Final Fantasy XIII for 360

There is now no reason for me to ever buy a PS3.

[url="http://e3.gamespot.com/story.html?sid=6193730&pid=950899&tag=topslot;title;2&om_act=convert&om_clk=topslot"]http://e3.gamespot.com/story.html?sid=6193...;om_clk=topslot[/url]

[quote]LOS ANGELES--At the 2005 Electronic Entertainment Expo, Microsoft presented what it thought was a major announcement from a top Japanese developer, Square Enix. Unfortunately, the "news" proved a tad anticlimactic, considering that the game in question was Final Fantasy XI, a massively multiplayer online role-playing game previously released on the PC in 2003 and the PlayStation 2 in 2004. Despite a sizeable PR push, the 360 edition of the game was lukewarmly received by critics and consumers, who barely bought 213,000 copies of it in the US.

Over the next three years, Microsoft would announce several more Square Enix games for the Xbox 360, including the exclusive Star Ocean: The Last Hope and the timed exclusive The Last Remnant. However, in many gamers' minds these projects were dwarfed in importance by the stature of two other Square Enix games: Final Fantasy XIII and Final Fantasy XIII Versus, both PlayStation 3 exclusives...

...until today.

This morning at its press briefing at the E3 Media & Business Summit, Microsoft stunned many in the audience by announcing that Final Fantasy XIII is now in development for the Xbox 360. Not only is the game coming to the console, but it will arrive on the same day and date as the PlayStation 3 edition of the game, with no timed exclusivity of any kind. However, when exactly that is remains a mystery, given that the graphics-intensive role-playing game still has no firm release date.

"We believe that releasing an Xbox 360 version of Final Fantasy XIII will allow us to provide the game to even more fans in the two regions of North America and Europe," Square Enix boss Yoichi Wada told a stunned audience. No mentioned was made of Japan, where the 360 is far less popular than the PS3.

Wada also used today's event to date the 360 release of The Last Remnant in all regions. The game will ship in North America on September 2, Europe and the UK on September 5, and Japan and Asia on September 11.

Check back throughout the week for previews and impressions of Square Enix's game lineup from E3 2008.[/quote]

I honestly don't even know what this game is. I mean, I've heard of it, sure, but never played any of the 12 previous versions of it on either PS2 or PS3, nor had any desire to.

Congrats though on that one, I guess. Netflix and sloppy 13ths ehh?

[quote name='sm00th_kw' post='679264' date='Jul 15 2008, 03:48 PM']I honestly don't even know what this game is. I mean, I've heard of it, sure, but never played any of the 12 previous versions of it on either PS2 or PS3, nor had any desire to.

Congrats though on that one, I guess. Netflix and sloppy 13ths ehh?[/quote]

:rofl:

So bitter.

The FF series is only one of the bigger game series that was exclusive to PS, and until now had never been on a American console period. (With Nintendo and PS both being Japaneese).

Sloppy 13ths :rofl:

[quote name='sm00th_kw' post='679272' date='Jul 15 2008, 04:09 PM']I've never played any version of the game...what do you want me to be upset about?[/quote]

The point being that the PS has lost exclusivity of a major title that might bring people to buying its system.

But hey they still got Blu-Ray. :lol:

Don't you think people that were needed their Final Fantasy fix would have already bought PS3? Has a version of that game even come out for the PS3?

Seriously, if Halo comes out for PS3 why would people that aready bought the game in the previous years for XBOX switch to buy the exact same game on a different system?

Maybe they would, I have no idea...I don't even know what the game is about.

[quote name='sm00th_kw' post='679274' date='Jul 15 2008, 04:14 PM']Don't you think people that were needed their Final Fantasy fix would have already bought PS3? Has a version of that game even come out for the PS3?

Seriously, if Halo comes out for PS3 why would people that aready bought the game in the previous years for XBOX switch to buy the exact same game on a different system?

Maybe they would, I have no idea...I don't even know what the game is about.[/quote]

Well seeing as there is no FF for the PS3 yet, no.

[quote name='sm00th_kw' post='679274' date='Jul 15 2008, 05:14 PM']Don't you think people that were needed their Final Fantasy fix would have already bought PS3? Has a version of that game even come out for the PS3?

Maybe they would, I have no idea...I don't even know what the game is about.[/quote]

First off, Final Fantasy is one of the most classic series in video game history. How the hell do you even join these convos without "knowing what the game is"? Wow.

Secondly, Halo couldn't come out for the PS3.

And thirdly, I am one of those people who waited out on purchasing a PS3 mainly because I was interested in seeing if they would finally bring FF over to the 360. So since I'm not into 30 hour interactive movies, MGS doesnt interest me, and I've got no reason to get a PS3.

