Current Bengals Front 7

[quote name='bengaled' post='638505' date='Mar 2 2008, 12:19 PM']not picking on you here, but isn't that kind of an old, and very familiar refrain? come on now, be honest.[/quote]

what's tired about it? That we shouldn't be freaking out 2 days (now 3) into FA and 2 months before the draft? Some people are running around here convinced that the roster isn't going to change (whether it be for better or worse) between now and that start of the season.

[quote name='cantstop85' post='638295' date='Mar 1 2008, 10:55 PM']i agree~ndukwe and white are good BUT NOT PROVEN JUST YET AS RELIABLE EVERYDOWN PLAYERS LIKE MADIEU WAS!!! i like dhani .....pollack is a dead duck.... odell was good who knows anymroe tho ....brooks was good b4 he got hurt.. and yeah tissues to cry into lo9oks to be the outcome...if we would sign a LB and Dlineman in FA and draft a couple more id would feel phenominal about everythink and maybe grab a veteran safety just in case....EVERYTHING WE TALK ABOUT IS PREDICTIONS ODELL POLLACK NOONE KNOWS BROOKS WAS HURT ..MADIEU IS GONE SO WE HOPE WHITE NDUKWE CAN FILL IN WE HOPE THAT THEY STUP UP BUT IF THINGS DIDNT WORK LAST YEAR WHY WOULD OUR BACK UPS AND INJURED RESERVE PLAYERS BE OUR MAGICAL ANSWER??????[/quote]

your use of caps lock is concerning in nature.

and i listed pollakc and thurman as extra icing on the cake guys. so i dont even know what your bellowing about..

frankly this post doesnt even make much sense overall.. i dont know how to responds other than that... none of tha tmakes sense.

[quote name='cantstop85' post='638255' date='Mar 1 2008, 10:44 PM']pollack and thurman havent even played on a football field for 2 years! there is no telling how the heck they are going to turn out and brooks was injured as well. Even if we do indeed draft players for defense there is no way they make that big of an impact right away exspecially if they are 3rd round picks or later....[/quote]
Tell that to Chinudum Ndukwe, already a stud after this season. ;)

[quote name='EnglishBengal' post='638626' date='Mar 2 2008, 04:21 PM']Tell that to Chinudum Ndukwe, already a stud after this season. ;)[/quote]

Most people on the board said the same thing about Madieu after his 1st year. Many called him a sure-fire Pro Bowler. Injuries happen/things change....

[quote name='texbengal' post='638190' date='Mar 1 2008, 07:20 PM']Just to get some context, I took a quick look at the current "front 7" roster.

=====

[u]DE:[/u]

Robert Geathers
Jonathan Fanene (has barely played)
Frostee Rucker (has barely played)
Jimmy Verdon (has played 4 games... in 2005)

[u]DT:[/u]

Michael Myers
Domata Peko
John Thornton
Titus Adams (has never played a down)

... and B-Rob is a UFA

[u]LB:[/u]

Ahmad Brooks (coming off injury, has barely played)
Rashad Jeanty
Dhani Jones
Corey Mays (mostly a ST guy... I hope)
Eric Henderson (coming off injury, hasn't played a regular season snap, ever)
Jim Maxwell (ST guy)
Anthony Schlegel
David Pollack (coming off career-threatening injury -- if he plays again, it's been 2 years)
Odell Thurman (currently on suspension, it will have been 2 years since he's played a regular season snap)

... and Landon, Caleb, and Lemar Marshall are UFAs

Wow. I have a lot of confidence in Zimmer to make chicken salad from chicken sh*t, but man, lots of work to do in re-tooling this thing. For real. That said, given how the D has(n't) done up to now, it can't get much worse.

Interesting, though, that two of the most sought-after, highly-paid defenders from this class have been from here. Why is that?[/quote]

I'm with you. Once again, we rely solely on the draft to patch our holes and once again, I doubt it will be enough to finish better than 25th in defense. I'm to the point now that I say fuck it, draft offense and at least we can win some games by Carson outscoring people. I fear our defense is going to be pure shit once again. We've lost guys, brought in nobody significant, and we know the rookies will take time to develop. It's a recipe for disaster, not improvement.

At a minimum, we need to add a starting DE, a starting LB, and another DT. But we also need help at C, DB, and potentially RB as well.

You can only do so much in the draft and it takes time to develop players you do draft. And that assumes that they stay healthy and unsuspended.

[quote name='Zins30' post='638632' date='Mar 2 2008, 03:33 PM']Most people on the board said the same thing about Madieu after his 1st year. Many called him a sure-fire Pro Bowler. Injuries happen/things change....[/quote]
THANK YOU! how can u call a guy a stud after one good year and he didnt even start and play the whole game or anythign. We think guys will be good and reliable and all but i dont know how u can assume this much from the role that some of these players had llast year.

Rookies typically improve over the course of the season. They say "the game slows down". Ndukwe and White got more playing time over the course of the season due to injuries to Williams and Jackson sucking. Our schedule was dramatically softer the second half of the season compared with the first. It's entirely possible that what looks like improvement by the rookies is more a reflection of the opponents than real progress by the players. It's also possible that they will both be studs in 2008 and years after. I'd like to sign McCree to replace Jackson and have some insurance.

Archived