Current Bengals Front 7

Just to get some context, I took a quick look at the current "front 7" roster.

=====

[u]DE:[/u]

Robert Geathers
Jonathan Fanene (has barely played)
Frostee Rucker (has barely played)
Jimmy Verdon (has played 4 games... in 2005)

[u]DT:[/u]

Michael Myers
Domata Peko
John Thornton
Titus Adams (has never played a down)

... and B-Rob is a UFA

[u]LB:[/u]

Ahmad Brooks (coming off injury, has barely played)
Rashad Jeanty
Dhani Jones
Corey Mays (mostly a ST guy... I hope)
Eric Henderson (coming off injury, hasn't played a regular season snap, ever)
Jim Maxwell (ST guy)
Anthony Schlegel
David Pollack (coming off career-threatening injury -- if he plays again, it's been 2 years)
Odell Thurman (currently on suspension, it will have been 2 years since he's played a regular season snap)

... and Landon, Caleb, and Lemar Marshall are UFAs

Wow. I have a lot of confidence in Zimmer to make chicken salad from chicken sh*t, but man, lots of work to do in re-tooling this thing. For real. That said, given how the D has(n't) done up to now, it can't get much worse.

Interesting, though, that two of the most sought-after, highly-paid defenders from this class have been from here. Why is that?

[quote name='texbengal' post='638190' date='Mar 1 2008, 07:20 PM']Just to get some context, I took a quick look at the current "front 7" roster.

=====

[u]DE:[/u]

Robert Geathers
Jonathan Fanene (has barely played)
Frostee Rucker (has barely played)
Jimmy Verdon (has played 4 games... in 2005)

[u]DT:[/u]

Michael Myers
Domata Peko
John Thornton
Titus Adams (has never played a down)

... and B-Rob is a UFA

[u]LB:[/u]

Ahmad Brooks (coming off injury, has barely played)
Rashad Jeanty
Dhani Jones
Corey Mays (mostly a ST guy... I hope)
Eric Henderson (coming off injury, hasn't played a regular season snap, ever)
Jim Maxwell (ST guy)
Anthony Schlegel
David Pollack (coming off career-threatening injury -- if he plays again, it's been 2 years)
Odell Thurman (currently on suspension, it will have been 2 years since he's played a regular season snap)

... and Landon, Caleb, and Lemar Marshall are UFAs

Wow. I have a lot of confidence in Zimmer to make chicken salad from chicken sh*t, but man, lots of work to do in re-tooling this thing. For real. That said, given how the D has(n't) done up to now, it can't get much worse.

Interesting, though, that two of the most sought-after, highly-paid defenders from this class have been from here. Why is that?[/quote]

I'm reminded of The Steel Curtain.

:ninja:

:(

[quote name='GoBengals' post='638193' date='Mar 1 2008, 06:24 PM']i think we are allowed to draft players too ....

soooo thats not exaclty what we are "going to war" with..[/quote]

Of course, I said they had a lot of re-tooling to do. That includes some likely FA and draftees. I was just looking at what's there now.

Whomever they draft won't be a strong contributor from day one, based on past history, so Zimmer has his work cut out for him... plus, a lot of the key guys (Rucker, Fanene, Brooks, Henderson, Jeanty, Thurman, Pollack (if they come back). currently on the roster haven't played a lot of NFL football.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='638193' date='Mar 1 2008, 07:24 PM']i think we are allowed to draft players too ....

soooo thats not exaclty what we are "going to war" with..[/quote]

too bad we have too many gaps for just the draft to fix....but that hasn't prevented them from avoiding free agency before.

[quote name='texbengal' post='638198' date='Mar 1 2008, 07:29 PM']Of course, I said they had a lot of re-tooling to do. That includes some likely FA and draftees. I was just looking at what's there now.

Whomever they draft won't be a strong contributor from day one, based on past history, so Zimmer has his work cut out for him... plus, a lot of the key guys (Rucker, Fanene, Brooks, Henderson, Jeanty, Thurman, Pollack (if they come back). currently on the roster haven't played a lot of NFL football.[/quote]

1st and 2nd rounders can contribute. as pollack and thurman did well in year 1,

but we'll have to see.

im yearning for a DE and a LB... in the first two rounds..

