My Mock Draft (final version)

Assuming a 3rd round comp.

[b]Round 1: Brandon LaFell, WR, LSU[/b]

[quote][b]Height: 6-3 | Weight: 206[/b] | 40-Time: 4.55
Brandon LaFell | L.S.U. Tigers

Strengths:
[b]Excellent height and bulk --- Smooth athlete --- Super aggressive and competitive --- Tough, powerful and physical --- Good leaping ability with nice body control and ball skills --- Strong hands --- Will snatch passes out of the air [/b]--- A polished route runner who knows how to get open --- Will work the middle of the field --- Good vision --- Runs hard after the catch and will break tackles --- No trouble getting off the line / beating the jam --- Terrific blocker --- Big play threat who plays faster than he times --- Durable --- Productive --- A lot of quality experience.

Weaknesses:
Average timed speed and quickness --- Lacks a burst --- Inconsistent concentration and will drop some balls --- Small hands --- Does not get a lot of separation --- Can he get vertical against pro corners? --- Not very elusive --- Poor balance --- Questionable work ethic --- Immature.

Notes:
A three-year starter for the Bayou Bengals --- Named 1st Team All-SEC in 2008 and 2nd Team in 2009 --- Initially entered the 2009 NFL Draft but changed his mind and returned for senior season --- Ranks in the Top 5 in school history in career receiving yards (5th), receptions (3rd) and touchdowns (2nd) --- Caught at least one pass in 41 consecutive games to close out his college career --- Led the Tigers in receiving three years in a row (2007, 2008, 2009) --- [b]Dwayne Bowe clone with a well-rounded game and the potential to be a true #1 target in the NFL[/b][/quote]

Rationale: IMO, we need a big physical WR more than a small, speedy deep threat. LaFell has the moves to get separation from defenders. Get Coffman involved in the gameplan, develop Cosby as a slot WR, and turn Caldwell back into more of a WR that can take advantage of his speed rather than him trying to be a physical TJ clone.

[b]Round 2: Mike Johnson, OG, Alabama Height: 6-6. Weight: 305 [/b]

Rationale: I don't mind Whit at LT for the most part, and honestly I don't see the Bengals moving him back to LG. I wouldn't mind LT Anthony Davis of Rutgers in Round 1 if he was still there, but likely won't. Like I said though, I don't see them moving Whit unless Collins takes a giant step forward. Johnson could learn behind Mathis, allowing Livings to move to RG (where he's a better fit as a better run blocker than pass blocker) as either the starter or Bobbie's heir apparent.

[b]Round 3: Myron Lewis, FS, Vanderbilt Height: 6-2. Weight: 205 [/b]

Rationale: You could make a case for a SS over FS at safety, but I lean FS. I think Roy will be back at SS and Crocker will be back for 2 more years at FS. I really like Chinny's development this year at SS. If Nelson develops into anything (and I like him to stay over Hebert) it will be a SS. Lewis would be groomed to replace Crocker at FS.

[b]
Round 3 comp: Kavell Conner, Clemson Height: 6-1. Weight: 235[/b]

Rationale: Continue to stock the LB corp with talent. Not sure what they'll do next year as far as personnel. I could see either Rey or Rivers moving inside, or I could see Dhani starting another year at MLB. Brandon Johnson's play has earned him a chance to be a starter. Many different ways they could go, but they still need to add talent. Hodge is an unknown, don't think Jeanty has the talent to ever be a regular starter. Conner has playmaker ability and could possibly play any of the three spots.

[b]
Round 4: Dennis Pitta, TE, BYU Height: 6-5 | Weight: 247[/b]

Rationale: Excellent pass catching TE, has experience blocking in a BYU offense that averaged 480 rushing attempts over the last two years. Utecht is gone, Kelly likely isn't back, Coates shouldn't be back. The trio will be Foschi/Coffman/Pitta. Darkhorse will be Darius Hill developing in the offseason.
[b]
Round 5: Hunter Lawrence, Texas Height: 6-0. Weight: 180[/b]

Rationale: Don't think Shayne will be back. Don't have any problem taking a kicker this high to get the one you want. They did it last year with punter.

