World taking on Big Tobacco

Guest BlackJesus

Guest BlackJesus
[color="blue"]Seems like the World is gearing up to take down Big Tobacco which I find to be a good thing.

This raises a few Questions though ?

1. Does your right to smoke end where my nose begins ?

2. Should Smokers have to pay into a fund that will cover their health insurance later so that all of the non smokers don't get stuck with their health bills when they are older ?

3. Should Cigarette prices reflect the actual cost to society ?... they would be about 10 $ a pack and 5 $ of each pack would go into a medical fund

4. Should Tobacco be made Illegal ?

5. Should smoking be banned in all public spaces and only allowed in ones personal home ?[/color]

To cover my bias I have never smoked

[u]World anti-smoking pact in force
Sunday, February 27, 2005
[/u]

GENEVA, Switzerland (Reuters) -- A global treaty aimed at dissuading children from smoking and helping adults kick the habit came into force on Sunday with the United Nations saying it could save millions of lives.

The World Health Organisation (WHO) applauded the strong warnings on cigarette packages and the eventual ban on tobacco advertising and sponsorship laid down in the the world's first international public health treaty.

"It's entry into force is a demonstration of governments' commitment to reduce death and illness from tobacco use," said WHO Director-General Lee Jong-wook in a statement to mark the event.

Tobacco, the second leading cause of preventable deaths globally after hypertension, kills 4.9 million people a year, the U.N. agency says.

And the annual death toll from tobacco-related diseases -- lung cancer, heart attacks and cardiovascular diseases -- could soar to 10 million by 2020, with 70 percent of the deaths in developing countries, it adds.

The treaty, known as the Framework Convention on Tobacco Control, gives members three years to slap strong health warnings on tobacco packages and five years to ban advertising, promotion and sponsorship.

It also recommends tax increases on tobacco products, a crackdown on smuggling, and reducing exposure to second-hand smoke.

Approved by the WHO's 192 member states in May 2003, the pact became law on Sunday, 90 days after the 40th state had ratified it.

It will only carry legal weight in those countries which have ratified it, now numbering 57. In total, 167 countries have signed the pact -- but have not necessarily sent it to parliament for ratification.

WHO officials and activists say the powerful tobacco industry is lobbying intensively to restrict the number of countries applying the treaty, including the United States which has signed up but not yet sent it to the Senate.

"The tobacco industry wants to be free to sell and market their deadly products in such a way that they have more and more profits. This is the only language the tobacco industry knows," Vera Luiza da Costa e Silva, director of the WHO's Tobacco Free Initiative, told journalists.

"In Brazil, my country, the tobacco industry is furiously lobbying the Congress and the Senate in order not to get the treaty ratified. They are using the tobacco farmers to make the case, saying that they will lose their jobs."

Activists accuse the Bush administration, which signed the pact last May, of having worked hard to dilute it.

"U.S. ratification of the treaty would send a strong message to the rest of the world that we will not support these efforts and instead put protection of public health ahead of tobacco industry interests," the U.S.-based Tobacco Free Kids lobby group said.

Douglas Bettcher, treaty coordinator, was upbeat. "We are happy to report that industry is not winning this game."

Some of the largest tobacco growers -- India, Japan, Pakistan, Thailand and Turkey -- as well as cigarette producing countries such as Britain, Germany, the Netherlands and Turkey are among those which ratified have the treaty, he said.

Guest BlackJesus
[quote]1. Does your right to smoke end where my nose begins ?

2. Should Smokers have to pay into a fund that will cover their health insurance later so that all of the non smokers don't get stuck with their health bills when they are older ?

3. Should Cigarette prices reflect the actual cost to society ?... they would be about 10 $ a pack and 5 $ of each pack would go into a medical fund

5. Should smoking be banned in all public spaces and only allowed in ones personal home ?[/quote]

1. Yes I believe so.... people are not allowed to rub asbestos in each others faces, and we can't legally spray poison into someones throat... same case here

2.& 3. I do believe that smoking prices should reflect the actual cost to everyone else as well.... I would make Cigarettes about $ 15 a pack and then place 5 $ of each pack into a fund to cover medical expenses, and 5 $ of every pack into a fund for research of ways to curb addistion and anti-smoking infromation. An alternative to this would be denying medical treatment to smokers when they are on their death bed unless they can pay, but since people wouldn't go for that I think the fee is necessary.

