World taking on Big Tobacco

Guest BlackJesus

But you don't have to inhale my fat ass. I never said you should'nt be allowed to smoke. Just not in places i should be able to go freely and not inhale it. Why should I have to get the after effrects of your pleasure? It is seeming to me that just because you smoke and people don't like it that all the world should come to an end. You have made a simple arguement about how smoking is bad for you and the people around you into an arguement about air pollution. Smoking is a personal preference which should only have personal effects. You would survive in society today without smoking. No one will survive in todays society banning all the ridiculous stuff you bring up.

Guest BlackJesus
[img]http://www.jesuspresley.com/smoking%20jesus.gif[/img]

I have seen several times as well where a woman will be holding a baby and smoking....

How is this not child neglect... ? or people who smoke around young children

[img]http://ww1.eveningtimes.co.uk/upload/251103nsmoking.jpg[/img]

BengalBacker is my new hero...

[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//41.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//41.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//41.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//41.gif[/img]

Why don't people just leave it up to businesses? If a place wants to allow smoking and you don't like it... DON'T go there, there are plenty of places that have no-smoking sections or no smoking altogether. And I believe there is a special place in Hell for those that want to ban smoking in bars. :1441: :1018:

Plus.. the people that want to ban smoking everywhere but peoples homes AND charge 10-15 dollars a pack, pick one ya fucks.... If you want to charge me 15 bucks on some cigarettes... I'M SMOKING EVERYWHERE... if you wanna make me smoke only in my own house... $1 a pack... you can't have it both ways...

Guest BengalBacker

Eveyone should be considerate of everyone around them.

I'm always conscious of who's around me when I smoke and I don't smoke around people that it bothers. I never smoke in anyone's house, or car.

If I'm in an establishment that allows smoking though, I should be free to smoke. If smoking in a bar is bad, I see a huge business opportunity for you nonsmokers. Open smoke free bars and advertise them as such. People should flock to them. Then all the whiney ass nonsmokers will have a place to meet and they can find something else to complain about, and talk bad about all us cool kids smoking at the bar down the street. :D :P

Guest BengalLady

[quote name='BengalBacker' date='Feb 27 2005, 07:14 PM']Eveyone should be considerate of everyone around them.

I'm always conscious of who's around me when I smoke and I don't smoke around people that it bothers. I never smoke in anyone's house, or car.

If I'm in an establishment that allows smoking though, I should be free to smoke. If smoking in a bar is bad, I see a huge business opportunity for you nonsmokers. Open smoke free bars and advertise them as such. People should flock to them. Then all the whiney ass nonsmokers will have a place to meet and they can find something else to complain about, and talk bad about all us cool kids smoking at the bar down the street.  :D   :P
[right][post="52574"][/post][/right][/quote]

Cool kids :lol:

Guest BengalLady
[quote name='BlackJesus' date='Feb 27 2005, 05:58 PM'][img]http://www.jesuspresley.com/smoking%20jesus.gif[/img]
I have seen several times as well where a woman will be holding a baby and smoking....

How is this not child neglect... ? or people who smoke around young children

[img]http://ww1.eveningtimes.co.uk/upload/251103nsmoking.jpg[/img]
[right][post="52537"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

I believe that also. I never smoked when i was pregnant and I don't smoke around my children. I go out side and have done it for years. I have seen women breastfeeding and smoking at the same time. It is discusting site.

I am also very considerate who is around me when I am smoking.

As a country we should embrace smokers, they ultimately take a huge burden off of social security and the taxes the govt collects off of the sale of tobacco is mindboggling and it gives something for the farmers to grow.

what makes no sense is forbidding US farmers the ability to grow it while it is still legal!

Guest BlackJesus
[color="blue"]This is a good Idea I think ......[/color]

[u]Smoking Pictures Tell a Thousand Words[/u]

The European Commission has announced that graphic images highlighting the health risks of of smoking will be added to cigarette packages. This stems from changes to the 2001 Tobacco Products Directive secured by MEP Chris Davies, the Leader of the British Liberal Democrat MEPs.

[img]http://www.sarahludfordmep.org.uk/images/sites/217.160.173.25-4023a9db47a271.76270781/72.jpeg[/img][img]http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2004/HEALTH/10/22/eu.smoking/long.smsurgery.jpg[/img]

He won cross-party support in the European Parliament for amendments he tabled to the legislation, eventually persuading EU ministers and the European Commission to accept the idea.

The idea came from Canada, where since 2000 cigarette packets have carried pictures to highlight the health risks of smoking. Research shows that the use of illustrations significantly increases the impact of written messages, with 44% of Canadian smokers claiming that they have increased their motivation to stop smoking.