Rounds 6-7: DE depth to push Frostee for a spot, a change of pace RB for the practice squad, more LB prospects.

Not a big LaFell fan. I think he can be a decent receiver but nothing special. Would rather have Tate, Benn or Williams. Also not a Mike Johnson fan. He was embarrassed on a regular basis against Texas. Looking more like a 4th or 5th round pick.

[quote name='akiliMVP' date='11 January 2010 - 11:40 PM' timestamp='1263271227' post='856417']
Not a big LaFell fan. I think he can be a decent receiver but nothing special. Would rather have Tate, Benn or Williams. Also not a Mike Johnson fan. He was embarrassed on a regular basis against Texas. Looking more like a 4th or 5th round pick.
[/quote]

you can't judge a guy just on one game.

[quote name='Jason' date='12 January 2010 - 07:30 AM' timestamp='1263299402' post='856453']
I prefer a veteran kicker to a rookie, but other than that, I like it.
[/quote]

true. In a perfect world we'd pick Tony Scheffler and Matt Stover in free agency and not have to draft a TE or K. But I did this draft ignoring what may or may not happen in free agency.

[quote name='Scoutforlife591' date='15 January 2010 - 08:51 PM' timestamp='1263606707' post='857528']
I generally like this draft.

I bet they take a kicker and sign a FA and let them battle.

[b]But where is Coates from again? Just sayin'[/b]
[/quote]

ha, because that means anything?

• 1 month later...
might as well do another quick mock before the combine gets into full swing tomorrow.

[b]Round 1: Jermaine Gresham, TE Oklahoma[/b]

[u]Why and why the change? [/u] While I don't know that I would take a TE here, the Bengals certainly need playmakers early and Gresham offers more value than any of the WR's available at this spot. I think they would jump all over Sergio Kindle to be there SLB if he slips to here, but I don't think he will. I think they'll like Mays, but he's not a better value than Gresham at this spot though.

[u]Other options? [/u] Sergio Kindle, Taylor Mays, a WR (Thomas/Lafell/Benn)

[b]Round 2: Morgan Burnett, FS Georgia Tech[/b]

[u]Why and why the change?[/u] Mays is more of the athlete and the bigger name, but Burnett is arguably the best free safety in the draft. He may not make it this long, but he's great value if he does and could supplant Crocker at FS by years end. I don't dislike Mike Johnson, but I think the Bengals will look to draft guard depth in rounds 3-5. They don't need an immediate starter IMO unless Bobbie doesn't resign.

[u]Other options?[/u] Riley Cooper, Carlton Mitchell, or any number of WR's would be good value here

[b]Round 3: Jordan Shipley, WR Texas[/b]

[u]Why and why the change?[/u] Took a safety in the 2nd, so don't need one here. I'll admit, Shipley probably won't last this long. If he does however, he's extremely great value. Has enough speed and probably the best route runner in the draft, great hands too. He offers immediate help at the WR position and would likely replace Cosby as PR. I really like Cosby, but Shipley offers much more at the WR position. He's shorter than I'd like, but we can get to that later.

[b]Round 3 comp: Kavell Connor, LB Clemson[/b]

No change. Continue to stock the LB corp with talent.

[b]Round 4: Mitch Petrus, OG Arkansas[/b]

[u]Why and why the change?[/u] Grabbed TE earlier, here's where you get your guard depth.

[b]Round 5: Stephen Williams, WR Toledo[/b]

[u]Why and why the change?[/u] I'm not sure the Bengals will take two WR's, but if they do Stephen Williams is a guy that can give them what Chris Henry did. He's big, he's physical, he can get the jump ball and be a redzone threat, and has the speed to be a deep threat. He's a bit raw, which is why he's a 5th rounder here. Some think he may be a slight reach here, but you can teach size and speed. Take him a round early to make sure you get him. Williams has the size and speed they love, Shipley has the results they need. Perfect combo.

