Reds invovled in major trade with Padres

BigDawgBengal

[indent=1][url="http://twitter.com/#!/Buster_ESPN"]@Buster_ESPN[/url][color=#999999][size=4]Buster Olney[/size][/color]

Reds are said to be talking about a lot of trade possibilities... Offering a whole range of players.

[url="http://twitter.com/#!/Buster_ESPN/status/143793655898058752"]2 hours ago [/url][color=#999999][size=3]via [url="http://mobile.twitter.com/"]Mobile Web[/url][/size][/color][/indent]

We know Alonso is out there but any word/rumors who the others are?

I fear one of them is Votto.

I would guess Votto, Bailey, Volquez, Heisy, Arroyo (his contract keeps him here though), Rolen, and a reliever or 2 at the major league level. Could be anyone down in the minors.

I saw on hardballtalk.com, it's an off-site related to PFT, that we were going after Jair Jurgens really hard, but they wanted an outfielder. I don't like the idea of getting rid of Alonso when Joey could be gone soon..

A little OT, but the Marlins are going balls-the-fuck out. Just got Reyes and now are about to top the Cards for Pujols. I really hope they do.

I'm definitely all for Pujols going to Miami,or anywhere, to get him out of this division.

With Alonso dropping weight it looks like he'll be playing out in left, probably starting.

There are a few questions I would like to see answers to:
1. Who are we willing to trade and who is untouchable? 2 untouchables have to be Cueto and Bruce. And maybe Brandon.

2. Who starts at 3rd this year? Francisco is the future right now but is he ready for 162 games at the major league level?

2a. Will Rolen accept going to the bench if he is healthy?

3. What is going to happen to Chapman? Will he transition to starter? Closer? Same role? Time to make a decision and stick to it.

4. Who is the SS? (It better not be janish) Do we stick with cozart or get one in FA?

The lineup seems pretty much set with the exceptions of 3rd and SS.

[quote]Although there is a report to the contrary, the Reds do not appear to be going hard after Braves starter Jair Jurrjens.

A tweet from SI.com and MLB Network reporter Jon Heyman on Monday night said the Reds were "very interested" in Jurrjens as a possible No. 2 starter for their rotation. It also said 10 teams were involved in pursuing the right-hander.

A baseball source familiar with the Reds' situation told MLB.com on Monday that there was no interest on their part to pursue Jurrjens. Another issue is that Atlanta and Cincinnati don't appear to match up well for a trade.[/quote]

[quote]The Rockies and Reds, two teams willing to talk about myriad trade scenarios at this week's winter meetings, have discussed a deal involving reliever [url="http://www.denverpost.com/rockies/ci_19477770#"]Huston Street[/url] in exchange for starter Edinson Volquez, according to a major-league source.

While it would satisfy needs for both teams — Colorado wants a relatively young starter with upside, Cincinnati has a closer vacancy — it's complicated by money. To even consider absorbing Street's remaining $8 million salary, the Reds would want a Single-A or Double-A pitching prospect in return. Moving Street has become a priority as the Rockies look to create payroll space to pursue other targets this winter.
[/quote]

So it sounds like Pujols is staying in St. Louis.

On one hand, it sucks, because he is a bad, bad man. On a brighter note, this will keep the Cards paying him 20 million a year until he's almost 42 years old. He's already good for at least one injury a year now. When he hits 37/38, the Cards could be in bad shape. Not going to be able to bring in too many key guys with Pujols taking up 1/5 of the payroll.

I just loathe those fuckers. I really wanted to watch Pujols leave so they could suck, but now it looks like their window will be closing soon anyways.

Haven't seen much Reds news other than we want a starting pitcher, a closer, and a backup shortstop.

I don't mind the Cards keeping Pujols. It's going to suck having to face him every year but that contract could cripple the franchise. Having to pay 22 million a year for ten years is probably going to keep them from signing any more players to huge deals. I could see them losing Carpenter and Wainright or both in the future. If he is older than he says he is like a bunch of teams believe, then more injuries are going to happen and production will fall.

[quote name='BengalRep85-9' timestamp='1323149313' post='1071672']
I'm definitely all for Pujols going to Miami,or anywhere, to get him out of this division.

With Alonso dropping weight it looks like he'll be playing out in left, probably starting.

There are a few questions I would like to see answers to:
1. Who are we willing to trade and who is untouchable? 2 untouchables have to be Cueto and Bruce. And maybe Brandon.

2. Who starts at 3rd this year? Francisco is the future right now but is he ready for 162 games at the major league level?

2a. Will Rolen accept going to the bench if he is healthy?

3. What is going to happen to Chapman? Will he transition to starter? Closer? Same role? Time to make a decision and stick to it.

4. Who is the SS? (It better not be janish) Do we stick with cozart or get one in FA?

The lineup seems pretty much set with the exceptions of 3rd and SS.
[/quote]

1. I would agree that Cueto and Bruce are untouchable. Everything I am hearing says Votto is not going anywhere, but Urban Meyer denied being incolved with OSU until he was hired too. :) I think Hamilton and Mesarocco are all but untouchable as well.

2. I would seriously consider a Rolen/Francisco platoon. Maybe not s straight platoon, but I don't know if I would start Rolen much more than half the time. But I'd get him a LOT of pinch hits and late inning defensive replacements in the games he does not start.

3. Chapman is headed to the rotation.

4. According to Marty, he thinks Cozart will be the guy.

Another move I would seriously consider is moving Homer to closer. He tends to be hardest to hit his first time through the lineup, and if he only has to pitch 1 inning, I'm sure he could consistently hit 97.

Interestingly enough, I thought PooTurd would be gone by now.

Looks like the Angels and a mystery team are making a hard push. Makes me think the Cardinals rescinded their offer after Miami signed Buehrle.

[quote]The [b]Reds[/b] have spoken to the un-retired [b][url="http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/y/youngdm01.shtml?utm_source=direct&utm_medium=linker&utm_campaign=Linker"]Dmitri Young[/url][/b]. Young, 38, has lost 70 pounds and is [url="http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/12/free-agent-notes-oswalt-furcal-renteria.html"]looking to make a comeback[/url] in either the Major Leagues or Japan. [/quote]

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1323367161' post='1072240']
He's got 445 right meow. Anyone thinks he overtakes Hank and Barry's* record? I'd say he has at least 5 good years left. Anaheim is going to get buttfucked on the backend of that contract.
[/quote]
He has a good chance. Going to the AL was the best thing for him. He can move to DH in a few years and it will add several years to his career. He will probably get to 700 but not sure how far over that he will get.

[quote name='gatorclaws' timestamp='1323370322' post='1072255']
I hate seeing this team refuse to go all in for the few remaining years we have Votto. The division is prime for the taking, just need to make a solid move or two.
[/quote]
Extremely disappointing. The window is closing fast and this division will not be very good. I'd love to see them get a guy like Mike Cuddyer or a solid pitcher.

If they just signed Joey long term, I would feel so much better..

[quote name='JC' timestamp='1323398339' post='1072383']
Extremely disappointing. The window is closing fast and this division will not be very good. I'd love to see them get a guy like Mike Cuddyer or a solid pitcher.

[b]If they just signed Joey long term[/b], I would feel so much better..
[/quote]
It takes 2 to tango. Maybe joey wants to go home to Toronto.

Doesn't really make much sense from a winning stand point with Boston and the Yankees in that division though.

Archived