68 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think the Bengals will take at 17 & 21?

• Trent Richardson
    • David Decastro
    • Cordy Glenn
    • Luke Kuechly
    • Michael Floyd
    • Kemdall Wright
    • Dre Kirkpatrick
    • Janorus Jenkins
    • Stephon Gilmore
    • Michael Brockers
    • Fletcher Cox
    • Doug Martion
    • David Wilson
    • Lamar Miller
    • Other (Specify below)

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1332424281' post='1110351']
Straight line he is definitely fast enough. I believe he had a good 40.
[/quote]

I think he was atleast top 5 for his position group for almost every thing at the combine fwiw.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1332424662' post='1110352']
maybe I'm just not watching the right games with Kuechly. He makes a lot of tackles, but he's not a wrecking ball and in the games I've watched teams purposely pick on him in the passing game.
[/quote]

Im going way off scouting reports and his combine numbers. When I watched his highlights I thought he would be too slow to be effective as a pro. Then he ran a 4.5 and great shuttle times. Getting an Andy Dalton for the defensive side of the ball would be my #1 priority. I thin that Ray Lewis demands so much of everyone on that D that everyone is good. You have Andy D and a stud MLB and I think we are good to go. Because I want that so badly I might just be projecting and trying to find that guy when he is not there.

[quote name='stan' timestamp='1332424807' post='1110354']
From what I have read on the internet,the Eagles really want Kuechly.
[/quote]

Just traded for Demeco Ryans

[b]PFW[/b]

[b]Upside: [/b]
• Rare production
• Exceptional instincts
• Around the ball a lot
• Extremely smart, focused and grounded
• Outstanding intangibles
• Two-time team captain
[b]Downside: [/b]
• Maxed-out frame (little room to grow)
• Can be stressed to the perimeter
• Not dynamic changing direction
• Few “splash” plays
• Not explosive — no dart and stack
[b]The Way We See It: [/b]
Very humble, dedicated, intensely competitive and focused middle ’backer ideally suited for a 4-3 front. Is all football all the time and will make himself a fixture in the center of whatever defense drafts him for the next 10 years. One of the safest picks in the draft.

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1332425147' post='1110356']

Im going way off scouting reports and his combine numbers. When I watched his highlights I thought he would be too slow to be effective as a pro. Then he ran a 4.5 and great shuttle times. Getting an Andy Dalton for the defensive side of the ball would be my #1 priority. I thin that Ray Lewis demands so much of everyone on that D that everyone is good. You have Andy D and [b]a stud MLB [/b]and I think we are good to go. Because I want that so badly I might just be projecting and trying to find that guy when he is not there.

[/quote]

IMO, he's not that. Not in the sense of a lewis, willis, ryans, or even mcclain.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1332424662' post='1110352']
maybe I'm just not watching the right games with Kuechly. He makes a lot of tackles, but he's not a wrecking ball and in the games I've watched teams purposely pick on him in the passing game.
[/quote]

I agree 81. I'd much prefer Hightower. The games that I watched of him I purposely watched only him and while he garners tackles I didn't see a difference maker. Reminds me of Dan Connor. Good not great. Maybe all we need though is someone who will not miss tackles and will be where they are supposed to be 100 percent of the time.

[quote name='nkywestside' timestamp='1332425531' post='1110364']

I agree 81. I'd much prefer Hightower. The games that I watched of him I purposely watched only him and while he garners tackles I didn't see a difference maker. Reminds me of Dan Connor. Good not great. Maybe all we need though is someone who will not miss tackles and will be where they are supposed to be 100 percent of the time.
[/quote]

But is that worth a first round pick?

The 4.5 and shuttle times show me explosion that I just dont see in the tapes.

I would still like to see DeCastro or Glenn, but I have my doubts now. Kuechly and Trent are also both very appealing, but I'm still not sure either makes it that far. Ditto for Floyd.

I don't want Jenkins and I doubt the Bengals will take him in 1.

I'm going to guess Cox and Gilmore.

What ESPN says about his pass defense
"Lacks ideal change of direction skills and has some man-to-man coverage limitations, as a result. However, he's in the upper echelon of ILB prospects when it comes to zone coverage responsibilities. Awareness in coverage is outstanding. Reads his keys and diagnoses quickly. Gets good depth in his zone drops and very adept at reading the QB's eyes. Has shown ability to turn and run on a straight-line with bigger WRs down the seam (see: vs. Miami WR #8 Streeter in 2011with 6:18 remaining 2nd QTR). A playmaker with above average ball skills (7 INTs in three seasons). Has shown flashes of pass rushing potential (good awareness and adequate closing burst) but at his best in zone coverage."

