Would you buy an HD DVD or Blu Ray player?

[quote name='Elflocko' post='622683' date='Jan 14 2008, 09:53 PM']Not if Blu-Ray doesn't counter:

[url="http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080115/tc_nm/media_toshiba_dc;_ylt=AuMtmUPKrHHPzFpCeUVvQRgjtBAF"]Toshiba slashes HD DVD prices after setback[/url]

Jamie nailed it; the American consumer will play to the lowest common denominator....[/quote]

Not at all supprised. A good move on their part, things are going to heat up. Sony if they are smart lowers their price now in an effort to end this quick, however they might not because they believe their position is strong. Were going to find out.

[quote name='Elflocko' post='622683' date='Jan 14 2008, 09:53 PM']Not if Blu-Ray doesn't counter:

[url="http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080115/tc_nm/media_toshiba_dc;_ylt=AuMtmUPKrHHPzFpCeUVvQRgjtBAF"]Toshiba slashes HD DVD prices after setback[/url]

Jamie nailed it; the American consumer will play to the lowest common denominator....[/quote]
can you say firesale!!!!! get em while they're hot and technically not dead

hello, no one is making movies for them anymore. The now have 1 studio supporting their format thats about 10% of available movies.

and sony doesnt need to lower their price yet, why would they. The time will come though when 8 million companies start making Blu Ray players and then the prices will correct themselves.

[quote name='whodey319' post='622723' date='Jan 14 2008, 10:47 PM']can you say firesale!!!!! get em while they're hot and technically not dead

hello, no one is making movies for them anymore. The now have 1 studio supporting their format thats about 10% of available movies.

and sony doesnt need to lower their price yet, why would they. The time will come though when 8 million companies start making Blu Ray players and then the prices will correct themselves.[/quote]

You dont think that if people started buying the players that the studios would change their tune? Of course they would.

But it's chicken and the egg here, is it who has the cheaper player, or the amount of movies available? My money is on people being cheap, I mean we do live in a society where Wal-Mart is king.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='622743' date='Jan 14 2008, 11:09 PM']You dont think that if people started buying the players that the studios would change their tune? Of course they would.

But it's chicken and the egg here, is it who has the cheaper player, or the amount of movies available? My money is on people being cheap, I mean we do live in a society where Wal-Mart is king.[/quote]

The studios could care less what players people buy;they only care about sales of their DVD's.

There is a reason the studios are dropping HD DVD support,they just aren't selling very well.Blockbuster dropped HD DVD rentals in favor of Blu Ray because 70% of the HD rentals were Blu Ray.According to the article in the link below,2/3's of all sold(HD) are Blu Ray,and that's BEFORE Warner Bros and Paramount dropped HD DVD support.

[url="http://www.thetimes.co.za/Business/Article.aspx?id=677490"]Blu-Ray gets the green light[/url]

I don't see Toshiba's dropping of HD DVD players as a counter move;I see it as a fire sale to cut losses and dump as many of the players as they can before the general public catches on.

From what I'm hearing from watching MSNBC, it seems that Microsoft could potentially buy the rights to make Blu-Ray players, and attach them to thier 360's?

Also... if you're looking at buying a Blu-Ray player, go to Bestbuy.com and if you buy a Panasonic Plasma TV above 42 inches i believe, you get a free 500 dollar Blu-Ray player as well

[quote name='Palmer4HOF' post='622845' date='Jan 15 2008, 11:11 AM']From what I'm hearing from watching MSNBC, it seems that Microsoft could potentially buy the rights to make Blu-Ray players, and attach them to thier 360's?

Also... if you're looking at buying a Blu-Ray player, go to Bestbuy.com and if you buy a Panasonic Plasma TV above 42 inches i believe, you get a free 500 dollar Blu-Ray player as well[/quote]

i cant imagine wanting a hddvd or blu ray player to attach to my 360 or any gaming system, i would rather not watch movies via a video game system, i use it as my normal dvd player currently, but thats for simplicity. i would want my hd dvd player to A: not be a cheap ass add on. and B be its own stand alone unit of quality and power. The blu ray put in the PS3 is as lame as it can get. in a year or 18 months, i will gladly spend $150-200 on a HD/BR player of about 15x the quality of the hd attachment or the ps3 blu ray player.

[quote name='Palmer4HOF' post='622845' date='Jan 15 2008, 11:11 AM']From what I'm hearing from watching MSNBC, it seems that Microsoft could potentially buy the rights to make Blu-Ray players, and attach them to thier 360's?