[b]Round 6: Clifton Geathers, DE South Carolina[/b]

[u]Why?[/u] Robert Geathers little brother isn't so little! 6'9" 280lbs with great strength. He can replace Frostee's role on the team, and IMO may even be an option to convert from a DE to a DT.

[b]Round 7: BPA,[/b]

Preferably CB or LB depth for the practice squad.

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='11 January 2010 - 09:06 PM' timestamp='1263261964' post='856361']
Assuming a 3rd round comp.

[b]Round 1: Brandon LaFell, WR, LSU[/b]

Rationale: IMO, we need a big physical WR more than a small, speedy deep threat. LaFell has the moves to get separation from defenders. Get Coffman involved in the gameplan, develop Cosby as a slot WR, and turn Caldwell back into more of a WR that can take advantage of his speed rather than him trying to be a physical TJ clone.

[b]Round 2: Mike Johnson, OG, Alabama Height: 6-6. Weight: 305 [/b]

Rationale: I don't mind Whit at LT for the most part, and honestly I don't see the Bengals moving him back to LG. I wouldn't mind LT Anthony Davis of Rutgers in Round 1 if he was still there, but likely won't. Like I said though, I don't see them moving Whit unless Collins takes a giant step forward. Johnson could learn behind Mathis, allowing Livings to move to RG (where he's a better fit as a better run blocker than pass blocker) as either the starter or Bobbie's heir apparent.

[b]Round 3: Myron Lewis, FS, Vanderbilt Height: 6-2. Weight: 205 [/b]

Rationale: You could make a case for a SS over FS at safety, but I lean FS. I think Roy will be back at SS and Crocker will be back for 2 more years at FS. I really like Chinny's development this year at SS. If Nelson develops into anything (and I like him to stay over Hebert) it will be a SS. Lewis would be groomed to replace Crocker at FS.

[b]
Round 3 comp: Kavell Conner, Clemson Height: 6-1. Weight: 235[/b]

Rationale: Continue to stock the LB corp with talent. Not sure what they'll do next year as far as personnel. I could see either Rey or Rivers moving inside, or I could see Dhani starting another year at MLB. Brandon Johnson's play has earned him a chance to be a starter. Many different ways they could go, but they still need to add talent. Hodge is an unknown, don't think Jeanty has the talent to ever be a regular starter. Conner has playmaker ability and could possibly play any of the three spots.

[b]
Round 4: Dennis Pitta, TE, BYU Height: 6-5 | Weight: 247[/b]

Rationale: Excellent pass catching TE, has experience blocking in a BYU offense that averaged 480 rushing attempts over the last two years. Utecht is gone, Kelly likely isn't back, Coates shouldn't be back. The trio will be Foschi/Coffman/Pitta. Darkhorse will be Darius Hill developing in the offseason.
[b]
Round 5: Hunter Lawrence, Texas Height: 6-0. Weight: 180[/b]

Rationale: Don't think Shayne will be back. Don't have any problem taking a kicker this high to get the one you want. They did it last year with punter.

Rounds 6-7: DE depth to push Frostee for a spot, a change of pace RB for the practice squad, more LB prospects.
[/quote]

i love this draft. and im high on pitta but he won't last that long we'll have to get him in round 3

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='26 February 2010 - 10:35 PM' timestamp='1267241737' post='865743']
might as well do another quick mock before the combine gets into full swing tomorrow.

[b]Round 1: Jermaine Gresham, TE Oklahoma[/b]

[u]Why and why the change? [/u] While I don't know that I would take a TE here, the Bengals certainly need playmakers early and Gresham offers more value than any of the WR's available at this spot. I think they would jump all over Sergio Kindle to be there SLB if he slips to here, but I don't think he will. I think they'll like Mays, but he's not a better value than Gresham at this spot though.

