Mike vs. Marvin

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='23 July 2010 - 02:27 PM' timestamp='1279909640' post='898618']
My interpretation of history?

:24:

yeah I guess the 90s was just all dumb bad luck
[/quote]

Now you are just being an asshole..

It's ok though.. You have made yourself clear on what counts as a "fact" to you.. Something to keep in mind when debating in the future.

[quote name='Lucid' date='23 July 2010 - 02:35 PM' timestamp='1279910126' post='898619']
Now you are just being an asshole..

It's ok though.. You have made yourself clear on what counts as a "fact" to you.. Something to keep in mind when debating in the future.
[/quote]

I'm the asshole? :D

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTPxEwfNTJc&feature=player_embedded[/media]

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='23 July 2010 - 02:41 PM' timestamp='1279910469' post='898620']
I'm the asshole? :D

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTPxEwfNTJc&feature=player_embedded[/media]
[/quote]

Yes you are.

You are the one who initiated the insult.. Even though I may be roflmao at your assertions in real life.. I at least have the decency to not do it in the course of the argument.

I can agree to disagree without any malice... I do however note that you consider hearsay+presumption as fact. Can you except that we disagree and move on without being insulting?

[quote name='Lucid' date='23 July 2010 - 02:49 PM' timestamp='1279910992' post='898621']
Yes you are.

You are the one who initiated the insult.. Even though I may be roflmao at your assertions in real life.. I at least have the decency to not do it in the course of the argument.

I can agree to disagree without any malice... I do however note that you consider hearsay+presumption as fact. Can you except that we disagree and move on without being insulting?
[/quote]

Ok fine, fair enough you never threw out any insult to me, so as absurdly funny as I find the idea that the 90s was just bad luck, I will apologize for laughing at that. However in the course of the thread, I wasn't the one throwing out insults to start, lets just note that.

presumption? How do we look at the record and presume when there was more than one or two bad decisions that made it what it was.

Honest question, do you believe that the 90s was just dumb luck?

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='23 July 2010 - 03:01 PM' timestamp='1279911709' post='898622']
Ok fine, fair enough you never threw out any insult to me, so as absurdly funny as I find the idea that the 90s was just bad luck, I will apologize for laughing at that. However in the course of the thread, I wasn't the one throwing out insults to start, lets just note that.

presumption? How do we look at the record and presume when there was more than one or two bad decisions that made it what it was.

Honest question, do you believe that the 90s was just dumb luck?
[/quote]

Of course not.. It was a combination of factors that did not entirely hinge on Mike's inability to ever make a good decision. Just because he made bad ones in the past, or did not have the best of luck with head coaching hires (although I can't blame him for giving Dick his long deserved shot, can you?) does not preclude him from making a good decision when hiring Marvin.

I mean, obviously he made the decision.. Are you presuming he made all his bad decisions in a vacuum? And this one time he got advice, it saved him from another one?

[quote name='Lucid' date='23 July 2010 - 03:08 PM' timestamp='1279912136' post='898623']
Of course not.. It was a combination of factors that did not entirely hinge on Mike's inability to ever make a good decision. Just because he made bad ones in the past, or did not have the best of luck with head coaching hires (although I can't blame him for giving Dick his long deserved shot, can you?) does not preclude him from making a good decision when hiring Marvin.

I mean, obviously he made the decision.. Are you presuming he made all his bad decisions in a vacuum? And this one time he got advice, it saved him from another one?
[/quote]

I think that the missing fans from the stadium combined with his desire to win (despite not being good at it) combined with his advanced age and the notion that if he didnt change some of his ways he might not get to see the team win, influenced him to finally not be so damned stubborn in his ways and listen to what others had to say, ie: Katie and Troy. And that he gets credit for not being so damned stubborn, but that yes Katie and Troy deserve credit for influencing him too, the Marvin decision was not all Mike.

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='23 July 2010 - 03:19 PM' timestamp='1279912744' post='898625']
holy shit will you two just shut up?
[/quote]

You have been here 1/2 as long as me and have 4x the number of posts.. But [i]I[/i] need to shut up..

OK.

