where is the freedom of speech ?

Where's Actium when you need him?

Probably waiting on his retainer.

Can we get some pro bono work on how local obscenity laws apply to someone wearing a shirt with " 'fuck pissburgh stealers from cincinnati with love ' and it had a big ol middle finger in the front."

Whether it is Paul Brown Stadium or Pete Rose Way, I think that shirt would violate the applicable obscenity laws and you could be arrested for breaking the law.

Which would be different than enforcing a dress code at a business establishment like, "No shoes, no shirt, no service."

[quote name='MrOrange1219' post='582191' date='Oct 31 2007, 10:32 AM']True, but so is having minors drink - but Catholics do it every Sunday during communion. It just doesn't effect anyone else, so you can practice that part of your religion.
Similar to the "crazy" religions that include snakes. You can't own a lot of the poisonous snakes they have, but they claim it's for religous activities, so they are allowed to have/handle them. They can't take the snakes out in public or set the free in someone else's backyard, though.
Or the mormon religion where they can have more than one wife. It's usually against the law, but their freedom od religion permits it.[/quote]

It's not your right to "not be offended".

Polygamy is illegal even if you are a Mormon.

[quote name='Lucid' post='582218' date='Oct 31 2007, 11:13 AM']It's not your right to "not be offended".[/quote]
It is your right not to have someone else lessen your quality of life because of their own beliefs. That's the whole "pursuit of happiness" part of the Preamble.

That's why obsecenity laws came to be in the first place, I'd imagine.

[quote name='MrOrange1219' post='582219' date='Oct 31 2007, 11:15 AM']I don't think so. Utah has plenty of multiple-wife "unions".[/quote]

That doesn't mean it is legal.. In fact, the church doesn't recognize any such unions since 1904. And now even ex-communicates members it has discovered have entered into "multiple marriages".

[quote name='Lucid' post='582223' date='Oct 31 2007, 11:18 AM']That doesn't mean it is legal.. In fact, the church doesn't recognize any such unions since 1904. And now even ex-communicates members it has discovered have entered into "multiple marriages".[/quote]
Huh... who knew.
I ceed this point seeing as it seems you know more about it than I do.

[quote name='MrOrange1219' post='582222' date='Oct 31 2007, 11:17 AM']It is your right not to have someone else lessen your quality of life because of their own beliefs. That's the whole "pursuit of happiness" part of the Preamble.

That's why obsecenity laws came to be in the first place, I'd imagine.[/quote]

There are standards of public decency.. Which in and of itself is a complicated issue since it is basically determined by society at the time. But "not being offended" isn't a right... I can be offended by honky tonk.. That doesn't mean I have the right to make it stop just because I can hear it (unfortunately!).

If you can hear music from your house at night, you can get it stopped. The music is lessening your quality of life.
If you neighbors are putting their trash under your kitchen window, you can legally force them to put the cans somewhere else.
If someone wears a shirt that has FUCK on the front of it and it offends you, you can legally make them change their appearence.

If you don't believe me, try walking around Fountain Square with that shirt on. Since no one will probably say anything, you might have to go talk to a cop yourself. Be polite - you'll still have to change your appearence.

There's a reason why the "public decency laws" are there, and it has to do with people doing/wearing things that offend other people and lower the quailty of life.

[quote name='MrOrange1219' post='582233' date='Oct 31 2007, 11:35 AM']If you can hear music from your house at night, you can get it stopped. The music is lessening your quality of life.
If you neighbors are putting their trash under your kitchen window, you can legally force them to put the cans somewhere else.
If someone wears a shirt that has FUCK on the front of it and it offends you, you can legally make them change their appearence.

If you don't believe me, try walking around Fountain Square with that shirt on. Since no one will probably say anything, you might have to go talk to a cop yourself. Be polite - you'll still have to change your appearence.

There's a reason why the "public decency laws" are there, and it has to do with people doing/wearing things that offend other people and lower the quailty of life.[/quote]

The music at night has to do with interfering with sleep, it's not about whether it is offensive or not.. And it has to be above a certain decibel level to warrant a citation (I know I have been in the unfortunate situation of having some serious dickhead neighbors).

