Dunn traded to Diamondbacks

CTA513

ctrent:

[quote]Reds receive Castillo
Thursday, August 14, 2008, 06:10 PM EST [Reds]

From the Reds:

CINCINNATI - The Cincinnati Reds today acquired from the Arizona Diamondbacks versatile C Wilkin Castillo as part of the Monday's trade in which they received RHP Dallas Buck and 2 players to be named later in exchange for OF Adam Dunn and cash.
The second player to be named has not been announced.

Castillo, 24, will be assigned to Class AAA Louisville. In 6 minor league seasons he is a career .283 hitter and 3 times batted .300, including .301 in rookie ball in 2003, .302 for Class A South Bend in 2005 and .302 for Class AA Mobile last year. This season in 104 games at Class AAA Tucson he hit .254 with 6 HR, 47 RBI and 4 stolen bases.

Castillo has appeared in 246 career games at catcher but also has played second base (23g), third base (50), shortstop (16g) and outfield (37g). This season at Tucson he appeared in 51 games behind the plate, 41 at third base, 7 in the outfield, 6 at shortstop and 4 at second base.

Buck, 24, this season went 1-4 with a 3.94 ERA in 9 games and 8 starts with Class A South Bend. Last Monday he was promoted to High Class A Visalia and made one appearance, pitching 5.0 shutout innings Thursday vs San Jose. He was assigned to Class A Sarasota.

Dunn batted .233 with 32 home runs and 74 RBI in 114 games with the Reds.[/quote]

• 4 weeks later...
[b]Reds get pitcher to complete Dunn deal[/b]
Dayton Daily News

Friday, September 12, 2008

The Reds acquired right-handed pitcher Micah Owings from the Arizona Diamondbacks today, Friday, Sept. 12, to complete the trade that sent outfielder Adam Dunn and cash to Arizona for right-handed pitcher Dallas Buck and two players to be named later.

Last month the Reds received utility player Wilkin Castillo.

Owings, 25, was 6-9 with a 5.93 ERA in 18 starts and four relief appearances for the D'Backs.

To make room on the 40-man Reds' roster, second baseman Brandon Phillips (broken right index finger) went on the 60-day disabled list.

[url="http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/pro/reds/2008/09/12/ddn091208redsweb.html"]http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/o...208redsweb.html[/url]

[quote name='BengalBacker' post='700171' date='Sep 12 2008, 06:39 PM'][b]Reds get pitcher to complete Dunn deal[/b]
Dayton Daily News

Friday, September 12, 2008

The Reds acquired right-handed pitcher Micah Owings from the Arizona Diamondbacks today, Friday, Sept. 12, to complete the trade that sent outfielder Adam Dunn and cash to Arizona for right-handed pitcher Dallas Buck and two players to be named later.

Last month the Reds received utility player Wilkin Castillo.

Owings, 25, was 6-9 with a 5.93 ERA in 18 starts and four relief appearances for the D'Backs.

To make room on the 40-man Reds' roster, second baseman Brandon Phillips (broken right index finger) went on the 60-day disabled list.

[url="http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/pro/reds/2008/09/12/ddn091208redsweb.html"]http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/o...208redsweb.html[/url][/quote]

Put him the roster huh....

Are they planning on putting him in th rotation before the end of the year>?

Arroyo is quietly putting together a good year...15-10 now.

Especially if you consider he started off 4-7, he is 11-3 since then.

So we have arroyo who is a 15 game winner.
Volquez has 16 wins.
Harang when on, which hopefully hell get back to next year is a 15 game winner easy.
Cueto while not playing great this year, is only a rookie and shows a lot of promise.

This pitching staff could be one of the better ones in the majors next year if those 4 can stay healthy and the young ones can continue to improve like they should.

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' post='701888' date='Sep 16 2008, 09:06 PM']Arroyo is quietly putting together a good year...15-10 now.

Especially if you consider he started off 4-7, he is 11-3 since then.

So we have arroyo who is a 15 game winner.
Volquez has 16 wins.
Harang when on, which hopefully hell get back to next year is a 15 game winner easy.
Cueto while not playing great this year, is only a rookie and shows a lot of promise.

This pitching staff could be one of the better ones in the majors next year if those 4 can stay healthy and the young ones can continue to improve like they should.[/quote]

And if the reds are smart enough to keep arroyo.

If we do keep him i agree.

I think we had a decent rotation this year. It was just our hitting was gawd awful.

But the 5th starter spot still raises a concern for 09'

[quote name='bgwilly31' post='702383' date='Sep 18 2008, 01:21 PM']And if the reds are smart enough to keep arroyo.

