Jerome Simpson

All you rome hatas can just jay jay jay jay fumblelotapeeepay!!!

Firstly. The Great Ocho Cinco makes boo boos on his routes too. Not reading the coverage right and what have yous. Him being here and the ball going there? Remember? Sure you do. and he's been in the league a while now.

Carson and C.J will get into. Stare at each other and all this.

Give the Kid a break.

He needs to play as much as possible.

I'd like to see him start every game and play pretty much every snap the rest of the way.

Damn. Everybodies just so perfect aren't we?

Sheesh.

[quote name='SF2' timestamp='1281474267' post='904480']
I can't totally buy this logic. He could have helped spread the field with his speed ala Chris Henry. At least running a simple post pattern would have forced the defense to play a little deeper.

There was all the reason in the world to play him in 2008. We were out of it so why not get him some PT? Is it better to have Chad out there with a shit oline in a meaningless game every play or give Simpson a few reps?

He certainly could have played in the first Jet game last year since we threw that one away in the second half. I have to think there were times when he could have been inserted to run a simple route but Brat didn't do it. Seriously, an entire year and they can't find a play or two to run him out on the field?

Hopefully, he has gotten it but I would rather have Shipley out there (Carson loves) or Jones who has proven he can run big boy NFL routes rather than hope Simpson can finally get it.
[/quote]

They gave coles gobs of cash. He was gonna play and earn that cash. Ahem.

Then you had C.J. and Slim and bubba and the quan ahead of him.

Coles is gonna suit up.
C.j.s gonna start.
Slim got in there when they called on him.
Bubba in the slot. More polished from FLORIDA + NFL Experience.
Quan. More polished from TEXAS. Plus played teams.

Thats five players

Plus your Teams offense is committed to the Run in a big way...

Plus wasn't Purify also a special teams ace?

Thus Rome in street clothes....

I just don't believe for a second that he isn't understanding the offense. Some of the biggest retards on earth have played in the NFL and some are RUNNING the offense *cough* Vince Young *cough*. Even if he was so stupid he didn't ever recognize what he should do in certain situations, surely there could be a play or 2 where at least 1 receiver has a static route that is concrete no matter what the defense is doing. If you're inside the 20 just give him a fade every time.

[quote name='Since 87' timestamp='1281484195' post='904519']
I just don't believe for a second that he isn't understanding the offense. Some of the biggest retards on earth have played in the NFL and some are RUNNING the offense *cough* Vince Young *cough*. Even if he was so stupid he didn't ever recognize what he should do in certain situations, surely there could be a play or 2 where at least 1 receiver has a static route that is concrete no matter what the defense is doing. If you're inside the 20 just give him a fade every time.
[/quote]

The problem there is one of bodies. Marvin has said this on a number of occasions, if he could dress 46 Jerome would be playing. Anyone who dresses (aside from QB3) has to be able to be able to fill in on teams, or be good enough to run a larger number of plays than the one or two 'fade on the five' plays in a game.

This is were players like Shipley have an advantage if they can play on teams. It gives them a reason to dress, then a few plays can be added for them as needed.

[quote name='SF2' timestamp='1281474267' post='904480']
I can't totally buy this logic. He could have helped spread the field with his speed ala Chris Henry. At least running a simple post pattern would have forced the defense to play a little deeper.

[b]There was all the reason in the world to play him in 2008. We were out of it so why not get him some PT? Is it better to have Chad out there with a shit oline in a meaningless game every play or give Simpson a few reps?[/b]

He certainly could have played in the first Jet game last year since we threw that one away in the second half. I have to think there were times when he could have been inserted to run a simple route but Brat didn't do it. Seriously, an entire year and they can't find a play or two to run him out on the field?

Hopefully, he has gotten it but I would rather have Shipley out there (Carson loves) or Jones who has proven he can run big boy NFL routes rather than hope Simpson can finally get it.
[/quote]

he was injured.

I'm confused by the hate or defense of Jerome Simpson. If he makes it, he makes it. If he don't, he don't. No need to root against or for the guy, IMO. They got enough competition at that spot you can rest assured whatever happens is earned.