4. No As much as I hate smoking, outlawing it would do nothing

5. Yes... in reference to # 1.... If you want to smoke you should have to do it on private property which you own... walking down the street isn't sufficent... I can't walk down the street spraying arsenic into the crowd as they walk by

I think smoking should be banned in places where food and drink is served. me and the wife had to sit at the bar waiting for a table and this woman was smoking next to us and the smoke kept coming right over to us and in our faces,she would just hold the cigarette and let it burn allowing the smoke to drift over. :angry2:

ohhhhhhh geez....

[quote]1. Does your right to smoke end where my nose begins ?

5. Should smoking be banned in all public spaces and only allowed in ones personal home ?[/quote]

1. no

2. nope

3. nadda

4. yes......

oh wait, [b]IL[/b]legal? then no

5. nay

thetruth.com = [url="http://www.blackinches.com"] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/30.gif[/img] [/url]

One of the parents on my sons basketball team is a tobacco farmer and he told me he can only grow half as much this upcoming season and by 2007 he won't be allowed to grow any, he said the tobacco co's are going to start buying from foreign markets until the gov outright bans it.

He believes within 10 years tobacco will be outlawed completely

Anyone else hear of this?

Simply put.... GREAT. I have watched two of my family members die....struggling for their last breaths from lung cancer after smokling all their lives. I am a firefighter/emt and I go on countless calls of people who smoke, who have lung cancer and it pains me to see them struggle for a single breath and knowing the end is near. I guess all smokers should believe their death will be from a slow suffocation. I wonder how many smokers would quit if they got to see this on a daily basis.

Guest BengalBacker

I don't think you should be allowed to drive a car. It pollutes the air I breathe. You should never be allowed to fly somewhere for a vacation. Same reason. You shouldn't be allowed to buy any product that creates any pollution in its manufacturing, or distributing process, therefore semis should be outlawed. Fast food, or any food that isn't 100% nutritious should be banned. The health costs, and the adverse effects to production are too big of a burden on society.

Even though smokers and obese people tend to die younger and rarely drain things like medicare and social security at the rate of "healthy" people. Because non smokers and people who eat right eventually die too, and it's usually following extended hospital stays and enormous costs to the taxpayer. Never mind that though. We need to ban all the behavior we don't like. We'll make up reasons if we have to.

Perfumes and colognes should be banned because many people are sensitive to them. What about alcohol? I shouldn't have to worry about a drunk driver on the road (while I'm walking barefoot and naked because cars pollute and bicycles have to be manufactured and shipped, so do clothes and shoes). We have to ban all forms of alcohol. Prescription drugs. Any of them that can get you high, find their way onto the black market and are abused. Their cost is enormous, and all they do is delay inevitable death. Plus the pollution involved in manufacturing and distributing them. That's even true of the ones that don't get you high. Ban them all.

We should all live in grass huts and grow our own food (no fertilizers), drink nothing but water, walk everywhere, and run around naked. Sounds like the way native Americans lived, except even they were allowed to smoke.

Careful of what slippery slope you want to lead people down.

:angry: :angry: :angry:

Guest steggyD

I agree with BengalBacker, even though my uncle died in early fifties very recently of lung cancer. I used to smoke, but quit, now I feel healthier. I want my sister to quit because her son has asthma. But, the government has no right to make it illegal. I would hate it if alcohol were illegal and it causes health problems. I just don't think we have the right to tell someone else not to smoke. It's their own damn fault if they get cancer and suffer. But like BB said, they won't use up any social security and they also won't be that old driver doing 25 mph in a 45 mph lane. :D

Oh, by the way, BB, you can have fertilizers in your world you describe. It's called recycling food scraps and compost toilets...