I don't know about the trash under your window. Somehow I doubt it, so long as it is not on your property, and is of a reasonable amount (ie, is being collected) and is being stored according to municipal standards. Perhaps there are ordinances in particular areas that would address this.

But wearing your profane shirt in public is not illegal. In factr neither is walking down the street cursing. Although, some areas may have ordinances against certain activities that have been banned, and thus deemed unacceptable by the community...

Simply put.. Claiming you are offended by something grants you no right to anything, unless someone is breaking a particular law with their behavior (ie noise ordinance, nudity, etc).

[quote name='GoBengals' post='582054' date='Oct 31 2007, 01:23 AM']not that many kids at football games in general, let alone the steelers game, and if they are, parents are well aware of the language and stuff that goes on, so i would say a middle finger and the word fuck, is likely the least of the "bad things" a kid might see at that game. also poor parenting if they somehow expected to be shielded from such things.

their house their rules, they can make them as they wish. tho its county owned property, its not public property, as its licensed to the bengals for private use. they can make a strict dress code if they want. sadly.[/quote]

You call that poor parenting Go?

Funny, I think it should be reasonable to be able to expect to take your kid to a football game and not see "FUCK" anything or seeing people act like drunken idiots and puking all over themselves/others around them.
I call it a problem when people think they can be as offensive as they want, in speech, actions, or gestures and think they should be protected in their uneducated vulgarity by the First Amendment.

I call it a lack of common courtesy and manners.

For instance, there are forums I belong to that do not allow my sig, or the use of curse words. No problem... that forum has their own decorum and it's a good board too.

There's a time and place for everything, and it seems that more and more, people think that it's ok to be an ass/be offensive in public and expect it to be accepted.

[quote name='USNBENGAL the Original' post='582252' date='Oct 31 2007, 12:01 PM']You call that poor parenting Go?

Funny, I think it should be reasonable to be able to expect to take your kid to a football game and not see "FUCK" anything or seeing people act like drunken idiots and puking all over themselves/others around them.
I call it a problem when people think they can be as offensive as they want, in speech, actions, or gestures and think they should be protected in their uneducated vulgarity by the First Amendment.

For instance, there are forums I belong to that do not allow my sig, or the use of curse words. No problem... that forum has their own decorum and it's a good board too.

There's a time and place for everything, and it seems that more and more, people think that it's ok to be an ass/be offensive in public and expect it to be accepted.[/quote]
it is poor parenting and there is a lot of poor parenting in the us.

nfl games are not family events, they never will be. alcohol dominates these events. parents that bring their kids and then bitch about the language are idiots. it is a given and it is not going to stop.

preseason games are for kids.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='582260' date='Oct 31 2007, 12:15 PM']it is poor parenting and there is a lot of poor parenting in the us.

nfl games are not family events, they never will be. alcohol dominates these events. parents that bring their kids and then bitch about the language are idiots. it is a given and it is not going to stop.

preseason games are for kids.[/quote]

It's not poor parenting... it's drunken idiots looking for an excuse to be assholes. It won't stop because immature assholes want a place where they think it's ok to act like immature assholes. The poor parenting was done by the drunks parents who didn't teach them that acting like an ass in public is NOT acceptable behavior.

Sporting venues are NOT "boy's night out" frat parties.

[quote name='USNBENGAL the Original' post='582252' date='Oct 31 2007, 12:01 PM']You call that poor parenting Go?

There's a time and place for everything, and it seems that more and more, people think that it's ok to be an ass/be offensive in public and expect it to be accepted.[/quote]

I'm not sure that's the way go meant it.

I agree, I should be able to take my kid to a football game and it be a "family" environment. I think the point Go is trying to make is, a parent should KNOW that the Bengals-steelers game is not a family environment as it is. Not saying its right, but parents should know what kind of environment they are putting their kids in.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='582274' date='Oct 31 2007, 12:27 PM']I'm not sure that's the way go meant it.

I agree, I should be able to take my kid to a football game and it be a "family" environment. I think the point Go is trying to make is, a parent should KNOW that the Bengals-steelers game is not a family environment as it is. Not saying its right, but parents should know what kind of environment they are putting their kids in.[/quote]

In that aspect I agree, but it's still not right. My 7 year old daughter wanted to come with me to the playoff game in 2005, but there was no way in hell I could have brought her because of the idiots there.

