Ed Hartwell visiting Cincinnati...

Guest Tigris

Guest BengalsOwn
[quote name='SoCal.BengalFan' post='474557' date='Apr 19 2007, 12:13 AM']WE dont need Hartwell .
can you imagine the production from Odell if he has a full offseason to learn the D . He had 5 picks and 5 FFs and would and should of been Rookie of the year if it was not for Merriman on Roids. Im still crossing my fingers on Thurman dude is a beast .[/quote]

Vilma was better too...

Thurman cannot be counted on.

And we NEED any potential upgrade possible on defense.

[quote name='A-Men-HouseofPain' post='474556' date='Apr 19 2007, 12:13 AM']28 at the moment.[/quote]

Right, but will be 29 when the season begins I beleive...

Guest mongoloido
[quote name='SoCal.BengalFan' post='474557' date='Apr 19 2007, 12:13 AM']WE dont need Hartwell .
can you imagine the production from Odell if he has a full offseason to learn the D . He had 5 picks and 5 FFs and would and should of been Rookie of the year if it was not for Merriman on Roids. Im still crossing my fingers on Thurman dude is a beast .[/quote]

I think you put a hole in your own statement there. If you're crossing your fingers on Thurman, even you aren't sure he'll be back. We may indeed need a guy like Hartwell. Besides, if he can be had for veteran's minimum, who wouldn't crave that kind of depth at linebacker (especially considering the lack of depth we had at the position last year)?

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain
Hartwell is better than any of our LBs RIGHT NOW if he is healthy (he would only be signed if he was). Potentially Brooks and Thurman are better, but Thurman isnt reliable and we dont know where Brooks is at yet. Would be a smart signing imo.

Guest Bengals1181
[quote name='A-Men-HouseofPain' post='474577' date='Apr 19 2007, 01:19 AM']Hartwell is better than any of our LBs RIGHT NOW if he is healthy (he would only be signed if he was). Potentially Brooks and Thurman are better, but Thurman isnt reliable and we dont know where Brooks is at yet. Would be a smart signing imo.[/quote]

I agree with it too. I also see it from a different perspective too. If they sign Hartwell, I think then that they are going to fully committ to Brooks at MLB (even though the coaches have stated that he's better suited for OLB). That would leave Hartwell and Nicholson to be his backups, and Odell would move to OLB when he comes back.

...I definitely don't see this as a sign as a move to a 34. It's interesting, but it won't lead to that. They have the secondary and LBs (if they signed Hartwell and he stayed healthy) to make the back 7 work. The defensive line would need a complete overhaul, most of them are not 34 players.

...What would the Bengals do with Justin Smith, Robert Geathers and Frostee Rucker? They would all have to be moved to rush OLBs. They are useless along a 34 Dline. Combine them the other LBs Jeanty and Henderson, thats 5. Don't forget about Pollack as well if he was able to return. Thats 6. You'd have your 4 ILBs Brooks/Nicholson and Hartwell/Fraizer with Landon/Caleb and possibly Odell. 13 damn LBs. Would be pretty sweet to pick and choose from that group, but they would have to deal with 2 position changes and getting rid of Justin, not to mention trying to teach them all a competely new defensive scheme in the process.

...Fanene might be the only really useful player they currently have for a 34, and he would still be an End. Adams is not a NT, what a bad idea. Sam is the anti-NT. Bryan and John are not strong enough to be DEs in a 34 and their both getting older anyways. Peko could possibly play at a DE spot, but I think ideally he would be a tad to short and not have that brute strength you really look for in a 34 DE. Peko is also not a NT. Their ALL to short really.

i'd almost bet this signing, if it did happen, would be strictly a one year deal. that seems to be all hartwell's agent is interested in. that also fits in well with our overall gameplan so it sounds like a good marriage. i wouldn't try to fit him into any longterm plans.