[u]Other options? [/u] Sergio Kindle, Taylor Mays, a WR (Thomas/Lafell/Benn)

[b]Round 2: Morgan Burnett, FS Georgia Tech[/b]

[u]Why and why the change?[/u] Mays is more of the athlete and the bigger name, but Burnett is arguably the best free safety in the draft. He may not make it this long, but he's great value if he does and could supplant Crocker at FS by years end. I don't dislike Mike Johnson, but I think the Bengals will look to draft guard depth in rounds 3-5. They don't need an immediate starter IMO unless Bobbie doesn't resign.

[u]Other options?[/u] Riley Cooper, Carlton Mitchell, or any number of WR's would be good value here

[b]Round 3: Jordan Shipley, WR Texas[/b]

[u]Why and why the change?[/u] Took a safety in the 2nd, so don't need one here. I'll admit, Shipley probably won't last this long. If he does however, he's extremely great value. Has enough speed and probably the best route runner in the draft, great hands too. He offers immediate help at the WR position and would likely replace Cosby as PR. I really like Cosby, but Shipley offers much more at the WR position. He's shorter than I'd like, but we can get to that later.

[b]Round 3 comp: Kavell Connor, LB Clemson[/b]

No change. Continue to stock the LB corp with talent.

[b]Round 4: Mitch Petrus, OG Arkansas[/b]

[u]Why and why the change?[/u] Grabbed TE earlier, here's where you get your guard depth.

[b]Round 5: Stephen Williams, WR Toledo[/b]

[u]Why and why the change?[/u] I'm not sure the Bengals will take two WR's, but if they do Stephen Williams is a guy that can give them what Chris Henry did. He's big, he's physical, he can get the jump ball and be a redzone threat, and has the speed to be a deep threat. He's a bit raw, which is why he's a 5th rounder here. Some think he may be a slight reach here, but you can teach size and speed. Take him a round early to make sure you get him. Williams has the size and speed they love, Shipley has the results they need. Perfect combo.

[b]Round 6: Clifton Geathers, DE South Carolina[/b]

[u]Why?[/u] Robert Geathers little brother isn't so little! 6'9" 280lbs with great strength. He can replace Frostee's role on the team, and IMO may even be an option to convert from a DE to a DT.

[b]Round 7: BPA,[/b]

Preferably CB or LB depth for the practice squad.
[/quote]

Id take that draft....its pretty good...
Id llikek to see the team draft a power back in case Benson goes down..

what the hell, here's another one:

Free agency: TO, Bobbie, Tank, Roy, Chris Baker/Reggie Kelly

[b]Round 1: Sergio Kindle, OLB, Texas[/b]

Marvin says we won't take an LB early. I say that's not something he'd honestly say in the media. Both Lewis and Zimmer want to continue to upgrade the pass rush, Kindle does that and allows you to move Rey inside where he belongs. Marvin gets another chance at getting his new Peter Boulware. Won't lie, he may not be here. If not, look for Taylor Mays to be the pick. Signing TO takes some pressure off the passing game and makes a TE/WR not a necessity here. Bengals are stacked at LB with Kindle/Rey/Rivers/BJ/Dhani.

[b]Round 2: Rob Gronkowski, TE, Arizona[/b]

His injury history concerns me, but when healthy he may be the most complete TE in the draft. Reminds you of Heath Miller. I originally took a FS here, but with Crocker having 2 years left I could see them not using a high pick just yet on one.

[b]Round 3: Myron Lewis, CB, Vanderbilt[/b]

Provides more CB depth and would help the possibilities of my favorite idea, turning Morgan Trent into a free safety (which really doesn't have much possibility).

[b]Round 3 comp: Dorin Dickerson, WR, Pittsburgh[/b]

His future in the NFL is as a WR. He has elite size at 6'4 226lbs and showed great straight line speed and change of direction speed at the combine. Also a solid blocker, which the Bengals would love. He'll have to polish his route running out of the WR position, but he'll have time to learn behind Chad and TO. With good progression, will challenge Caldwell for the #2 spot by year two after TO's one year deal. Has the physical tools to be a #1 down the road.