If we do keep him i agree.

I think we had a decent rotation this year. [b]It was just our hitting was gawd awful. [/b]

[b]But the 5th starter spot still raises a concern for 09'[/b][/quote]

As for the hitting, hopefully we spend some of that cash we saved on griffey and dunn to go out and get either through FA or trade a couple hitters that are actually hitters that can hit for power, rbis, and average instead of guys that just hit homers every so often like dunn and jr.

As for the 5th starter, yeah it raises a concern, but how many teams have a solid 5th pitcher already set out for next season? Hopefully Owings, Bailey, or one of the other guys reaches their potential, and if not maybe we'll sign a guy for a couple mil that can just go out and have like a 4.50 era and hopefully like a 12-8 record or something, which to me is good for a 5 pitcher.

I have high hopes for next year's rotation. Harang was rock bottom this year, and I initially wanted them to shut him down when they went through that huge slide, but now I'm happy he's using this time to get back into his groove. Yesterday was a huge positive sign.

Hopefully, next year Dusty won't let anybody throw on two days' rest and then again on three days' rest back to back. In fact, if he ever pulls something like that with anybody other than a trash-arm like Josh Fogg, I will probably strangle him.

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' post='702422' date='Sep 18 2008, 02:56 PM']As for the hitting, hopefully we spend some of that cash we saved on griffey and dunn to go out and get either through FA or trade a couple hitters that are actually hitters that can hit for power, rbis, and average instead of guys that just hit homers every so often like dunn and jr.

As for the 5th starter, yeah it raises a concern, but how many teams have a solid 5th pitcher already set out for next season? Hopefully Owings, Bailey, or one of the other guys reaches their potential, and if not maybe we'll sign a guy for a couple mil that can just go out and have like a 4.50 era and hopefully like a 12-8 record or something, which to me is good for a 5 pitcher.[/quote]

i agree. completely.

Hopefully dickerson keeps improving and earns a spot on the roster next year.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='702429' date='Sep 18 2008, 03:24 PM']we have like 4 or 5 high talent guys that will be fighting for the 5th spot in the rotation. im not concerned about it at all.[/quote]

As long as FOGG isnt one of the those 5 high talent guys. Than that will be just dandy.

[quote name='bgwilly31' post='702453' date='Sep 18 2008, 06:36 PM']i agree. completely.

As long as FOGG isnt one of the those 5 high talent guys. Than that will be just dandy.[/quote]

Well it appears we are agreeing on more things in this forum...now maybe the Bengals forum will be next...doubtful though. :D

[quote name='bgwilly31' post='702453' date='Sep 18 2008, 05:36 PM']i agree. completely.

[b]

As long as FOGG isnt one of the those 5 high talent guys. Than that will be just dandy.[/b][/quote]

off the top of my head we have:

Ramirez (looks real fuckin good), Thompson (who will only get better), Bailey (who was pitching much better at the end of the year in AAA), Livingston (who was good then had surgery and looks good again), Maloney (who might need a little more time), Owings (who is very talented and we have a tendency to fix pitchers here). Thats quite a bit of talent to fight for one spot and they are all young.

we might even be able to move a SP or two to add a bat. things are lookin good.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='702814' date='Sep 19 2008, 10:37 PM']off the top of my head we have:

Ramirez (looks real fuckin good), Thompson (who will only get better), Bailey (who was pitching much better at the end of the year in AAA), Livingston (who was good then had surgery and looks good again), Maloney (who might need a little more time), Owings (who is very talented and we have a tendency to fix pitchers here). Thats quite a bit of talent to fight for one spot and they are all young.

we might even be able to move a SP or two to add a bat. things are lookin good.[/quote]

yea I'd definately like to see one of them moved for a bat, or see if Owings can be an every day guy.

What do people think of this?

First - Edwin
Second - Phillips
Short - Hairston
Third - Keppinger
LF - Votto
CF - Dickerson
RF - Bruce
C - trade for or sign one. (Pudge?)

Rotation: Harang, Arroyo, Volquez, Cueto, Ramirez

Bench: Castillo, Hanningan, Cabrera, lefty bat, take your pick infielder

Bullpen: Bray, Burton, Cordero, Lincoln, Masset, Owings, another lefty

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='702849' date='Sep 20 2008, 10:34 AM']yea I'd definately like to see one of them moved for a bat, or see if Owings can be an every day guy.

