Upcoming Movie Trailers

Bengals1181

interesting development today.  

Sony's Amazing Spiderman 2 opened in some markets overseas, including the UK.

The after credit's scene....was a clip from X:Men Days of Future Past, a movie by Fox.

So 2 different franchises, from 2 different studios, working together.

interesting development today.  

Sony's Amazing Spiderman 2 opened in some markets overseas, including the UK.

The after credit's scene....was a clip from X:Men Days of Future Past, a movie by Fox.

So 2 different franchises, from 2 different studios, working together.

Both marvel right?

Both marvel right?

Marvel comics, yea.  But 2 different companies with 2 different franchises with different rights to characters.

It probably means nothing in the grand scheme as in I doubt you'll start seeing Spiderman in XMen movies and vice versa, but interesting nonetheless.  You don't typically see any collaboration among the big studios that have rights to Marvel movies (Marvel, Sony and Fox) as they typically don't like each other and of course are competing for eyeballs.

Even more interesting here, Sony is help promote a Fox movie that comes out 3 weeks after theirs and could potentially dip into their sales.

[UpdateVariety dug up the reasoning behind this odd type of promotion, and it has to do with a contract The Amazing Spider-Man 2 director Marc Webb had with Fox.  Apparently Webb had contractually agreed to direct another film for Fox Searchlight after the success of (500) Days of Summer, and there was a bit of animosity after The Amazing Spider-Man when Fox wanted Webb to fulfill his obligation while Sony wanted him to return for Spider-Man 2.  Fox subsequently relented and allowed Webb to helm The Amazing Spider-Man 2, and in return Sony agreed to promote X-Men: Days of Future Past for free.
Read more at http://collider.com/amazing-spider-man-2-x-men-days-of-future-past/#qJR5Hdf0vogdRHo0.99

I don't understand why movies are opening overseas lately before the states gets it.  Most of the movie was filmed in LA or NY: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1872181/locations?ref_=tt_dt_dt

I don't quite get it, but I would assume it comes down to money (of course).

Big movies make the bulk of their money overseas.  The longer they are in theaters there, the better chance they have to make extra money.

Of course, it varies by country.  Captain America 2 opened a week later in China than the US.  I don't know if that's because of the recent rules or what.  I don't know the full details but it sounds like up until a few years ago China didn't show foreign (or at least US) movies. Since some change, big US blockbusters have been getting run there, and some (like The Dark Knight Rises and Iron Man 3) even make a point to film part of the movie in China so that China will air the movie.  I don't know if any of Captain America 2 was filmed in China, but I read that it did an impressive $80M opening weekend last weekend (compared to $96M in the US).  That's a HUGE win for Hollywood, especially considering it was a movie showing in China with "America" in the title  (when you consider when the first Captain America came out they changed the title to just "The First Avenger" in some foreign markets to avoid any anti-American sentiment).

One of the DC critics saw the new X-Men flick and tweeted this:

Kevin McCarthy ‏@KevinMcCarthyTV 8m

#XmenDaysOfFuturePast is incredible! - Works great as a drama, action and comic book flick - Amazing performances! Fav #XMen flick by far!

Kevin McCarthy ‏@KevinMcCarthyTV 4m

There is a sequence in the film that I would pay FULL TICKET price 2 see on a loop for 2 hrs! Epic action sequence! #NerdTears #Quicksilver

just went and saw Amazing Spiderman 2.  Not quite as good as it could have been, but still very good and a nice step up from the first film, which I quite enjoyed.  This one has more action, whereas the first had more heart.  This one still has the heart, with the jolt of the action.

And my goodness, the Score for the movie is simply fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOv0T_zfaDI

also:

[spoiler] while you pretty much knew Gwen's death was coming if you know anything about the character, it's still one of the best comic book deaths I've seen on film.  Even up until the last second, you didn't think they were going to go through with it.  He catches her with the web, but still can't prevent her from slamming into the ground.

edit:  and apparently it's online. For now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqW74uQZkyE[/spoiler]

Archived