Enhance Fan Experience

I may be interning with the Cincinnati Bengals this summer and one of my first projects would be how to improve the Fan Experience for gamedays from give-aways, contest, etc. What will make you go to the game? What can going to the game offer as opposed to watching it on TV? Thanks for any suggestions. I would like to bounce a few ideas off you since I know plenty of you have attended more games than I have. Will "off the wall" ideas work (think Minor League Baseball) ?

Thanks for your input.

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum.

[quote name='SD_semro' date='16 April 2010 - 03:49 PM' timestamp='1271458162' post='878419']
I may be interning with the Cincinnati Bengals this summer and one of my first projects would be how to improve the Fan Experience for gamedays from give-aways, contest, etc. What will make you go to the game? What can going to the game offer as opposed to watching it on TV? Thanks for any suggestions. I would like to bounce a few ideas off you since I know plenty of you have attended more games than I have. Will "off the wall" ideas work (think Minor League Baseball) ?

Thanks for your input.

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum.
[/quote]

Beat the Crap out of the Steelers, Browns and Ravens.

I was about to say sell beer cheaper. But that is a bad idea.

Raise the prices or quit selling beer all together.

No but really. I think having Bengals alumni to mingle with the crowd,
sign autographs ect would be cool.

The Bengals need to embrace some of their older players anyway.

I go to games currently and even in down season I'm geared up to go by the time game time rolls around. So I'm not sure my feedback is what you are looking for but if the NFL is concerned here is my thoughts:

A) I don't know if it's worth even worrying about the fan at home. There are plenty of people I know that are fans but will never go to a game even if it's free. They don't like the crowds etc.

B) If the NFL feels they are losing fans that did choose to go to games at one point but now are choosing to stay home. Lower the price point.

C) Tailgating is a big draw for fans. IMO, in a good year there are way more fans that tailgate that can actually go into the stadium. So you want to sell that. Promotions for tailgaters. Promote pre/post game parties that draw fans to the area of the stadium. Heck if the game is sold out, set up a the big screen to broadcast it to the parking lot.

D) The original draw for me to the stadium was crowd atmosphere and the ability to effect the outcome of the game. So more noise the better. I think they need to go away from the family atmosphere thing. Need to play on the rock concert feel. Let baseball be the family of 4 event.

[quote name='oldschooler' date='16 April 2010 - 06:00 PM' timestamp='1271458839' post='878425']
I was about to say sell beer cheaper. But that is a bad idea.

Raise the prices or quit selling beer all together.

No but really. I think having Bengals alumni to mingle with the crowd,
sign autographs ect would be cool.

The Bengals need to embrace some of their older players anyway.
[/quote]

I was thinking of this the other day about honoring past players when I saw the Twins Target Field which is loaded with history.
Thanks for the idea.

A few promo ideas that I thought of:

Giveaway: In honor of Carson's injured thumb last year have a bobble-thumb or some kind of hand out (thumb wrap / small safety kit) while partnering with a company.

Contest: Half-time contest where a fan (or a few) are randomly selected to kick field goals (Extra Point, 25, 45) the prizes get better each kick.

Fan Experience: This may not be ready for this upcoming season due the technology not being out. I was thinking of having the Xbox Project Natal at a couple stations in the stadium and have the fans play a game where they are catching balls from several jugs machines. High Score the day gets a prize.

[quote name='scharm' date='16 April 2010 - 06:31 PM' timestamp='1271460660' post='878440']
I go to games currently and even in down season I'm geared up to go by the time game time rolls around. So I'm not sure my feedback is what you are looking for but if the NFL is concerned here is my thoughts:

A) I don't know if it's worth even worrying about the fan at home. There are plenty of people I know that are fans but will never go to a game even if it's free. They don't like the crowds etc.

B) If the NFL feels they are losing fans that did choose to go to games at one point but now are choosing to stay home. Lower the price point.

C) Tailgating is a big draw for fans. IMO, in a good year there are way more fans that tailgate that can actually go into the stadium. So you want to sell that. Promotions for tailgaters. Promote pre/post game parties that draw fans to the area of the stadium. Heck if the game is sold out, set up a the big screen to broadcast it to the parking lot.