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I dont know why the fuck im laughing because that front 7 is simply pathetic. Our defense is going to get a stiff one in the ass if we dont do a god damn thing but lose players and not do anything positve in the offseason to get better. WOW and we lost madieu.we might as well not put anyone on the field at defense and forfiet. IVE BEEN A BENGALS FAN ALL MY LIFE AND BESIDES THE 2 CORNERS ,AT TTIMES, THIS IS THE WORST BENGALS DEFENSE IVE EVER SEEN

[quote name='cantstop85' post='638249' date='Mar 1 2008, 09:17 PM']:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I dont know why the fuck im laughing because that front 7 is simply pathetic. Our defense is going to get a stiff one in the ass if we dont do a god damn thing but lose players and not do anything positve in the offseason to get better. WOW and we lost madieu.we might as well not put anyone on the field at defense and forfiet. IVE BEEN A BENGALS FAN ALL MY LIFE AND BESIDES THE 2 CORNERS ,AT TTIMES, THIS IS THE WORST BENGALS DEFENSE IVE EVER SEEN[/quote]

man, thank goodness the draft hasn't happened yet or that free agency is only not even 2 days old!!!

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='638250' date='Mar 1 2008, 10:21 PM']man, thank goodness the draft hasn't happened yet or that free agency is only not even 2 days old!!![/quote]
seriously bro thats all im looking forward to is the draft and hopefully signing DE Odom and maybe a DT. I just want to know what in the hell is Marvin Mike Brown and whoever the hell is in charge of making moves for this team thinking. LETS GET SOMETHING DONE!!!THIS D NEEDSSS HELPPPP!!! any idiot can see that

[quote name='cantstop85' post='638251' date='Mar 1 2008, 09:24 PM']seriously bro thats all im looking forward to is the draft and hopefully signing DE Odom and maybe a DT. I just want to know what in the hell is Marvin Mike Brown and whoever the hell is in charge of making moves for this team thinking. LETS GET SOMETHING DONE!!!THIS D NEEDSSS HELPPPP!!! any idiot can see that[/quote]

you realize several people wont be crippled tihs year right?

brooks alone would ahve won us probably 2 more games, cleveland and likely seattle.

toss a new DE or a new LB in there and we are in far better shape than last year.

not to mention we will have at least 2 of the 3 missing running backs back...

health alone would of had us in the playoffs last year (losing in the first round again mind you) but upgrading DE via the draft and adding another linebacker is all im dying for. if we can add a veteran safety and a young DT in the 3rd(x2) and 4th, im happy, and a WR or Oline whichever of those 3 picks isnt used..

you act lie a ton of fucking aweosme free agents are line up outside mike browns office and he is inside reading last years cincinnati post. the bengals arent exactly a popular destination, all the drama, negative attention, losing, not to mention its a shit place to live, especially for a millionaire who wants to have a nice coushy life, like players often do, hell i dont even want to live here.

players have to be willing to come here... and spending 5-6 mil a year on a guy who will slightyl upgrade a position isnt a wise choice, not to mention if you flush 1-2 draft picks down the drain with that cash as well.

not to mention pollack/thurman may either/both be usefull in some aspect.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='638254' date='Mar 1 2008, 10:32 PM']you realize several people wont be crippled tihs year right?

brooks alone would ahve won us probably 2 more games, cleveland and likely seattle.

toss a new DE or a new LB in there and we are in far better shape than last year.

not to mention we will have at least 2 of the 3 missing running backs back...

health alone would of had us in the playoffs last year (losing in the first round again mind you) but upgrading DE via the draft and adding another linebacker is all im dying for. if we can add a veteran safety and a young DT in the 3rd(x2) and 4th, im happy, and a WR or Oline whichever of those 3 picks isnt used..

you act lie a ton of fucking aweosme free agents are line up outside mike browns office and he is inside reading last years cincinnati post. the bengals arent exactly a popular destination, all the drama, negative attention, losing, not to mention its a shit place to live, especially for a millionaire who wants to have a nice coushy life, like players often do, hell i dont even want to live here.

players have to be willing to come here... and spending 5-6 mil a year on a guy who will slightyl upgrade a position isnt a wise choice, not to mention if you flush 1-2 draft picks down the drain with that cash as well.

not to mention pollack/thurman may either/both be usefull in some aspect.[/quote]

pollack and thurman havent even played on a football field for 2 years! there is no telling how the heck they are going to turn out and brooks was injured as well. Even if we do indeed draft players for defense there is no way they make that big of an impact right away exspecially if they are 3rd round picks or later....

