where is the freedom of speech ?

so on Sunday the day of the Pissburgh game, i took a cig. break during the first quarter and 2 security guys walked up to me and one of them told me to put my cig. out which i know i was breaking the rules on that so i did with no problem, then he asked to see my ticket stub. he marked it with a red X and told me that if i get caught again smoking that i would get kicked out of the game. at first i played dumb and told him i didn't have my stub and they were getting ready to kick my ass out, then i was like oh hold on, it's in my wallet. then the second guy told me to either wear my shirt inside out or take it off completely since it said" fuck pissburgh stealers from cincinnati with love " and it had a big ol middle finger in the front. now my question is, isn't that against the freedom of speech ?

First of all Im not trying to be an asshole to you and frankly Im not gonna answer your question. But dont you think its classless to wear a shirt with fuck on it. I mean there are tons of kids going to the games that are gonna read that, and I know most of them will hear it anyways or see it a lot while growing up, and hell half the 10 year olds probably say it all the time. But I still think you are bright enough of an individual to not want to contribute to it. Maybe thats just me though?

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' post='582045' date='Oct 30 2007, 11:58 PM']First of all Im not trying to be an asshole to you and frankly Im not gonna answer your question. But dont you think its classless to wear a shirt with fuck on it. I mean there are tons of kids going to the games that are gonna read that, and I know most of them will hear it anyways or see it a lot while growing up, and hell half the 10 year olds probably say it all the time. But I still think you are bright enough of an individual to not want to contribute to it. Maybe thats just me though?[/quote]

I totally fucking agree with you.

There are several supreme court cases regarding the First Amendment and the Freedom of Speech, but specifically a case called Chaplinsky v New Hampshire that addresses this topic. I took a class about supreme court cases so I am familar with the case.....it rules:

1. That part of c. 378, ? 2, of the Public Law of New Hampshire which forbids under penalty that any person shall address "any offensive, derisive or annoying word to any other person who is lawfully in any street or other public place," or "call him by any offensive or derisive name," was construed by the Supreme Court of the State, in this case and before this case arose, as limited to the use in a public place of words directly tending to cause a breach of the peace by provoking the person addressed to acts of violence. Held: (1) That, so construed, it is sufficiently definite and specific to comply with requirements of due process of law. P. 573 . (2) That, as applied to a person who, on a public street, addressed another as a "damned Fascist" and a "damned racketeer," it does not substantially or unreasonably impinge upon freedom of speech. P. 574 . (3) The refusal of the state court to admit evidence offered by the defendant tending to prove provocation and evidence bearing on the truth or falsity of the utterances charged is open to no constitutional objection. P. 574 . 2. The Court notices judicially that the appellations "damned racketeer" and "damned Fascist" are epithets likely to provoke the average person to retaliation, and thereby cause a breach of the peace. P. 574 91 N.H. 310, 18 A.2d 754, affirmed.

In other words, yes, what you did was illegal.

Edit

BUT this is till a good question that I want to research because I think I may be wrong....lol

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' post='582045' date='Oct 31 2007, 12:58 AM']First of all Im not trying to be an asshole to you and frankly Im not gonna answer your question. But dont you think its classless to wear a shirt with fuck on it. I mean there are tons of kids going to the games that are gonna read that, and I know most of them will hear it anyways or see it a lot while growing up, and hell half the 10 year olds probably say it all the time. But I still think you are bright enough of an individual to not want to contribute to it. Maybe thats just me though?[/quote]

not that many kids at football games in general, let alone the steelers game, and if they are, parents are well aware of the language and stuff that goes on, so i would say a middle finger and the word fuck, is likely the least of the "bad things" a kid might see at that game. also poor parenting if they somehow expected to be shielded from such things.

[quote name='Rumble In the Jungle' post='582050' date='Oct 31 2007, 01:15 AM']im not debating the fact of the morality of it, but is it illegal to wear it ?[/quote]

their house their rules, they can make them as they wish. tho its county owned property, its not public property, as its licensed to the bengals for private use. they can make a strict dress code if they want. sadly.

They are not violating your freedom of speech.

Freedom of speech protects the right of freedom of religion and freedom of expression from government interference.It was PBS staff,not the government,that told you what you couldn't wear,and PBS has the right to enforce any dress code they like.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='582054' date='Oct 31 2007, 12:23 AM']not that many kids at football games in general, let alone the steelers game, and if they are, parents are well aware of the language and stuff that goes on, so i would say a middle finger and the word fuck, is likely the least of the "bad things" a kid might see at that game. also poor parenting if they somehow expected to be shielded from such things.[/quote]

aint kidding.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='582054' date='Oct 31 2007, 12:23AM']their house their rules, they can make them as they wish. tho its county owned property, its not public property, as its licensed to the bengals for private use. they can make a strict dress code if they want. sadly.[/quote]

[img]http://www.poster.net/sandler-adam/sandler-adam-photo-adam-sandler-6205980.jpg[/img]

thats horse shit!

thanks for the explanation.

[quote name='Rumble In the Jungle' post='582036' date='Oct 30 2007, 11:21 PM']it said" fuck pissburgh stealers from cincinnati with love " and it had a big ol middle finger in the front[/quote]
Check the obscenity laws which apply to Cincinnati, Hamilton County, Ohio.

You could argue that your shirt didn't exceed the community standards regarding obscenity at a Bengals vs. Stealers home game, but I don't think you would win.

