TV Problems

I think I need a new TV. My old one (3 years) is on the fritz. It is a 42 in Mitsubishi Widescreen and it is showing the picture with a pinkish red double vision. When the channel numbers are on the screen the normal green numbers are there with the image of a pinkish red one as well. Also, there is a red line going down the left side of the screen and it is sort of wavy. I paid $1200 for it and I am pissed as hell.

Anyway if I budget $1000 to $1500 for a TV what do I get. My specs are that the outer dimensions must be no bigger than 40.5 inches wide. So I think some 42" will fit my entertainment center. Maybe all 40" fit provided no side speakers are on the case.

Thanks for any suggestions....Also I am a Sam's member so I can buy there as well.

Too bad about the TV since it is only 3 years old. Since you're a Sam's Club member, get the 42" Vizio. All parts in the TV are made by LG and the speakers are on the bottom of the unit. I have had one for over a year and the picture and sound quality are very good (especially for HD).

[url="http://www.vizio.com/"]http://www.vizio.com/[/url]

[quote name='Scoutforlife591' post='472631' date='Apr 15 2007, 04:28 PM']Is it projection and your color lamps are out of alignment?

That's usually double vision of one color or another.[/quote]
How do I fix that...and how much does it cost? I have already went through the set menu and did a "convergence" reset.

[quote name='The_Joker' post='472655' date='Apr 15 2007, 05:30 PM']How do I fix that...and how much does it cost? I have already went through the set menu and did a "convergence" reset.[/quote]

Convergence will usually take care of it, but I've noticed on some TVs, it's still off even after that, and you have to manually do it to make it perfectally aligned.

The fact that you have convergence makes me think this could very well be what it is. See if there is a manual option that lets you align the colored crosses.

[quote name='Scoutforlife591' post='473312' date='Apr 16 2007, 10:41 PM']Convergence will usually take care of it, but I've noticed on some TVs, it's still off even after that, and you have to manually do it to make it perfectally aligned.

The fact that you have convergence makes me think this could very well be what it is. See if there is a manual option that lets you align the colored crosses.[/quote]
I have tried to align manually and no luck. I cannot get the red to align at all.

If you cant fix it, this is the TV I bought a few months ago. I love it. It is a 1080i 42" Plasma... No other 42" plasma that I have found has that high of a resolution, and it isnt terribly expensive... Buying a New HDTV is a big purchase for me, and I researched for months all the different TVs, and this was the last man standing...

[url="http://www.hitachi.us/tv/browse/plasma/plasma/42hds69.shtml"]The best TV for your money!!![/url]

[quote name='big_dish' post='473702' date='Apr 17 2007, 05:04 PM']If you cant fix it, this is the TV I bought a few months ago. I love it. It is a 1080i 42" Plasma... No other 42" plasma that I have found has that high of a resolution, and it isnt terribly expensive... Buying a New HDTV is a big purchase for me, and I researched for months all the different TVs, and this was the last man standing...
[url="http://www.hitachi.us/tv/browse/plasma/plasma/42hds69.shtml"]The best TV for your money!!![/url][/quote]
The down side to that TV for me is that the outer dimensions must be 40.5"W or less. Replacing the entertainment center is not an option...so I am somewhat limited. I have been looking at the Samsung 40" 1080P LCD. With the amount of natural light in the room everyone seems to think I need LCD. What do you think?

[quote name='The_Joker' post='473748' date='Apr 17 2007, 06:31 PM']The down side to that TV for me is that the outer dimensions must be 40.5"W or less. Replacing the entertainment center is not an option...so I am somewhat limited. I have been looking at the [b]Samsung 40" 1080P LCD[/b]. With the amount of natural light in the room everyone seems to think I need LCD. What do you think?[/quote]

Is that the one that is at HH Gregg? If so, I'm all for it. I've had my eye on that TV for a couple of months now. I'm trying to convince my fiencee that we need that TV now, before we finish refinishing our basement. My argument is, and I think it's a damn good one, that nothing would motivate me more to get the basement finished than knowing that when it's done, I get to hang that beautiful TV.

