A look at some O-line combine performances.

I haven't really done enough research yet to know a lot about these guys. This is just about workout numbers.

First of all among the centers UC's Jason Kelce showed amazing speed and agility He was first among all O-linemen in the 40 (4.89), short shuttle (4.14), and 3-cone drill (7.22). he also had the 3rd best long jump (9'2"). Unfortunately he only weighs 280.

Iowa guard Julian Vandervelde (6'2", 301) had a nice combine. He was first among guards in every event he event he participated in (5.14 forty, 31 vert, 8'8" broad jump, 7.46 three-cone) except the short shuttle (4.59) where he was only .06 slower than the leader. However he seems pretty small for an OG, and he didn't bench. That's a big red flag for me.

Penn State's Stefen Wisniewski (6'3", 313) is bigger than Vandervelde and his numbers were just slightly behind Vandervelde (5.26 forty, 28.5 vert, 8'4" broad jump, 7.51 three-cone, 4.63 short shuttle). But the biggest thing is he did 30 bench reps. Only one guard and 2 ots put up more than 30 reps.

BUt to me by far the most impressive performance among the guards was TCU's Marcus Cannon. Cannon is a GIANT (6'5", 358) who led all O-linemen with 33 bench reps, but also showed an amazing amount of athleticism for a guy his size. He outweighs Wisniewski by 45 lbs, but ran a faster forty (5.20), and out jumped him (30.5 vertical, 8'9" broad jump). I am immediately going to start researching Mr. Cannon. he sounds like the kind of guy Alexander loves.

Colorado's Nathanial Solder (6'8", 319) looks skinny, but he showed the best combination of athleticism among the OTs. First in the forty (4.97) and short shuttle (4.34), second (by 0.5 inch) in the vertical (32 in), third in the broad jump (9'2") and three cone (7.44). he only did 21 bench reps, but that could be a deceptive measure of his strength because of extra long arms. This is the kind of guy you just have to trust the scouts on. He could be the kind of guy who could add 15 lbs, get stronger, and turn into a pro Bowl LT. Or he could be a guy who could stand up and dance with college DEs but won't be able to play low enough for the NFL.

South Carolina's jerriel King (6'5", 317) is another guy who looks like he needs to get stronger but showed a lot of athleticism. He didn't bench, but he was first in the broad jump (9'6"), third in the forty (5.03), and put up good numbers in the verticle (30 in), short shuttle (4.77) and three-cone (7.60).

Boston College's Anthony Costanzo (6'7", 311) didn't seem to be bothered too much by having long arms. He ripped off an impressive 28 reps and looks like he could carry a lot more weight. He was first in the three-cone (7.25) and second in the short shuttle (4.40). he was also in the top 10 in the forty, broad jump, and vertical.

Wisconsin Gabe Carmini (6'7", 314) showed great explosiveness by finishing 4th in the forty (5.12), bench press (29), vertical (31.5), and broad jump (9'1"), but he did not compete in the short shutte or three-cone.. I have a feeling he will nail those later ina pro day workout. I love this guy, but he'll be gone before we take an O-lineman.

Georgia's Clint Boling (6'5", 308) also help himself with a good all around performance. 5.25 forty, 28 bench reps, 31 vertical, 8'6" broad jump, 4.64 short shuttle, 7.66 three cone

Central Forida's Jah Reid (6'7", 327) was second in both the bench (31) and broad jump (9'3"). he also finished in the top ten in the forty (5.26) and the short shuttle (4.65). His vertical (29.5) and three cone (7.73) were not bad. he is defeinitely a guy I am going to do a lot more research on.

[quote name='fredtoast' timestamp='1299012477' post='974113']

Central Forida's Jah Reid (6'7", 327) was second in both the bench (31) and broad jump (9'3"). he also finished in the top ten in the forty (5.26) and the short shuttle (4.65). His vertical (29.5) and three cone (7.73) were not bad. he is definitely a guy I am going to do a lot more research on.
[/quote]

What about this guy. Anyone know much about him. All I can find is that he is a late round prospect.

[quote name='fredtoast' timestamp='1299116320' post='974585']
What about this guy. Anyone know much about him. All I can find is that he is a late round prospect.
[/quote]

I forget who it was, but someone had him as a late first/early 2nd round guy not too long ago.

Mayock seemed to like him Senior Bowl week.

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1299120711' post='974601']
I like Gabe Carimi, so much so that I would trade down to about 15 to get him
[/quote]

He is about as safe of a pick as there is in the draft. Good size. Good athleticism. Comes from a good program for O-linemen. No red flags.

I'd love to get the guy.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1299198581' post='974945']
That's awfully high for a guard.
[/quote]

Carmini will be an OT in the NFL.

But I agree that we shouldn't use a first round pick on an O-lineman because I think our biggest need is at OG and we can still get one of the top OGs in the 2nd or third rounds (or an OT who projects as an oG in the NFL)

[quote name='fredtoast' timestamp='1299202942' post='974977']
Carmini will be an OT in the NFL.

But I agree that we shouldn't use a first round pick o an O-lineman because I think our biggest need is at OG and we can still get one of the top OGs in the 2nd or third rounds (or an OT who projects as an oG in the NFL)
[/quote]

I agree, Carimi will be a tackle anywhere else. If we draft him he will be a guard.

• 2 weeks later...
If we took Marcus Cannon in round 2 I would mind at all.

Put him in at left guard, and move Andre Smith to RG (I know that won't happen though with Smith, I think the coaches want to leave him at RT).

The O-line for next season would be:
LT - Whitworth
LG - Cannon
C - Cook
RG - Smith
RT - Collins

I would feel much better about the O-line with this lineup.

Archived