D) The original draw for me to the stadium was crowd atmosphere and the ability to effect the outcome of the game. So more noise the better. I think they need to go away from the family atmosphere thing. Need to play on the rock concert feel. Let baseball be the family of 4 event.
[/quote]

Thanks for the advice. Along with the other insights particularly about the economy; it may be best to focus on retaining our current ticket holders. I like the idea of promoting at tailgating as well. I'm not sure how much of that has ever been done. What about a team that goes around to tailgating locations at games. The Reds have a crew that does ring toss on a batting helmet (something like that).

increase the fanfare of the stadium itself. You don't necessarily have to go full-fledged like the pirate ship in tampa, but I always thought it would be cool for them to add some (artificial) jungle life on the pavilions and cover the escalator in bamboo to make it look sort of like a bridge you'd see in the jungle. Make the jungle actually look and feel like a jungle.

Even the Reds have the smokestacks and such.

Also, as others have said, using the video board and PA announcer to interact with the fans more, and changing up the songs played.

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='17 April 2010 - 08:19 AM' timestamp='1271463570' post='878454']
increase the fanfare of the stadium itself. You don't necessarily have to go full-fledged like the pirate ship in tampa, but I always thought it would be cool for them to [b]add some (artificial) jungle life on the pavilions and cover the escalator in bamboo to make it look sort of like a bridge you'd see in the jungle. Make the jungle actually look and feel like a jungle.[/b]

Even the Reds have the smokestacks and such.

Also, as others have said, using the video board and PA announcer to interact with the fans more, and changing up the songs played.
[/quote]
Fuck no. We don't need to cheese-dick up the stadium. Give me a break. :rolleyes:

-Use the video boards more to the team's advantage. Get the crowd on its feet when we're on D, and tell them to STFU when we're on offense. Also, we've got a zillion TV time outs, and two huge TVs. Use them. More in-game replays, out-of-town highlights (especially big plays against pissburgh and the clowns), historical clips of Bengals' defenders laying the wood... keep the crowd interested, excited, and involved.

Here some more:

Let fans bring in noise makers.

Give an option to rent a hand held TV with Sunday Ticket

When PBS opened when compared to Riverfront lines were so fast. Now they seem long. Add points of sale and train workers to get it done quicker. Typically not a good idea to make people wait in line to hand you money.

I am firm believer in a grill full of dead pig, chicken, and cow will never go wrong

Pig Skin Pub on West side of stadium is always packed. Put another one on the other side.

Similar to a baseball score card. Develop a usable drive chart for the fans that wish can track drives, plays, stats etc.

I wish they would pipe in the radio broadcast in the bathroom.

It would be awesome to update the stadium TVs to HD flat screens.

I would love to see small sections of seats (100 each endzone) on field level in each endzone. Here's the deal, they can't be bought. Each Saturday they are given away (or sold cheap) to interviewed Bengal fans. They must be decked out in gear, they don't sit, and their sole purpose is to serve as cheer leaders to generate crowd noise. Tickets are picked up with ID on Sunday so they can't be scalped.

Scoreboard tracking of opponents pre snap penalties. If they get more than 5, then $5 off any item in pro shop following the game through Monday. Get more that 10, $10 off.

Scoreboard noise meter.

[quote name='scharm' date='16 April 2010 - 10:09 PM' timestamp='1271473778' post='878493']
Here some more:

Let fans bring in noise makers.

Give an option to rent a hand held TV with Sunday Ticket

When PBS opened when compared to Riverfront lines were so fast. Now they seem long. Add points of sale and train workers to get it done quicker. Typically not a good idea to make people wait in line to hand you money.

I am firm believer in a grill full of dead pig, chicken, and cow will never go wrong

Pig Skin Pub on West side of stadium is always packed. Put another one on the other side.

Similar to a baseball score card. Develop a usable drive chart for the fans that wish can track drives, plays, stats etc.

I wish they would pipe in the radio broadcast in the bathroom.

It would be awesome to update the stadium TVs to HD flat screens.

I would love to see small sections of seats (100 each endzone) on field level in each endzone. Here's the deal, they can't be bought. Each Saturday they are given away (or sold cheap) to interviewed Bengal fans. They must be decked out in gear, they don't sit, and their sole purpose is to serve as cheer leaders to generate crowd noise. Tickets are picked up with ID on Sunday so they can't be scalped.

Scoreboard tracking of opponents pre snap penalties. If they get more than 5, then $5 off any item in pro shop following the game through Monday. Get more that 10, $10 off.

Scoreboard noise meter.
[/quote]

this is pretty damn brilliant all around.

Archived