What should the Bengals do with their first pick?

What should the Bengals do with their first pick?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Bengals do with their first pick?

• trade
    • draft a DL
    • draft a WR
    • draft a TE
    • draft an OL
    • draft a SS
    • draft a RB (please god no)
    • draft a kicker (I am completely retarded)
    • other

Guest Matt_Six
Draft Travis Johnson - if he is still on the board... I don't care about how many DTs we have... he could be better than all of them.

[quote name='CTBengalsFan' date='Mar 20 2005, 06:25 AM']draft an MLB, aka Channing Crowder.
[right][post="64941"][/post][/right][/quote]
:fing03: :fing03: :fing03: ... It is my most humble opinion that we should go MLB or SS... :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: It does drive me a little crazy trying to guess what Marvin will do... :sport27: :sport27: :sport27: Who-Dey

[quote name='New Jersey Bengal' date='Mar 20 2005, 07:54 AM']Draft Heath Miller and then defense the rest of the way..We must also draft a Center and add some OL depth..Go Bengals!
[right][post="64994"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

You are saying draft THREE offensive players along with defensive players? We need to draft good defensive players the first day. We must fix our defense to play against the Ravens and Steelers, if we are to win the AFC North Division.

Guest Matt_Six
[quote name='NASTYNATI' date='Mar 20 2005, 01:37 AM']Troy williamson WR hands down! he would be a perfect match for Carson and CJ.
[right][post="64962"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

I bet Williamson is taken before #17.

Anyway - with Chad and TJ locked up for at least four more years, I don't see that happening... but then again, who thought Chris Perry would be taken in the first?

I voted for a trade simply because I don't think the 17th pick brings with it too much value... I believe that the posistions we want (DT, DE, MLB, SS, TE, WR), we will be able to draft down for as long as that standout player isn't there at the 17th pick. Now say a guy like Williams or Rolle or a standout player was out 17, I would be all for taking him but i wouldn't mind seeing 2 2nd round picks (I dont know if anyteam will be willing to move up for a 2nd rounder tho) so that we could get a TE, C, MLB, SS all on day 1.

[quote name='Palmer4HOF' date='Mar 20 2005, 10:47 AM']I voted for a trade simply because I don't think the 17th pick brings with it too much value... I believe that the posistions we want (DT, DE, MLB, SS, TE, WR), we will be able to draft down for as long as that standout player isn't there at the 17th pick.  Now say a guy like Williams or Rolle or a standout player was out 17, I would be all for taking him but i wouldn't mind seeing 2 2nd round picks (I dont know if anyteam will be willing to move up for a 2nd rounder tho) so that we could get a TE, C, MLB, SS all on day 1.
[right][post="65010"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
i voted the same thing, if we trade down theres enough depth in this draft were we can get a ton of quality players at any position

[quote name='Patmo' date='Mar 20 2005, 03:10 PM']Too early to vote.We need to see if Marvin signs anymore F/A's.Like HARTWELL !
[right][post="65070"][/post][/right][/quote]
WE won't sign any more FA's as the team is only about $200,000 below the cap(Rudi's salary still counts for $6.1million this year in the first year of his contract). I reckon ML will resign Braham and Reggie Myles and possibly one or two other in-house players to one year contracts. That's it until the draft!

English Bengal :D

Guest BlackJesus
I've decided that I think the Bengals should see if Crowder is there at # 17 .... if not trade down to the high 20's and draft C Chris Spencer in the 1st....

I think we whoever we draft in round 1 we need to view as soneone who will be a starter in the team this year. With that in mind SS, TE, or DE are the best positions to draft. If we draft Travis Johnson who I rate, would he be an immediate starter - it would be a waste of 1st round money if he isn't. Also I would definitely take a centre in round 2(or 3 if any good ones do fall which I doubt). Centre is a more important need than TE and MLB in this draft and is on par with our need at SS. Ideally I would take a C, SS, DE in the first 3 round in any order as long as we get good ones. ML won't necessarily take the best player available in the first 2 rounds and will draft for need instead.

