Guest BadassBengal
[quote name='BengalBacker' date='Jun 23 2005, 12:11 AM']We are??????
Fuck that.
[right][post="106235"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Fuck that right in the ass.

[b]RIGHT IN THE ASS![/b]

Just to try and drive home some points, I compared Simmons with one of the greatest to play LB, Junior Seau. Seau has had a long and celebrated career that includes 12 pro bowl berths and is a certian Hall-of-Fame induction. I used a lot of math here, but I assure you it is all accurate.

Seau has played 223 games, and Simmons has played 94, so comparing overall stats is simply an unlevel playing field. In this example, I basically took Simmons current career stats and multiplied them by 2.372 because Seau has played 2.372 as many games to date. These are the average of his stats.

Junior Seau's career to date:

GMS TACK ASSIST TOT SACKS PD INT
223 1310 324 1634 51 89 15

Brian Simmons average @ 223 Games:

223 1027 342 1369 45 69 17

223 games/16 games per = 13.9375 seasons rounded up to 14. Each of these 14 seasons Simmons had 19 fewer tackles per year, less than .5 fewer sacks per year, and less than 1.5 fewer passes defensed through this mock career.

I also did this in reverse. Simmons has played a total of 94 games through his carrier, so I took Seau's first 6 years as a pro in comparison. His first 6 years equaled 95 games, so I pro-rated his last season stats to take off one game. That is .0625 or 1/16th taken off of his 1995 stats. Then I adding all of his stats prior to 1995 to get my totals. I couldnt use actual game by game stats due to lack of reference, so I didnt adjust the sacks or int for Seau.

Junior Seau in his first 94 games (last season pro-rated):

94 587 135 722 20 32 6

Brian Simmons' Career to date:

94 433 144 577 19 29 7

94 games/16 games per = 5.875 seasons rounded up to 6. These 6 seasons found that Simmons had 24 fewer tackles per year, less than .2 fewer sacks per year, and .5 fewer passes defended per year comparatively through their first 6 seasons. Truly how big of a difference is that? Not much for my case and point.

Am I saying Simmons is a Hall of Famer? No. Did I show that he has had a solid career thus far? Absolutely. Simmons isnt Seau or a perennial, thats not my point, but Simmons has played well with us. The difference in stats between this solid player, and a future Hall-of-Famer is very slight indeed. His dedication and on-the-field leadership should make him all the more valuable to us, and I hope he continues on the path hes walked so far.

For those who would like to argue the claim of "how he actually plays on the field", I say go back and watch him play through ALL of the game, not just what the replay shows...

On a personal note, I find it disturbing that I actually had to waist 2 hrs out of my life, just to prove something that should already be well known here. I shouldnt have to convince fellow fans that a long time contributor is just that, a contributor. What games are you watching? Are you really that bad off, or are you just trying to stoke the fire for your childish entertainment? Either way, its all in bad form.

These links, math, the pro-rating, and rounding up will confirm my numbers.

Junior Seau
[url="http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com//football/nfl/players/1548/"]http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com//football/nfl/players/1548/[/url]

Brian Simmons
[url="http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com//football/nfl/players/4281/"]http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com//football/nfl/players/4281/[/url]

[quote name='BengalBacker' date='Jun 22 2005, 11:11 PM']We are??????
Fuck that.
[right][post="106235"][/post][/right][/quote]
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//24.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//24.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//24.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//24.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//24.gif[/img]

[quote name='BadassBengal' date='Jun 23 2005, 12:18 AM']I dunno. There was a link floatin around the board. And he's consistantly been in the top 20 in tackles. There's about 2 or 3 safeties in that list, so that makes 17 linebackers. And the majority of LBs with high tackle numbers are MLBS, so that cuts it down to at least 10 OLBs in the top 20, which BS is part of. He PWNS
[right][post="106211"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

No he is right on this one.. Simmons is top in league in tackles... foxsports got it as well as nfl.com

[quote]I dunno. There was a link floatin around the board. And he's consistantly been in the top 20 in tackles. There's about 2 or 3 safeties in that list, so that makes 17 linebackers. And the majority of LBs with high tackle numbers are MLBS, so that cuts it down to at least 10 OLBs in the top 20, which BS is part of. He PWNS[/quote]
Here is a link to stats on ESPN.com [url="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/statistics?stat=def&sort=tack&league=nfl&season=2&year=2004"]http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/statistics?s...son=2&year=2004[/url]
Simmons is tied for 18th in total tackles, but if you take out safeties and MLBs he is in the top 10.

