Would you buy an HD DVD or Blu Ray player?

im leaning towards buying that HD DVD player, but i want to hear someone elses opinion.

ALSO considering im buying it for now and in 2-4 years i will upgrade to something real nice, do you think BOTH will stick around for the next 2-4 years and wont matter which i buy anyways? i would assume if i build up a big HD DVD collection then i could just buy one of the dual players if Blu Ray won.

So basically if you were me and wanted a better DVD player would u drop the 170 on the HD DVD and get the 10 DVDs and be happy for the next couple of years?

[quote name='Homer_Rice' post='614231' date='Dec 27 2007, 09:08 AM']Anyone have any experience with those upconvert DVD players? I'm happy with the standard one I have now, but have been considering getting an upconvert player until the dust settles on HD v Blu-Ray.[/quote]

The best part about the HD/Blu-ray players is that they are great at upconverting. You might be able to get a high def player for a price similar to that of a good upconverting player.

As far as Blu-ray vs HD-DVD, the quality of each is about the same and varies by movie. I'd say you've got at least 2 years before a winner emerges. It really comes down to which format has the most movies you like.

There is so much misinformation from each side about why the other sucks or is going to die. Don't believe a lot of it. It's all about money for the studios. Yes, Blu-ray is selling more discs right now but they also cost more to produce. I don't think I've seen any accurate reports about which side is more profitable right now.

[quote name='gatorclaws' post='614268' date='Dec 27 2007, 10:30 AM']The best part about the HD/Blu-ray players is that they are great at upconverting. You might be able to get a high def player for a price similar to that of a good upconverting player.[/quote]

Thats the reason i bought my HD dvd player. It does a great job upconverting, the HD is just an extra perk.

[quote name='Homer_Rice' post='614231' date='Dec 27 2007, 09:08 AM']Anyone have any experience with those upconvert DVD players? I'm happy with the standard one I have now, but have been considering getting an upconvert player until the dust settles on HD v Blu-Ray.[/quote]

I have an upconverting DVD (no HD or bluray). I like it, but it doesn't make a HUGE difference.

It does look better than SD on our 42" HD plasma.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='616982' date='Jan 1 2008, 03:33 PM']any? or select?[/quote]

any under 34.95. I got shooter,the kingdom, knocked up, next, and chuck and larry. they also have starter packs for $49.00 basically its 3 dvds, 2 good ones and one junk from a selected actor. Example Will Ferrel Anchor man, old school, blades of glory.

[quote name='whodey24k' post='617008' date='Jan 1 2008, 04:55 PM']any under 34.95. I got shooter,the kingdom, knocked up, next, and chuck and larry. they also have starter packs for $49.00 basically its 3 dvds, 2 good ones and one junk from a selected actor. [b]Example Will Ferrel Anchor man, old school, blades of glory.[/b][/quote]
whats the junk in that one? blades of glory is awesome.

i saw kingdom, probably wont buy that. i have knocked up. was next any good? never saw it. chuck and larry was ok. shooter is badass!

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='617016' date='Jan 1 2008, 05:21 PM']whats the junk in that one? blades of glory is awesome.

i saw kingdom, probably wont buy that. i have knocked up. was next any good? never saw it. chuck and larry was ok. shooter is badass![/quote]

i hated blades of glory, havent seen next yet. And yes shooter is badass!

[quote name='whodey24k' post='617035' date='Jan 1 2008, 06:08 PM']i hated blades of glory, havent seen next yet. And yes shooter is badass![/quote]
blades of glory was funny. i thought anchorman was solid at best. i got back from there. exchanged my halo 3 disc and picked up Shooter, Warriors, Serenity, Smokin Aces, and Unforgiven.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='617079' date='Jan 1 2008, 08:30 PM']blades of glory was funny. i thought anchorman was solid at best. i got back from there. exchanged my halo 3 disc and picked up Shooter, Warriors, Serenity, Smokin Aces, and Unforgiven.[/quote]

smoking aces is on my list to get next time.

[quote name='whodey24k' post='617008' date='Jan 1 2008, 04:55 PM']any under 34.95. I got shooter,the kingdom, knocked up, next, and chuck and larry. they also have starter packs for $49.00 basically its 3 dvds, 2 good ones and one junk from a selected actor. Example Will Ferrel Anchor man, old school, blades of glory.[/quote]

I just can't be convinced to purchase a movie for $35. That's absolutely insane.

[quote name='mongo' post='617260' date='Jan 2 2008, 10:01 AM']I just can't be convinced to purchase a movie for $35. That's absolutely insane.[/quote]

Thats why only buy them when there is a deal going on. I got 5 for under $100 on monday, thats $20 each. Amazon.com always has great deals on HD and blue ray disc. I got the last samari for 17.95, and the bourne trilogy for $65

[quote name='mongo' post='617260' date='Jan 2 2008, 10:01 AM']I just can't be convinced to purchase a movie for $35. That's absolutely insane.[/quote]
you dont need to, amazon and others run specials all the time for movies from 17-25 bucks and there is no cost increase for a netflix/blockbuster subscription for HDDVD or blu ray movies.

If you havent seen either format playing in 1080p then you dont know what your missing. it is truely amazing

you dont need to, amazon and others run specials all the time for movies from 17-25 bucks and there is no cost increase for a netflix/blockbuster subscription for HDDVD or blu ray movies.

If you havent seen either format playing in 1080p then you dont know what your missing. it is truely amazing

Just a heads up.

Paramount is about to drop HD DVD support and will be Blu Ray only in the near future.Warner Bros recently did the same.The only major movie company left supporting HD DVD is Universal Studios.Because of this I took my Toshiba HD DVD player back and purchased a Playstation 3 for it's Blu Ray capabilities;the games are a bonus.

The HD DVD format is as good as dead.By next year it will go the way of the Betamax.

[url="http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUST20151820080108"]Paramount poised to drop HD DVD format support[/url]

Not if Blu-Ray doesn't counter:

[url="http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080115/tc_nm/media_toshiba_dc;_ylt=AuMtmUPKrHHPzFpCeUVvQRgjtBAF"]Toshiba slashes HD DVD prices after setback[/url]

Jamie nailed it; the American consumer will play to the lowest common denominator....

Archived