[quote name='B.A.B.' post='679381' date='Jul 16 2008, 04:22 AM']First off, Final Fantasy is one of the most classic series in video game history. How the hell do you even join these convos without "knowing what the game is"? Wow.

And thirdly, I am one of those people who waited out on purchasing a PS3 mainly because I was interested in seeing if they would finally bring FF over to the 360. So since I'm not into 30 hour interactive movies, MGS doesnt interest me, and I've got no reason to get a PS3.[/quote]

Its the only reason I was concidering getting a ps3 as well.

[quote name='whodey319' post='679405' date='Jul 16 2008, 08:32 AM']not a FF fan at all.

do you guys think this is going to be multiple disks for the 360?[/quote]

i wouldnt be supprised, but then im not sure the # of disks the thing is on is enough to warrent spending 400 dollars for a system just to play the one game, ill get my ass off the couch and switch the disks.

[quote name='whodey319' post='679405' date='Jul 16 2008, 09:32 AM']not a FF fan at all.

do you guys think this is going to be multiple disks for the 360?[/quote]

definitely. Unless they do that shit where they install shit on the hard drive like what they did for MGS3 on the PS3. Lost odyssey was friggin 4 disks. Final Fantasy is known for their crazy cutscenes and shit. Should definitely be more than one disk.

[quote name='B.A.B.' post='679520' date='Jul 16 2008, 03:18 PM']definitely. [color="#FF0000"]Unless they do that shit where they install shit on the hard drive like what they did for MGS3 on the PS3.[/color] Lost odyssey was friggin 4 disks. Final Fantasy is known for their crazy cutscenes and shit. Should definitely be more than one disk.[/quote]

i could see that, but even then I bought FF7 for the PC back in the day and that thing had like 4 disks to itself. Crazy.

Looks like they will be using compression techniques to make up for the difference between blu-ray and dvd.

[url="http://e3.gamespot.com/story.html?sid=6194175&pid=950899&om_act=convert&om_clk=multimodule&tag=multimodule;picks;title;2"]http://e3.gamespot.com/story.html?sid=6194...e;picks;title;2[/url]

[quote]Following the bombshell announcement regarding Final Fantasy XIII’s platform expansion to the Xbox 360, Square Enix has been hosting some cozy question and answer sessions to chat up the upcoming installment in its flagship series. We got to sit down to the roundtable with FFXIII producer Yoshinori Kitase and Square Enix executive Shinji Hashimoto to talk shop about the role-playing game and its development. We were warned at the beginning that it’s still quite early in the development process and so details would be scarce, and this was true. Details are still pretty scarce. However, even mere droplets of information about new Final Fantasy games are delicious, so we were unperturbed.

The first query had to do with scheduling, and whether the PS3 version of the game was being delayed in order to accommodate the newly announced 360 version. The reply was that the PS3 version is on track to be completed as scheduled, and that the 360 version will be ported from it. According to Square Enix, there should not be a delay in order to bring both versions to release.

Next, the team was asked about the possibility of additional content when FFXIII reaches US shores–content that is usually added to the overseas releases after the game first comes out in Japan. The answer given was that the typical Final Fantasy release schedule ends up staggered between territories, with gaps of at least 6 months between the initial Japanese date and releases in US and Europe. Currently there’s no extra content planned, since they are anticipating lessening the gap between the Japanese release and the worldwide unveiling.

[b]The next question was regarding the technical limitations of DVD media as opposed to Blu-ray, and how that would impact the visuals of the Xbox 360 version. The response was that while nothing’s been decided yet, they were planning to optimize compression for the disc-space hogs, which are pre-rendered cutscenes and voice work so the quality would not be adversely affected. [/b]
When asked why Square Enix made the decision to produce an Xbox 360 version for the Final Fantasy series, we were at first gently reminded that the massively multiplayer Final Fantasy XI made its way to the 360. So while this isn’t technically the first Final Fantasy on the system, they say that for this installment they wanted to make it available to as many fans as possible. They recognize that there are many fans floating around out there with interest in the game who do not own a PlayStation 3. We inquired if there were any tentative plans for 360 achievements for the game, and received the somewhat cryptic answer that they didn’t want the gameplay experience to be noticeably different between the two versions, but that there would be details where they would diverge.

A question about the characters shown in the trailer and a request for their names and backgrounds was quietly declined, as Square Enix isn’t ready to share those details yet. However, it was reiterated that the main character is called Lightning by the people around her, and that this is not her true name.