[b]Round 4: John Jerry, OG, Ole Miss[/b]

Guard depth, possible successor to Bobbie at RG.

[b]Round 5: Clifton Geathers, DE, South Carolina[/b]

A monster waiting to happen. Just needs direction. Already monster size at 6'7 299lbs. As the 5th DE here, he'll have time to develop though personally I think he may have a future at DT in the John Henderson mold.

[b]Round 6: Kendrick Lewis, FS, Ole Miss[/b]

I'd really like to take WR Stephen Williams here, but I think he'd have a hard time making the final roster with TO and Dickerson in the mix and would be exposed on the practice squad. Lewis is a solid safety that may slide a round or so due to a deep draft class, particularly at safety.

[b]Round 7: Jason Beuchamp, LB, UNLV[/b]

LB depth, probably practice squad

I'd be pretty upset if they waited until the round 3 comp to take a receiver. Dickerson is 6'1 too by the way and did not look good at the Senior Bowl. I'd rather have someone like Carlton Mitchell with the 1st 3rd round pick in this scenario. I do see Kindle being gone by the time we pick as well but it's possible I guess.

[quote name='akiliMVP' date='07 March 2010 - 11:24 PM' timestamp='1268022288' post='868235']
I'd be pretty upset if they waited until the round 3 comp to take a receiver. [b]Dickerson is 6'1 too by the way and did not look good at the Senior Bowl. [/b]I'd rather have someone like Carlton Mitchell with the 1st 3rd round pick in this scenario. I do see Kindle being gone by the time we pick as well but it's possible I guess.
[/quote]

you keep saying that, but every website is listing 6'4", including the official combine website. Even if its true, he still is in the mold of a Dwayne Bowe/Boldin/TO type of WR but with less experience. Give him a year to learn from Chad and TO and then let him start competing for a starting spot.

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='08 March 2010 - 07:44 AM' timestamp='1268052281' post='868252']
you keep saying that, but every website is listing 6'4", including the official combine website. Even if its true, he still is in the mold of a Dwayne Bowe/Boldin/TO type of WR but with less experience. Give him a year to learn from Chad and TO and then let him start competing for a starting spot.
[/quote]
Uhhhh Dorin Dickerson is listed as 6'1 3/8 everywhere but NFL.com. He was listed as 6'2 on his official college bio. I really doubt they would list him 2 inches shorter than he was. NFL.com is wrong. I think they got Dickerson and Dickson mixed up.

He put up great workout numbers but they don't translate all that well to the field. He couldn't get any separation at the Senior Bowl and looked extremely average.

I'd hate the only "receiver" we took is a converted tight end.

[quote name='akiliMVP' date='08 March 2010 - 08:31 AM' timestamp='1268055093' post='868264']
Uhhhh Dorin Dickerson is listed as 6'1 3/8 everywhere but NFL.com. He was listed as 6'2 on his official college bio. I really doubt they would list him 2 inches shorter than he was. NFL.com is wrong. I think they got Dickerson and Dickson mixed up.

He put up great workout numbers but they don't translate all that well to the field. He couldn't get any separation at the Senior Bowl and looked extremely average.

I'd hate the only "receiver" we took is a converted tight end.
[/quote]

lol no, you hate that it involves TO.

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='08 March 2010 - 10:20 AM' timestamp='1268061619' post='868317']
lol no, you hate that it involves TO.
[/quote]
No I didn't say anything about TO. I am annoyed that you want to refute Dickerson being 6'1 when every single site on the internet except NFL.com has him listed as such.

Not to mention he sucked at the Senior Bowl and is a college tight end who will have to learn a new position.

I haven't mentioned TO in this thread once but since you want to bring it up yes I do not like that old washed up drama queen and would be quite upset if we wasted a roster spot on his cancerous old ass.

its a slow day:

[b]Round 1: FS Taylor Mays[/b] - I trust in Zimmer, and we have the luxury that he doesn't need to start right away and can learn from Zimmer, Roy, etc..