Dude, Brooks - Hartwell - Thurman would be a badass LB corps. But I don't really expect Odell to ever come back. Hartwell will be starting if signed, he's too good to sit behind Brooks. Which means one of Brooks or Hartwell is moving to OLB if he is signed. Wonder which.

Guest fredtoast

Right now our LB corp includes one proven starter (Johnson), two guys who play for one of the worst defenses in the league and still only start when someone else is out (Miller, Jeanty), and a bunch of question marks (Brooks has the physical skills but hasn't propven he has the drive or ability to handle the mental aspects of being an NFL starter. Henderson was undrafted and has never played LB. Nicholson had some injury issues early last year, but even when he was healthy he couldn't make the active roster. Fraizer is a solid special teams player but nothing more.)

[quote name='A-Men-HouseofPain' post='474577' date='Apr 18 2007, 10:19 PM']Hartwell is better than any of our LBs RIGHT NOW if he is healthy (he would only be signed if he was). Potentially Brooks and Thurman are better, but Thurman isnt reliable and we dont know where Brooks is at yet.[/quote]

The Bengals aren't going to sign guys based on what some fan on an internet message board knows or doesn't know about Brooks. Why does it matter if YOU or WE know where Brooks is at? I guarantee the coaches have a pretty good idea where he's at.

[quote name='JoePong' post='474830' date='Apr 19 2007, 04:23 PM']The Bengals aren't going to sign guys based on what some fan on an internet message board knows or doesn't know about Brooks. Why does it matter if YOU or WE know where Brooks is at? I guarantee the coaches have a pretty good idea where he's at.[/quote]

Well I can damn sure guarantee that Joe Pong is a know nothing motherfucker, from having to put up with his inane horseshit on many different message boards. For all that you spout your piehole Joe Pong, you never say shit.

Guest Tigris
[quote name='USNBENGAL the Original' post='474875' date='Apr 19 2007, 05:26 PM']Well I can damn sure guarantee that Joe Pong is a know nothing motherfucker, from having to put up with his inane horseshit on many different message boards. For all that you spout your piehole Joe Pong, you never say shit.[/quote]
I agree. Seems like all I read is him blasting something, someone, or a certain situation.

Guest Patmo
More competition at LB...Maybe Hartwell's not finished.A one year deal would indicate that Ed thinks he's still got it.I wanted him when he signed with Atlanta.

I think he would come in as a SAM linebacker. I like Jeanty, but he's the only SAM we have. Brooks will compete with Miller to start and Nicholson will provide depth there. Landon would be at WILL and we could draft competition for him if Odell is gone.

Hobson also mentions the OLB possibility.

[quote name='Rumble in the Jungle' post='474899' date='Apr 19 2007, 10:57 PM']why is it that were getting close to Odell getting reinstated, and now some are doubting that he'll ever play again ? does someone know something that we don't ?[/quote]
He'll potentially be eligible to play, sure, but no one knows how he's doing in terms of his alcoholism. And since he's one strike away from being a goner for good, we simply have to have depth behind him. We found out the hard way last year what can happen if we don't.

[quote name='bengaled' post='474720' date='Apr 19 2007, 12:48 PM']i'd almost bet this signing, if it did happen, would be strictly a one year deal. that seems to be all hartwell's agent is interested in. that also fits in well with our overall gameplan so it sounds like a good marriage. i wouldn't try to fit him into any longterm plans.[/quote]
I think his agent said they wanted a 1 year deal to prove that he could still play. Sounds like a great "band-aide" to wait for Thurman and Brooks to figure out what's going on... One year, probably not incredibly expensive if the player and agent are thinking like that. But he'll have one hell of a fire under his ass...

[quote name='USNBENGAL the Original' post='474875' date='Apr 19 2007, 05:26 PM']Well I can damn sure guarantee that Joe Pong is a know nothing motherfucker, from having to put up with his inane horseshit on many different message boards. For all that you spout your piehole Joe Pong, you never say shit.[/quote]

i damned near pee'd myself on that one. :headbang:

[quote name='BengalsOwn' post='474562' date='Apr 18 2007, 11:20 PM']Vilma was better too...