Sarah Ludford, Liberal Democrat MEP for London, said: "Some people will no doubt find these pictures too brutal, but I believe the European Parliament is right to be upfront about health matters, and I urge the UK government to follow our lead. As an ex-smoker I sympathise with how difficult it is to give up, but the more we make people aware of the severe health dangers of smoking, the more we can stiffen their willpower to quit, so 'shock-therapy' is justified."

Mr Davies commented:

"A picture tells a thousand words, and the aim is not simply to give information to smokers but to persuade them to change their habits. "These images will evoke fear and disgust, but the evidence from Canada suggests that they will also make a difference. Their success can be judged on whether they counter the peer pressure that leads to young people taking their first smoke, often before they are 16 years old.

"We have to break the impression amongst too many teenagers that smoking is cool and sexy. I can think of few things likely to be more effective than illustrating the proven risk that tobacco use leads to reduced male sexual potency!"

Chris Davies continued: "I want governments across Europe to add these pictures to their anti-smoking armoury and require cigarette manufacturers to make use of them at the first opportunity.

"Adults should be free to smoke in private, but Government health policy should aim to make sure that people are well informed about possible dangers from all drugs, and tobacco is the biggest killer of all.

"I want Health Secretary John Reid to add these pictures to his anti-smoking armoury and require their use at the first opportunity."

A study carried out for the Canadian Cancer Society one year after the introduction of pictures on cigarette packs found that:

43 per cent of smokers were more concerned about the health effects of smoking because of the new warnings.

44 per cent of smokers said the new warnings increased their motivation to quit smoking, and of those who attempted to quit 38 per cent said the warnings were a factor in motivating them in their quit attempt.

On one or more occasions, 21 per cent of smokers had been tempted to have a cigarette but decided not to because of the new warnings.

[img]http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40445000/jpg/_40445455_gal_1.jpg[/img][img]http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40445000/jpg/_40445461_gal_4.jpg[/img][img]http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40445000/jpg/_40445457_gal_2.jpg[/img]

ok thats just grose,

anyways i don't smoke but i got some friends that do, they were showin me that marlboro (i think) is giving out patches with their packs

why would they do this? just to let people stick on the patch and still smoke so they get twice the nicotine?
i'm guessin there just trying to look good

Guest BlackJesus
[b]I agree Bengal Backer... that is why I have also sworn off fast food..... Places lard asses on Cheeto bags and throat cancer pics on cigarette packs....

might as well let the people know what they are getting into

The only difference with Cheeseburgers is once you eat one you are not addicted to cheeses burgers and start eating 2 cheeseburgers everyday for 50 years or you get the shakes, get crabby, and still eat cheeseburgers even though you know you are about to die..... Now I am sure some lardfucks do this.... but not 20 million americans like smokers [/b]

Guest BengalBacker
[quote name='BlackJesus' date='Feb 28 2005, 03:43 PM'][b]I agree Bengal Backer... that is why I have also sworn off fast food..... Places lard asses on Cheeto bags and throat cancer pics on cigarette packs....

might as well let the people know what they are getting into
The only difference with Cheeseburgers is once you eat one you are not addicted to cheeses burgers and start eating 2 cheeseburgers everyday for 50 years or you get the shakes, get crabby, and still eat cheeseburgers even though you know you are about to die..... Now I am sure some lardfucks do this.... but not 20 million americans like smokers [/b]
[right][post="52982"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Nobody's saying smoking is good. Just don't get comfortable banning things that irritate you. That's not a good road to start down.

[quote]Nobody's saying smoking is good. Just don't get comfortable banning things that irritate you. That's not a good road to start down.[/quote]

i say copy that. Lets just go ahead and ban everything. And hey to all you illegal pot smokers lets go one step further on you n say that if you do it one more time the pot police will kill you, and hey to all of you who drive a lil fast tomorrow you will get in a wreck and die ok. something kills everybody, dont try to kill off something that some people actually need, yeah we never should have started but you know what its done, dont drink a beer ever again ok, or eat the fast food. A lot of us can respect nonsmokers complaints but to want to tax the hell out of us or ban us period is just ridickulous. Ill smoke in my house for nothing if youll lower the price so you dont get the tax money from it. deal?

nuff said

Guest CrazyIrishman5

So you smokers can take a way my freedom to go to a Restaurant or bar and not Breathe your tar ridden smoke, because you are too lazy to go out side and smoke! :sterb041: I think people should have the right to smoke but not in Public Buildings.

Guest oldschooler

[quote name='CrazyIrishman5' date='Mar 1 2005, 06:50 AM']So you smokers can take a way my freedom to go to a Restaurant or bar and not Breathe your tar ridden smoke, because you are too lazy to go out side and smoke! :sterb041:   I think people should have the right to smoke but not in Public Buildings.
[right][post="53406"][/post][/right][/quote]

Ummmmmm
They have this new invention.........
It`called a no smoking section !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You should try it .....I hear it is all the rage.

