iPhone 3g

[quote name='Elflocko' post='676943' date='Jul 2 2008, 11:08 PM']Nebraska sucks, but Kansas is worse. :nasty:

As for where I live, here's looking to the East from my back yard:

[img]http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w248/carniverousmidget/IMG_0159.jpg[/img]

And here's looking to the west:

[img]http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w248/carniverousmidget/IMG_0086.jpg[/img]

Well, that one isn't from my back yard, it's from the top of Lone Mountain. My house is down there, though...[/quote]

i wish i lived out there... im still working on the wife to move to denver... she only wants to move if she can stay home with the boys. which i prefer keeping her income coming in... for obvious reasons.. so the work continues...

[quote name='GoBengals' post='676945' date='Jul 2 2008, 10:27 PM']i wish i lived out there... im still working on the wife to move to denver... she only wants to move if she can stay home with the boys. which i prefer keeping her income coming in... for obvious reasons.. so the work continues...[/quote]

Denver is a fantastic place to live. We loved it there and would have stayed, but at the time the cost of living was so high that we could never get ahead.

From what I hear, things are more manageable these days, but we've been living in the desert so long we're a couple of cold weather pussies now...

[quote name='Elflocko' post='676949' date='Jul 2 2008, 11:39 PM']Denver is a fantastic place to live. We loved it there and would have stayed, but at the time the cost of living was so high that we could never get ahead.

From what I hear, things are more manageable these days, but we've been living in the desert so long we're a couple of cold weather pussies now...[/quote]

yea the cost of living isnt too much different than here now. my sister is there and i visit often, her house was about $270k ,same house here in same quality area would be about $220-250.

i like the winters there better than ohio. they may get 5 feet of snow but its how forstbite cold and the roads are cleared to get to work in no time. i just really dislike ohio in general.. its always so humid or frostbite cold here, the weather is more extreme there but doesnt seem as bad to live through..

[quote name='GoBengals' post='676959' date='Jul 2 2008, 11:38 PM']yea the cost of living isnt too much different than here now. my sister is there and i visit often, her house was about $270k ,same house here in same quality area would be about $220-250.

i like the winters there better than ohio. they may get 5 feet of snow but its how forstbite cold and the roads are cleared to get to work in no time. i just really dislike ohio in general.. its always so humid or frostbite cold here, the weather is more extreme there but doesnt seem as bad to live through..[/quote]

Winters are a breeze there by comparison. We would get 10 inches of snow overnight, the sun would come up at dawn, and it would all be melted by noon.

The only thing that sucked was when it didn't all melt, freeze overnight, and you'd be commuting over 3" of solid ice...

At least from my experience, Verizon has the best coverage around here (and everywhere I've been with my girlfriend), with AT&T second, and Sprint somewhere below. My girlfriend uses Verizon, and I don't think she's ever dropped a call, or been in an area without service (which is saying something, considering no one else gets reception at our cabin in KY, and the hiking we do in the Smokies). I don't drop calls, but I don't get service at the cabin, in some areas of the Smokies (including outside of an AT&T place in Pigeon Forge, which is rather funny), and sometimes no service inside my school buildings. Our Sprint friends are just terrible. They drop calls all the time, and can never be reached. It's not like they live in a cave, either...

I'm sure other people rank AT&T and Sprint different, but I don't think a whole lot of Sprint. Our Sprint friends don't either, but their company pays the bill, and they say to use Sprint.

I can't imagine anyone saying bad things about Verizon's coverage, though. That service is damn near bullet proof in our travels.

[quote name='mongo' post='677038' date='Jul 3 2008, 11:06 AM']At least from my experience, Verizon has the best coverage around here (and everywhere I've been with my girlfriend), with AT&T second, and Sprint somewhere below. My girlfriend uses Verizon, and I don't think she's ever dropped a call, or been in an area without service (which is saying something, considering no one else gets reception at our cabin in KY, and the hiking we do in the Smokies). I don't drop calls, but I don't get service at the cabin, in some areas of the Smokies (including outside of an AT&T place in Pigeon Forge, which is rather funny), and sometimes no service inside my school buildings. Our Sprint friends are just terrible. They drop calls all the time, and can never be reached. It's not like they live in a cave, either...

I'm sure other people rank AT&T and Sprint different, but I don't think a whole lot of Sprint. Our Sprint friends don't either, but their company pays the bill, and they say to use Sprint.

