Bengals should reconsider Palmer stance with Dalton in mix

[quote name='sparky151' timestamp='1304738627' post='991442']
That's just dumb enough that Mike Brown would do it like that. Carson's trade value is highest before the 2011 season. He is arguably the best available option for the QB needy teams. Sure, you don't know what draft slot they'll be picking in but if you wait, you won't get a high first round pick for Carson anyway, especially if he sits out the year. The teams with high first round picks will be looking at the 2012 draft to fill their QB needs and have some hope to offer their fans. When the trade window opens, Mike Brown should spread the word that Carson is available and will be traded for an acceptable offer. Seattle, Arizona, Washington, and Miami are obvious candidates to trade for Carson. Maybe Oakland or even San Fran too.
[/quote]

I'm not sure at all what Palmer's value is right now or what it will be a year from now. I think waiting actually increases his value since it proves the Bengals are not dealing out of desperation. Currently, the Bengals lack leverage given Palmer's retirement threat. Sitting on his rights for a year will prove they are serious about only trading him if the deal is beneficial to the team. He will not be given away just to get something/anything in return. Sure, there are teams in need of help at QB in 2011, but I'm sure there will still be teams needing help in 2012 as well. I don't think a year away from football will hurt Palmer's value since he won't risk injury or get the chance to put up another year of poor performance.

[quote name='Inigo Montoya' timestamp='1304830385' post='991571']
I'm not sure at all what Palmer's value is right now or what it will be a year from now. I think waiting actually increases his value since it proves the Bengals are not dealing out of desperation. Currently, the Bengals lack leverage given Palmer's retirement threat. Sitting on his rights for a year will prove they are serious about only trading him if the deal is beneficial to the team. He will not be given away just to get something/anything in return. Sure, there are teams in need of help at QB in 2011, but I'm sure there will still be teams needing help in 2012 as well. I don't think a year away from football will hurt Palmer's value since he won't risk injury or get the chance to put up another year of poor performance.
[/quote]

Agreed on all points.

[quote name='kennethmw' timestamp='1304961225' post='991716']
Agreed on all points.
[/quote]

Also, if instead of draft picks we trade for a player plus a lesser pick, we might get a better
deal. Often there are players that are pretty decent that are just going to be cut soon. So the
value we get is more than the same player is worth to them - just like Carson's value to us is low
at the moment.

[quote name='Inigo Montoya' timestamp='1304830385' post='991571']
[/quote]

I definitely disagree.

First, Palmer's value goes down the longer he is away from the game. If a team is going to give up a 1st rounder (or some other big return), they are going to want Palmer to step in immediately as their starter. The longer he's away, the rustier he gets and the less of a sure thing he is for some other team.

Second, Palmer's value has very little to do with the Bengals and whether they have to trade him or want to trade him or whatever. His value will be determined by multiple teams wanting him. It's like an Ebay auction. It doesn't matter why the seller is selling, the price is determined by the interested bidders. I might buy your point if only one team was potentially interested and thus "bidding against themselves," but that really does not seem to be the case as Seattle, Miami, Arizona and Washington are all QB-needy teams who missed out entirely on QBs in the draft.

[quote name='happyrid' timestamp='1304962151' post='991721']
I definitely disagree.

First, Palmer's value goes down the longer he is away from the game. If a team is going to give up a 1st rounder (or some other big return), they are going to want Palmer to step in immediately as their starter. The longer he's away, the rustier he gets and the less of a sure thing he is for some other team.

Second, Palmer's value has very little to do with the Bengals and whether they have to trade him or want to trade him or whatever. His value will be determined by multiple teams wanting him. It's like an Ebay auction. It doesn't matter why the seller is selling, the price is determined by the interested bidders. I might buy your point if only one team was potentially interested and thus "bidding against themselves," but that really does not seem to be the case as Seattle, Miami, Arizona and Washington are all QB-needy teams who missed out entirely on QBs in the draft.
[/quote]

I would disagree. One year out of the game will not hurt Palmer's value, in fact it might enhance it, since it would give him a year without stress on both of his injury concern areas, his knee and elbow. Secondly, none of the teams that Carson has a desire to go to, have adequately addressed their needs currently, and with the exception of Kolb (maybe) most will have to stopgap this year. Additionally, a year away may make Carson decide to play other places, so a Miami, Denver or Washington might move on to the list of his "DESIRED" places.

[quote name='kennethmw' timestamp='1304963204' post='991723']
I would disagree. One year out of the game will not hurt Palmer's value, in fact it might enhance it, since it would give him a year without stress on both of his injury concern areas, his knee and elbow. Secondly, none of the teams that Carson has a desire to go to, have adequately addressed their needs currently, and with the exception of Kolb (maybe) most will have to stopgap this year. Additionally, a year away may make Carson decide to play other places, so a Miami, Denver or Washington might move on to the list of his "DESIRED" places.
[/quote]

A year out of the league will certainly reduce Carson's trade value. He may be healthy but should be healthy enough to pass any team's physical at the start of training camp. I don't believe he's had surgery this offseason.

The current alternatives to Carson for QB needy teams are Kolb, Bulger, McNabb, Young, and maybe Orton. Carson has a higher realistic ceiling than any of those guys. Before the draft next year teams will consider Carson as an alternative to trading into position for Luck, Barkley, Foles, Jones, or whoever else looks like a future longtime franchise QB. Teams always fall in love with college QBs and overdraft them, as seen in this year's draft.

Personally I think Carson may prefer the west coast but will be willing to accept other destinations if he get's his wish to be traded. I don't think he really wants to retire and would accept a trade to Miami, Washington or elsewhere. Maybe even Buffalo.

[url="http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/15047115/five-trades-that-need-to-happen-when-lockout-ends"][b]5 trades that need to happen when the lockout ends
[/b][/url][b]Clark Judge, CBS Sports
[/b]

[url="http://www.espn1530.com/nfl/players/playerpage/396173/carson-palmer"][color="#3b5998"][b]Carson Palmer[/b][/color][/url][b] to Seattle:[/b] This one's a longshot because I don't think Cincinnati -- OK, owner Mike Brown -- is going to budge on Palmer, which means I don't think the Bengals make a deal with anyone before next year -- if at all. Nevertheless, the [url="http://www.espn1530.com/nfl/teams/page/SEA/seattle-seahawks"][color="#3b5998"]Seahawks[/color][/url] should press them into doing [i]something.[/i] Palmer won't play again for Cincinnati, and the coaches there know it, his teammates know it and, frankly, I think Brown knows it. But there's a precedent involved, and if Brown lets Palmer walk, guaranteed, the line starts forming today at the company exit. That will make Brown reluctant, but it should push Seattle that much harder into making Brown an offer he can't refuse.

Look, the Seahawks surrendered their second-round position and a third-round draft pick for Charlie Whitehurst, and from what I've seen of Whitehurst he's not the answer. Palmer is. He played for Pete Carroll at USC, he's 31, he's at home on the West Coast and he could mentor Whitehurst. I know, Matt Hasselbeck could, too, but he's an unrestricted free agent, and the Seahawks seem lukewarm about re-signing him. So Seattle should push hard for Palmer as it pushed hard for Whitehurst, and who cares if they overpay? You must solve this position, especially now that St. Louis is armed and ready to take back a division it once controlled. I can't imagine a better or more logical solution than Carson Palmer

Archived