[b]Round 2: TE Rob Gronkowski[/b] - Closest thing you'll find to Heath Miller if he's healthy. If he's not there, I think the Bengals will gladly take TE Anthony McCoy.

[b]Round 3: WR Riley Cooper[/b] - Tough to choose here. Honestly, I think you could go with any number of big WR's you can develop behind Chad and Bryant: Carlton Mitchell, David Gettis, Marcus Easley are all realistic choices. Give Cooper the edge based on high character, intelligence, and athleticism (he's also a highly touted baseball player)

[b]Round 3 comp: OG John Jerry[/b] - guard depth, Bobbie's successor. Mike Johnson from Alabama is also an option here.

[b]Round 4: CB Chris Cook[/b] - Zimmer has mentioned him by name in an interview, so you know he's on their radar. May not last this long though.

[b]Round 5: DE Clifton Geathers[/b] - has the body, just needs the direction and molding.

[b]Round 6: RB Keiland Williams[/b] - probably won't make the team with Leonard being so valuable, but a bigger back is needed somewhere in the system. Should stick on the practice squad.

[b]Round 7: LB Jason Beuchamp, LB[/b] - depth purposes, need a LB on the practice squad.

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='11 March 2010 - 06:16 PM' timestamp='1268349395' post='869797']
its a slow day:

[b]Round 1: FS Taylor Mays[/b] - I trust in Zimmer, and we have the luxury that he doesn't need to start right away and can learn from Zimmer, Roy, etc..

[b]Round 2: TE Rob Gronkowski[/b] - Closest thing you'll find to Heath Miller if he's healthy. If he's not there, I think the Bengals will gladly take TE Anthony McCoy.

[b]Round 3: WR Riley Cooper[/b] - Tough to choose here. Honestly, I think you could go with any number of big WR's you can develop behind Chad and Bryant: Carlton Mitchell, David Gettis, Marcus Easley are all realistic choices. Give Cooper the edge based on high character, intelligence, and athleticism (he's also a highly touted baseball player)

[b]Round 3 comp: OG John Jerry[/b] - guard depth, Bobbie's successor. Mike Johnson from Alabama is also an option here.

[b]Round 4: CB Chris Cook[/b] - Zimmer has mentioned him by name in an interview, so you know he's on their radar. May not last this long though.

[b]Round 5: DE Clifton Geathers[/b] - has the body, just needs the direction and molding.

[b]Round 6: RB Keiland Williams[/b] - probably won't make the team with Leonard being so valuable, but a bigger back is needed somewhere in the system. Should stick on the practice squad.

[b]Round 7: LB Jason Beuchamp, LB[/b] - depth purposes, need a LB on the practice squad.
[/quote]
Man I really don't like Mays as a prospect. He is big and fast and all that jazz but I'm not much interested in a safety who has no ball skills and isn't a good tackler. It is a realistic pick though and I hope if they make it he can improve drastically.

[quote name='akiliMVP' date='11 March 2010 - 06:30 PM' timestamp='1268350229' post='869800']
Man I really don't like Mays as a prospect. He is big and fast and all that jazz but I'm not much interested in a safety who has no ball skills and isn't a good tackler. It is a realistic pick though and I hope if they make it he can improve drastically.
[/quote]

think Chris Cook will last that long?

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='12 March 2010 - 09:51 AM' timestamp='1268405483' post='869969']
think Chris Cook will last that long?
[/quote]
Nah his stock has been soaring. Great Senior Bowl, great combine. I think he could end up being a late 2nd round pick to a team like the Ravens or Packers. Latest probably mid 3rd round.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='akiliMVP' date='13 March 2010 - 09:33 PM' timestamp='1268530390' post='870351']
Nah his stock has been soaring. Great Senior Bowl, great combine. I think he could end up being a late 2nd round pick to a team like the Ravens or Packers. Latest probably mid 3rd round.
[/quote]

apparently he half-assed his pro day last week.