Also... if you're looking at buying a Blu-Ray player, go to Bestbuy.com and if you buy a Panasonic Plasma TV above 42 inches i believe, you get a free 500 dollar Blu-Ray player as well[/quote]
it was an interview at CES with the guy in charge of microsoft gaming. He wouldnt come right out and say it but basically was saying it but didnt want to admit that sony had a winning product.

and Go, im pretty sure that the Blu Ray player in the PS3 is one of if not the best blu ray player available.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='622848' date='Jan 15 2008, 11:17 AM']i cant imagine wanting a hddvd or blu ray player to attach to my 360 or any gaming system, i would rather not watch movies via a video game system, i use it as my normal dvd player currently, but thats for simplicity. i would want my hd dvd player to A: not be a cheap ass add on. and B be its own stand alone unit of quality and power. The blu ray put in the PS3 is as lame as it can get. in a year or 18 months, i will gladly spend $150-200 on a HD/BR player of about 15x the quality of the hd attachment or the ps3 blu ray player.[/quote]

I think he means new 360s will also be blu-ray players, not that you can buy an attachment for your current one.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='622848' date='Jan 15 2008, 11:17 AM']i cant imagine wanting a hddvd or blu ray player to attach to my 360 or any gaming system, i would rather not watch movies via a video game system, i use it as my normal dvd player currently, but thats for simplicity. i would want my hd dvd player to A: not be a cheap ass add on. and B be its own stand alone unit of quality and power. The blu ray put in the PS3 is as lame as it can get. in a year or 18 months, i will gladly spend $150-200 on a HD/BR player of about 15x the quality of the hd attachment or the ps3 blu ray player.[/quote]

Truth be told, GO, I've got one of each (PS3 and standalone Blu Ray player) and I can't tell the difference between the two...

[quote name='CTBengalsFan' post='623099' date='Jan 15 2008, 06:53 PM']I think he means new 360s will also be blu-ray players, not that you can buy an attachment for your current one.[/quote]
no, he was hinting at the same deal you can get now just blu ray instead of hddvd

[quote name='Elflocko' post='623108' date='Jan 15 2008, 07:10 PM']Truth be told, GO, I've got one of each (PS3 and standalone Blu Ray player) and I can't tell the difference between the two...[/quote]

Yea I've read alot of places that if you want a blu-ray player you might as well get a PS3 because it's the most bang for your buck. But then again I'm not too up on these things. Just what I hear around other forums.

[quote name='Elflocko' post='623108' date='Jan 15 2008, 07:10 PM']Truth be told, GO, I've got one of each (PS3 and standalone Blu Ray player) and I can't tell the difference between the two...[/quote]

but its only a 2 or 4 x player, and seemingly limited on "features" tho software updates could change that. i would assume blu ray is blu ray as far as quality, however the overall quality of the player must vary, as it obviously does with a $25 dvd player and a $300 dvd player.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='624084' date='Jan 17 2008, 07:01 PM']but its only a 2 or 4 x player, and seemingly limited on "features" tho software updates could change that. i would assume blu ray is blu ray as far as quality, however the overall quality of the player must vary, as it obviously does with a $25 dvd player and a $300 dvd player.[/quote]

Meh.

They both render 1080p, they load the media just as fast, neither has any lag, both have optical sound, etc.

Heck, the PS3 has the advantage that if you hit the R1 button you can skip all the previews and FBI warnings. ^_^

Haven't figured out how to do that on the regular Blu Ray player...

[quote name='Elflocko' post='624089' date='Jan 17 2008, 06:05 PM']Meh.

They both render 1080p, they load the media just as fast, neither has any lag, both have optical sound, etc.

Heck, the PS3 has the advantage that if you hit the R1 button you can skip all the previews and FBI warnings. ^_^

Haven't figured out how to do that on the regular Blu Ray player...[/quote]

i suppose timing is a factor too, the tachnology hasnt had time to grow, when cd burners came out a 4x was like $250, now a 52x dual layer is like $65. and 10x the quality. no wasted discs, etc..

i guess im kinda saying in 2-3 years bluray or hddvd will have moved on and perhaps have features the pds3/360 standalone dont, and youll be buying another one or upgrading in general... like progrsssive scan in later dvd palyers..

PS: i suck at typing.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='624092' date='Jan 17 2008, 07:10 PM']i suppose timing is a factor too, the tachnology hasnt had time to grow, when cd burners came out a 4x was like $250, now a 52x dual layer is like $65. and 10x the quality. no wasted discs, etc..

i guess im kinda saying in 2-3 years bluray or hddvd will have moved on and perhaps have features the pds3/360 standalone dont, and youll be buying another one or upgrading in general... like progrsssive scan in later dvd palyers..
[b]
PS: i suck at typing.[/b][/quote]

:lol:

Archived