Guest BengalBacker
[quote name='steggyD' date='Feb 27 2005, 02:32 PM']Oh, by the way, BB, you can have fertilizers in your world you describe. It's called recycling food scraps and compost toilets...
[right][post="52441"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Ok, I guess we'll allow organic fertilizers, but even they can be a hazard if they runoff into the drinking water.

Guest steggyD
[quote name='BengalBacker' date='Feb 27 2005, 03:41 PM']Ok, I guess we'll allow organic fertilizers, but even they can be a hazard if they runoff into the drinking water.
[right][post="52444"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
OK, then the rule will be if you're at least 1/2 mile from any water source?

But should I have the right to go out in public and not have anyone smoke around me? Should I have to be subject to your carcinogenic smoke because you can't go five minutes after eating without lighting up? Should I have to pay for your addiction? There are neccesary evils in the world we live in, so be rational about it. Smoking is a choice, usually made when you are too young to really know better.

Guest BengalBacker
[quote name='Tigers Johnson' date='Feb 27 2005, 02:48 PM']But should I have the right to go out in public and not have anyone smoke around me? Should I have to be subject to your carcinogenic smoke because you can't go five minutes after eating without lighting up? Should I have to pay for your addiction? There are neccesary evils in the world we live in, so be rational about it. Smoking is a choice, usually made when you are too young to really know better.
[right][post="52448"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Should I have the right to go out in public and not have to breathe exhaust fumes?

Should businesses have the right to make their own rules concerning smoking?

You don't have to pay for my addiction any more than I have to pay for yours.

There are also unnecessary evils in the world. Smoking may be one of them, but it's only one thing in a long list.

I am being rational. It's irrational to suggest that the only place people should be allowed to smoke is on their own private property. If a restaurant or bar, or whatever, has a no smoking policy, I won't smoke and I won't bitch. If a restaurant or bar, or whatever allows smoking, I'm going to smoke. Don't bitch.

Guest steggyD
Well, I don't know about your area, but up here in NY, there's not really any smoking in restaurants and bars anymore. So, should smoking be made illegal as in question 4? No. But to 5, I guess yes. But not so much their own home. I think they should be allowed to smoke outside also. You all must realize that you are being fed propaganda as well as the tobacco company feeds you propaganda. There are studies that also show that second hand smoke is not as dangerous as once stated. Here's one [url="http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2002/7/26/121629/037"]link[/url] that states other views on second hand smoke.

Guest BengalBacker
[quote name='steggyD' date='Feb 27 2005, 03:03 PM']Well, I don't know about your area, but up here in NY, there's not really any smoking in restaurants and bars anymore. So, should smoking be made illegal as in question 4? No. But to 5, I guess yes. But not so much their own home. I think they should be allowed to smoke outside also. You all must realize that you are being fed propaganda as well as the tobacco company feeds you propaganda. There are studies that also show that second hand smoke is not as dangerous as once stated. Here's one [url="http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2002/7/26/121629/037"]link[/url] that states other views on second hand smoke.
[right][post="52454"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Great link. My BULLSHIT link talks about the same things.

[quote name='BengalBacker' date='Feb 27 2005, 02:17 PM']I don't think you should be allowed to drive a car. It pollutes the air I breathe. You should never be allowed to fly somewhere for a vacation. Same reason. You shouldn't be allowed to buy any product that creates any pollution in its manufacturing, or distributing process, therefore semis should be outlawed. Fast food, or any food that isn't 100% nutritious should be banned. The health costs, and the adverse effects to production are too big of a burden on society.

Even though smokers and obese people tend to die younger and rarely drain things like medicare and social security at the rate of "healthy" people. Because non smokers and people who eat right eventually die too, and it's usually following extended hospital stays and enormous costs to the taxpayer. Never mind that though. We need to ban all the behavior we don't like. We'll make up reasons if we have to.