I can't imagine anyone saying bad things about Verizon's coverage, though. That service is damn near bullet proof in our travels.[/quote]

yea sprints reputation is rather poor, and its all their fault, mostly due to the phones they have carried over the years, not only were they gawd ugly, but they cut costs via the manufacturer by limiting what frequencies the phones worked on. all carriers use more than one frequency, something in the 1800-1950 range and something in the 700-900 range. the lower freq penetrates buildings better and the higher freq travels further in open space. if you shop well, youll get the most from your phone, at TMO they had roaming agreemnts with at&t and verizon and sprint do as well as with alltel. but if you got the low end line of phones, the freebees and cheapo phones, it likely works on the highest frequency for highway type calling, and may not even work on all of the tmo or sprint networks, let alone on a roaming call. ive been addicted to blackberry for ages it seems and they are always quad band phones, so ive never had an issue, picks up roaming flawlessly wherever ive been with either carrier. verizon is smart enough to carry better quality phones, they charge more for them, and they should, in teh system i have, showing bandwidth capacities for all carriers, its version > sprint > att > nextel > tmo i list nextel seperately as its a separate network with a separate capacity. that was as of January this year. now misuse of said bandwidth will result in call drops and scratchy calls regardless how much is available n another city. so it doesnt mean a whole lot.

anyway, moral of the story. every ompany sells some crap, if you buy the crap, youve got vrap.. sadly for me and most of my day, sprint sold a LOT of it for a LONG time.

[quote name='rizzy' post='678291' date='Jul 11 2008, 04:21 PM']I am posting this from my new 3g iPhone and it is amazing. Best phone I have ever seen. The apps are amazing.[/quote]

cool. i've messed with some of the apps with my ipod touch. not sure i'll get an iphone til the holiday season, but i'm sure i'll get one as my next phone. :)

[quote name='mongo' post='678584' date='Jul 13 2008, 01:38 AM']cool. i've messed with some of the apps with my ipod touch. not sure i'll get an iphone til the holiday season, but i'm sure i'll get one as my next phone. :)[/quote]

what apps do u have on your touch? i just got the app store on my touch.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='678588' date='Jul 13 2008, 03:21 AM']what apps do u have on your touch? i just got the app store on my touch.[/quote]

I picked up Pandora, AOL Radio, and Apple's Texas Holdem game. Of the bunch, I think the Holdem was $5. It's pretty good. I haven't tried the multiplayer yet, but I'm having a good time with the single player. Pandora's great. It's just like the web version. AOL Radio is nice to have so I can listen to sports talk radio and stuff. :)

How about you?

[quote name='mongo' post='678621' date='Jul 13 2008, 10:39 AM']I picked up Pandora, AOL Radio, and Apple's Texas Holdem game. Of the bunch, I think the Holdem was $5. It's pretty good. I haven't tried the multiplayer yet, but I'm having a good time with the single player. Pandora's great. It's just like the web version. AOL Radio is nice to have so I can listen to sports talk radio and stuff. :)

How about you?[/quote]

i grabbed AIM, Morroco (othello) and wordwrap(i played the yahoo version of this all the time in school). i had it updating yesterday while i worked last night and i got home and went through real quick and grabbed a few. i havent had a lot of time to really look into them yet.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='675628' date='Jun 26 2008, 04:09 PM']im a little bias doing work for sprint, but the instinct destroys the new iphone let alone the old one.

the at&t 3g network is still rather pathetic at about half the speed of the EVDO Rev-A. and is relatively small compared to thier network in general.

the built in memory is cool on the iphone, but the instinct is $70 cheaper even on the cheapest iphone and an 8 gb micro card for the instinct is $62(decreasing weekly of course). so im sure a 16 gig will be $70-ish within the next 3-4 month tops..

[b]Instinct:[/b]
cheaper
faster
does more

[b]iPhone:[/b]
trendier

the instinct will play itunes aac files as well. so no big leap for the itunes factor...

data on GSM networks is pretty lame in the US. theyll catch up tho.. i have a tmobile phone and a sprint pda. used to be vice versa till i realised how fast CDMA data was.

**ends walking commercial**[/quote]

I just checked out the Instinct on Sprint's web site and DAMN!, this is an impressive phone!

I've been a Sprint customer since 2001, last year if I could've got through to customer service to talk with anybody for two straight days I would have left the company I was so pissed off with how they were treating me (charges added that had never been there before, accusing me of giving my phone to people who apparently like to browse the internet all the time)...I was sick of them.

BUT.....I couldn't get through, I calmed down and decided to just wait out my contract and then get a new service provider. I've been doing that and for the last 7 months I can honestly say I've been fairly happy with my product again (happy is not having to think about calling them to bitch every month).

This phone might just keep me as a customer because 1) I was interested in the iphone and the Instinct appears to do the same exact things and more. 2) I can upgrade right now as opposed to November when my contract is up, a 3) I don't want to pay $99/mo for my cellphone services so I LOVE the idea of the Everything Plans tier system.

I've never had an ipod...nor to I do itunes...so this seems like a perfect fit.

[quote name='sm00th_kw' post='679992' date='Jul 18 2008, 04:37 PM']After checking the instinct out more I'm quite excited to get one here soon....as for the memory card, is that just going to be a SanDisk thing?[/quote]

yea it comes with a 2gb micro SD card. any brand will work, the car in it says samsung, but its made by sandisk.

Archived