Defensive Line

We only ever keep 8 DL, so:

[b][u]Left end[/u][/b] - [color="#FF0000"]Geathers, Robinson[/color]
- I think Robinson stays 1 more year. He's versatile and seems to the vocal leader of the line.

[u][b]Left tackle [/b][/u]- [color="#FF0000"]Peko, Myers[/color]
- No real surprise here.

[u][b]Right tackle[/b][/u] - [color="#FF0000"]Thornton, Toeaina[/color]
- Slight nod to Toeaina over Allen. Toe is younger, has more potential, and can play multiple positions on the line. Plus Allen has been very injury prone, and I don't think Toe will last the year on the practice squad.

[u][b]Right end[/b][/u] - [color="#FF0000"]Smith, Rucker[/color]
- Tough to pick Rucker over Fanene, but they invested a 3rd round pick in Rucker last season, and expect him to make an impact now that he's finally healthy. I think Fanene may still be eligible for the practice squad.

[quote name='akiliMVP' post='531480' date='Aug 21 2007, 08:30 PM']We only ever keep 8 DL, so:

- I think Robinson stays 1 more year. He's versatile and seems to the vocal leader of the line.

- No real surprise here.

- Slight nod to Toeaina over Allen. Toe is younger, has more potential, and can play multiple positions on the line. Plus Allen has been very injury prone, and I don't think Toe will last the year on the practice squad.

- Tough to pick Rucker over Fanene, but they invested a 3rd round pick in Rucker last season, and expect him to make an impact now that he's finally healthy. I think Fanene may still be eligible for the practice squad.[/quote]

I would be happy with that.

If there are only 8 spots, I think five are locked up (Smith, Geathers, Peko, Thornton, Myers). The other three would come down to Allen/Toeaina for one spot and Robinson/Rucker/Fanene for the other two. I think they probably keep 9, with the last spot going to Toeaina or Fanene. I just don't see them cutting a third round pick in his second year, so Rucker probably stays. Robinson is the oldest and best paid, but he's still decent and he can play both spots. I think they keep him. Allen has impressed me so far. He moves better than I thought he would and he's the only other "big" body we have besides Peko. If healthy, he should help us. The last spot is a coin toss and could depend if Toeaina could be put on the practice squad.

[quote name='akiliMVP' post='531480' date='Aug 21 2007, 08:30 PM']We only ever keep 8 DL, so:

- No real surprise here.

- Tough to pick Rucker over Fanene, but they invested a 3rd round pick in Rucker last season, and expect him to make an impact now that he's finally healthy. I think Fanene may still be eligible for the practice squad.[/quote]

Id say thats pretty much right on with the picks ..Id think the two positional battles would be
Toe vs Allen and BRob vs Fanene...Ill reserve my prediction until I see more play from them.

Rucker just might get little leeway due to his 3rd round selection and all but he's still got to show something when he plays....so far just a glimpse of his pass rushing ability and I still dont know if he can contain the outside on runs or if he's much on run defense ....

[quote name='brian55662' post='531496' date='Aug 21 2007, 08:21 PM']I think fanene makes the team. He has looked good and can play anywhere on the dline[/quote]

I hope you're right -- I like him as well - he's versatile and athletic. I think Frostee's gonna help the team, too. With those two and Geathers, even if this is Justin's last year, you've got some youth and athleticism at DE.

Archived