** HOLY CRAP THE FEDS GOT ME FOR TORRENT DOWNLOADS **

well not the feds, and they didnt "get me" but zoomtown shut my shit off this morning cause i downloaded fear and loathing in las vegas from azureus. looks like i need to use the ip privacy tool. they shut me down, and then my browser would only launch this big legal page about what happened and i have to write a hand written letter explaining it was a mistake and the file was removed. yadda yadda. so i call in, i told her i removed the file and she turned me back on right away...

she told me the filename and date and everything... fucked up, i am going to get a letter in the mail i have to fill out and return or its cut off perminantly..

Same thing happened to me for a HBO TV show episode.

I was lucky I was working for Zoomtown at the time, I just called work and was turned right back on.
The people in the "Abuse" department really dont care about what you download, they just have to follow the letters they get from the studios or face legal action themselves.

I probably know the girl that you talked to and she couldnt care less what you downloaded. In fact I'm pretty sure that the majority of people that work for Zoomtown are downloading things that they shouldnt be.

Its because of this that I don't use torrents anymore. I went back to IRC to download movies and tv.
You didn't get in trouble for downloading, it was that you were uploading as well. The problem with torrents is that if you don't upload, your download speed is terrible so you can't turn the upload off.

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain
[quote name='bodah' post='439034' date='Feb 8 2007, 06:05 PM']Same thing happened to me for a HBO TV show episode.

I was lucky I was working for Zoomtown at the time, I just called work and was turned right back on.
The people in the "Abuse" department really dont care about what you download, they just have to follow the letters they get from the studios or face legal action themselves.

I probably know the girl that you talked to and she couldnt care less what you downloaded. In fact I'm pretty sure that the majority of people that work for Zoomtown are downloading things that they shouldnt be.

Its because of this that I don't use torrents anymore. I went back to IRC to download movies and tv.
You didn't get in trouble for downloading, it was that you were uploading as well. The problem with torrents is that if you don't upload, your download speed is terrible so you can't turn the upload off.[/quote]
what is IRC?

[quote name='A-Men-HouseofPain' post='439093' date='Feb 9 2007, 09:27 AM']what is IRC?[/quote]

Internet Relay Chat. You can exchange files there too. The software is free. I think the URL is www.mirc.com
MULLY
haven't used IRC for years

[quote name='bodah' post='439034' date='Feb 8 2007, 06:05 PM']Same thing happened to me for a HBO TV show episode.

You didn't get in trouble for downloading, it was that you were uploading as well. The problem with torrents is that if you don't upload, your download speed is terrible so you can't turn the upload off.[/quote]

yea she totally gave no fucks about it...

i let it download overnight, and it uplaoded several times, had a share ratio of like 7... i usualy have a share ratio of 1 for everything to keep decent speeds and leave several things in que "paused" with over 1 share ratio...and i always leave the azureus update files uploading non stop...might have to go to irc route..

[color="#FF0000"][b]Damn criminal. What happened to honesty in this world? I'd never do something like that.[/b][/color]

[size=1]http://forum.go-bengals.com/index.php?showtopic=27914[/size]

:ninja:

Is it illegal to download off of Limewire? My son told me its not because Limewire buys the songs but he's only 14 so what does he know?

Should I be worried? [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/42.gif[/img] Should I make him stop?

[quote name='Storm' post='439657' date='Feb 10 2007, 04:37 PM']Is it illegal to download off of Limewire? My son told me its not because Limewire buys the songs but he's only 14 so what does he know?
Should I be worried? [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/42.gif[/img] Should I make him stop?[/quote]
And you believed him? Yeah, they pay millions of dollars for licensing and royalty fees and then give the songs away for free. Right. By the way, you know that baggie of "oregano" under his bed? I got news for you...

Seriously, though, the only thing I'd worry about from Limewire is all the spyware and viruses that are getting loaded onto your PC as we speak. The copyright laws in this matter are still rather ambiguous, and very few people actually get taken to court over it. Only when the record companies feel like making an example of someone does it ever actually happen, and even then they go after the big fish.

Anyone looking to go back to the mid to late 90's for downloading and use irc, www.packetnews.com is a great irc search engine. Its not necesarily got the most stuff, but its probably the safest way next to newsgroups to download something. Its just you and the computer sending it to you.

Archived