Gadhafi is dead

Jamie_B

[b] [size=3][url="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44971257/ns/world_news-mideast_n_africa/#.TqAfIN6Ao8k"]http://www.msnbc.msn...a/#.TqAfIN6Ao8k[/url][/size][/b]

[quote]
[b] Ousted dictator Moammar Gadhafi is dead, Libyan official says[/b]

[b] AFP news agency provides photograph that appears to show a bloodied Gadhafi[/b]

[size=4][url="http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&where1=SIRTE,%20Libya&sty=h&form=msdate"]SIRTE, Libya[/url] — [/size]Deposed Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi died of wounds suffered in his capture near his hometown of Sirte on Thursday, a senior National Transitional Council military official and a government minister said.

The military official, Abdel Majid Mlegta, had told Reuters earlier that Gadhafi was captured and wounded in both legs at dawn on Thursday as he tried to flee in a convoy which NATO warplanes had attacked.

"He was also hit in his head," said Mlegta. "There was a lot of firing against his group and he died."

Asked if there was photographic evidence to prove that Gadhafi was dead, Mlegta said: "We have the footage but it is not available now."

However, the AFP news agency provided a photograph that appeared to show a wounded or dead Gadhafi. The image has not been independently verified.

Information Minister Mahmoud Shammam told the AP that he had confirmed that Gadhafi was dead from fighters who said they saw the body.

Past reports of Gadhafi family deaths or captures have later proven incorrect.

NATO and the U.S. State Department said they could not confirm the reports, but were attempting to find out exactly what had happened.

"We are checking and assessing the situation,"' a NATO official said. "Clearly these are very significant developments, which will take time to confirm. If it is true, then this is truly a historic day for the people of Libya.''

Mlegta reported Gadhafi's death after Libyan interim government fighters took Sirte on Thursday, extinguishing the last significant resistance by forces loyal to the former leader and ending a two-month siege.

NATO warplanes struck the convoy and hit four cars as it headed west, Mlegta said, adding that the head of Gadhafi's armed forces Abu Bakr Younus Jabr had been killed during the attack.

Ahmed Ibrahim, a cousin and adviser of Gadhafi, was captured along with former government spokesman Moussa Ibrahim, he added.

A Libyan government fighter gave an apparently different account of Gadhafi's capture to the one provided by Mlegta. The unnamed fighter claimed Gadhafi was hiding in a hole, shouting, "Don't shoot, don't shoot," when he was caught.
[color=#999999][size=3][url="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44971257/ns/world_news-mideast_n_africa/#slice-1"]Video: The end of the ‘mad dog of the Middle East’? [/url](on this page)[/size][/color]
[b]Tripoli celebrates [/b]
The sound of cars and boats in the harbor honking their horns in Tripoli, apparently as people heard the reports, threatened to drown out al-Jazeera's television report live from the capital.

Celebratory gunfire could also be heard and people cheered in the street: "God is Great, God is Great, Gadhafi has been captured."

Libyan fighters overran the remaining positions of Gadhafi loyalists in Sirte Thursday. The loyalists had held out two months after the fall of the capital Tripoli.

Reporters at the scene watched the final assault begin around 8 a.m. and end about 90 minutes later, the AP reported.

Just before the assault, loyalists in a convoy tried to flee the enclave down the coastal highway but they were met by gunfire from the revolutionaries, who killed at least 20 of them, according to the AP.

"Our forces control the last neighborhood in Sirte," Hassan Draoua, a member of Libya's interim National Transitional Council, told the AP in Tripoli. "The city has been liberated."

NTC fighters told Reuters that a group of some 40 vehicles carrying Gadhafi forces had broken out of the city and had headed west.
[color=#999999][size=3][url="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44971257/ns/world_news-mideast_n_africa/#slice-3"]Slideshow: Conflict in Libya [/url](on this page)[/size][/color]
"The Gadhafi people broke out west, but the revolutionaries have them surrounded and are dealing with them," said one of the fighters, Abdul Salam Mohammad.

Meanwhile, Colonel Yunus Al Abdali, head of operations in the eastern half of Sirte, told Reuters that there were no Gadhafi forces left in Sirte.

"We are now chasing his fighters who are trying to run away," he said.

However, troops did not allow reporters to enter the positions formerly held by the Gadhafi loyalists as what they described as mopping up operations were still under way, Reuters said.
[color=#999999][size=3][url="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44971257/ns/world_news-mideast_n_africa/#slice-1"]Video: Libyan rebels unveil massive hybrid tank [/url](on this page)[/size][/color]
Despite the fall of Tripoli on Aug, 21, Gadhafi loyalists mounted fierce resistance in several areas, including Sirte, preventing Libya's new leaders from declaring full victory in the eight-month civil war.

Earlier this week, revolutionary fighters gained control of one stronghold, Bani Walid, and by Tuesday said they had squeezed Gadhafi's forces in Sirte into a residential area of about 700 square yards.
[size=4][url="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44931778/ns/world_news-mideast_n_africa/t/libya-government-says-its-flag-flies-over-bani-walid/"]Story: Libya government says its flag flies over Bani Walid[/url][/size]
In an illustration of how difficult and slow the fighting for Sirte was, it took the anti-Gadhafi fighters, who also faced disorganization in their own ranks, two days to capture a single residential building.

It is unclear whether Gadhafi loyalists who have escaped might continue the fight and attempt to organize an insurgency using the vast amount of weapons Gadhafi was believed to have stored in hideouts in the remote southern desert.