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1281489449' post='904540']
I'm confused by the hate or defense of Jerome Simpson. If he makes it, he makes it. If he don't, he don't. No need to root against or for the guy, IMO. They got enough competition at that spot you can rest assured whatever happens is earned.
[/quote]

Kinda my feeling...id hope he beats out a guy like matt jones because he is an in house guy and it would make the draft pick not as big of a bust. But then again Matt jones was a first round pick, so maybe he has more talent and would be better keeping around because he can contribute more this year?

I dont know, but either way I think we should be fine.

[/quote]

If the coaches thought he was worth a damn, they wouldn't have signed free agents Matt Jones, Terrell Owens, and Antonio Bryant and then drafted Jordan Shipley and Dezmon Briscoe.

[quote name='Arkansas Bengal' timestamp='1281491929' post='904564']
If the coaches thought he was worth a damn, they wouldn't have signed free agents Matt Jones, Terrell Owens, and Antonio Bryant and then drafted Jordan Shipley and Dezmon Briscoe.
[/quote]

Your hard on for hating him is weird. Who fuckin cares? Let it play out.

[/quote]

Damn, what he do, smack your mother in the mouth with his dick? You sure have a little haterade going on.

[/quote]

I don't dislike Simpson in the least and if he ends up being one of 6 best recievers on the roster...Good for him and hopefully us. However, I have to agree with AB that the Bengals actions speak volumes about what they think of the WR position.

Let's see what happens...

[/quote]

I think frustration with him may be getting misread as hate. Fans have been very hopeful for him. Keep waiting for him to grasp that ring...

The media built him up as a small school wonderkind when he was drafted. Then the coaching staff says he wasn't ready and wouldn't be ready that year.
The media built up hope for him when Henry died and the Bengals were in desperate need of another WR. Only to see him bypassed by the coaching staff.
The media built up the hope for him this off season, singing his praises and bringing yet another glimmer of hope of Simpson for the fans...and the fans preview of him in game action was not pretty. Not pretty at all.

Hopeful for Simpson has turned to frustration with Simpson for many.

[quote name='CougarQuest' timestamp='1281493967' post='904570']
I think frustration with him may be getting misread as hate. Fans have been very hopeful for him. Keep waiting for him to grasp that ring...

The media built him up as a small school wonderkind when he was drafted. Then the coaching staff says he wasn't ready and wouldn't be ready that year.
The media built up hope for him when Henry died and the Bengals were in desperate need of another WR. Only to see him bypassed by the coaching staff.
The media built up the hope for him this off season, singing his praises and bringing yet another glimmer of hope of Simpson for the fans...and the fans preview of him in game action was not pretty. Not pretty at all.

Hopeful for Simpson has turned to frustration with Simpson for many.
[/quote]

never understood how when the media overhypes someone, people take it out on the person rather than the media. Not simpson's fault the media hypes him.

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1281492044' post='904565']
[/quote]

Matt Jones is the best receiver EVER.

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1281492044' post='904565']
[/quote]

I don't hate Simpson; in fact, I would love to see him become a great receiver for the Bengals.

He obviously has all the physical tools, but it appears he continues to have trouble with his routes.

Maybe it's nerves; maybe he just doesn't have the mental capacity; maybe it's something else.

But unless he FINALLY 'gets it' during the next couple of preseason games, it's time to move on.

Don't confuse hate with performance evaluation.

Reps.

Reps.

Reps.

In game Reps.

Then film study and some Ass chewing.

Then more Reps, Reps, Reps.

He ain't stupid.

You get better by playing. Watching film. and Practice. Everybody knows this.

He ain't going nowhere. His ability is just too preposterous . . .

so all these blanket statements and ultimatiums by fans are pretty funny stuff...

[/quote]

True, but you don't sign five guys to replace one guy. You could say the same for all the WR except for Chad.

If Jerome sticks, the coaches will have basically anointed him as Chad's heir. There is really nobody else on the roster that has the ability to step into Chad's shoes when he goes in a season or two. Bryant, Caldwell, Shipley, Jones are all best suited as a #2 or #3, and even if he doesn't get snatched from the PS, they're still not really sure what he brings.

Opening day 2012: Jerome lines up across from Briscoe, with Shipley in the slot and Caldwell off the bench. Could be awesome... or could be gruesome...

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1281485480' post='904529']
he was injured.
[/quote]
He was injured for 3 months? We went 0-7 or 0-8 if I remember correctly (2008). He had most of October, November and Decemeber to get some reps since we were toast early. I am asking because I don't remember him being hurt that badly. If he was then so be it.

