*UPDATE* Eagles sign FB Owen Schmitt

[quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1284426470' post='918543']
well i guess it's doesn't matter much now. but contrary to what you think, and how signing a FB could balloon our budget to uncharted territories in this uncapped year, it probably will be interesting finding out just how little owen schmitt actually signed for. sometimes, spending just a little bit more than the next guy, isn't really such an outrageous thing, and that becomes especially true when you're talking about the FB position.

as you propose and on the flip side, there's always coats. :rolleyes:
[/quote]

what does financials have to do with anything? It's not like Schmitt would have broke the bank.

If the Bengals use as much no-huddle as they should (considering its when they're at their best), then Schmitt wouldn't be seeing the field much anyway.

There's ways to get around not having a dedicated FB. If the Bengals were that concerned they probably wouldn't have waited 6 days to bring him in.

With Leonard Weaver out for the year, it's not a surprise that the Eagles signed Schmitt right away. At least where the Bengals are concerned, they could prepare for longer with the prospect of not having a FB... not true with the Eagles; Weaver is an All-Pro, and losing him is a huge blow that was definitely unexpected. That said, the Eagles also lost their starting center, Jamaal Jackson, for the season on Sunday, so I'm guessing that they're sniffing around for a replacement, or at least some quality depth.

So if the Bengals are interested in signing Hartwig, they shouldn't let him leave the building, because the Eagles will likely be looking at him as well.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1284430332' post='918568']
what does financials have to do with anything? It's not like Schmitt would have broke the bank.

If the Bengals use as much no-huddle as they should (considering its when they're at their best), then Schmitt wouldn't be seeing the field much anyway.

There's ways to get around not having a dedicated FB. If the Bengals were that concerned they probably wouldn't have waited 6 days to bring him in.
[/quote]

hmmm, wouldn't it be just as correct to say... "if the bengals were NOT concerned, they never would have had any plans to bring him in?"

i suppose it's how you look at it.

"financials" has to do with your previous response that "you wouldn't go that far". this was in response to my suggestion that they could have upped the anti over what the eagles had offered...ie financials.

[quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1284475516' post='918733']
hmmm, wouldn't it be just as correct to say... "if the bengals were NOT concerned, they never would have had any plans to bring him in?"

i suppose it's how you look at it.

"financials" has to do with your previous response that "you wouldn't go that far". this was in response to my suggestion that they could have upped the anti over what the eagles had offered...ie financials.
[/quote]

I guess my thought is, he was cut on Wednesday of last week. If you're looking for a FB that desperately, you bring him in the next day. I question how desperate they were for a FB, or if they were kicking tires to see if he'd fit their system well.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1284475988' post='918735']
I guess my thought is, he was cut on Wednesday of last week. If you're looking for a FB that desperately, you bring him in the next day. I question how desperate they were for a FB, or if they were kicking tires to see if he'd fit their system well.
[/quote]

the hitch in that is clear, they wanted that first game to be played so they weren't on the hook for the full salary. once the eagles played their game and lost wheeler, it became a matter of time and more importantly... money.

[quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1284490227' post='918818']
the hitch in that is clear, they wanted that first game to be played so they weren't on the hook for the full salary. once the eagles played their game and lost wheeler, [b]it became a matter of time and more importantly... money.[/b]
[/quote]

he was a 5th round pick still on his rookie contract that was only worth $1.8 million to begin with. He was due to make roughly $470,000 this year. Pretty much the league minimum. I doubt money had much to do with it at all.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1284490977' post='918820']
he was a 5th round pick still on his rookie contract that was only worth $1.8 million to begin with. He was due to make roughly $470,000 this year. Pretty much the league minimum. I doubt money had much to do with it at all.
[/quote]

i just draw my opinions from what i hear. tho i'm sure there's something worthy to argue about in that too. :rolleyes:

Joe Reedy: "I know there is an interest in Schmitt but possibly not until next week since the salaries after that are not guaranteed."

[quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1284492143' post='918826']
i just draw my opinions from what i hear. tho i'm sure there's something worthy to argue about in that too. :rolleyes:

Joe Reedy: "I know there is an interest in Schmitt but possibly not until next week since the salaries after that are not guaranteed."
[/quote]

very true, but you can't just take everything for face value.

If they didn't want to guarantee a contract at that is at the league minimum, how desperate do you really think they are for a FB? Probably not very.

If they really wanted/need a FB, what he was making would have been a drop in the hat.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1284493079' post='918831']
very true, but you can't just take everything for face value.

If they didn't want to guarantee a contract at that is at the league minimum, how desperate do you really think they are for a FB? Probably not very.

If they really wanted/need a FB, what he was making would have been a drop in the hat.
[/quote]

you're probably right.

Archived