[quote name='cantstop85' post='638255' date='Mar 1 2008, 09:44 PM']pollack and thurman havent even played on a football field for 2 years! there is no telling how the heck they are going to turn out and brooks was injured as well. Even if we do indeed draft players for defense there is no way they make that big of an impact right away exspecially if they are 3rd round picks or later....[/quote]

nearly a year ago i saw pollack walking around the stadium on his hands.. his shape is not in question. thurman no one really knows, brooks should be fine according to everyone i spoke with. he could ahve palyed last year and they took the safe route and waited week after week then when the season officially tanked they canned that chance.

it seems you expect the worst case scenario in every aspect of the offseason. thats wierd, and we will add 2 players who can likely contribute, and the 3rd and 4th should pick up some special teams slack at least. which if you remember was much needed last year with the injuries and so on..

so many small things that dinged us when we were trying to come up for air are pretty unlikely to happen again..

healthy alone makes this team above .500, new talent and wiser young players should help too..

we obviously need some outside help. but we dont need to spend the whole cap space on 2 guys and hope they dont get hurt or stay/turn lazy and worthless.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='638268' date='Mar 1 2008, 11:11 PM']nearly a year ago i saw pollack walking around the stadium on his hands.. his shape is not in question. thurman no one really knows, brooks should be fine according to everyone i spoke with. he could ahve palyed last year and they took the safe route and waited week after week then when the season officially tanked they canned that chance.

it seems you expect the worst case scenario in every aspect of the offseason. thats wierd, and we will add 2 players who can likely contribute, and the 3rd and 4th should pick up some special teams slack at least. which if you remember was much needed last year with the injuries and so on..

so many small things that dinged us when we were trying to come up for air are pretty unlikely to happen again..

healthy alone makes this team above .500, new talent and wiser young players should help too..

we obviously need some outside help. but we dont need to spend the whole cap space on 2 guys and hope they dont get hurt or stay/turn lazy and worthless.[/quote]
he can walk around on his hands for the rest of his life for all care...that does not mean he is ready to be a football player again...sure he can walk on his hands but can he get hit can he take a beating in an nfl football game?Nobody knows....thurman like u sed noone knows....brooks is really good however he is not proven YET and 2 rookies who attruibute will not make up for the lose of madieu williams and justin smith on defense. so many small things couldve gotten us 2 .500 however we've only lost 2 key starters on defense and have gotten nothing in return besides hopes of injured forgetten players can come and play better then they left off which wont happen and 2nd 3rd year guys that we hope can take their place and do good and GOOD my friend doesnt stop powerful offenses like the patriots colts and such and such we dont realisticly have a shot at stopping a powerful offense right now and that the cold truth

[quote name='cantstop85' post='638275' date='Mar 1 2008, 10:21 PM']he can walk around on his hands for the rest of his life for all care...that does not mean he is ready to be a football player again...sure he can walk on his hands but can he get hit can he take a beating in an nfl football game?Nobody knows....thurman like u sed noone knows....brooks is really good however he is not proven YET and 2 rookies who attruibute will not make up for the lose of madieu williams and justin smith on defense. so many small things couldve gotten us 2 .500 however we've only lost 2 key starters on defense and have gotten nothing in return besides hopes of injured forgetten players can come and play better then they left off which wont happen and 2nd 3rd year guys that we hope can take their place and do good and GOOD my friend doesnt stop powerful offenses like the patriots colts and such and such we dont realisticly have a shot at stopping a powerful offense right now and that the cold truth[/quote]

i think the damdum on white and ndukwe can match madieu production quite easily, so i see no loss there unless we cant manager a veteran in the mix, madieu didnt exactly have a star studded season, but he was a solid guy who knew his role. im not all that worried about safety at this point, perhaps one of those white boys can get onto the field and be our new KASE.. kilmer.busig if they are both even on the team still?!?

smith played well, but i think a #1 or #2 rd draft pick will do juuuust fine in the de role, peko is above the learning curve, the myers/jt combo is fine and geathers is fine on the other side....if we get linebacekrs.

so linebackers are going to sink or swim this team.. again.. this year.. it could be pollack/thurman/brooks/landon/dhani/draft pick or it could be brooks/jones/schegal/draft pick/tissues to cry into.

you can get by with average and young skilled guys on the dline if there are LB's to account for. and lbs of skill can cover the short routes and cross routes, unlike the mess we had on the field last year..

so for me, linebackers are the key. im not losing any sleep over a rogers, shroud, whoever the fuck non signing.. the draft is more important, as there arent many linebackers out there and those that are, will get crazy cash..

hell look what madieu and justin smith got..... christ.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='638279' date='Mar 1 2008, 11:27 PM']i think the damdum on white and ndukwe can match madieu production quite easily, so i see no loss there unless we cant manager a veteran in the mix, madieu didnt exactly have a star studded season, but he was a solid guy who knew his role. im not all that worried about safety at this point, perhaps one of those white boys can get onto the field and be our new KASE.. kilmer.busig if they are both even on the team still?!?