So instead we had her stay in the camper and mix drinks for the after party...

:ninja:

It's reasonable to [i]want[/i] to take your kid to a football game an not hear or see FUCK anywhere. It's foolish to [i]expect [/i]it.

[quote name='USNBENGAL the Original' post='582277' date='Oct 31 2007, 12:33 PM']In that aspect I agree, but it's still not right. My 7 year old daughter wanted to come with me to the playoff game in 2005, but there was no way in hell I could have brought her because of the idiots there.

So instead we had her stay in the camper and mix drinks for the after party...

:ninja:[/quote]

:lol:

[quote name='LoyalFanInGA v2.0' post='582214' date='Oct 31 2007, 10:07 AM']Where's Actium when you need him?

Probably waiting on his retainer.

Can we get some pro bono work on how local obscenity laws apply to someone wearing a shirt with " 'fuck pissburgh stealers from cincinnati with love ' and it had a big ol middle finger in the front."

Whether it is Paul Brown Stadium or Pete Rose Way, I think that shirt would violate the applicable obscenity laws and you could be arrested for breaking the law.

Which would be different than enforcing a dress code at a business establishment like, "No shoes, no shirt, no service."[/quote]

I don't know shit about this. Nati Ice listed Cohen v. California, which is the only case I already knew. Scarlet Knight listed some other ones. I don't care.

I am doing some work on a libel case probably, so if I learn anything in the course of that I'll post it. I won't do any work for free--not because I want money, but because I am lazy and don't really like the law all that much.

[quote]Funny, I think it should be reasonable to be able to expect to take your kid to a football game and not see "FUCK" anything or seeing people act like drunken idiots and puking all over themselves/others around them.

I call it a lack of common courtesy and manners.[/quote]

I couldn't agree more. Sometimes I wonder what is wrong with people these days.

Last season my buddy was told to put his shirt on inside out or he'd be removed. He didn't give the cop any crap and just did it. He asked the cop why --------- the cop said because the games are on TV that he could thank Janet Jackson and Justin Timberlake for it. The NFL cannot allow questionable material in the stands as it may be caught by the Tv cameras. This cannot make it on the air due to FCC regulations stemming from that Super Bowl half time show.

I do not know if this is true but that is what the cop told us.

By the way ------------ it is just plain wrong that things are such that would prevent someone from bringing their children to the game. I agre they are that way but they should not be ----- yell, scream, boo but the rest is not necessary and should not happen.

[quote name='MrOrange1219' post='582233' date='Oct 31 2007, 11:35 AM']If you can hear music from your house at night, you can get it stopped. The music is lessening your quality of life.

There's a reason why the "public decency laws" are there, and it has to do with people doing/wearing things that offend other people and lower the quailty of life.[/quote]

I am 100% certain that you can wear a shirt that says FUCK on Fountain Square -- you may get arrested by some ignorant Cincy cop, but you'll win your case. Lest we forget, the KKK got to put a display on Fountain Square some years ago after winning a 1st Amendment case, and Larry Flynt made a hobby of flouting so-called obscenity standards, keeping his store open for years.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='582274' date='Oct 31 2007, 11:27 AM']I'm not sure that's the way go meant it.

I agree, I should be able to take my kid to a football game and it be a "family" environment. I think the point Go is trying to make is, a parent should KNOW that the Bengals-steelers game is not a family environment as it is. Not saying its right, but parents should know what kind of environment they are putting their kids in.[/quote]

Lifelong Bengals fan that had never been to an any NFL game in his life. He picks up tix for himself and his two sons for their first NFL experience

-------------- how is he going to know what it is like at an NFL game ??????????

Plain and simply the last 3-4 years things are getting progressly worse at these games -------- alcohol sales or not ------ families should not fear attending and they should not be subjeted to some of the crap that is now going on.

If I could find it, I'd post that clip of the Dude and Walter in the coffeeshop in [i]The Big Lebowski[/i]

Walter, this isn't a first amendment thing...

I didn't watch my buddies die face down in the muck...

I'm staying. I'm finishing my coffee. Enjoying my coffee.

Archived