[quote name='ScarletKnight' post='582053' date='Oct 31 2007, 01:22 AM']There are several supreme court cases regarding the First Amendment and the Freedom of Speech, but specifically a case called Chaplinsky v New Hampshire that addresses this topic. I took a class about supreme court cases so I am familar with the case.....it rules:

1. That part of c. 378, ? 2, of the Public Law of New Hampshire which forbids under penalty that any person shall address "any offensive, derisive or annoying word to any other person who is lawfully in any street or other public place," or "call him by any offensive or derisive name," was construed by the Supreme Court of the State, in this case and before this case arose, as limited to the use in a public place of words directly tending to cause a breach of the peace by provoking the person addressed to acts of violence. Held: (1) That, so construed, it is sufficiently definite and specific to comply with requirements of due process of law. P. 573 . (2) That, as applied to a person who, on a public street, addressed another as a "damned Fascist" and a "damned racketeer," it does not substantially or unreasonably impinge upon freedom of speech. P. 574 . (3) The refusal of the state court to admit evidence offered by the defendant tending to prove provocation and evidence bearing on the truth or falsity of the utterances charged is open to no constitutional objection. P. 574 . 2. The Court notices judicially that the appellations "damned racketeer" and "damned Fascist" are epithets likely to provoke the average person to retaliation, and thereby cause a breach of the peace. P. 574 91 N.H. 310, 18 A.2d 754, affirmed.

In other words, yes, what you did was illegal.

Edit

BUT this is till a good question that I want to research because I think I may be wrong....lol[/quote]im no lawyer but Cohen v. California seems like a more relevant case to me.

anyways, who cares? it sounds like they dont even know who you are and jsut wanted to fuck with you since you were illegally smoking. id say keep wearing the shirt, plenty of other people wear them, and its not like youre on some terrorist watch list or anything... oh wait...

:ninja:

[quote name='BengalBacker' post='582099' date='Oct 31 2007, 03:21 AM']They would have been checking you for whatever you shoplifted from the pro shop.[/quote]

[img]http://main.wgbh.org/wgbh/pages/mag/images/allinthefamily.jpg[/img]

[quote name='Rumble In the Jungle' post='582050' date='Oct 31 2007, 01:15 AM']im not debating the fact of the morality of it, but is it illegal to wear it ?[/quote]

I know colleges have one cases in the past for kicking out individuals for wearing the same things at collegiate events. Not sure about pro events though. I would think it would be the same result.

If you were just walking down the street with the shirt, you'd be fine. But when you buy the ticket, you agree to play by their rules so to speak.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='582054' date='Oct 31 2007, 01:23 AM']not that many kids at football games in general, let alone the steelers game, and if they are, parents are well aware of the language and stuff that goes on, so i would say a middle finger and the word fuck, is likely the least of the "bad things" a kid might see at that game. also poor parenting if they somehow expected to be shielded from such things.

[color="#FF0000"]their house their rules, they can make them as they wish. tho its county owned property, its not public property, as its licensed to the bengals for private use. they can make a strict dress code if they want. sadly.[/color][/quote]

Interesting, I wonder if they could force it to where you have to wear orange or a combo of orange and black, thus eliminating the rights of the opposing fans to wear their colors? [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/39.gif[/img]

The only problem with wearing your message is, since most of the Steeler fans cannot read, they would not be offended. However, the Bengal fans would be offended of the words but not the message. :lol:

I think another point that people are missing is that you have these freedoms as long as you don't impeed on other people's right to their freedom or do other people harm.

You have "freedom of religion", but you can't walk into the street and murder someone and say it's your religious belief.

Likewise, you have "freedom of speech" but only as long as it doesn't offend others who don't wish to hear/see it. I'm sure that wearing that shirt, although you aren't forcing people to read it, doesn't give them much choice as they go about their day.

[quote name='MrOrange1219' post='582184' date='Oct 31 2007, 10:16 AM']I think another point that people are missing is that you have these freedoms as long as you don't impeed on other people's right to their freedom or do other people harm.

You have "freedom of religion", but you can't walk into the street and murder someone and say it's your religious belief.

Likewise, you have "freedom of speech" but only as long as it doesn't offend others who don't wish to hear/see it. I'm sure that wearing that shirt, although you aren't forcing people to read it, doesn't give them much choice as they go about their day.[/quote]

you can't murder someone because its against the law, not because its impeding someone else's freedom of speech. ;)

I see the point you're making, but I think if he had been walking down the street with that shirt, it would have been perfectly legal. Once you put yourself in a non-general admission setting though, its a whole-nother ballgame.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='582187' date='Oct 31 2007, 10:20 AM']you can't murder someone because its against the law, not because its impeding someone else's freedom of speech. ;)[/quote]
True, but so is having minors drink - but Catholics do it every Sunday during communion. It just doesn't effect anyone else, so you can practice that part of your religion.
Similar to the "crazy" religions that include snakes. You can't own a lot of the poisonous snakes they have, but they claim it's for religous activities, so they are allowed to have/handle them. They can't take the snakes out in public or set the free in someone else's backyard, though.
Or the mormon religion where they can have more than one wife. It's usually against the law, but their freedom od religion permits it.

You can wear any shirt you want as long as you're in a public forum, but PBS is not a "public forum" in the legal sense. You are there because you have ticket that lets you in. A ticket is a license that allows you to do certain things, and only those certain things, and anything that security deems unruly or untoward is outside that license (there are some limits -- they can't apply rules in a way that discriminates against minorities, for instance).

If you are in a public forum, a sidewalk or a public park for example, you have wide latitude say or where what you want, even if other people find it offensive.

Archived