Ed Hartwell visiting Cincinnati...

Guest Tigris

Guest Tigris
[url="http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=5992"]http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=5992[/url]

I can't believe this hasn't been posted yet. He'd be a good addition. Could mean Odell isn't expected to do much this year, though.

Guest Bengals1181
[quote name='Soundwave' post='474248' date='Apr 18 2007, 04:36 PM']It's been posted.

I wouldn't consider signing Hartwell meaning not much is expected out of Odell. It would be insurance just in case.[/quote]

well even when Odell is back, it will take awhile for him to be back up to speed.

[color="#FF0000"][b]I would be very happy about a Hartwell signing. If we could get him for
a relatively low price, it would be fantastic. Yes he has some injury issues
the past couple of years, but he is still very young. And when he is healthy,
he is just as good, if not better, than any current LB on our roster.

The thing that makes this curious, is that to my knowledge, Hartwell's natural
position is on the inside. So 1 of 4 possible things could be happening if he is
signed.

#1. The Bengals have brought him in to compete with Brooks....which means they feel
that Brooks may not be ready to start yet.

#2. He will be brought in as Brook's primary backup.

#3. He will be brought in to play on the outside, which would impact Odell's status for 2007.

#4. The Bengals are considering a 3-4, with Brooks and Hartwell fixated in the middle.

And yeah I know they already said that they were not going to the 3-4.......... :boring: [/b][/color]

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='474263' date='Apr 18 2007, 04:50 PM']well even when Odell is back, it will take awhile for him to be back up to speed.[/quote]
I don't think it will be awhile for him to get back up to speed. It's not like he is bouncing back from an injury.

Guest Tigris
[quote name='Soundwave' post='474287' date='Apr 18 2007, 05:14 PM']I don't think it will be awhile for him to get back up to speed. It's not like he is bouncing back from an injury.[/quote]
I think Ricky Williams is a prime example of what a season totally off can do to you

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain
[quote name='Tigris' post='474288' date='Apr 18 2007, 05:17 PM']I think Ricky Williams is a prime example of what a season totally off can do to you[/quote]
ya but odell obviously didnt spend his time of smoking...considering he was being tested every week.

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain
[quote name='CatScratchFever' post='474299' date='Apr 18 2007, 05:39 PM']Odell ain't coming back. Get used to it.[/quote]
he will be back, easy.

[quote name='Soundwave' post='474287' date='Apr 18 2007, 05:14 PM']I don't think it will be awhile for him to get back up to speed. It's not like he is bouncing back from an injury.[/quote]

Guy hasn't done much football related stuff since 2005. He was mysteriously missing from alot of workouts last year.

Guest Bengals1181

no, but he's bouncing back from not doing anything football related for over a year and for all we know he hasn't been working out on his own during that time either.

I've heard reports of the Bengals working out or going to work out Ed Hartwell, Ian Scott, Michael Myers, and Tim Rattay. And thats just so far, who knows how many more we are going to work out. We dont exactly have much cap room at all. The only way we dont cut someone is signing someone to veterans minimum, which is unlikely in all but Rattay. So i think the Bengals are planning on cutting someone.

I think its going to be Bryan Robinson. We have two ends in Justin Smith and Robert Geathers who are making huge bucks with Frostee Rucker behind them. We also have Jeanty and Henderson probably as LB/rush ends too and maybe even a DE draft pick this year too. I dont see him fitting into our plans at all, and we could potentially save millions cutting him.

What do you all think?

Guest Master Shake
(from Phatcat's page)

John Thornton Cap Savings/ (Loss) If Cut $3,125,000

Bryan Robinson Cap Savings/ (Loss) If Cut $1,800,000

Justin Smith Base Salary $8,664,000

That's what's killing us

(sorry Go, and I know Chad and Willie aren't helping either)

[quote name='wat' post='474327' date='Apr 18 2007, 06:26 PM']I've heard reports of the Bengals working out or going to work out Ed Hartwell, Ian Scott, Michael Myers, and Tim Rattay. And thats just so far, who knows how many more we are going to work out. We dont exactly have much cap room at all. The only way we dont cut someone is signing someone to veterans minimum, which is unlikely in all but Rattay. So i think the Bengals are planning on cutting someone.

I think its going to be Bryan Robinson. We have two ends in Justin Smith and Robert Geathers who are making huge bucks with Frostee Rucker behind them. We also have Jeanty and Henderson probably as LB/rush ends too and maybe even a DE draft pick this year too. I dont see him fitting into our plans at all, and we could potentially save millions cutting him.

What do you all think?[/quote]

Brob is certainly the likely candidate, but a new DT would only spell lack of drafting one as we just cut one, we have just under 4 mil left on the cap, just over 5 if you could the "IR safety buffer" so frankly we could sign every one of those sloths and stay under the cap,

as phatcat mentioned a few times "cap room for draft picks" is meaningless, as they must replace someone on the roster who's salary would be deleted at that point. so i say we have around 3-3.5 mil to play with for free agents still, and if we deal smith, we have about 10 mil to play with.

[quote name='Master Shake' post='474330' date='Apr 18 2007, 06:33 PM'](from Phatcat's page)

John Thornton Cap Savings/ (Loss) If Cut $3,125,000

Bryan Robinson Cap Savings/ (Loss) If Cut $1,800,000

Justin Smith Base Salary $8,664,000

That's what's killing us

(sorry Go, and I know Chad's not helping either)[/quote]

at this point JT is worth all 312,500,000 pennies he gets paid. without him we have

Cripled Adams - oeko - brob..

hm... FUCK

i sure hope we get atleast 1 productive year from adams this year, or that was a horrible decision. gotta wonder if it was based on marvins personal preference in his own guy from bmore.?

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='474324' date='Apr 18 2007, 06:15 PM']no, but he's bouncing back from not doing anything football related for over a year and for all we know he hasn't been working out on his own during that time either.[/quote]
How would we all know that he isn't working out? Nobody is saying shit about Odell except that he can be reinstated in July.

Guest Master Shake
[quote name='GoBengals' post='474332' date='Apr 18 2007, 06:35 PM']at this point JT is worth all 312,500,000 pennies he gets paid. without him we have

Cripled Adams - oeko - brob..
hm... FUCK

i sure hope we get atleast 1 productive year from adams this year, or that was a horrible decision. gotta wonder if it was based on marvins personal preference in his own guy from bmore.?[/quote]

I agree... but we sign Scott and draft a DT and all of a sudden we have a surplus again.

Archived