The next question was for Mr. Kitase, who is returning to Final Fantasy development on FFXIII after not participating on Final Fantasy XII, asking him how he would describe changes in the gameplay. He responded that Final Fantasy X had random encounters with a battle environment that would load, and that Final Fantasy XII had enemies that were on-screen with seamless transitions to battle. In Final Fantasy XIII, a version of the active time battle system will return, and they hope to combine the best of FFX and FFXII’s systems. He says that there will be monsters in the field, but that the encounter system will be different than how Final Fantasy XII’s turned out.

When asked what the game world was like, Mr. Kitase and Mr. Hashimoto declined to give very much detail, but did reveal that “Pulse” is the name of a region in the game. The name is said to derive from the “Fabula Nova Crystalis” mythos that pervades the world of both Final Fantasy XIII and Versus XIII.

Another question addressed the game’s soundtrack and Japanese voiceover talent, questing for details. The response was that the voice actors are being cast right now, and that they seek actors who not only have skillful delivery, but who have voices that truly fit the vision of each character. As far as the game’s music goes, we were told that the music will be recorded once all the cinematics are completed, and that the sound would have a lot of choral influence.

Mr. Kitase was then asked how the tone and theme of Final Fantasy has evolved over time, and whether or not he felt like he’d carried on former producer Hironobu Sakaguchi’s legacy. Mr. Kitase said that there was nothing that he really felt that he had to protect or maintain. The teams that work on the Final Fantasy games always look at the previous titles and there’s always a link between the games.

Questioned on whether the gameplay would be more free-roaming style or more structured and linear, they answered that they can’t really talk about it yet. However, the people in charge of crafting the story and managing the gameplay both are quite devoted to their respective views, we were told, so their aim is that the game has a good balance.

Finally, we talked about Lightning and how she seemed like quite a strong character, but also isolated and alone, and asked how that would come into play in the story. We were told that this is one of the major themes of Final Fantasy XIII. There’s almost a categorical rejection at the beginning where characters refuse to fight alongside others, and then gradually they come together and become close. The trailer is meant to illustrate this.[/quote]

It says in that article that Final Fantasy XI has already been on the 360, if it wasn't big news for FF XI, why/how is this big news now?

I could certainly be wrong...this may be the deathblow for PS3, but to me when I heard the announcment at E3 from 360 my reaction was "...and??? Oh, that's it?"

But this is coming from someone who could care less the game existed...

[quote name='B.A.B.' post='679381' date='Jul 16 2008, 05:22 AM']First off, Final Fantasy is one of the most classic series in video game history. How the hell do you even join these convos without "knowing what the game is"? Wow.

And thirdly, I am one of those people who waited out on purchasing a PS3 mainly because I was interested in seeing if they would finally bring FF over to the 360. So since I'm not into 30 hour interactive movies, MGS doesnt interest me, and I've got no reason to get a PS3.[/quote]

1) Ain't Mario Bros. classic...

2) Who gives a shit?

3) I'm not...nor have I ever heard or cared to hear anything about the game. MGS doesn't interest me either or I'd have bought that...and who gives a shit?

[quote name='sm00th_kw' post='680971' date='Jul 23 2008, 03:41 PM']It says in that article that Final Fantasy XI has already been on the 360, if it wasn't big news for FF XI, why/how is this big news now?

I could certainly be wrong...this may be the deathblow for PS3, but to me when I heard the announcment at E3 from 360 my reaction was "...and??? Oh, that's it?"

But this is coming from someone who could care less the game existed...[/quote]

FF 11 is an mmo online game, this is pretty different dont let the names fool you. PS3 killer? No PS3 will be around as the #3 system, but it will mean that less people will likely buy one that were going to buy it because of this game.

I watched the sony conference for E3 and when he kept going on and on about how titles came out later for the PS2, I couldnt help but laugh thinking "What you really mean is we have nothing worthwile coming out right now."

[quote name='sm00th_kw' post='680972' date='Jul 23 2008, 03:43 PM']1) Ain't Mario Bros. classic...

Does PS3 have MB classic?

2) Who gives a shit?

Well seing as FF is a major title for PS, a good number of people.

3) I'm not...nor have I ever heard or cared to hear anything about the game. MGS doesn't interest me either or I'd have bought that...and who gives a shit?

Your one person and you know nothing about the game anyway. See answer 2.[/quote]

You make me smile.

Also for those that asked come this fall you will be able to install any 360 game you want to directly to the drive, which will not only avoid having to switch disks between games like this, but will speed up load times.

[url="http://www.gamespot.com/features/6194093/index.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=multimodule&tag=multimodule;picks;title;3"]http://www.gamespot.com/features/6194093/i...e;picks;title;3[/url]

[quote]One of the not-so-cosmetic changes in the fall update will be the ability to let you play your games directly from the hard disk. The new feature will let users install all of the game content directly onto the hard drive to improve game load times.[/quote]

Archived