• 2 weeks later...
wasn't planning on another mock until right before the draft, but I'll do one now as I think this is somewhat close to what my final mock will be:

[b]Round 1:[/b] OG Mike Iupati, Idaho - Personally, I don't like taking a guard this high, but I don't think the coaches will blink an eye as far as building a dominant oline for Benson and Palmer. LG is the only position on the team where a rookie could start on opening day. [i]Other strong possibilities are Gresham, Mays or Pouncey.[/i]

[b]Round 2:[/b] TE Rob Gronkowski, Arizona - When healthy, the most well rounded TE in the draft IMO. Reminds me of Heath Miller. Could go higher, but I think just enough teams will be scared off for him to be there at #54. [i]Other strong possibilities: Morgan Burnett, a CB, Mike Johnson (if Iupati not taken) or Damian Williams/LaFell (if they've given up on Simpson)[/i]

[b]Round 3:[/b] CB Chris Cook, Virginia - Zimmer his high on him and he'd be a solid CB pick at this point. Also has potential at FS. IMO he'd be the 3rd or 4th CB initially and Crocker's future replacement at FS.

[b]Round 3 comp: [/b] CB Akwasi Owusu-Ansah, IUP - A solid small school CB who drops due to a recent shoulder injury he's recovering from. As the Bengals like to do with comp picks, he won't be relied on to do too much his first year but should be an instant upgrade of Rico Murray.

[b]Round 4:[/b] FS Kam Chancellor, Virginia Tech - yes, a 3rd straight secondary pick. A slightly above average free safety in the passing game plus his size makes him a great candidate to [i]switch to strong safety[/i]. Roy isn't a longterm answer and Ndukwe isn't awesome. Immediately replaces Hebert as the special teams safety and has the size to be a weapon for Zimmer in the nickel package.

[b]Round 4 comp:[/b] DT Doug Worthington, Ohio State - While I think McDonald has a real shot to make the team, I see them taking a DT somewhere after the 3rd round if nothing else for the practice squad to replace McDonald. Worthington wouldn't last on the PS, but would be great value here.

[b]Round 5:[/b] OLB Dekoda Watson, Florida State - more LB depth. Jeanty is a favorite among coaches and players, but he's not a starter. A longterm SLB is needed. Watson would have gone higher but will be hurt by being involved in the cheating scandal and injuries. A potential steal.

[b]Round 6:[/b] RB Keiland Williams, LSU - the Bengals need a "big back" as insurance in case something happens to Benson. Williams is the perfect fit as someone who's got the potential to be an NFL back, but is low enough that he'd be safe on the practice squad.

[b]Round 7: [/b] WR Dustin Woods, Miami OH - I think the Bengals are mostly set at WR with Chad/Bryant/Jones/Caldwell/Cosby and either Simpson or Brown. Hence, no early WR pick. I do think they take at least one WR late to groom on the practice squad. Woods would have been one of the fastest WR's at the combine and could be a dynamic return man and future slot WR and replacement for Cosby.

Typical of a Bengals draft, slightly boom or bust. The secondary would look like this since there are some position changes due to versatile picks:

Bengals typically keep 10 DB's: JJ, Hall, Trent, Roy, Crocker, Chinny, Cook, Chancellor, Owusu-Ansah, Jones

Depth Chart (in no exact order):

CB: Joseph, Hall, Trent, Jones, Cook, Owusu-Ansah

FS: Crocker, Cook, Chancellor

SS: Roy, Chinny, Chancellor

Lots of versatility and some insurance in case you lose Hall or JJ to free agency. Sort of the same thing they did with Caldwell/Simpson years ago with the difference being Chad pulled his head out of his ass.

The oline is stronger, TE is stronger, and you have long-term replacements (if needed) for Roy, Crocker and Hall/Joseph (can't see them losing both). Also, as far as RB goes, wouldn't shock me to see Keiland or someone else make the team and Leonard moved to FB.

Archived