This thread started as a bash (well, once BJ chimed in it became a bash) against Simmons cuz he doesn't sack the QB. Well, BS does other things like forcing fumbles and getting interceptions. There are only 5 LBs with more Tackles + Sacks + FF + INT. Bulluck, Bruschi & Brooks are 3 of the best in the game, thats pretty good company. Simmons also had TD last year too, what else does he have to do???

NAME TACKLES SACKS FF INT
Keith Bulluck LB, TEN 152 5.0 1 2
D. Edwards LB, SDG 151 1.0 2 5
D. Brooks LB, TAM 137 3.0 2 1
Mike Peterson LB, JAC 126 5.0 1 0
Tedy Bruschi LB, NWE 120 3.5 2 3
Brian Simmons LB, CIN 107 1.0 3 2

If you want to bash Simmons please back it up with some stats.

Eventually Landon Johnson will take over for Simmons and he will be a good LB but for now Simmons is one of the best defensive players on the team.

[quote name='Bunghole' date='Jun 22 2005, 09:45 PM']I think the reason some don't like Simmons is his lack of fiery intensity, which is not to be confused with production on the field...I guess I'll agree with both sides...

I wish he had more swagger and attitude, but I appreciate his excellent (if somewhat silent) contributions to our defense, particularly given the fact that he has stuck around through the horrid years instead of bolting like his draft mate Spikes.

Then again, OVERLY mouthy players like Ray Lewis carry their own set of annoyances (like murder, having a big fucking mouth, etc)...so...let's keep Simmons until he loses his job to an up-and-comer....
[right][post="106173"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Brian Simmons is a class act. UNC grad. he just knows whent to make plays and when to shut his mouth. They guy couldnt be beter in my book

God, I didn't know I was going to start world war III on this thread.

Just for the record I think Simmons is an OK above average player who is solid enough for our D but he isn't up their with Ray Lewis, Derrick Brooks, Kieth Brooking, or Kieth Bullock(the leagues most underrated LB). Also, please bare in mind, its only been over the last few years that I've started to try and understand how each player position works on the field. I said he has a deficiency in his game - which isn't true from what's been said - because I'm still trying to undrstand the LB position more. I always hear about great LB's getting sacks so I was just curious. But from your comments I now understand the position more that a LB can also spend alot of time coverage and not have to rush the passer all the time - much appreciated. Also, I'm wondering how quick Simmons is 'cos he's only got a speed score of 77 on Madden 2004 which is slower than some of the other top LB's in that game.

English Bengal

[quote name='EnglishBengal' date='Jun 24 2005, 11:45 AM']God, I didn't know I was going to start world war III on this thread.

Just for the record I think Simmons is an OK above average player who is solid enough for our D but he isn't up their with Ray Lewis, Derrick Brooks, Kieth Brooking, or Kieth Bullock(the leagues most underrated LB).  Also, please bare in mind, its only been over the last few years that I've started to try and understand how each player position works on the field.  I said he has a deficiency in his game - which isn't true from what's been said - because I'm still trying to undrstand the LB position more.  I always hear about great LB's getting sacks so I was just curious.  But from your comments I now understand the position more that a LB can also spend alot of time coverage and not have to rush the passer all the time - much appreciated.  Also, I'm wondering how quick Simmons is 'cos he's only got a speed score of 77 on Madden 2004 which is slower than some of the other top LB's in that game.