Perfumes and colognes should be banned because many people are sensitive to them. What about alcohol? I shouldn't have to worry about a drunk driver on the road (while I'm walking barefoot and naked because cars pollute and bicycles have to be manufactured and shipped, so do clothes and shoes). We have to ban all forms of alcohol. Prescription drugs. Any of them that can get you high, find their way onto the black market and are abused. Their cost is enormous, and all they do is delay inevitable death. Plus the pollution involved in manufacturing and distributing them. That's even true of the ones that don't get you high. Ban them all.

We should all live in grass huts and grow our own food (no fertilizers), drink nothing but water, walk everywhere, and run around naked. Sounds like the way native Americans lived, except even they were allowed to smoke.

:angry:   :angry:   :angry:
[right][post="52435"][/post][/right][/quote]

what a crock of shit, thats the biggest load of total bullshit i have ever heard, there are laws and regulations about car polution, airplane polution, and thier are strict guidelines all auto's must obide by to be allowed to drive, and last time i checked, no one was reving up thier engine in Denny's, people arent dying from auto exhaust, thats the largest horshit laod of republican minded garbage i have ever known to exist, you sir, should be ashamed.

:angry2: :angry2: <_<

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' date='Feb 27 2005, 02:48 PM']But should I have the right to go out in public and not have anyone smoke around me? Should I have to be subject to your carcinogenic smoke because you can't go five minutes after eating without lighting up? Should I have to pay for your addiction? There are neccesary evils in the world we live in, so be rational about it. Smoking is a choice, usually made when you are too young to really know better.
[right][post="52448"][/post][/right][/quote]

testify, i have to put up with that shitbag creechnasty's filthy habit, but he is about the only one..... 90% of the world wouldnt be able to function without cars, trucks, airplanes, the economy would crumble instantly.

[quote name='BengalBacker' date='Feb 27 2005, 02:59 PM']Should I have the right to go out in public and not have to breathe exhaust fumes?

Should businesses have the right to make their own rules concerning smoking?

You don't have to pay for my addiction any more than I have to pay for yours.

There are also unnecessary evils in the world. Smoking may be one of them, but it's only one thing in a long list.

I am being rational. It's irrational to suggest that the only place people should be allowed to smoke is on their own private property. If a restaurant or bar, or whatever, has a no smoking policy, I won't smoke and I won't bitch. If a restaurant or bar, or whatever allows smoking, I'm going to smoke. Don't bitch.
[right][post="52452"][/post][/right][/quote]

give me a motherfucking break. -_-

[quote name='steggyD' date='Feb 27 2005, 03:03 PM']Well, I don't know about your area, but up here in NY, there's not really any smoking in restaurants and bars anymore. So, should smoking be made illegal as in question 4? No. But to 5, I guess yes. But not so much their own home. I think they should be allowed to smoke outside also. You all must realize that you are being fed propaganda as well as the tobacco company feeds you propaganda. There are studies that also show that second hand smoke is not as dangerous as once stated. Here's one [url="http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2002/7/26/121629/037"]link[/url] that states other views on second hand smoke.
[right][post="52454"][/post][/right][/quote]

my ideal solution is the insane tax on it, make then $10-15/pack, the health fund is genius, but set it up strictly for the smokers, we dont ahve to suffer from thier garbage, we dont deserve any of those funds, then, many people couldnt aford them, and it would cut down about 25%, and probably 50% in young people, .. hell you get $10-20 from mommy to hit the mall when your 15, you could get a CD smokes and eat, .. if they are $15, you can get some smokes, and more than half are going to opt for food and entertainment then "looking super cool with some cigs"

smoking didnt bother me at all until i got asthma, and regular ciggarettes are the only thing that bother me, cloves smell great, and dont seem to bother my asthma, i smoked when i was a teenager, cant figure it out now.

wastes money
makes you stink like shit
turns teeth and fingers yellow
could cuase health problems

there are many oither things that are bad for you, fast food, exhaust, whatever...

but smoking isnt anywhere near the same thing, me eating a fat cheeseburger and getting fat ass and dying from it is fine, i didnt kill anyone or stink or force any fries into someone stomach while doing it,

playing the my smoking is fine but that car exhaust i cant stand, is nonsense.. utter nonsense

and creechnasty is gay.