smith played well, but i think a #1 or #2 rd draft pick will do juuuust fine in the de role, peko is above the learning curve, the myers/jt combo is fine and geathers is fine on the other side....if we get linebacekrs.

so linebackers are going to sink or swim this team.. again.. this year.. it could be pollack/thurman/brooks/landon/dhani/draft pick or it could be brooks/jones/schegal/draft pick/tissues to cry into.

you can get by with average and young skilled guys on the dline if there are LB's to account for. and lbs of skill can cover the short routes and cross routes, unlike the mess we had on the field last year..

so for me, linebackers are the key. im not losing any sleep over a rogers, shroud, whoever the fuck non signing.. the draft is more important, as there arent many linebackers out there and those that are, will get crazy cash..

hell look what madieu and justin smith got..... christ.[/quote]
i agree~ndukwe and white are good BUT NOT PROVEN JUST YET AS RELIABLE EVERYDOWN PLAYERS LIKE MADIEU WAS!!! i like dhani .....pollack is a dead duck.... odell was good who knows anymroe tho ....brooks was good b4 he got hurt.. and yeah tissues to cry into lo9oks to be the outcome...if we would sign a LB and Dlineman in FA and draft a couple more id would feel phenominal about everythink and maybe grab a veteran safety just in case....EVERYTHING WE TALK ABOUT IS PREDICTIONS ODELL POLLACK NOONE KNOWS BROOKS WAS HURT ..MADIEU IS GONE SO WE HOPE WHITE NDUKWE CAN FILL IN WE HOPE THAT THEY STUP UP BUT IF THINGS DIDNT WORK LAST YEAR WHY WOULD OUR BACK UPS AND INJURED RESERVE PLAYERS BE OUR MAGICAL ANSWER??????

[quote name='cantstop85' post='638255' date='Mar 1 2008, 09:44 PM']pollack and thurman havent even played on a football field for 2 years! there is no telling how the heck they are going to turn out and brooks was injured as well. Even if we do indeed draft players for defense there is no way they make that big of an impact right away exspecially if they are 3rd round picks or later....[/quote]

look around at some articles. Pollack is in better shape now (particularly cardio wise) than he has EVER been in his life. And you don't just forget how to play football.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='638488' date='Mar 2 2008, 11:46 AM']look around at some articles. Pollack is in better shape now (particularly cardio wise) than he has EVER been in his life. And you don't just forget how to play football.[/quote]
u can be healthier than lance armstrong or he could walk on his hands all he wants and be able to gymnastics with some girls but its not about him forgetting how to play football,that will always be with him i would think, HOWEVER, he forgets what it feels like to be hit by an nfl player!!!! to get rocked or blind sided and put the pads on and go on the field and get hit on every play. QUOTE ME WHEN I SAY HE WILL NEVER BE THE SAME ON AN NFL FIELD EVER!

[quote name='BengalBacker' post='638217' date='Mar 1 2008, 08:05 PM']Just shows how week the FA pool is.[/quote]
weak or not, there are SOME teams that have done remarkably well with that weak FA pool. you have to be a willing player, of course.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='638250' date='Mar 1 2008, 09:21 PM']man, thank goodness the draft hasn't happened yet or that free agency is only not even 2 days old!!![/quote]

not picking on you here, but isn't that kind of an old, and very familiar refrain? come on now, be honest.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='638250' date='Mar 1 2008, 09:21 PM']man, thank goodness the draft hasn't happened yet or that free agency is only not even 2 days old!!![/quote]

Agreed! Some people are on here complaining like we are the day before the first regular season game, instead of the second day of the new season. I'll agree, it is somewhat disappointing to not get Shaun, but I was pleasantly suprised to see us active that fast in the free agency period and it is nice to see them getting in some players to talk. I think we have done a good job getting new defensive coaches, and it looks like they are looking at players that most of us wanted them to talk to, and the two guys that we haven't resigned most agree were expendable, especially at the levels in the contracts they signed. Lets give it at least until the end of the draft before we all start beating ourselves like the guy in the Da Vinci Code!
:mellow: :mellow:

[quote name='cantstop85' post='638497' date='Mar 2 2008, 12:06 PM']u can be healthier than lance armstrong or he could walk on his hands all he wants and be able to gymnastics with some girls but its not about him forgetting how to play football,that will always be with him i would think, HOWEVER, he forgets what it feels like to be hit by an nfl player!!!! to get rocked or blind sided and put the pads on and go on the field and get hit on every play. [b]QUOTE ME WHEN I SAY HE WILL NEVER BE THE SAME ON AN NFL FIELD EVER![/b][/quote]

ok.

Archived