Eric Milton can`t even get Single A players out

Guest oldschooler

Guest oldschooler
[quote][size=5][b]Don't blow up the blog, but . . . [/b][/size]

Eric Milton gave up five home runs in six ininngs to the Single-A Pirates. He gave up 11 hits and three 93 pitch. The wind was blowing out, but it was less than 100 mph.

Milton was none too happy.

How did it go?

"It went."

Were you just geting the ball up?

"I don't know. You can't pitch your game. You can't set anyone up."

But you felt OK?

"Yeah. I threw close to 100 pitches. I got my work in."

You can't put much stock in the spring stats, and Single-A players swing from the heels against a big leaguer, but Milton is becoming PR nightmare for the Reds. Matt Belisle has a 2.08 ERA; Bobby Livingston has a 1.23 ERA and one of them is going to start the year in Triple-A. Milton is 16-23 with 5.89 ERA in two years with the Reds and he's getting a spot on track record.

But $9 million is a lot of eat.[/quote]

[url="http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/redsinsider/default.asp"]http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/redsinsider/default.asp[/url]

[quote name='oldschooler' post='462710' date='Mar 26 2007, 06:24 PM'][url="http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/redsinsider/default.asp"]http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/redsinsider/default.asp[/url][/quote]

:doh:

Which dipshit GM signed that guy?

I can't remember.

Or maybe I'm just repressing it...

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain

[quote name='Elflocko' post='462712' date='Mar 26 2007, 07:29 PM']:doh:

Which dipshit GM signed that guy?

I can't remember.

Or maybe I'm just repressing it...[/quote]
Dan "The Beast" O'Brien.

if the Reds were smart they'd just dump his ass and not fuck up the team becuase he makes 9 mill. Either way he is geting paid. Dont sacrifice the record just to avoid looking bad on releasing a guy making 9 mill.

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' post='462729' date='Mar 26 2007, 07:58 PM']anyone we can trade him for a crappy player and have another team pay his 9 mil[/quote]

As lance was saying, put Livingston in the rotation, and let Milton walk. I would rather pay $9.3M for someone who might win half his starts than $9M for someone who will lose 2/3 of them.

Guest bengalrick
he is still one of the best 4rth starters on any team.. as long as our owner is not looking at self imposed salary cap, i still want to let him play his last year out and hopefully he can get it together...

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain

[quote name='bengalrick' post='462983' date='Mar 27 2007, 11:46 AM']he is still one of the best 4rth starters on any team.. as long as our owner is not looking at self imposed salary cap, i still want to let him play his last year out and hopefully he can get it together...[/quote]
he is our # 3 starter :thumbsdown:

Guest bengalrick

[quote name='A-Men-HouseofPain' post='463176' date='Mar 27 2007, 04:08 PM']he is our # 3 starter :thumbsdown:[/quote]

oh.... yeah.... your right... :(

One of the worst starters, period, usually. O'Brien was retarded to sign a flyball pitcher in our ballpark. That being said, he did show flashes of competence last year, and I'm not giving up hope that in the most ideal of circumstances, he can put up a mid-4's ERA and win 10 games. I'd hate to cut him and watch him pitch well for another team, a la Dave Williams.

O'Brien did some dumb things, but I wish we still had him around the organization somewhere. That mofo could draft!

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain
[quote name='Go Tory Go!' post='463798' date='Mar 28 2007, 04:05 PM']One of the worst starters, period, usually. O'Brien was retarded to sign a flyball pitcher in our ballpark. That being said, he did show flashes of competence last year, and I'm not giving up hope that in the most ideal of circumstances, he can put up a mid-4's ERA and win 10 games. I'd hate to cut him and watch him pitch well for another team, a la Dave Williams.

O'Brien did some dumb things, but I wish we still had him around the organization somewhere. [b]That mofo could draft![/b][/quote]
so can wayne.

[quote name='A-Men-HouseofPain' post='463860' date='Mar 28 2007, 05:58 PM']so can wayne.[/quote]

I guess technically Wayne can draft, but so far nobody's impressed. In O'Brien's short time as GM, he gave us Jay Bruce and Homer Bailey, along with others like Travis Wood, who haven't been to shabby themselves. I can't even remember the last time the Reds were producing top-notch talent from their drafts before O'Brien. Although I realize it's impossible to read too much into the success of Krivsky's draftees, I think everyone will agree that Drew Stubbs is going nowhere fast.

O'Brien hit bigtime with his 1st rounders - 2/2.
Jury's still out on Krivsky, but all indicators point to 0/1.

Also, I was irate on draft day when I heard we got Stubbs, especially since it was suggested we'd get Tim Lincecum, who wasn't good enough for Krivsky. Look at Lincecum now :(

I hope you're not one of those who thinks Krivsky's shit doesn't stink. He started out with some undenaible gem moves, but by now he's made just as many retarded and devastating ones. And he's even made some ridiculous non-moves, such as keeping Narron around. Right now, I have hope for the franchise only because of things done by those preceding him, namely Joey Votto, Jay Bruce, and Homer.

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain
[quote name='Go Tory Go!' post='463873' date='Mar 28 2007, 06:46 PM']I hope you're not one of those who thinks Krivsky's shit doesn't stink. He started out with some undenaible gem moves, but by now he's made just as many retarded and devastating ones. And he's even made some ridiculous non-moves, such as keeping Narron around. Right now, I have hope for the franchise only because of things done by those preceding him, namely Joey Votto, Jay Bruce, and Homer.[/quote]
i am not a krivsky cock sucker. HOWEVER i loved and still love the Kearns/Lopez trade. Bill Bray is going to be great, Majewski (if we werent given damaged goods) would be very good for us and we saved over 10 million dollars a year, which enabled us to resign Harang and Arroyo. Lopez bat isnt worth his glove and Kearns isnt worth the potential that he cant even stay on the field or show.