Guest oldschooler

[quote name='BengalBacker' date='Feb 27 2005, 01:17 PM']I don't think you should be allowed to drive a car. It pollutes the air I breathe. You should never be allowed to fly somewhere for a vacation. Same reason. You shouldn't be allowed to buy any product that creates any pollution in its manufacturing, or distributing process, therefore semis should be outlawed. Fast food, or any food that isn't 100% nutritious should be banned. The health costs, and the adverse effects to production are too big of a burden on society.

:angry:   :angry:   :angry:
[right][post="52435"][/post][/right][/quote]

[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//41.gif[/img]

About 2nd hand smoke. I can`t think of a place where
you can get 2nd hand smoke anymore ?
Most resturants have smoking and none smoking sections now.
If you go to a bar to drink alcohol then I think you should be more worried
about Cirrhosis of the liver than 2nd hand smoke. And to be outside...
where there is more fresh air that is filled with pollutants... than any 2nd hand
smoke and bitch about 2nd hand smoke instead of something like how
pathetic your miserble life is ... is asinine. :D

[quote name='oldschooler' date='Feb 27 2005, 03:28 PM'] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//41.gif[/img]
About 2nd hand smoke. I can`t think of a place where
you can get 2nd hand smoke anymore ?
Most resturants have smoking and none smoking sections now.
If you go to a bar to drink alcohol then I think you should be more worried
about Cirrhosis of the liver than 2nd hand smoke. And to be outside...
where there is more fresh air that is filled with pollutants... than any 2nd hand
smoke and bitch about 2nd hand smoke instead of something like how
pathetic your miserble life is ... is asinine. :D
[right][post="52463"][/post][/right][/quote]

hmmm the guy from franklin/tennessee is all for smoking...

THATS WIERD.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//33.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//30.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//30.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//30.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//27.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//27.gif[/img]

Guest steggyD
Not to bring up an abortion debate, which is not what I want to do here, but I wonder what the numbers would be like for people who are pro-choice, yet anti-tobacco. That would just sound a little bit too backwards to me. You can choose what to do with your own body unless it involves cigarettes.

Anyways, what is a bigger drain? Someone having cancer or someone living a longer life and getting a bad cold every year? Then there's diabetes that is usually developed when there is bad food and lack of exercise involved. Then there's the person down the street from me that uses a wood burning stove to heat his house still. I can't stand the smell of that. Heck, I live somewhat near a poop plant and on very hot days when the wind is blowing I can smell the poop. I can think of a long list of things to be made illegal because I feel that they are a drain on society or because they bother my breathing patterns.

Guest oldschooler

[quote name='GoBengals' date='Feb 27 2005, 02:32 PM']hmmm the guy from franklin/tennessee is all for smoking...

THATS WIERD.

:rolleyes:   :rolleyes:   [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//33.gif[/img]   [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//30.gif[/img]   [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//30.gif[/img]   [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//30.gif[/img]   [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//27.gif[/img]   [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//27.gif[/img]
[right][post="52466"][/post][/right][/quote]

Yeah I`m a smoker. But what I`m REALLY for
is Freedom.

Owners of bars and resturants should have the freedom
to say whether or not people can smoke in a place they
pay sales and property taxes for.
And I shouldn`t have my freedoms infringed upon because some1
else wants to bitch about health concerns. If you are so concerned
then don`t go to a place that is "free to allow" smoking. Don`t stand
by me while I am smoking. Don`t ride in my car or sit in my house and
everything is cool. B)

If I go to some1`s house that doesn`t smoke. I respect that... and
I wouldn`t smoke in their house or car ...ulness they offered for me too.
But every place else should be fair game.