English Bengal
[right][post="106706"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Just a word of advice take the madden ratings with a grain of salt

English Bengal... the linebacker is a very versitile position as you probably can now see lol. Don't believe all the hype about guys who are good at getting sacks, they are good players but the QB sack is overrated IMO. A good linebacker can shed blockers, get to ball and make a play. Simmons had 2 interceptions last year and returned one for a TD, i'll take an interception over a sack any day.

• 11 months later...
Guest IndianaBengal
This was the hot thread a year ago today. Anyone want to rebut their statement in leui of Odells uncertainty???? sorry, I cant spell worth a damm.

Guest ThurmanMunster

[quote name='BadassBengal' post='106245' date='Jun 23 2005, 12:31 AM']Fuck that right in the ass.
[size=14]
[b]RIGHT IN THE ASS![/b][/size][/quote]

hahahaha, ive never seen this post b4, i must of missed it. But BAB that was priceless. :lmao:

Guest bengalrick

now that really fucked w/ me... did you purposely bring a thread back that was last posted on almost exactly one year ago.... i was like "damn, where did this thread come from in the last half an hour!!!!" then i realized it was from jun 22, 200[b]5[/b]... makes much more sense now :D

[quote name='bengalrick' post='285634' date='Jun 22 2006, 03:50 PM']now that really fucked w/ me... did you purposely bring a thread back that was last posted on almost exactly one year ago.... i was like "damn, where did this thread come from in the last half an hour!!!!" then i realized it was from jun 22, 200[b]5[/b]... makes much more sense now :D[/quote]
i was very confused too and all of a sudden there were posts that i posted and i was really confused

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='285633' date='Jun 22 2006, 03:47 PM']hahahaha, ive never seen this post b4, i must of missed it. But BAB that was priceless. :lmao:[/quote]

BAB hasn't posted in over a week...I guess he's out for "personal reasons". :D

Guest ThurmanMunster

[quote name='Cricket' post='285638' date='Jun 22 2006, 03:57 PM']BAB hasn't posted in over a week...I guess he's out for "personal reasons". :D[/quote]

i havent seen him forever.

what'd he do now?

Guest Patmo
[quote name='BengalsCat' post='105857' date='Jun 22 2005, 10:32 AM']He had 1 in the denver game.......

He isnt a sack guy though i think he is more run suport and coverage lb... Because he did have 6.5 sacks in 01. But i dont think the scheme's me run have him going after the quaterback much[/quote]

In '01 he was a middle LB.

Guest IndianaBengal

hey, I just brought this thread back to have some NORMALTY in the forumn. I really am sick of the young bengal in trouble with the law threads tht I went back into the archives to see what we were talking about late June 05. Last year it was Marv is on the verge. We will do this and that. But this yr its all about this Bengal is in trouble with this and that. I know that all of you posters want this bullshit to cease. [color="#FF0000"][size=5]July 29th can't get here quick enuff...[/size][/color] :badger: :badger:

My opinion of Brian Simmons is very low. Given all the draft busts and botched moves of the era that was the Bengals between Paul Brown's death and Marvin's hiring, the decision to keep Simmons and let Spikes leave stands out as particularly bad. The Bengals made the penny-pinching, easy move and let the best draft pick the team made in the 1990's (sorry Corey Dillon) play out his contract and leave. Simmons is way too soft to play in our division and his speed and coverage abilities are highly overrated.

Guest bengalrick
[quote name='Inigo Montoya' post='285654' date='Jun 22 2006, 04:30 PM']My opinion of Brian Simmons is very low. Given all the draft busts and botched moves of the era that was the Bengals between Paul Brown's death and Marvin's hiring, the decision to keep Simmons and let Spikes leave stands out as particularly bad. The Bengals made the penny-pinching, easy move and let best draft pick the team made in the 1990's (sorry Corey Dillon) play out his contract and leave. Simmons is way too soft to play in our division and his speed and coverage abilities are highly overrated.[/quote]

that wasn't a decision... marvin practically begged takeo to stay... he chose not to...

and don't apoligize to leon mcdillon... he is a fuck and a malcontent...

and i'll just say that i disagree w/ your take on simmons... he is a very good lb... but yeah, i'd rather have takeo in that time period, but that wasn't up to us...