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain
And i liked the pick of Drew Stubbs and he doesnt have to come along quick. He can take his team. Also Krivsky was the # 1 supporter of Johan Santana in Minnesota and one of the main reasons they got him and kept him.

[quote name='A-Men-HouseofPain' post='463879' date='Mar 28 2007, 06:53 PM']i am not a krivsky cock sucker. HOWEVER i loved and still love the Kearns/Lopez trade. Bill Bray is going to be great, Majewski (if we werent given damaged goods) would be very good for us and we saved over 10 million dollars a year, which enabled us to resign Harang and Arroyo. [b]Lopez bat isnt worth his glove [/b]and Kearns isnt worth the potential that he cant even stay on the field or show.[/quote]

What is your opinion of Edwin then? I'd say they are similar fielders, though Lopez is a better offensive player, especially at his position. Though 3rd isn't as important as short, I still think it was a mistake to get rid of Lopez, since he and Edwin are both young and will improve.

And NOTHING is worth having to watch Royce Clayton for half a season. Truth be told, he is a shittier defender than Lopez. He looks good with few errors just because you can't get an error on a ball you can't reach for lack of range. And I despise Narron for starting Clayton all the time too, while Aurilia sat on the bench.

[quote name='Go Tory Go!' post='463938' date='Mar 28 2007, 07:11 PM']What is your opinion of Edwin then? I'd say they are similar fielders, though Lopez is a better offensive player, especially at his position. Though 3rd isn't as important as short, I still think it was a mistake to get rid of Lopez, since he and Edwin are both young and will improve.

And NOTHING is worth having to watch Royce Clayton for half a season. Truth be told, he is a shittier defender than Lopez. He looks good with few errors just because you can't get an error on a ball you can't reach for lack of range. [b]And I despise Narron for starting Clayton all the time too, while Aurilia sat on the bench.[/b][/quote]
As for last year, me too. Aurillia's bat was very good last year.
As for Milton, only a team like the Reds would put up with his overpriced garbage. The guy is pure, unadulterated garbage.

Guest BengalBacker
Alan Cutler [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/31.gif[/img] said Milton still has options and they could send him down to the minors. I'd do that before I would cut him since you have to pay him anyway.

Of course Cutler is retarded so I don't know if it's true or not.

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain
[quote name='Go Tory Go!' post='463938' date='Mar 28 2007, 09:11 PM']What is your opinion of Edwin then? I'd say they are similar fielders, though Lopez is a better offensive player, especially at his position. Though 3rd isn't as important as short, I still think it was a mistake to get rid of Lopez, since he and Edwin are both young and will improve.

And NOTHING is worth having to watch Royce Clayton for half a season. Truth be told, he is a shittier defender than Lopez. He looks good with few errors just because you can't get an error on a ball you can't reach for lack of range. And I despise Narron for starting Clayton all the time too, while Aurilia sat on the bench.[/quote]
Edwin > Lopez now, Edwin > Lopez offensively, Edwin > Lopez defensively, Edwin > Lopez salary, Edwin > Lopez age, Edwin > Lopez potential.

Lopez has had more time and not really shown any improvement at all. Edwin has had less time in the majors and has shown SIGNIFICANT improvement. Not to mention Lopez never took extra ground balls and Edwin takes extra groundballs EVERYDAY. Edwins glove is pretty good, his throws are erratic. Thats his problem. Lopez booted shit loads of balls AND had erratic throws. I forget the #'s, but in the first half of the season Edwin had a shitload of errors and in the second half of the season they were significantly lower. And id take Edwins bat over Lopez in a HEART beat. Edwin is clutch, Lopez is not. Edwin can hit 300, Lopez will not. Edwin can hit 30 and knock in 100, Lopez will not. Edwin wont strike out 110-120 times and Lopez will. Lopez is 26 years old and has been in the majors for 6 years totaling 2117 ABs. Edwin is 24 years old has been in the majors for 2 years totaling 617 ABs and he is already better than Lopez offensively and defensively. Also Edwin has 2 or 3 more seasons before he reaches arbitration and Lopez had already reached arbitration and is making like 4-5 mill a year. Lopez isnt worth anywhere nearthat.

Don't underestimate the value of Lopez's speed. The Reds were most effective in April last year with Lopez and Freel getting on, stealing or being sacrificed over, and getting in. Actually, this was the only time the Reds were effective last year.

And if you project Edwin's K totals from last year to a full season, you get 108, not exactly sparkling and in no way a justification of your claim that he never will K 110 times.

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain
[quote name='Go Tory Go!' post='464306' date='Mar 29 2007, 02:51 PM']Don't underestimate the value of Lopez's speed. The Reds were most effective in April last year with Lopez and Freel getting on, stealing or being sacrificed over, and getting in. Actually, this was the only time the Reds were effective last year.

[b]And if you project Edwin's K totals from last year to a full season, you get 108, not exactly sparkling and in no way a justification of your claim that he never will K 110 times.[/b][/quote]
he will get better and better.

Also, Phillips can replace Lopez on the base paths. The Reds just choose to bat him lower cuz he is solid with RISP.

Lopez isnt close to Edwin. Id take Edwin in a half a second over 2 lopez.

Archived