Guest CrazyIrishman5
[quote name='oldschooler' date='Mar 1 2005, 09:45 AM']Ummmmmm
They have this new invention.........
It`called a no smoking section !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You should try it .....I hear it is all the rage.
[right][post="53448"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

You show me the magic wall that stops the smoke from coming over to the non smoking section! In most Restaurant there is nothing to separate smoking from non smoking except a sign!!!!!!! [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/47.gif[/img]

Its almost comical the pain I see some smokers will go through just to get that smoke in. Standing outside of a factory I used to work at in the freezing, bitter cold snow, and shaking uncontrolably. So much so that they can barely get the cig up to their face without sticking it in their nose. You almost feel sorry for them it's so pathetic.

Guest oldschooler

[quote name='CrazyIrishman5' date='Mar 1 2005, 07:56 AM']You show me the magic wall that stops the smoke from coming over to the non smoking section! In most Restaurant there is nothing to separate smoking from non smoking except a sign!!!!!!! [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//47.gif[/img]
[right][post="53458"][/post][/right][/quote]

They also have these new invetions called Ventilation Systems.
They clear out smoke, odors and other things in the air.

Ayway last time I checked this was America. <_<
Your rights don`t (and shouldn`t) superced MY RIGHTS.
You have alot of rights...but to be offended by smoking
in a place that is free to allow smoking is not 1 of those rights.

Like I said ....the business owner should have the freedom to say
if smoking is allowed or not.
HE is the person that pays sales and property taxes.

Then you have the freedom to not go there. That`s what America is
all about. Or at least it used to be when I was a kid. <_<

So what your saying is that smoking is a walking shield to increase your right to go places over mine? Just because you smoke and I don't like cigarette smoke, if you are in a certain establishment then that gives you free reign and I should just have to deal with it and or stay home? Sounds like freedom to me. Why should your choice, your addiction impede my freedom, my health, my pursuit of happiness? lol I can't believe I just said that. I will get off my soap box now.

Guest oldschooler
[quote name='Tigers Johnson' date='Mar 1 2005, 09:51 AM']So what your saying is that smoking is a walking shield to increase your right to go places over mine? Just because you smoke and I don't like cigarette smoke,  if you are in a certain establishment then that gives you free reign and I should just have to deal with it and or stay home?
[right][post="53530"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

no actually I`m saying the exact opposite.
What I`m saying is that it bothers you....you have a problem
with it. If you are so bothered and have such a problem then
it is up to YOU whether or not you CHOOSE to go in to a place ...ect....

What non-smokers are trying to FORCE is the freedom for me to CHOOSE
to smoke and you to CHOOSE to go where smoking is allowed or not.

I think that`s what BengalBacker was saying in his post (kinda)
Just because something is bad for you ...or you don`t like it.
Doesn`t give you the right to take away my choice to do it or not.
Or your choice to go where it is allowed or not.

It`s about FREEDOM people.

I agree you should have the right, just not in public places where it affects other people. I think the private property thing BlackJesus is talking about is extreme, but outside of public buildings would suffice as long as they are not blocking the entrances so you have to walk through a cloud of smoke to get inside.

Guest oldschooler

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' date='Mar 1 2005, 10:04 AM']I agree you should have the right, just not in public places where it affects other people. I think the private property thing BlackJesus is talking about is extreme, but outside of public buildings would suffice as long as they are not blocking the entrances so you have to walk through a cloud of smoke to get inside.
[right][post="53541"][/post][/right][/quote]

What public places allow smoking ? :huh:
Only places I can think of are out doors.
Public buildings already don`t allow smoking.
And have`t for sometime......

Hell you can`t smoke at a Bengals or Reds game.
And they ARE OUT DOORS !!!!

Like I said I respect others that don`t smoke.
But it seems like they don`t respect people that DO.
It`s my choice to smoke...and it`s my choice to quit.
I don`t smoke EVERYWHERE I go ...I don`t think any1 does.
So I do`t see the conflict there....

Something about this thread reminded me of this.....

[img]http://jorgen.nu/ncfc/gfx/leary.jpg[/img]
I love to smoke. I smoke seven thousand packs a day, ok. And I am never fucking quitting! I don't care how many laws they make. What's the law now? You can only smoke in your apartment, under a blanket, with all the lights out? Is that the rule now, huh?! The cops are outside, "We know you have the cigarettes. Come out of the house with the cigarettes above your head." "You'll never get me copper! I'm never coming out, you hear? I got a cigarette machine right here in my bedroom. Yeah!"