I still think there had to be a place for him after Henry got hurt IF he was somewhat ready. Obviously, there was a better player on the practice squad.

I am not hating on him just saying that I still haven't seen him do anything to include the HOF game. Jones looked good against 3 stringers but he did look good which is what you would expect. I just haven't seen enough of this guy going into his third year and in reality, the fact that we have seen little of him is not a good sign.

[quote name='SF2' timestamp='1281561345' post='904804']
He was injured for 3 months? We went 0-7 or 0-8 if I remember correctly (2008). He had most of October, November and Decemeber to get some reps since we were toast early. I am asking because I don't remember him being hurt that badly. If he was then so be it.

I still think there had to be a place for him after Henry got hurt IF he was somewhat ready. Obviously, there was a better player on the practice squad.

I am not hating on him just saying that I still haven't seen him do anything to include the HOF game. Jones looked good against 3 stringers but he did look good which is what you would expect. I just haven't seen enough of this guy going into his third year and in reality, the fact that we have seen little of him is not a good sign.
[/quote]

if memory serves, he battled a foot injury much of the year that limited him in practice and then when healthy got into the pissburgh game week 12. He had his one catch in that game, and then he (ankle) and Caldwell both got hurt in the game. Simpson missed the last 4 weeks with an ankle injury.

[quote name='The Scales' timestamp='1281484053' post='904518']
They gave coles gobs of cash. He was gonna play and earn that cash. Ahem.

Then you had C.J. and Slim and bubba and the quan ahead of him.

Coles is gonna suit up.
C.j.s gonna start.
Slim got in there when they called on him.
Bubba in the slot. More polished from FLORIDA + NFL Experience.
Quan. More polished from TEXAS. Plus played teams.

Thats five players

Plus your Teams offense is committed to the Run in a big way...

Plus wasn't Purify also a special teams ace?

Thus Rome in street clothes....
[/quote]

I completely agree with your assesment but what does that tell you about Simpson? He wasn't ready after his second full training camp to even be the last WR. I wouldn't care if he were a 5th rounder but he wasn't. If Marvin and Mikey took a chance on the guy and it didn't pan out then fine. I don't have a problem with that either. Just gotta minimize those types of chances.

Lets look at this year.

CJ and TO obviously.
A healthy Bryant is ahead of him.
Can't imagine Caldwell being gone (never know)
That leaves 2 more spots maybe 3 if Bryant is hurt.
Carson loves Shipley and he can return punts so he seems to be ahead of J Rome.
Matt Jones has way more polish then J Rome and has proven himself as an NFL receiver. Toss up?

Anyway you slice it he is very much on the bubble at best unless he breaks out.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1281562093' post='904808']
if memory serves, he battled a foot injury much of the year that limited him in practice and then when healthy got into the pissburgh game week 12. He had his one catch in that game, and then he (ankle) and Caldwell both got hurt in the game. Simpson missed the last 4 weeks with an ankle injury.
[/quote]

He played week 7 (game 7) against Pissburgh in mid October. That is when he caught his pass. I don't know if that is when he was hurt or how bad if it was.

[quote name='SF2' timestamp='1281562396' post='904811']
He played week 7 (game 7) against Pissburgh in mid October. That is when he caught his pass. I don't know if that is when he was hurt or how bad if it was.
[/quote]

my bad, thought it was the game in Pitt.

I agree in principle though. 2008 was the ideal time for Simpson and Caldwell to get on-field experience. For whatever reason, it didn't happen.

[quote name='The Scales' timestamp='1281532456' post='904618']
Reps.

Reps.

Reps.

In game Reps.

Then film study and some Ass chewing.

Then more Reps, Reps, Reps.

He ain't stupid.

You get better by playing. Watching film. and Practice. Everybody knows this.

He ain't going nowhere. His ability is just too preposterous . . .

so all these blanket statements and ultimatiums by fans are pretty funny stuff...
[/quote]

He has had plenty of reps the last two years and the coaches decided not to play him to any extent. They drafted and traded for more WRs for a few reasons and one of them is Jerome Simpson. Jeff George had preposterous ability too. So what. If the coaches don't have faith in you all the natural talent in the world is meaningless.

Archived