted to give those kinds of picks for Marvin, it would be because he is worth it. So why get rid of a guy who is worth it?

It is silly talk...But it unfortunately has revealed the psychological fragility and absense of loyalty in some fans.

BZ[/quote]

My Loyalty is to the Cincinnati Bengals, not to Marvin Lewis. My loyalty is to fielding a winner.

So the equation to examine is what has a better chance of helping this team? Marvin Lewis or 2 first rounders 2 second rounders.

To me, I would take the draft picks over the coach. The coach has done his part in turning the franchise around and has put the players in place to play. With the extra picks, we could take the team to a dominate level regardless of the HC.

EDIT: Also, everyone needs to quit with thinking Marvin will take this team to the next level. Our team and franchise revolves around 1 person and that's Carson Palmer. It doesn't matter who the coach is, Carson is this team.

[quote name='Phatcat' post='432235' date='Jan 24 2007, 12:07 PM']My take is that the Brown family would never agree to such a deal unless Marvin, himself, came to Mike and said it's time to move on. If I were Mike, and this were to happen, I would have to pull the trigger and rape the cowgirls for everything I could get. I think Marvin is a very loyal person and one who thinks very highly of the Mike and family for the opportunity he was given when no one else would and the power he has.

If I were Mike Brown, the only way I would consider even going into negotiations is if Marvin came to me and asked. That would be telling and I would have to move on. Other than that, I would never trade the coach for even a Hershel Walker or Ricky Williams deal.[/quote]
[b]Great point..Marvin interviewed numerous times for HC positions that he never got..The biggest farce was him not getting the Buffalo job ..they hired Gregg Williams instead. I feel as if he stays as bengals coach for a very very long time. We win multiple SB's with him ..no doubt..[/b]

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='432240' date='Jan 24 2007, 12:10 PM']Am I the only one who thinks this is wishfull thinking on Florio's part, more so than a rumor? The silly stealers fans prefered it when they didnt have compition in the division.[/quote]

No, your not the only one. The guy is a Stooler and would love it if Marvin left.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='432240' date='Jan 24 2007, 12:10 PM']Am I the only one who thinks this is wishfull thinking on Florio's part, more so than a rumor? The silly stealers fans prefered it when they didnt have compition in the division.[/quote]

Agree and to just throw shit against the wall and see if anything sticks. But as a fan it is an interesting hypothetical to discuss. As i said, the only way I would consider it, is if Marvin asked for an opportunity to look elsewhere. That is the only scenario, as Mike Brown, that I would consider.

But interesting to see other peoples opinions.......

[quote name='Jeb' post='432243' date='Jan 24 2007, 12:12 PM']No, your not the only one. The guy is a Stooler and would love it if Marvin left.[/quote]
[b]The Squealers just took it in the shorts by losing Russ Grimm..That dude is a badass coach. I wish that we could have gotten him to join forces with Marvin as an assistant...[/b]

[quote name='Phatcat' post='432249' date='Jan 24 2007, 12:14 PM']Agree and to just throw shit against the wall and see if anything sticks. But as a fan it is an interesting hypothetical to discuss. As i said, the only way I would consider it, is if Marvin asked for an opportunity to look elsewhere. That is the only scenario, as Mike Brown, that I would consider.

But interesting to see other peoples opinions.......[/quote]

And I really dont see Marvin asking to be released, I think he wants to the chance to prove his players can do what he set out to do, and also his status as a coach would go very very far when he brings us from joke of the league to champions (which I still believe he can).

[quote name='sneaky' post='432215' date='Jan 24 2007, 11:55 AM'][color="#FF0000"][b]Marvin just cant leave if he wants to, he is under contract, and Mike Brown would
have none of it if Jones inquired about him.

Stupid rumor, by a Pissburgh fan that owns a cheesy website.[/b][/color][/quote]

Absolutely! Couldn't agree more with this.

[quote name='Palmer4HOF' post='432248' date='Jan 24 2007, 12:14 PM']Why? The stealers have owned Marvin?[/quote]

No. The owner of that website is a huge Stooler. He had admitted it when they made the run for the Superbowl. He will always have bias. Just wait until Cowher ends up with the Stains. He'll be all over them next.

Guest ravonaf
[quote name='sneaky' post='432231' date='Jan 24 2007, 12:04 PM'][color="#FF0000"][b]No he cannot. Lewis could resign, but he wouldn't be allowed to coach another team in
2007.[/b][/color][/quote]

Yes he could. It would be football suicide to keep a coach under contract who wants out. It would never ever happen. The coach has so much control of the team he has to truly love what he does for the team to win. Just talk of a head coach wanting out would have the owner wanting to let him leave. Marvin would never willingly do something to hurt the team. But unwillingly his heart wouldn't be in it and soP would know that. Why risk it? Let him leave and get something for him.

[quote name='Palmer4HOF' post='432241' date='Jan 24 2007, 12:11 PM']My Loyalty is to the Cincinnati Bengals, not to Marvin Lewis. My loyalty is to fielding a winner.