Just went to a texas holdem game at a guys house last Sunday night and the owner of the house made all the smokers go outside during mini breaks in the game, the smokers were none too happy about it but I have to say that I didn't realize how much better the game was, my eyes didn't start burning and I didn't smell like an ashtray when I went home

I never complained when there are smokers around, I think because I grew up around it and took it as second nature, but in hindsight it is pretty rude to smoke around people who dont smoke unless you're in your own private residence

Guest BengalBacker

[quote name='GoBengals' date='Feb 27 2005, 03:27 PM']what a crock of shit, thats the biggest load of total bullshit i have ever heard, there are laws and regulations about car polution, airplane polution, and thier are strict guidelines all auto's must obide by to be allowed to drive, and last time  i checked, no one was reving up thier engine in Denny's, people arent dying from auto exhaust, thats the largest horshit laod of republican minded garbage i have ever known to exist, you sir, should be ashamed.

:angry2:   :angry2:   <_<
testify, i have to put up with that shitbag creechnasty's filthy habit, but he is about the only one.....  90% of the world wouldnt be able to function without cars, trucks, airplanes, the economy would crumble instantly.
give me a motherfucking break.  -_-
my ideal solution is the insane tax on it, make then $10-15/pack, the health fund is genius, but set it up strictly for the smokers, we dont have to suffer from thier garbage, we dont deserve any of those funds, then, many people couldnt aford them, and it would cut down about 25%, and probably 50% in young people, .. hell you get $10-20 from mommy to hit the mall when your 15, you could get a CD smokes and eat, .. if they are $15, you can get some smokes, and more than half are going to opt for food and entertainment then "looking super cool with some cigs"

smoking didnt bother me at all until i got asthma, and regular ciggarettes are the only thing that bother me, cloves smell great, and dont seem to bother my asthma, i smoked when i was a teenager, cant figure it out now.
wastes money
makes you stink like shit
turns teeth and fingers yellow
could cuase health problems

there are many oither things that are bad for you, fast food, exhaust, whatever...

but smoking isnt anywhere near the same thing, me eating a fat cheeseburger and getting fat ass and dying from it is fine, i didnt kill anyone or stink or force any fries into someone stomach while doing it,

playing the my smoking is fine but that car exhaust i cant stand, is nonsense.. utter nonsense
and creechnasty is gay.
[right][post="52461"][/post][/right][/quote]

Yeah right. The only form of pollution that's a problem is smoking. What have you been smoking? :crazy:

How many of us only drive when absolutely necessary? How many never go on a vacation and pollute the air purely for pleasure? How many of us get a job close enough to home that we walk to work to avoid unnecessary pollution? How many of us own hybrid cars so we don't pollute any more than we have to? How many of us have installed solar heat in our homes so we don't pollute and waste resources? Maybe we should add a $10 a gallon tax to gas so people will cut down on their use, and ride bicycles everywhere. How many of us drive up the costs of health insurance because we don't eat right and get enough exercise? Peta would argue with you about your eating a fat cheeseburger not harming anything but yourself. So would anyone who looks into reasons for the high costs of medical insurance. If you eat garlic, don't breathe anywhere near me. I shouldn't have to be subjected to the stink. Same with anything that might give you gas. Farting should be banned. Bad diet makes you fat and gross to look at, just like the yellow fingers, yellow teeth thing, plus health problems just like smoking.

Of course my examples are ridiculous in that you can't force people to do these things. They have just as much validity as the push to ban smoking though. I'm not saying I should have the right to blow smoke in your face anywhere I choose, but these bans are going way too far, and the people saying I shouldn't be allowed to smoke while I walk down the street are simply trying to ban behavior they don't like for bogus reasons.

THIS IS AMERICA DAMN IT !!!!!!

I work at a dealership.I have this fellow that is in his 70's. He is packing a oxygen tank around,was a burn victim from the war,WWII from what I gather,and still smokes. Is it that attictive you have to still do it with a tank on your hip?. My dad quit after 33yrs,my sis finally quit. Both can't stand the smell of it now. My brother coughs non stop at times. I'm glad I didn't take it up.
One more thing. I noticed in the last few threads that some are starting to bicker
and I feel it is from lack of Bengaldom. I feel the same way right now. Tired of winter,grey skies,no football. It sucks right now but we have the draft,training camp,and pre season. Ok now back to bickering. ;)

Archived