Chick says "The Bengals anticipate a long and arguably agonizing holdout from first-round draft pick Andre Smith."

[quote name='sparky151' post='741346' date='Jun 22 2009, 11:00 PM']If you want an example of a Bengals high draft pick seriously damaging his career with a rookie holdout, see our top pick from 10 years ago.[/quote]
The man with the same first initial and last name as this year's first rounder

A. Smith

:panicbutton:

[quote name='Jason' post='741225' date='Jun 22 2009, 10:05 AM']I think they have the extra guy because they anticipate the long hold out.[/quote]

I would think they at least anticipating not signing him until at the best a week before camp. Why cut a guy when you know you are going to wait that long? Though I don't think any one will be surprised if he does hold out.

[quote name='happyrid' post='741307' date='Jun 22 2009, 05:55 PM']Whether people want to admit it or not, the Bengals have one of the worst histories of holdouts of any team in the NFL. Pretty much every year, it seems like negotiations don't begin in earnest until a couple days before the start of training camp. Sometimes they get the done right before camp. Sometimes guys miss half the camp. Sometimes they miss the whole thing.

[b]I am of the opinion that David Pollack's career may very well have ended up different if he didn't miss the entire training camp that would have really helped in his transition to LB. He just seemed to get behind the eight ball and never able to get ahead of the curve. [/b]

Having Collins makes this maybe not the hugest deal in the world, but it is still frustrating to know that it will likely be a holdout and overshadow much of training camp.[/quote]

Come on man. One, he was really coming on at the end of the 1st season. He got hurt in his second season, so I don't think the 3 weeks of his rookie year hurt him that much. Plus, if he didn't know how to tackle right coming in, was he ever gonna learn?

[quote name='kennethmw' post='741315' date='Jun 22 2009, 07:36 PM']Yeah, I can see how the Bengals could have worked on teaching him to tackle properly, if they had only had those three weeks! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: .

and lets look at the holdouts:

Last year, linebacker Keith Rivers missed ten days.

In 2007, cornerback Leon Hall missed a practice before getting his deal done.

In 2006, cornerback Johnathan Joseph signed on the first day of training camp.

In 2005, linebacker David Pollack missed nearly three weeks.

In 2004, running back Chris Perry missed more than 10 days.

In 2002, tackle Levi Jones signed on the first day of camp.

In 2001, defensive end Justin Smith missed all of training camp and the preseason.

The sole exception was quarterback Carson Palmer, who signed before the draft as the first overall pick.

4 of the 8 signed either before or on the first day.
2 guys missed 10 days.
2 guys mised more than 10 days, with Smith missing all of preseason and following that with the best season of his career.

I guess where I come from that means that holding out doesn't mean much, now does it?[/quote]

well all that these facts do is could a perfectly flawed and pointless argument started solely to bitch about something that doesnt exist..

is that REALLY want we want? what kind of message board would this be with common sense and facts being thrown around all the time?

Will the looming uncapped year(s) work for or against us in these negotiaitions? I would think that no salary cap would leave us more inclined to throw in an extra million or two down the road that they wouldn't have in the past since they had to plan to make it fit under the cap in 4-5 years. Which should help get him in on time.

Archived