Know what I'm gonna do? I'm gonna get one of those tracheotomies. So I can smoke two cigarettes at the same time. I'm gonna get nine tracheotomies all the way around my neck. I'll be Tracheotomie Man! "He can smoke a pack at a time! He's Tracheotomie Man!"

I'm looking forward to cancer, man. I want that throat cancer. That's the best kind. You know why? You get that throat cancer, you get that voice box thing. Know what I'm talking about? ..[Talking as if has a voice box].. Sure it's scary, but you can make a lot of money with a voice box. Get a voice box, walking around the streets of Manhattan, "[VB] You got any spare change?" "Ahhh!! Here's my whole wallet, get away from me! Ahh!"

Imagine a whole family with voice boxes. That'd be creepy, wouldn't it? They'd be out in that backyard everyday during the summer. "[VB] Dad, can we go to the beach?" "[VB] Yes, get your mother and the dog. We'll leave right now. Sparky, come here." "[VB] Arf Arf Arf Arf Arf Arf Arf" Ahhhh!!

Or the ultimate irony. A guy with a voice box pulling up to the drive through window at McDonald's. That has to suck, huh? "Can I help you?" "[VB] Big Mac and a large order of fries." "Stop making fun of me." "[VB] I'm not making fun of you." "I'm getting the manager." "[VB] Get the fucking manager, I don't care."

I can remember a time in this country when men were proud to get cancer, God dammit! When it was a sign of manhood! John Wayne had cancer twice. Second time, they took out one of his lungs. He said, "Take 'em both! Cuz I don't fuckin' need 'em! I'll grow gills and breathe like a fish!"

Babe Ruth, greatest baseball player to ever play the game. He had a voic box. He was the first American to have a voice box. Yeah! "[VB] This is Babe Ruth, the Sultan of Swat, the Bambino, I smoke twenty-five God damn cuban cigars a day. I had meat for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I fucked eighteen prostitutes a night! 'course, I'm dead now. I'm up here in heaven. Lou Gehrig is up here with me. God love Lou Gehrig. Jesus Christ, poor Lou Gehrig. Died of Lou Gehrig's disease. How the hell did he not see that coming? You know. We used to tell him, Lou, there's a disease with your name all over it, pal! There ain't no Babe Ruth disease, I'll tell you that much right now. Have a hot dog and a Hummer. Go ahead, it's on me."

I don't know. Personally, I think Billy Martin said it best when he said, "Hey! I can drive!" Because we tried to be nice to you non-smokers. We fucking tried. Okay? You wanted your own sections in the restaurants. We gave you that, huh. But that wasn't enough for you. Then you wanted the airplanes. We gave you the whole God damn plane! You happy now? You own the fucking plane! I'd like an explanation about that one folks because I will guarantee you if the plane is going down, the first announcement you're gonna hear is, "Folks, this is your Captain speaking. Look, uhm, light 'em up, 'cause we're going down, okay. I got a carton of Camels non-filters, I'll see you on the ground. Take it easy." Actually, it'd be more like this, "[VB] This is your Captain speaking. Smoke 'em if ya got 'em. Rrrr Rrrr"

The filters the best part. That's where they put the heroine. Only us real good smokers know that fucking secret. Yeah, we tried to be nice to you non-smokers. We tried. But you just fucking badger us, you know? You won't leave us alone! You got all your little speeches you're always giving to us. All these little facts that you dig out of a newspaper or pamphlet and you store that little nugget in your little fucking head, and we light up and you spew 'em out at us, don't ya? I love these little facts. "Well you know. Smoking takes ten years off your life." Well it's the ten worst years, isn't it folks? It's the ones at the end! It's the wheelchair kidney dialysis fucking years. You can have those years! We don't want 'em, alright!? And I guarantee if I'm still alive, I'll be smoking then. I'll be in my wheelchair, with my adult diapers on and my twenty-five year old non- smoking born again christian son behind me. I'll be going, "Hey! Make sure you wipe this time. I was itching all week for Christ's sake! And get me some more wippets. I'm almost out, you fucking pussy! Come on!"

Because you're always telling us, "You know, ever cigarette takes six minutes off your life. If you quit now you can live an extra ten years. If you quit now, you can live an extra twenty years." Hey, I got two words for you, ok. Jim Fix. Remember Jim Fix? The big famous jogging guy? Jogged fifteen miles a day. Did a jogging book. Did a jogging video. Dropped out of a heart attack when? When he was fucking jogging, that's when! What do you wanna bet it was two smokers who found the body the next morning and went, "Hey! That's Jim Fix, isn't it?" "Wow, what a fucking tragedy. Come on, lets go buy some buds."

It's always the yogurt sprout eating mother fuckers who get run over buy a bus drive by a guy who smokes three and a half packs a day. "Sorry officer, I didn't see him. I was too busy smoking!"

Archived