[quote name='ThurmanMunster' post='285643' date='Jun 22 2006, 04:10 PM']i havent seen him forever.
what'd he do now?[/quote]

Probabally mommy and daddy induced, because he isnt banned if thats what you mean.

Onyx, can BAB come out of his room now and play with the rest of us? [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/3.gif[/img]

[quote name='bengalrick' post='285660' date='Jun 22 2006, 04:39 PM']that wasn't a decision... marvin practically begged takeo to stay... he chose not to...

and don't apoligize to leon mcdillon... he is a fuck and a malcontent...

and i'll just say that i disagree w/ your take on simmons... he is a very good lb... but yeah, i'd rather have takeo in that time period, but that wasn't up to us...[/quote]

Wrong year. The Bengals re-signed Simmons a year before his rookie contract expired and allowed Spikes to play out his rookie deal. As I said, re-signing Simmons before the 2002 season was easy because Simmons was coming off an injury and wouldn't command the type of dough Takeo wanted. Takeo should have had his rookie contract torn up and been paid whatever it took to keep him BEFORE he became a free agent. And he also should have been franchised when he did become a free agent. Nobody in the NFL should let their best player walk and get nothing in compensation. Just my opinion.

Guest bengalrick
[quote name='Inigo Montoya' post='285673' date='Jun 22 2006, 04:57 PM']Wrong year. The Bengals re-signed Simmons a year before his rookie contract expired and allowed Spikes to play out his rookie deal. As I said, re-signing Simmons before the 2002 season was easy because Simmons was coming off an injury and wouldn't command the type of dough Takeo wanted. Takeo should have had his rookie contract torn up and been paid whatever it took to keep him BEFORE he became a free agent. And he also should have been franchised when he did become a free agent. Nobody in the NFL should let their best player walk and get nothing in compensation. Just my opinion.[/quote]

would you want to resign a deal after your team just went 2-14? i doubt takeo would have signed, though i don't know the stuff behind the scenes on this....

Guest ThurmanMunster
[quote name='Inigo Montoya' post='285654' date='Jun 22 2006, 04:30 PM']My opinion of Brian Simmons is very low. Given all the draft busts and botched moves of the era that was the Bengals between Paul Brown's death and Marvin's hiring, the decision to keep Simmons and let Spikes leave stands out as particularly bad. The Bengals made the penny-pinching, easy move and let the best draft pick the team made in the 1990's (sorry Corey Dillon) play out his contract and leave. Simmons is way too soft to play in our division and his speed and coverage abilities are highly overrated.[/quote]

Um, it wasnt our decision on the Takeo thing, he didnt want to be here. Why have a guy on ur team that doesnt want to be here...didnt we learn from Dillon?

Simmons and Takeo were a great duo and Simmons is a VERY good LB that is very underrated and it is ridiuclous that people are claiming shit on Simmons when he is a team guy that never bitches, plays his role and plays it well.

Id rather talk about the Jailed AFC North Champion Cincinnati Bengals than this retarded shit.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='285663' date='Jun 22 2006, 04:47 PM']Probabally mommy and daddy induced, because he isnt banned if thats what you mean.
sneaky, can BAB come out of his room now and play with the rest of us? [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/3.gif[/img][/quote]

he's probably too busy playing with himself. As i hear sneaky is too busy playing with his mom to answer this.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='285663' date='Jun 22 2006, 04:47 PM']Probabally mommy and daddy induced, because he isnt banned if thats what you mean.
sneaky, can BAB come out of his room now and play with the rest of us? [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//3.gif[/img][/quote]

I have no idea where that little fucker is at?

He doesnt live with me ,I just send his mom child support checks and I got a
lil less than a year and a half to go until I'm done!!!!! :badger: :badger: :badger: :badger:

I reckon that either.......

A. Go or somebody suspended him
B. His momma caught him making out with his imaginary girlfriend, so he is grounded.
C. He is working this summer as an intern with Kenny Chesney's tour manager.

^_^

Archived