Some Perspective

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='556628' date='Sep 24 2007, 10:38 AM']no i wasnt.

I know were not as good as advertised, but there are good reasons for that. This stuff about "excuses" is very trite by now.

Ill say it again

How many teams have the number of injuries we have and some to very important players for their units (kilmer on teams) and have stayed in it till the end?

Nobody ever answers these questions, because deep down they know the truth, but the truth isnt something you can pound your chest to.[/quote]

It doesn't matter...the only thing that matters is getting the 'W.'

Our team does not have the mental toughness it takes to be a champion.

If a Baltimore cornerbackack gets beat for a touchdown, do you think Ray Lewis says 'that's ok--you can do better next time'? Hell no, he lets him know that he better not fuck up again.

If a New England receiver drops 2 passes in a row, do you think Tom Brady gives him a warm pat on the back? Hell no, he gets in his face to lets him know that it's unacceptable.

It sure doesn't look like any of our supposed Team Leaders call out players when they screw up. Maybe we just don't see it, or maybe it's because there are SO MANY screw ups that they don't know where to begin.

But Carson needs to get on Chad's ass when he drops 2 passes in a row. Justin Smith needs to chew out Leon Hall when he gives up 2 easy touchdown passes.

And both need to bitch slap just about every member of the kick off and punt return teams. It's obvious that the Coaches can't motivate the players so they're going to have to do it themselves.

[quote name='Arkansas Bengal' post='556661' date='Sep 24 2007, 12:02 PM']It doesn't matter...the only thing that matters is getting the 'W.'

Our team does not have the mental toughness it takes to be a champion.

If a Baltimore cornerbackack gets beat for a touchdown, do you think Ray Lewis says 'that's ok--you can do better next time'? Hell no, he lets him know that he better not fuck up again.

If a New England receiver drops 2 passes in a row, do you think Tom Brady gives him a warm pat on the back? Hell no, he gets in his face to lets him know that it's unacceptable.

It sure doesn't look like any of our supposed Team Leaders call out players when they screw up. Maybe we just don't see it, or maybe it's because there are SO MANY screw ups that they don't know where to begin.

But Carson needs to get on Chad's ass when he drops 2 passes in a row. Justin Smith needs to chew out Leon Hall when he gives up 2 easy touchdown passes.

And both need to bitch slap just about every member of the kick off and punt return teams. It's obvious that the Coaches can't motivate the players so they're going to have to do it themselves.[/quote]

Not one of those other teams you listed has the issues we do at Continuity.

Has baltimore started new linebackers at all three positions almost every year?

Your telling me that NE's WRs never drop passes? Then why the hell did they go out and get a whole new set of them this year? (and dont give me this garbage about money, that wasnt there for us) Why the hell is it the responsibility of a DE to call out a DB? What the hell does Justin Smith know about covering a WR?

Yeah there is a good idea, lets have the team fight with each other in public, rather than address the issues in private. It seems to be working for the Chargers, who are now 1-2 as well, and fighting with each other on the sidelines.

Im just as frustrated about all this as anyone, but damn I wish people would act like they knew what the hell they were talking about.

[quote name='Patmo' post='556626' date='Sep 24 2007, 11:38 AM']We'll be a lot better team after the buy week.By the ninth game we'll be at full strength and picking up steam.The rookies will be more experienced.We'll have more depth as Henry and Chris Perry return and the Bengals should be healthier.I'm looking for a late season Bengal run into the playoffs IF these things take place.[/quote]

This is how I see it. I see 4-4 or 5-3 going into the second half of the season. And I like our chances. If we go 3-5, then I will be worried, but still I will never give up hope.

[quote name='Rumble In the Jungle' post='556685' date='Sep 24 2007, 12:22 PM'][b]Injuries is our main problem! i know this, and i think that are smart enough understand this as well. what im saying is it's still going to hurt us, and probably cost us the playoffs. [/b][/quote]

maybee, it depends on how serious Brooks, Jeanty, and Kilmer's injures are and how quickly they can come back from them. It depends on if both perry can contribute once they get back, and it depends on Henry getting on the same page with Carson quickly once he gets back.

right now there is alot of uncertinities to have a good feel on what we are or arent going to do.

Let's get this thread back on track.

The point of the thread is, a lot of good teams are struggling right. Its a long season and its far from over. Don't worry just yet.

IMO we are in a better position than the Chargers (self-destructing) and Bears (no offense, just lost 4 defensive starters). Both of those teams have lost recent games by 24 points.

On the other hand, we've lost two games by a COMBINED 9 points. No one is blowing us out. We're in every game. We're making some bad mistakes right now, there's no denying that. But everything going on is correctable.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='556702' date='Sep 24 2007, 12:42 PM']Let's get this thread back on track.
The point of the thread is, a lot of good teams are struggling right. Its a long season and its far from over. Don't worry just yet.
IMO we are in a better position than the Chargers (self-destructing) and Bears (no offense, just lost 4 defensive starters). Both of those teams have lost recent games by 24 points.