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1332425384' post='1110362']

IMO, he's not that. Not in the sense of a lewis, willis, ryans, or even mcclain.
[/quote]
His football speed is nowhere near his timed speeds. He plays rather pedestrian as far as speed and quickness goes. His instincts in the run game is pretty good but it looks like he hesitates quite a bit in the passing game.

I wonder how Kuechly did in the team interview. Was he a slam dunk like Whitworth was? No one projected Whitworth to anything other than a a very good LG and now is a top LT in the league. As well as the undisputed leader of the team. Could Kuechly be that type of guy on Defense, especially at Middle Linebacker? Smarts, game tape, athletism and all the intangibles and great character as well.

I'm not saying he is that guy just throwing it out there.

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1332425609' post='1110366']

But is that worth a first round pick?

The 4.5 and shuttle times show me explosion that I just dont see in the tapes.
[/quote]

The times from the combine are impressive. However, I don't see it either on film. He reminds me also of R. Homan from OSU. Similar explosion numbers, productive college career, etc. Homan was drafted in 6th round. Concussions killed his career. I guess what I'm saying is that while I think Linebacker should be addressed with the 17th or 21st I don't think I would draft him there. To me he looks like a 2nd rounder. What the hell do I know though everybody has him going early.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUcrQcHP6qs"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUcrQcHP6qs[/url]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iz1g1K-wPqo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iz1g1K-wPqo[/url]

Vs

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXsxoisEmxQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXsxoisEmxQ[/url]

Vs

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffWXqjMobAo&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffWXqjMobAo&feature=related[/url]

The guy who looks the best on the highlights ran the worst and we dont want to touch him with a ten foot pole.

[quote name='Phatcat' timestamp='1332426184' post='1110372']
I wonder how Kuechly did in the team interview. Was he a slam dunk like Whitworth was? No one projected Whitworth to anything other than a a very good LG and now is a top LT in the league. As well as the undisputed leader of the team. Could Kuechly be that type of guy on Defense, especially at Middle Linebacker? Smarts, game tape, athletism and all the intangibles and great character as well.

I'm not saying he is that guy just throwing it out there.
[/quote]

On paper he screams stud. On video he seems dull.

[quote name='nkywestside' timestamp='1332426526' post='1110375']

The times from the combine are impressive. However, I don't see it either on film. He reminds me also of R. Homan from OSU. Similar explosion numbers, productive college career, etc. Homan was drafted in 6th round. Concussions killed his career. I guess what I'm saying is that while I think Linebacker should be addressed with the 17th or 21st I don't think I would draft him there. To me he looks like a 2nd rounder. What the hell do I know though everybody has him going early.
[/quote]

I agree with you. You watch the tape you see one thing. You read the reports, see his numbers and the combine and he should be a top 5 pick.

I'm not sure what you guys are seeing. Kuechly was rated the top ILB in the draft [b]before[/b] the combine. It's not like he was a second round prospect who had a better combine than anyone expected.

The guy has the most important thing I want in a MLB. He does not miss tackles.

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1332426694' post='1110379']

I agree with you. You watch the tape you see one thing. You read the reports, see his numbers and the combine and he should be a top 5 pick.
[/quote]
Watching your Burflict tape is funny because I see the same game speed as Kuechley's, yet we all know the timed speeds are worlds apart. It will be interesting if we don't go LB at 17 or 21. Marvin will have some say I bet on Burflict in rounds 2-5 if he's on the board when they pick.

[quote name='nkywestside' timestamp='1332427352' post='1110382']
Watching your Burflict tape is funny because I see the same game speed as Kuechley's, yet we all know the timed speeds are worlds apart. It will be interesting if we don't go LB at 17 or 21. Marvin will have some say I bet on Burflict in rounds 2-5 if he's on the board when they pick.
[/quote]

I think Burflict looks faster then him.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1332427330' post='1110381']
I'm not sure what you guys are seeing. Kuechly was rated the top ILB in the draft [b]before[/b] the combine. It's not like he was a second round prospect who had a better combine than anyone expected.

The guy has the most important thing I want in a MLB. He does not miss tackles.
[/quote]

He ran faster then anyone expected and that his game tape shows.

Archived