First - Edwin
Second - Phillips
Short - Hairston
Third - Keppinger
LF - Votto
CF - Dickerson
RF - Bruce

Bullpen: Bray, Burton, Cordero, Lincoln, Masset, Owings, another lefty[/quote]

I mean that team looks decent as is...but at the same point we have 30 some mil that we arent paying JR and Dunn, we really need to go out and spend it on a couple offensive upgrades. Guys that hit .300 30 homers and 100 rbis. There is no reason we couldnt afford 2 guys like that, and if some how we did get two guys like that our team would be sick. Hopefully the management goes out and makes some deals, because if this team has 2 solid hitters at any position added to the young core we already have, the sky is the limit.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='702849' date='Sep 20 2008, 09:34 AM']yea I'd definately like to see one of them moved for a bat, or see if Owings can be an every day guy.

First - Edwin
Second - Phillips
Short - Hairston
Third - Keppinger
LF - Votto
CF - Dickerson
RF - Bruce

Bullpen: Bray, Burton, Cordero, Lincoln, Masset, Owings, another lefty[/quote]

Hannigan as starting catcher plus our pitchers like him and he works really well with them. new 3B, i dont want keppinger everyday. gonzo better be our SS, not hairston. we need a healthy gonzo at SS or we need to find a new SS.

Owings can pitch. Dont try to waste moving him to a position. Just fix his problems cuz he has good stuff.

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' post='702850' date='Sep 20 2008, 09:53 AM']I mean that team looks decent as is...[b]but at the same point we have 30 some mil that we arent paying JR and Dunn[/b], we really need to go out and spend it on a couple offensive upgrades. Guys that hit .300 30 homers and 100 rbis. There is no reason we couldnt afford 2 guys like that, and if some how we did get two guys like that our team would be sick. Hopefully the management goes out and makes some deals, because if this team has 2 solid hitters at any position added to the young core we already have, the sky is the limit.[/quote]

we really dont. go look at the raises that are being given from the 08 to the 09 contracts. if we stay at the same payroll as this past year we have about 10 mill max.

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='702853' date='Sep 20 2008, 10:15 AM']Hannigan as starting catcher plus our pitchers like him and he works really well with them. new 3B, i dont want keppinger everyday. gonzo better be our SS, not hairston. we need a healthy gonzo at SS or we need to find a new SS.

Owings can pitch. Dont try to waste moving him to a position. Just fix his problems cuz he has good stuff.

we really dont. go look at the raises that are being given from the 08 to the 09 contracts. if we stay at the same payroll as this past year we have about 10 mill max.[/quote]

you can't keep keppinger's bat out of the lineup. That's just silly. Not sold on Haningan yet, and Gonzo is awful offensively, if he even comes back the same at all. His speed may be shot. Hairston is also a vet that can lead.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='702892' date='Sep 20 2008, 05:02 PM']you can't keep keppinger's bat out of the lineup. That's just silly. Not sold on Haningan yet, and Gonzo is awful offensively, if he even comes back the same at all. His speed may be shot. Hairston is also a vet that can lead.[/quote]
Gonzos bat was pretty damn solid for us when he was playing.

kepps bat lmao. he has shown no talent since coming back from injury. he has had more than enough time to get back into a groove. i want him MAX as a super sub.

I for one see some light at the end of this tunnel. It's clear the Reds are a better ballclub now than they were earlier in the year. I just hope this isn't one of those "look how good we are now" deals late in the year that give us fans false hope, only to be let down next season.

The pitching really seems to be humming along though. Add a couple righty power bats and we may see the top of the division yet.

It's also really fun ruining the Brewer's season...like they did to us in 1999....karma baby!

[quote name='Bunghole' post='702944' date='Sep 20 2008, 10:40 PM']It's also really fun ruining the Brewer's season...like they did to us in 1999....karma baby![/quote]

That's what I was thinking. It's great seeing all their fans walk around at Oktoberfest with sad Brewer frowns on - I can finally give up that grudge. Which is good, because I can go back to funnelling all my hatred towards the cubs. Somewhere, Pete Harnisch is smiling.

I will NEVER forgive Al Leiter, though.

[quote name='Go Tory Go!' post='703018' date='Sep 21 2008, 10:44 AM']That's what I was thinking. It's great seeing all their fans walk around at Oktoberfest with sad Brewer frowns on - I can finally give up that grudge. Which is good, because I can go back to funnelling all my hatred towards the cubs. Somewhere, Pete Harnisch is smiling.

[b]I will NEVER forgive Al Leiter, though[/b].[/quote]
Ha, me neither. I was at that game. I recall seeing his record on teh scoreboard, thining "we've got this" and then he magically transformed into Cy Young for one game.

Archived