2010 Uncapped year rules

Ok so everyone knows about the no ceiling and no floor parts of the uncapped year, but I caught a few other rule changes while Goodell was on Mike & Mike this morning:

You will be able to franchise 2 players each year instead of 1.

You won't be able to sign another teams free agent unless you lose one of your own (in other words if you lose 5 free agents, you can only sign 5 free agents from other teams)

Has anyone else heard/read any of the other changes? There was 1 or 2 more I didn't catch that he mentioned.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='766836' date='Apr 24 2009, 09:40 AM']Ok so everyone knows about the no ceiling and no floor parts of the uncapped year, but I caught a few other rule changes while Goodell was on Mike & Mike this morning:

You won't be able to sign another teams free agent unless you lose one of your own (in other words if you lose 5 free agents, you can only sign 5 free agents from other teams)

Has anyone else heard/read any of the other changes? There was 1 or 2 more I didn't catch that he mentioned.[/quote]

The part about being limited to adding free agents equal in number to departing free agents only applies to the last 8 teams in the playoffs. The uncapped year won't hurt the Bengals particularly since we're not spending to the cap anyway. Washington and Dallas will probably get some good free agents but with the extra tags the marketplace might be barren. What would hurt the Bengals are changes to the revenue sharing rules, since the other teams basically support the Bengals and elimination of the draft since if rookies could sign with the team of their choice, Cincinnati wouldn't be a highly desired destination.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='766836' date='Apr 24 2009, 09:40 AM']Ok so everyone knows about the no ceiling and no floor parts of the uncapped year, but I caught a few other rule changes while Goodell was on Mike & Mike this morning:

Has anyone else heard/read any of the other changes? There was 1 or 2 more I didn't catch that he mentioned.[/quote]

The only other thing I remember is the 6 years to be a UFA. Guys coming up on 4 will likely be pissed. And I dont understand how the FA thing can work. How could anyone sign a FA to start the process?

[quote name='globetrotter' post='766925' date='Apr 24 2009, 10:40 AM']The only other thing I remember is the 6 years to be a UFA. Guys coming up on 4 will likely be pissed. And I dont understand how the FA thing can work. How could anyone sign a FA to start the process?[/quote]

id assume there would be a cut off date for FA.. on that date teams would release players or palyers would leave.. at that point, you could only sign anyone if you lost someone already..

[quote name='scharm' post='767291' date='Apr 24 2009, 10:28 PM']Uncapped year with all those rules would not be so scary and if I'm Mike Brown I'm not in a hurry to rush into a CBA unless revenue sharing is hashed out.[/quote]

it would only slow down the hoarding.. everytime the cowboys let go a 5th round FA they could sign a blockbuster one.

maybe they only sign 1-2 blockbuster guys per offseason.. but thats 4-5 years away from being the yankees (even tho they been lately)

a CBA needs to be in place to preserve the competitiveness.. ESPECIALLY with the economy headed where it is..

big cities can afford to support a team much easier than small cities.. even with the same amount of high salary citizens there are obvious many more to spend..

Archived