where is the freedom of speech ?

[quote name='Actium' post='582980' date='Nov 1 2007, 07:59 PM']But how could it offend you? If anything I would think you would be amused. A detached sense of superiority is what I imagine one would feel.[/quote]

Ahhh. Well it offends me that after all these years people can still be acting like we're in the stone-age and we need a reason for the scary ball of fire in the sky. And that the aforementioned people then control our daily lives as if what they believe matters more than what I or anyone else believes.

I most certainly don't have a sense of superiority. Just pity. I don't find sending thousands to their deaths nor censoring almost anything amusing in any way at all.

But again, this becoming J&W territory :)

[quote name='VonBlade' post='583020' date='Nov 1 2007, 04:17 PM']Ahhh. Well it offends me that after all these years people can still be acting like we're in the stone-age and we need a reason for the scary ball of fire in the sky. And that the aforementioned people then control our daily lives as if what they believe matters more than what I or anyone else believes.

I most certainly don't have a sense of superiority. Just pity. I don't find sending thousands to their deaths nor censoring almost anything amusing in any way at all.

But again, this becoming J&W territory :)[/quote]

I'm agnostic--I don't believe in a God like the organized religions, but I'm open to the idea of a Creator. Deism I think captures what I believe. I don't fault people for believing in anything though--everyone needs something. And perhaps one day I will believe in that again.

[quote name='Gordon Wood' post='582772' date='Nov 2 2007, 12:03 AM']Your "I paid for my ticket so I can do whatever I want" attitude is symptomatic of what's wrong with society. The law nor I should have to tell you how to behave in public. I dont want that job and I dont really want any government entity to exercise that kind of power. I want you to have enough respect for others to prevent you from behaving like an ass in public.

Sixty years ago these things werent issues. Not because there were restrictive laws against it, but because most people accepted the fact that there are some behaviors and expressions that you dont force everyone to witness.[/quote]

I'll agree with this one.
MULLY

[quote name='USNBENGAL the Original' post='582850' date='Nov 1 2007, 01:05 PM'][b]Is it really equal in your mind... the "Jesus" billboard and the "Fuck Whatever" t-shirt? You can equate the purposeful juvenile vulgarity on a t-shirt with a billboard advertising a faith?[/b]

Being adult also carries the responsibility of being accountable for your actions.

You talk about "accepting differences and moving on". When asked about "accepting the differences" of people thinking it's WRONG to be vulgar in public I'm told "Don't look" or "Tough shit, I wear what I want".
Is THAT accepting differences?
I personally call that "Do as I say, but not as I do" mentality?

Maybe the word doesn't offend you, but will you concede that it offends many?
[b]Do you (or would you) teach your kids that it is offensive, or since it ISN'T to you, do you (or would you) let them use it in their everyday vocabulary?[/b]
Of course it offends many people, and by your statement "Damage is done even if only one person is offended by something they hear or read."... why purposely set out to offend?

Is it ok to offend on purpose and not too care if you do?

A three year old can tell you the the word "Fuck" is a bad word and is NOT to be used.

Values DO change, I have no problem with that.
Yet I still haven't heard of ANYONE teaching their kids that it's ok to offend people on purpose and not care about it.

Values change, as do common courtesy and manners... would YOU say that we're better off now than we were 20/30/40 years ago when courtesy and manners were EXPECTED?
[b]
That same three year old won't tell you the picture of the man with a beard wanting to save something is bad... unless you are telling the three year old that it IS bad.[/b][/quote]

Both fuck and the Jesus billboard can be equally offensive to any one given person, like it or not many of us still think that this country is 90% pro christianity thats not the case anymore. Im not saying that one is any more or less offensive than another because neither are offensive to me, but to one of the 60,000 people that may have looked at his shirt could have been just as offended by the shirt as they were by the two or three Christian billboards they passed on the highway while traveling to pbs.

So basically you are concerned with the message its sending the children more so than it offending an adult?

If a three year old tells you the word fuck is a bad word they have been taught that aswell.

at this point id like to say that we agree to disagree. Im not bashing your logic or thinking to each their own, but you really have no right to thrash rumble for wearing the shirt. Hell ive never met the guy and I know hes not starving for attention like many of you have accused him of.

This topic is way off track. The original question was "is it illegal"?

-i agree you should be able to wear what you want.... depending on the place. now, i'm not saying you shouldn't be allowed but, [u]YOU[/u] SHOULD KNOW YOUR PLACE.

-NFL games and kids..... you should be a good enough parent to decide for yourself.

If you do decide to take your kid, you should know the environment, whether it be a football game or trick or treating in compton.

[b]Your parenting should have a bigger influence than some drunk stranger making an ass of himself or the "f word" on a t-shirt.[/b]

Archived