[b]On the other hand, we've lost two games by a COMBINED 12 points.[/b] No one is blowing us out. We're in every game. We're making some bad mistakes right now, there's no denying that. But everything going on is correctable.[/quote]

By a combined 9 points. Just wanted to re-emphaszie your point.

[quote name='Phatcat' post='556704' date='Sep 24 2007, 11:48 AM']By a combined 9 points. Just wanted to re-emphaszie your point.[/quote]

You don't get credit for being close--it's still a loss whether you lose by 1 or by 40.

All I know is that we've lost 5 of our last 6 games.

Let's hope they can turn it around after the bye.

As some others have mentioned, we hope they can get to 10-6. To get to 10-6, you need to realistically go 6-2 at home and 4-4 on the road.

Part of the problem is that the Bengals have already lost 2 games on the road. This is not exactly unusual in the NFL...although I think we would all agree that the games they lost were in the "winnable" category.

So.... they are now in a position of needing to go 5-2 at home, and 4-2 on the road. In other words, we need to find 4 wins among these road games:

@ KC
@ Buffalo
@ Baltimore
@ pissburgh
@ San Francisco
@ Miami

Unless they can steal one of the two divisional games remaining, the margin for error is now nil.

On the home front, they need to find 5 wins among these games:

New England
NY Jets
pissburgh
Arizona
Tennessee
St Louis
Cleveland

I like the chances here..... although they still need to get better as a team if they are going to pull this off.

I am trying like crazy to be optimistic. Although the Bengals are not making it very easy to do so right now. The Special Teams play is a serious problem.

[quote name='whodey1971' post='556806' date='Sep 24 2007, 02:37 PM']As some others have mentioned, we hope they can get to 10-6. To get to 10-6, you need to realistically go 6-2 at home and 4-4 on the road.

Part of the problem is that the Bengals have already lost 2 games on the road. This is not exactly unusual in the NFL...although I think we would all agree that the games they lost were in the "winnable" category.

So.... they are now in a position of needing to go 5-2 at home, and 4-2 on the road. In other words, we need to find 4 wins among these road games:

[b]@ KC
@ Buffalo[/b]
@ Baltimore
@ pissburgh
[b]@ San Francisco
@ Miami[/b]

Unless they can steal one of the two divisional games remaining, the margin for error is now nil.

New England
[b]NY Jets
pissburgh
Arizona
Tennessee
St Louis
Cleveland[/b]

I like the chances here..... although they still need to get better as a team if they are going to pull this off.

I am trying like crazy to be optimistic. Although the Bengals are not making it very easy to do so right now. The Special Teams play is a serious problem.[/quote]

i highlighted all the ones i think we should win. what you guys think ?

[quote name='whodey1971' post='556806' date='Sep 24 2007, 02:37 PM']As some others have mentioned, we hope they can get to 10-6. To get to 10-6, you need to realistically go 6-2 at home and 4-4 on the road.

@ KC
@ Buffalo
@ Baltimore
@ pissburgh
@ San Francisco
@ Miami

New England
NY Jets
pissburgh
Arizona
Tennessee
St Louis
Cleveland

I am trying like crazy to be optimistic. Although the Bengals are not making it very easy to do so right now. The Special Teams play is a serious problem.[/quote]

All that looking at the schedule and trying to predict who they can beat or who they will lose to home or away is for fantasy players.

Take each game one at a time... do your best to beat that team on that given day.
Things happen during each game that can turn the tide ...

One game at a time until its over then you count em up and see if its enough.
I think this team will make it.. Probably on the last day!

[quote name='Rumble In the Jungle' post='556810' date='Sep 24 2007, 04:11 PM']i highlighted all the ones i think we should win. what you guys think ?[/quote]

I could see a win at Baltimore.....their D really isn't all that good....OK, they're good but way overrated. Again, I could see a win there.

Otherwise, on paper it looks like I agree with your wins. The pissburgh and Tennessee games at home will be tough.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='556675' date='Sep 24 2007, 11:08 AM']Yeah there is a good idea, lets have the team fight with each other in public, rather than address the issues in private. It seems to be working for the Chargers, who are now 1-2 as well, and fighting with each other on the sidelines.[/quote]

At least they show some fire and you KNOW that they want to win. Sometimes the Bengals look like a bunch of robots just going through the motions.

[quote name='Arkansas Bengal' post='557078' date='Sep 24 2007, 09:39 PM']At least they show some fire and you KNOW that they want to win. Sometimes the Bengals look like a bunch of robots just going through the motions.[/quote]

Were just gonna have to agree to disagree. I dont want a team that fights on the sidelines, Id rather have them encourge than fight.

[quote name='Arkansas Bengal' post='557078' date='Sep 24 2007, 09:39 PM']At least they show some fire and you KNOW that they want to win. Sometimes the Bengals look like a bunch of robots just going through the motions.[/quote]

actually, the knock on the Chargers right now is that they AREN'T showing any fire or heart, and no arguing on the sidelines isn't fire.

Archived