Marcus Stroud

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1297894477' post='971005']
Probably not, Atkins, Sims, Peko and rookie can be the main DL on the Bengals. I don't know who you squeeze out to give Stroud PT.
[/quote]

I guess what he may be saying is if we pick up Stroud, we may not need Fairley or Dareus
or whomever else and can go another direction.

I have not looked at his age, production, any injury concerns, and locker room presence,
all of which are important for determining his worth. However, if he is anywhere near who he was,
then he could be a better option than at least one of our current DTs, maybe two.
He was an ideal 4-3 tackle in Jacksonville.

[quote name='sparky151' timestamp='1297903825' post='971047']
If the Bengals went after him, it would probably be to replace Tank. I doubt Stroud has much left in the tank and would rather see Fairley or Dareus or just leave the position alone and give McDonald more snaps.
[/quote]

its going to be an interesting free agency period, once it actually comes around.

For the first time in forever (literally?), the draft is going to take place BEFORE free agency. So teams will be able to fill holes with draft picks rather then spending big on free agents, the way many owners would prefer it be.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1297904223' post='971051']
its going to be an interesting free agency period, once it actually comes around.

For the first time in forever (literally?), the draft is going to take place BEFORE free agency. So teams will be able to fill holes with draft picks rather then spending big on free agents, the way many owners would prefer it be.
[/quote]

Most GMs prefer free agency and the trade period before the draft. Draftees can't shop themselves elsewhere so if you draft someone at a position, you've added another body at that position. If you need to upgrade someplace in your lineup, you either have to settle for a rookie or hope to get a good FA but that's a gamble.

[quote name='sparky151' timestamp='1297905032' post='971060']
Most GMs prefer free agency and the trade period before the draft. Draftees can't shop themselves elsewhere so if you draft someone at a position, you've added another body at that position. If you need to upgrade someplace in your lineup, you either have to settle for a rookie or hope to get a good FA but that's a gamble.
[/quote]

if I were a GM I'd disagree. They brought this up briefly on NFL Live today. Teams this year will have the opportunity to fill holes via the draft first, finding younger cheaper talent. This will create less demand when free agency comes around.

I'd imagine every GM would love to have more holes filled before free agency, so that they don't have to overbid for a free agent.

[quote name='EnglishBengal' timestamp='1297893984' post='971002']
I know he was a good player in Jacksonville and never really worked last year in [b]Biffalo[/b] because he couldn't settle into their 3-4 scheme. Just wondered if he would be a good acquisition for the Bengals, assuming they could get him on the cheap?
[/quote]

Where is this Biffalo place on the map? :26:

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1297905255' post='971063']
if I were a GM I'd disagree. They brought this up briefly on NFL Live today. Teams this year will have the opportunity to fill holes via the draft first, finding younger cheaper talent. This will create less demand when free agency comes around.

I'd imagine every GM would love to have more holes filled before free agency, so that they don't have to overbid for a free agent.
[/quote]
It also will come at a disadvantage if a team fails to draft a player to fill a hole. Then the free agents have them by the short hairs and can ask for way more money.

Also, hell no to Stroud. He's old, hurt, and can't stop the run anymore.

I'd be far more interested in AJ Hawk. I can't imagine the Packers would cut him, but there's rumors that they may as his 2011 salary ($10 million) is guaranteed the day the new CBA starts. More likely that they work out a new deal though.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/15/a-j-hawks-contract-is-guaranteed-on-first-day-of-league-year/

Archived