Regional and ethnic differences have already appeared among the ranks of the revolutionaries, possibly laying the foundation for civil strife.

[/quote]

[quote name='Go Skins' timestamp='1319146640' post='1049267']
A show in the 80's predicted this:
[url="http://www.hollywood.com/news/An_80s_Matthew_Perry_Sitcom_Predicted_the_2011_Death_of_Muammar_Gaddafi/7918441"]http://www.hollywood...Gaddafi/7918441[/url]
[/quote]

They were off by 3 months.

:ninja:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/21/jon-stewart-gaddafi-republican-reaction-video_n_1023673.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000009

Hilarious John Stewart on The Republican response. Republicans are assholes. They dont give a shit about this country. They just want to get back in power and if the country goes to shit on the way who cares. They play by completely different rules and then point to the damn economy.

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1319235770' post='1049657']
[url="http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/21/jon-stewart-gaddafi-republican-reaction-video_n_1023673.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000009"]http://www.huffingto...kusaolp00000009[/url]

Hilarious John Stewart on The Republican response. Republicans are assholes. They dont give a shit about this country. They just want to get back in power and if the country goes to shit on the way who cares. They play by completely different rules and then point to the damn economy.
[/quote]
There are just as many self-entilted, elitist assholes in the Democrat party as well. You are painting with an awfully broad brush, and you're being presumptuous to boot. BOTH parties play by the same rules...unfortunately the rules for THEM are different than the rules for the REST OF US.

[quote name='Bunghole' timestamp='1319287845' post='1049775']
There are just as many self-entilted, elitist assholes in the Democrat party as well. You are painting with an awfully broad brush, and you're being presumptuous to boot. BOTH parties play by the same rules...unfortunately the rules for THEM are different than the rules for the REST OF US.
[/quote]

That simply not true. The goal of one party is the consumption of wealth and the status quo. They will do whatever it takes to reach that goal. That my argument. You may have elitist assholes on the left but they are far less Macheavelian.

Can you name a similar situation with Democrats? I will admit my bias and that I have a confirmation bias. It may be that they exist but I just don't tend to go to those websites.

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1319301984' post='1049835']

That simply not true. [b]The goal of one party is the consumption of wealth and the status quo. They will do whatever it takes to reach that goal.[/b] That my argument. You may have elitist assholes on the left but they are far less Macheavelian.

[b]Can you name a similar situation with Democrats?[/b] I will admit my bias and that I have a confirmation bias. It may be that they exist but I just don't tend to go to those websites.
[/quote]
Are you fucking kidding me? Start with Al Gore, Mr Environmentalist himself, find out about his carbon footprint (his home), his accumulation of wealth and expenditures thereof, and get back to me. He's a bloated, fat, bearded hypocrite. So are many on the right. At the upper levels of the political machine they ARE ALL THE SAME. The only thing that keeps me from totally losing all faith in our system (a system that needs some serious tweaks WRT campaign finance reform, the introduction of some viable alternative political parties, etc) is that there's likely enough younger politicians at local and state levels as well as in the House of Representatives that aren't so jaded, cynical and might actually hold the interests of our nation and their constituency ahead of their own self-gratification and edification.

[quote name='Bunghole' timestamp='1319313515' post='1049864']

Are you fucking kidding me? Start with Al Gore, Mr Environmentalist himself, find out about his carbon footprint (his home), his accumulation of wealth and expenditures thereof, and get back to me. He's a bloated, fat, bearded hypocrite. So are many on the right. At the upper levels of the political machine they ARE ALL THE SAME. The only thing that keeps me from totally losing all faith in our system (a system that needs some serious tweaks WRT campaign finance reform, the introduction of some viable alternative political parties, etc) is that there's likely enough younger politicians at local and state levels as well as in the House of Representatives that aren't so jaded, cynical and might actually hold the interests of our nation and their constituency ahead of their own self-gratification and edification.
[/quote]

you have more faith in that than I do I think it's going to take a serious effort on the part of the people to bring the politicians where we want them

[/quote]

You are making a different argument. Gore may be all the things you say. That does not mean that he values hurting the country for his own gains.

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1319318563' post='1049885']

You are making a different argument. Gore may be all the things you say. That does not mean that he values hurting the country for his own gains.
[/quote]
I don't think Republicans think they are hurting the country by pursuing their agenda either. I don't think Democrats think they are hurting the country by expanding government spending...just like the Republicans did. Or continuing wars. Or voting for them when the "other side" is in office. Or whatever. They are the SAME, they just say different things.

[/quote]

How dare you speak that way of the man who created the very internet that you now desecrate his name on!!!

That being said, I tend to think of the democraps as 1/1,000,000,000,000 less evil than the repubots. Just for the simple fact that they seem to have less of the robots that follow them into an incinerator than the others. Just my personal observation.

[quote name='Bunghole' timestamp='1319324361' post='1049895']
I don't think Republicans think they are hurting the country by pursuing their agenda either. I don't think Democrats think they are hurting the country by expanding government spending...just like the Republicans did. Or continuing wars. Or voting for them when the "other side" is in office. Or whatever. They are the SAME, they just say different things.
[/quote]

Republicans are currently saying that they want Obama to fail no matter what. The leader of their damn party publicly said it. That obstructionism and anti whateverism. is completely different then trying to move forward and having it be the wrong way to go. I dont beleive you dont see this. Saying we wont hire anyone to defeat the dems is very differnt then saying we wont hire anyone because we beleive thats sound fiscal strategy.

Archived