Center?

[quote name='akiliMVP' post='643654' date='Mar 15 2008, 11:22 AM']No[/quote]
Short answer from someone who usually has a lot to say around draft time. So why no? I'm not questioning your reply, I just want to hear your reasoning. As I've mentioned before, I don't get real in depth on draft related topics until around this time of year and rely on people like you who have more insight to give me a framework when I lock myself in my house for two days in late April.

[quote name='ChicagoBengal' post='643668' date='Mar 15 2008, 12:20 PM']Short answer from someone who usually has a lot to say around draft time. So why no? I'm not questioning your reply, I just want to hear your reasoning. As I've mentioned before, I don't get real in depth on draft related topics until around this time of year and rely on people like you who have more insight to give me a framework when I lock myself in my house for two days in late April.[/quote]
I think Ghiaciuc's problems had to do with injuries and inexperience. No center in the draft, especially this one where I don't think any are worthy of more than a 4th round pick, will be an upgrade over Ghiaciuc.

[quote name='akiliMVP' post='643672' date='Mar 15 2008, 11:33 AM']I think Ghiaciuc's problems had to do with injuries and inexperience. No center in the draft, especially this one where I don't think any are worthy of more than a 4th round pick, will be an upgrade over Ghiaciuc.[/quote]
Thanks! I hope your right on EG.

Center is not strong at all in this year's draft. The best solution I've dreamed up is to draft Roy Schuening and convert him to center. He's shown versatility by playing guard for most of career, but also by sliding outside to RT in the final 4 or 5 games of his senior year. My thinking on this revolves around Rich Braham and Jeff Hartings. Both guys entered the NFL as guards and ended their careers as centers.

[quote name='Inigo Montoya' post='643700' date='Mar 15 2008, 07:50 PM']Center is not strong at all in this year's draft. The best solution I've dreamed up is to draft Roy Schuening and convert him to center. He's shown versatility by playing guard for most of career, but also by sliding outside to RT in the final 4 or 5 games of his senior year. My thinking on this revolves around Rich Braham and Jeff Hartings. Both guys entered the NFL as guards and ended their careers as centers.[/quote]

I don't know if you recall, but we did draft a C from ND last year in the 7th round, and the team kept him regardless of who the they were bringing in and out to be a back up to Ghiacuc.. So maybe that means Marvin and staff really believe in his ability. He did come from a bigtime program against all the top competetion... Who knows.

[quote name='cincity' post='643707' date='Mar 15 2008, 02:49 PM']I don't know if you recall, but we did draft a C from ND last year in the 7th round, and the team kept him regardless of who the they were bringing in and out to be a back up to Ghiacuc.. So maybe that means Marvin and staff really believe in his ability. He did come from a bigtime program against all the top competetion... Who knows.[/quote]

I think EG is gonna be a good center, assuming he can stay healthy. It's interesting -- Marvin has, several times, alternatively challenged and praised Ghiaciuc publicly, and he doesn't typically do that a lot. In the pre-season last year, he raved about the improvements he made... and then after this season, he challenged him to get better on the mental aspects. He's a heckuva athlete - really good in space, IMO... he'd be a good pulling guard. I'm looking for him to take the next step in 2008.

Depth-wise, they have Santucci, who (at least) Hobson indicated that the team liked. Another good athlete. And Nate Livings is another possibility, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if they took one or more OL in this draft, and as early as round 3. Willie's getting old, Levi's knees are still a question, and Bobbie's not getting any younger.

Of the centers coming out, Mike Pollak is the only guy I've seen that does anything for me. There are some interesting players that can swing at several positions - guys like McGlynn and Jeremy Zuttah, who's a very good athlete, and reportedly a smart kid, too.

[quote name='texbengal' post='643710' date='Mar 15 2008, 05:17 PM']There are some interesting players that can swing at several positions - guys like McGlynn .....[/quote]

careful there, tex... there's a whole host of experts on this board that will strike down such "out of the box" thinking. take it from me. :rolleyes:

I will say I am a Marshall alum but I think its possible that in the 6th or 7th round Doug Legursky could be there. With his size he could be a good project center. He is a big man that can push a DT out of the way for the running game and with coaching he could be a good pass blocker. Other than Doug I cant see the Bengals taking a center early on because as was said there is just not much quality this draft.

Also because of his size he could play guard in the future. Do to that though he really needs to work on his footwork.

[quote name='akiliMVP' post='643672' date='Mar 15 2008, 12:33 PM']I think Ghiaciuc's problems had to do with injuries and inexperience. No center in the draft, especially this one where I don't think any are worthy of more than a 4th round pick, will be an upgrade over Ghiaciuc.[/quote]

Is Ghiaciuc the next Richie Braham ? Give him three more years and then we'll know.

This draft is weak for C's.

Archived