English Bengal

[quote name='Rick' date='Mar 20 2005, 09:53 AM']You are saying draft THREE offensive players along with defensive players? We need to draft good defensive players the first day. We must fix our defense to play against the Ravens and Steelers, if we are to win the AFC North Division.
[right][post="65002"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

name one player past the 1st round that could start on defense, are we forgetting our last 2 years defensive draft picks? te draft is for the future, the future is now for these guys, any defensive draft picks wont be starting, madieu was the exception, not the rule.

i think robinson will help the d-line and also perk the performance of j smith and JT, i could see another LB but i think the d-line wont be address until mid-late, and our DB situation is pretty set, probably a SS in the 3-4th round, another williams type player back there.

i think one of our first two picks will be a WR or a RB, even if TJ plays well/better, whatever, KW and warrick are most likely gone after this year, we need offense, and we need it now, if CJ gets hurt, we are completely screwed, especially if warrick is released traded or unhealthy, ....

we have been building the defense with youth and speed for two years in the draft, its the offenses turn, we still have question marks at WR and potentially RB, not to mention a QB, kitna will hopefully be gone after this year, even if bramlet comes in and does well we need a #3...although that can probably wait until next years draft, if there is a good guy there, he will be taken.

Guest CTBengalsFan
[quote name='GoBengals' date='Mar 20 2005, 07:06 PM']name one player past the 1st round that could start on defense, are we forgetting our last 2 years defensive draft picks? te draft is for the future, the future is now for these guys, any defensive draft picks wont be starting, madieu was the exception, not the rule.

i think robinson will help the d-line and also perk the performance of j smith and JT, i could see another LB but i think the d-line wont be address until mid-late, and our DB situation is pretty set, probably a SS in the 3-4th round, another williams type player back there.

i think one of our first two picks will be a WR or a RB, even if TJ plays well/better, whatever, KW and warrick are most likely gone after this year, we need offense, and we need it now, if CJ gets hurt, we are completely screwed, especially if warrick is released traded or unhealthy, ....

we have been building the defense with youth and speed for two years in the draft, its the offenses turn, we still have question marks at WR and potentially RB, not to mention a QB, kitna will hopefully be gone after this year, even if bramlet comes in and does well we need a #3...although that can probably wait until next years draft, if there is a good guy there, he will be taken.
[right][post="65110"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

we got guys who started on our defense from the last draft in the 2nd and 3rd rounds... there certainly could be someone who starts from the 1st round. Channing Crowder would probably start if Nate wasn't healthy. (and we picked him)

Guest fredtoast
[quote name='Matt_Six' date='Mar 20 2005, 01:32 AM']Draft Travis Johnson - if he is still on the board...[b] I don't care about how many DTs we have[/b]... he could be better than all of them.
[right][post="64943"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

My thoughts exactly. Either him or a pass rushing DE. Marvin wants more pressure on the QB, and we haven't done anything to improve the pass rush.

If Nate is healthy we won't use any early picks on LB. We need to give our rookies (Miller, Johnson, Abdulah) a chance to develop. In fact i would say that if Nate is healthy LB is possibly our deepest position.

If Warrick is healthy WR is one of our deepest positions.

We really need a SS bad, but I think we can get a SS in the second, or maybe even third round.

We need a C immediately, and depth at G and OT. I bet we definitely take an O-lineman on the first day, but again we may be able to get a C in the second or third.

We really need a pass-catching TE. I believe Matt Jones will be the steal of this years draft.

In conclusion I have no idea what Marvin will do. After watching last years draft I'm not even going to make a guess at who we will chose. I would love to get Jones though.

I picked trade, but really I should have picked 'other' since i really have no way of knowing what we should do with our first round pick. Everything is FAR too fluid right now to make any kind of forecast.

I would HIGHLY doubt that even Marvin could tell you what we are going to do with our first round pick. In fact, I don't think anyone will know what that will be until draft day. When players start going off the board that will determine wether we trade up trade down, stay where we are and who we will pick.

Archived