So the equation to examine is what has a better chance of helping this team? Marvin Lewis or 2 first rounders 2 second rounders.
To me, I would take the draft picks over the coach. The coach has done his part in turning the franchise around and has put the players in place to play. With the extra picks, we could take the team to a dominate level regardless of the HC.

[b]EDIT: Also, everyone needs to quit with thinking Marvin will take this team to the next level. Our team and franchise revolves around 1 person and that's Carson Palmer. It doesn't matter who the coach is, Carson is this team.[/b][/quote]

I dont agree, but thats something that really wolnt be decided untill Carson is gone, if Marvin is still here and get the chance to build without Carson.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='432252' date='Jan 24 2007, 12:17 PM']And I really dont see Marvin asking to be released, I think he wants to the chance to prove his players can do what he set out to do, and also his status as a coach would go very very far when he brings us from joke of the league to champions (which I still believe he can).[/quote]
[b]agreed...big time!![/b]

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='432252' date='Jan 24 2007, 12:17 PM']And I really dont see Marvin asking to be released, I think he wants to the chance to prove his players can do what he set out to do, and also his status as a coach would go very very far when he brings us from joke of the league to champions (which I still believe he can).[/quote]

I agree 1000%. Marvin has a mission. It hit a bump in the road, but I still have faith in him and he will learn, grow, and move onward and upward. He is not walking away.....

[quote name='CatScratchFever' post='432256' date='Jan 24 2007, 12:20 PM']Do you really think that after dealing with nine arrested players in one year, that he'd jump ship to go work with Terrell Owens?

Dealing with that punk has GOT to be at least as bad if not worse.[/quote]

I remember a reporter last year asking Marvin at one of the press conferences if he would take TO, he gave him an emphatic NO! So I tend to agree.

[quote name='Jeb' date='Jan 24 2007, 12:18 PM' post='432254']
No. The owner of that website is a huge Stooler. He had admitted it when they made the run for the Superbowl. He will always have bias. Just wait until Cowher ends up with the Stains. He'll be all over them next.
[/quot

[b]I think Cowher ends up there to start the 2008 season..[/b]

[quote name='New Jersey Bengal' post='432250' date='Jan 24 2007, 12:15 PM'][b]The Squealers just took it in the shorts by losing Russ Grimm..That dude is a badass coach. I wish that we could have gotten him to join forces with Marvin as an assistant...[/b][/quote]

Yeah, ....that made my day when I read that! :D

[quote name='ravonaf' post='432255' date='Jan 24 2007, 12:18 PM']Yes he could. It would be football suicide to keep a coach under contract who wants out. It would never ever happen. The coach has so much control of the team he has to truly love what he does for the team to win. Just talk of a head coach wanting out would have the owner wanting to let him leave. Marvin would never willingly do something to hurt the team. But unwillingly his heart wouldn't be in it and soP would know that. Why risk it? Let him leave and get something for him.[/quote]

You dont remember the Brown/Jones arguments during the past few years do you?

[quote name='Phatcat' post='432259' date='Jan 24 2007, 12:21 PM']I agree 1000%. Marvin has a mission. It hit a bump in the road, but I still have faith in him and he will learn, grow, and move onward and upward. He is not walking away.....[/quote]

And that bump in the road knocked a few off the banwagon.

Guest ravonaf
Yeah. Marvins not going any place. He likes it where he's at currently. I just think he tried to take a shortcut with some of the players he has drafted and it's hurt. I still think he's an excellent coach and he likes where he's at. I also think he owes a lot of loyalty to the Bengals for giving him his shot when so many other passed him up. He's got a franchise QB and a lot of young players he can mold.

[quote name='New Jersey Bengal' post='432261' date='Jan 24 2007, 12:22 PM'][quote name='Jeb' post='432254' date='Jan 24 2007, 12:18 PM']
No. The owner of that website is a huge Stooler. He had admitted it when they made the run for the Superbowl. He will always have bias. Just wait until Cowher ends up with the Stains. He'll be all over them next.[/quote]

[b]I think Cowher ends up there to start the 2008 season..[/b]
[/quote]

I dont know about '08 but I do think Cowher will be back within the next 5 years.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='432257' date='Jan 24 2007, 12:20 PM']I dont agree, but thats something that really wolnt be decided untill Carson is gone, if Marvin is still here and get the chance to build without Carson.[/quote]

So you think Marvin will be here until 2014? Thats wishful thinking...

Mikey obviously showed who he thought was the face of this franchise with that resign. Listen, Marvin did his job of getting the right players here but Carson will be the reason this team fails or succeeds... not Marvin. Look at the colts with Peyton. Thats not Dungy, its Peyton. The way our team is built right now, it all revolves around our QB. If we had a better D with 4 additional picks over the next 2 years, think of how much that would benefit this team??

Guest ravonaf
[quote name='Jamie_B' post='432263' date='Jan 24 2007, 12:23 PM']You dont remember the Brown/Jones arguments during the past few years do you?[/quote]

Sure I do. And I know that soP is a business man first. It would be a poor business decission to keep a coach who wants out. Especially when you can get something for him rather than risk it and end up wasting a year keeping him on and then getting nothing. But that's not why he's not going any place. He's staying because he believes he can win in Cincy.

Archived