Thurman cannot be counted on.[/quote]

Vilma was a rookie the year before Thurman came into the league... and as I recall, Lofa Tatupu (Seattle LB) won Rookie of the Year when Odell was a rookie.

[quote name='MrOrange1219' post='474905' date='Apr 19 2007, 06:10 PM']I think his agent said they wanted a 1 year deal to prove that he could still play. Sounds like a great "band-aide" to wait for Thurman and Brooks to figure out what's going on... One year, probably not incredibly expensive if the player and agent are thinking like that. But he'll have one hell of a fire under his ass...[/quote]

I'll testify to that. I was in Atlanta the Sunday the Falcons had that OT game against Pissburgh. He was still on two rehabbing knees..and still managed to get into a lot of plays. I remember one play where he filled on an off-tackle by Willie slant superbly..and blew the motherfucker up. This was when the man wasn't right. What about an off-season of total healing? :thumbsup:

When he was a Rat...and 100%...he was a fucking wrecking ball. Even if he's only 80% for us...he will smash some heads.

And if only for one year...he'll be chewing Rat feathers and kicking Stealer arse. I'll pay for that!

[quote name='mongoloido' post='474570' date='Apr 19 2007, 12:49 AM']We may indeed need a guy like Hartwell. Besides, if he can be had for veteran's minimum, who wouldn't crave that kind of depth at linebacker (especially considering the lack of depth we had at the position last year)?[/quote]

I agree completely...Especially if you can get a guy like that to sign for $1M, instead of $4M.

It will be an insane dogfight if that happens...But the only guys I would be absolutely worried for is Frazier and Nicholson.

BZ

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain
[quote name='JoePong' post='474830' date='Apr 19 2007, 04:23 PM']The Bengals aren't going to sign guys based on what some fan on an internet message board knows or doesn't know about Brooks. Why does it matter if YOU or WE know where Brooks is at? I guarantee the coaches have a pretty good idea where he's at.[/quote]
what the hell are you talkign about? when did i say the coaches better sign hartwell? when did i say the coaches didnt know something?

can someone please ban this piece of shit.? he was horrible on the bengals board too.

stop being a cock n balls.

[quote name='USNBENGAL the Original' post='474875' date='Apr 19 2007, 02:26 PM']Well I can damn sure guarantee that Joe Pong is a know nothing motherfucker, from having to put up with his inane horseshit on many different message boards. For all that you spout your piehole Joe Pong, you never say shit.[/quote]

You are a worthless shred of human debris with barely a single digit IQ and an embarrassment to the human race you piece of shit.

Wow. Sinking to your level and getting involved in this name calling is really fun!

Grow up, get a life, and start trying to talk about football. Can we please ban this idiot?

[quote name='JoePong' post='475116' date='Apr 20 2007, 03:47 AM']You are a worthless shred of human debris with barely a single digit IQ and an embarrassment to the human race you piece of shit.

Wow. Sinking to your level and getting involved in this name calling is really fun!

Grow up, get a life, and start trying to talk about football. Can we please ban this idiot?[/quote]

:pointlaff:

Truth hurts, doesn't it?

There is no level for you to sink to, you are the poster child of bottom feeders.
I grew up, unlike you who thinks he knows everything and is continually proven wrong but never has learned from it.
I have a life, and it's pointing out pompous asses like you. Quit trying to suck your own dick.
I'm still waiting for you to talk football asshat, and you've been ruining message boards for at least 8 years that I know of. I don't want you banned... ever. It's nice having someone around that all the decent posters can point out to the newbies and say;

"Now THAT is what a fucking idiot looks like, don't do that"

Now how about nicely fucking off... mmmmkay?

:flip:

Archived