If your room has a lot of natural light, I would def. get the LCD because of the matte finish on the screen. It makes a world of difference.

[quote name='The_Joker' post='473748' date='Apr 17 2007, 06:31 PM']The down side to that TV for me is that the outer dimensions must be 40.5"W or less. Replacing the entertainment center is not an option...so I am somewhat limited. I have been looking at the Samsung 40" 1080P LCD. With the amount of natural light in the room everyone seems to think I need LCD. What do you think?[/quote]

Oh yeah. I just measured and mines at 44.5... My sister has that Samsung 40" LCD, its a nice TV. Yes, with a ton of light the LCD is the best way to go, as there is very little glare. Plasmas IMO have a better picture though, but you wont find a 1080 in that size. My advice would be to shop around, do research on the internet, and visit Amazon.com, Crutchfield, and a few other sites that allow user feedback, and see what other people who have bought the TV say about it now that they have it. I found a wealth of information from other customers. Amazon has alot of reviews for nearly every TV you can imagine. Also, HHGregg salespeople have the ability to take some extra money off the tag, so if you go in there ask them what the best possible price for a TV is... I have a friend who works there, and with my TV, Wall Mount, Surround System, 2 HDMI wires, and speaker wire, I saved about $700 total. They have authorization to take it down, if you ask they should go ahead and give you some kind of break on it.

[quote name='The_Joker' post='473689' date='Apr 17 2007, 04:44 PM']I have tried to align manually and no luck. I cannot get the red to align at all.[/quote]

I'm wondering if that motor is broken then, and it's just out of alignment. That would be a TV repairman.

What about making the blue and green go where the red is? It that fixes it, then we pretty much know its that broken motor.

[quote name='WD40' post='473760' date='Apr 17 2007, 06:46 PM']Is that the one that is at HH Gregg? If so, I'm all for it. I've had my eye on that TV for a couple of months now. I'm trying to convince my fiencee that we need that TV now, before we finish refinishing our basement. My argument is, and I think it's a damn good one, that nothing would motivate me more to get the basement finished than knowing that when it's done, I get to hang that beautiful TV.

If your room has a lot of natural light, I would def. get the LCD because of the matte finish on the screen. It makes a world of difference.[/quote]
Yes it is the one @ H.H. It has a great picture and should do well in the room I will put it in plus it will fit my cabniet.

[quote name='WhoDeyUK' post='474436' date='Apr 18 2007, 08:35 PM']Onecall.com is another good source if you have to replace the set, and choose to buy online, fwiw.[/quote]
Thanks I'll check them out.

[quote name='Scoutforlife591' post='474015' date='Apr 18 2007, 08:30 AM']I'm wondering if that motor is broken then, and it's just out of alignment. That would be a TV repairman.

What about making the blue and green go where the red is? It that fixes it, then we pretty much know its that broken motor.[/quote]
I need to get it to the shop but right now I have soooo many irons in the fire I can't find the time.

[quote name='The_Joker' post='474493' date='Apr 19 2007, 03:09 AM']I need to get it to the shop but right now I have soooo many irons in the fire I can't find the time.[/quote]
How large is the set? They might actually prefer to come to your home to look at it, or at least that's what we did (I used to work in the biz)

[quote name='WhoDeyUK' post='474812' date='Apr 19 2007, 03:38 PM']How large is the set? They might actually prefer to come to your home to look at it, or at least that's what we did (I used to work in the biz)[/quote]
I wonder what they charge for a home visit?

UPDATE:

I pulled the trigger last night on this...

[url="http://www.onecall.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=32965"]Link[/url]

[img]http://www.onecall.com/ImageCache/samsung_LNS4096D_300x250_s.jpg[/img]

I got it from Best Buy out of box special for the same price as the one at HH Gregg but I also got a $500 gift card for buying it. So I cashed that in for some components for my patio (outdoor speakers, Reciever, etc.) and they were all out of box deals with gift cards as well. So I think I made out ok...just as long as it last longer than 3 years or Rumble's kid stays the fuck away from it. ^_^

Archived