[quote name='Lucid' date='23 July 2010 - 03:38 PM' timestamp='1279913912' post='898628']
You have been here 1/2 as long as me and have 4x the number of posts.. But [i]I[/i] need to shut up..

OK.
[/quote]

who cares how much one posts? And I've been here longer than you (thanks Bung).

At least my ego can end a conversation without getting the last word.

[quote name='Jamie_B' date='23 July 2010 - 01:33 PM' timestamp='1279906388' post='898601']
Here is what I am saying.

It was reported that Mularky was Mikes preference after Coughlin wanted to much to be here, and that Katie and Troy influenced him to choose Marvin instead. I'm saying I believe that report. Do I believe that Katie and Troy forced his hand? Of course not, after all it is his team and the final decision is his, so yes in the end he chose Marvin because he wanted him, HOWEVER I do believe Katie and Troy influenced his decision in choosing Marvin over Mularky.

Why are some of you so hell bent on redeaming the redeamer?
[/quote]

I'm just sayin he has been here 8 years and has offer to stay longer. That is good enough proof Mike hired the guy he wanted. He got an extension before ever producing a winner.

The rest of it is silly and foolish.

[quote name='scharm' date='23 July 2010 - 03:53 PM' timestamp='1279914824' post='898630']
I'm just sayin he has been here 8 years and has offer to stay longer. That is good enough proof Mike hired the guy he wanted. He got an extension before ever producing a winner.

[/quote]

:doh:

[quote name='scharm' date='23 July 2010 - 03:53 PM' timestamp='1279914824' post='898630']

[/quote]

So the fact that Mike gave TJ a contract extension and an offer to stay longer is proof that Mike wanted him all along, even though Mike passed on him 6 times in the 2001 draft?

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='23 July 2010 - 03:42 PM' timestamp='1279914122' post='898629']
who cares how much one posts? And I've been here longer than you (thanks Bung).

At least my ego can end a conversation without getting the last word.
[/quote]

That can't be true... I joined JT's board when there were only about 10 of us.. As soon as it got wacky I came here. I sure don't remember you from those days.

And I rarely get the last word..

Dude you kill me.. I have seen you argue for pages.. Don't pretend.

[quote name='Lucid' date='23 July 2010 - 04:00 PM' timestamp='1279915216' post='898636']
That can't be true... I joined JT's board when there were only about 10 of us.. As soon as it got wacky I came here. I sure don't remember you from those days.
[/quote]

I joined JT's board just before it died. Been here since I believe november '04.

I made J.T. create his board through jesus power!

I was on this board - in Go's Dreams.

Mike Brown hired Marvin cause I said so.

I didn't take over the reigns until around 2000 ish - by that Time I'd had all I could stand.

Katie is my nuggy slave.

I built Paul Brown Stadium single handedly.

I invented astro turf and the internet.

In my spare time, between breaking the hearts of supermodels, I'm a rock star.

[quote name='The Scales' date='23 July 2010 - 04:31 PM' timestamp='1279917104' post='898641']

I didn't take over the reigns until around 2000 ish - by that Time I'd had all I could stand.

Katie is my nuggy slave.

[/quote]

bullshit about the astro turf............

[quote name='Bengals1181' date='23 July 2010 - 03:58 PM' timestamp='1279915119' post='898635']
So the fact that Mike gave TJ a contract extension and an offer to stay longer is proof that Mike wanted him all along, even though Mike passed on him 6 times in the 2001 draft?
[/quote]

No. That is a record they wanted the players actually selected first before selecting TJ. The extension/offer of TJs is proof they wanted to keep TJ.

During the coaching search that began with the Lebeau vacancy I am not aware of any single head hired prior to Marvin. Are you?

[quote name='The Scales' date='23 July 2010 - 04:31 PM' timestamp='1279917104' post='898641']

Katie is my nuggy slave.

[/quote]

Who knew? Al Gore posts here.

[quote name='Cricket' date='23 July 2010 - 10:23 AM' timestamp='1279905818' post='898597']
Nice response. That's the way brainstorming works. Some of the best ideas come from someone throwing out ideas/questions like this.
[/quote]
And in the very next show they move a DL to OL for real-Shirley.

Archived