Highly rated linebacker (Etienne Sabino) chooses Ohio State

oldschooler

[quote][size=5][b]Highly rated linebacker chooses Ohio State[/b][/size]
Friday, November 9, 2007 3:39 AM
By Tim May

THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

Ohio State landed a major commitment last night when linebacker Etienne Sabino chose the Buckeyes over Southern California.

Sabino, who is 6 feet 3 and 230 pounds, from Miami Krop High School, made his announcement on ESPNU. He told The Dispatch he picked Ohio State for many reasons, one being that he wanted to leave the state and broaden his horizons.

"I just think Ohio State is a great place for me," said Sabino, who visited the weekend of the Michigan State game. "I like the people there, the coaches, and I really got along well with the players. I am very fired up. I am very happy with this decision."

Recruiting analyst Bill Kurelic of Bucknuts.com said Sabino is the No. 1 inside linebacker prospect in the country, according to ESPN.com, and the 19th overall prospect. Rivals.com has him ranked 49th overall.

"This is huge for Ohio State, because everybody talks about the Southeastern Conference speed and all that, and the Buckeyes just went down there in their territory and got one of the faster, more talented linebackers in the country," Kurelic said.

Sabino's teammate, cornerback Travis Howard, picked Ohio State two weeks ago. Sabino said Howard's decision had nothing to do with his, "but knowing that Travis is going there is definitely an upside now."

tmay@dispatch.com[/quote]

[url="http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/football/stories/2007/11/09/osu_fb_commit_09.ART_ART_11-09-07_C5_BQ8E00V.html?sid=101"]http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/footb...0V.html?sid=101[/url]

The offensive line is going to be solid for a few more years with the additions of
OT Mike Adams 6'7 301lbs rated 2nd best OT in the nation
OT J.B. Shugarts 6'7 310 rated the 6th best OT in the nation
C Michael Brewster 6'5 300 rated the best Center in the nation..

G Josh Jenkins 6'3 303 is the best guard in the nation and hasnt committed yet but its rumored
he's close to commiting to OSU..
TE Jacob Stoneburner 6'5 220 (4.46 speed) is the 5th best TE in the nation

These are all undoubtedly 5 Star recruits....
This could be Tressel's greatest recruiting class in terms of linemen.....

I watched Greatest High School Rivalries on the Versus Network last night.
It was about the Rivalry between McKinley (Canton) and Massillon.
Anyway, there was a RB/LB on Massillon named Devoe Torrence, and
he has already commited to Ohio State. He`s 6ft 2, weighs 210,
runs a 4.55 forty and benches 275 (max) . . .

[quote][size=5][b]Torrence answers call for Massillon[/b][/size]
By CHRIS EASTERLING

Chris.Easterling@IndeOnline.com
Advertisement

When DeVoe Torrence transferred from Canton South to Massillon last spring, it was for moments like the one he experienced on Saturday afternoon at Fawcett Stadium playing in the 116th edition of the Massillon-McKinley game. Once he got his chance, he wasn’t about to not capitalize on that opportunity.

Torrence gained 134 hard-fought yards on 35 carries, yards which helped the Tigers pull out a 23-20 overtime victory over the Bulldogs.

“It was wild,” Torrence said. “Just being my first time being a Massillon Tiger playing in the McKinley game, it meant a lot to me. We went out there, I stepped up, Steve Schott stepped up, I mean, we all stepped up. We just got it done.”

For all the big-name opponents Torrence faced for the first time this season, teams like St. Ignatius and Mentor, there is still nothing like the atmosphere surrounding a Massillon-McKinley game. But he wasn’t about to let that effect him.

“There were no jitters,” Torrence said. “(Tiger coach Tom) Stacy got us coached up and had us ready to play.”

The Ohio State-bound senior came into the game needing just 72 yards to top the 1,000-yard plateau. He did that by halftime, when he had 81 yards on 17 carries as the two teams went into the locker room tied at 7-7.

He finished with 1,062 yards and 11 touchdowns, after scoring a pair against McKinley.

“DeVoe is just a heck of an athlete,” Tiger center Blake Seidler said. “I give him all the credit in the world. He got over that 1,000-yard mark today, so what’s that tell you.”

Torrence did so despite the fact McKinley was attempting to key on him every time he touched the ball. He only had three plays over 10 yards or more, as he had to fight – like the rest of his Tiger teammates – for just about every yard.

“DeVoe’s a warrior,” Tiger quarterback Chris Willoughby said. “He has heart and he runs the ball hard every play. He did a great job.”

Not that Torrence and the Tigers weren’t used to seeing a defense keying on the run. While the Bulldogs kept Massillon’s offense out of the end zone on all but two drives in regulation, there was little they were doing differently than what the Tigers’ nine previous opponents had been doing.

Still, Massillon was able to gain 233 yards on the ground as a team.

“It was just a case of more guys in the box,” Torrence said. “That was what teams have done all year. They’ve just put guys in the box.

“It came down to who was going to be the most physical,” Torrence added. “We felt like we showed that.”

Torrence and Willoughby burned that defensive scheme for the biggest play of the game in overtime. After Torrence had been dropped for a 3-yard loss on the Tigers’ first play from the McKinley 20, Willoughby threw a swing pass to the tailback – just ahead of the Bulldog pass rush – which turned into a 21-yard gain to the Bulldogs 2.

Two plays later, Willoughby ended the game with his game-winning touchdown plunge.

“We almost didn’t get it off,” Torrence said. “Chris, he got it up there in time. I was just thinking ‘I’ve got to catch this ball.’ I just caught it.”

And the Tigers – and Torrence – have the win to show for it.[/quote]

[url="http://www.indeonline.com/index.php?ID=21384&Category=2"]http://www.indeonline.com/index.php?ID=21384&Category=2[/url]

Archived